Forum Settings
Forums

Watching Fate kaleid liner prisma illya oath under snow movie without knowing almost everything.

New
Nov 10, 2017 8:20 PM
Nov 2017
My friend invited me to watch a movie together . But I didnt watch/play the fate series at all. Although, I do know the basic idea of the story from wikis.

So, is it still possible to for me to enjoy the movie or I have to watch the series first to enjoy? Noted that I only had a little time to watch some anime episodes.
Nov 10, 2017 8:26 PM

Mar 2013
You might be able to enjoy it since it's set in another dimension/world from the original Prisma Illya anime, but you'd be spoiling yourself too because that movie is a back story of one of the characters from the show.

Nov 10, 2017 8:26 PM
Jul 2018
You can but I won't recommended it.

But you can start with season 1 of Fate/Kaleid and then season 2-4
Nov 11, 2017 6:01 AM
Nov 11, 2017 6:02 AM

Apr 2016
Just watch Zero it's the best and it's the original.
Nov 11, 2017 6:02 AM

Sep 2009
It's just lolis and yuri-bait; there's nothing to know.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 11, 2017 7:16 AM

Jun 2016
Moved from the Anime Discussion Board.
Nov 11, 2017 11:57 PM

Jan 2015
You can but I wouldn't recommend it. From my feeling, Prisma series' tension relied a lot on your pre-exist knowledge of Nasuverse. Hence, while this series doesn't require you to know any other series first, it is still better to do so.

At least hit up Fate/zero and Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Work(ufotable) first.
Nov 13, 2017 6:53 AM

Oct 2015
I have watch both Fate/stay night UBW and Fate/Zero. But I did not watch fate/kaleid at all, so can I still enjoy the movie without being confuse?
Nov 13, 2017 6:59 AM

Apr 2016
Maruko-san said:
I have watch both Fate/stay night UBW and Fate/Zero. But I did not watch fate/kaleid at all, so can I still enjoy the movie without being confuse?

This movie has three seasons as prequels, so what do you think ?
Nov 13, 2017 7:29 AM

Oct 2015
Swagernator said:
Maruko-san said:

That's why I'm asking, well ok I might get confuse, but can I still enjoyed it?
Nov 13, 2017 10:58 PM
Jul 2010
I guess you can. Lets be real here. Do you really want to watch 4 seasons of magic girl/gimmicky "fate fanservice" stuff? I think not many people do, that haven't already tried it yet and it is really hard to convince them that the show is worth their time, because the exterior of the show is very off-putting.
As far as i know, this movie is much more serious and without any magical girl stuff, also it is a prequel so there shouldn't be a need for external knowledge. So it probably is safe for you to watch it and you might even enjoy it (if Silver Link didn't mess up action and animation this time).

The problem is, that your friend will probably have the same low quality youtube rip with korean hardsubs that is floating on internet. So i really doubt it is going to be enjoyable to watch especially on bigger screen. In that regard you might be better without watching it in that way.
Urban_DruidNov 13, 2017 11:09 PM
Nov 14, 2017 8:30 AM

Dec 2009
DNI_R said:
I guess you can. Lets be real here. Do you really want to watch 4 seasons of magic girl/gimmicky "fate fanservice" stuff? I think not many people do, that haven't already tried it yet and it is really hard to convince them that the show is worth their time, because the exterior of the show is very off-putting.
As far as i know, this movie is much more serious and without any magical girl stuff, also it is a prequel so there shouldn't be a need for external knowledge. So it probably is safe for you to watch it and you might even enjoy it (if Silver Link didn't mess up action and animation this time).

The problem is, that your friend will probably have the same low quality youtube rip with korean hardsubs that is floating on internet. So i really doubt it is going to be enjoyable to watch especially on bigger screen. In that regard you might be better without watching it in that way.

Fate Kaleid isn't just magical girl/fanservicey stuff, it's a full fledged Fate series that has a bunch of different elements. In terms of how serious the series has been, the tone from 3rei carried over to this movie so acting like this arc/movie is the only worthwhile part of the series is ridiculous. This may be a "Prequel" but it's meant to be viewed after the first 4 seasons and that's how it played out in the manga, it brings up terms and plotpoints you wouldn't understand otherwise. The 5th season is going to continue directly after too, carrying over the tone from this arc with Shirou. Getting sick of people acting like fanservice makes a series inherently bad.
Nov 14, 2017 2:37 PM
Jul 2010
Aiko_Hiroshi said:
Fate Kaleid isn't just magical girl/fanservicey stuff, it's a full fledged Fate series that has a bunch of different elements. In terms of how serious the series has been, the tone from 3rei carried over to this movie so acting like this arc/movie is the only worthwhile part of the series is ridiculous. This may be a "Prequel" but it's meant to be viewed after the first 4 seasons and that's how it played out in the manga, it brings up terms and plotpoints you wouldn't understand otherwise. The 5th season is going to continue directly after too, carrying over the tone from this arc with Shirou. Getting sick of people acting like fanservice makes a series inherently bad.

You misunderstood me. I just meant to say, that that's how it looks to people that never heard of Kaleid Liner. At least in my environment no one is interested in the show because of magical girls and fanservice and it is extremely hard to convince them that the show might be worth their time. And even then, the whole first season is nothing, but that + action. I get that you are a big fan of series and manga, and I definitely don't say that show is bad, i watched all 4 seasons of it, but my statement is that its exterior is off-putting and not many people are going to watch the series because of that.
And i get what you want to say, but i really doubt that the movie may be completely impossible to enjoy if taken out of context. Sure, there might be stuff that the person is not going to understand, but if he doesn't care about the whole Kaleid Liner series, i can't see how that is a bad thing to watch only this movie out of context for such an occasion and not to enjoy it to some extent especially when he already knows a bit about Fate, so it will just play like some alternate story to him. Sure, i haven't watched the movie myself yet, and i can be wrong, in that case i apologize, but this is my speculation.
Urban_DruidNov 14, 2017 2:42 PM
Nov 14, 2017 7:03 PM

Dec 2009
DNI_R said:
Aiko_Hiroshi said:

You misunderstood me. I just meant to say, that that's how it looks to people that never heard of Kaleid Liner. At least in my environment no one is interested in the show because of magical girls and fanservice and it is extremely hard to convince them that the show might be worth their time. And even then, the whole first season is nothing, but that + action. I get that you are a big fan of series and manga, and I definitely don't say that show is bad, i watched all 4 seasons of it, but my statement is that its exterior is off-putting and not many people are going to watch the series because of that.
And i get what you want to say, but i really doubt that the movie may be completely impossible to enjoy if taken out of context. Sure, there might be stuff that the person is not going to understand, but if he doesn't care about the whole Kaleid Liner series, i can't see how that is a bad thing to watch only this movie out of context for such an occasion and not to enjoy it to some extent especially when he already knows a bit about Fate, so it will just play like some alternate story to him. Sure, i haven't watched the movie myself yet, and i can be wrong, in that case i apologize, but this is my speculation.

You're definitely wrong about enjoying it as a stand alone, because it has a cliff hanger ending that leads back into the actual plot of the series and doesn't make sense without knowing the series itself. Nothing concerning the villains, the fate of certain characters, etc, is actually resolved in the movie/arc itself. This is true because the movie itself is just an adaptation of the next arc of the manga which is presented narration style by Shirou, so while it may be a prequel in the timeline it still was presented in the manga after knowing all the events leading to Shirou telling the story of this arc. There is no actual speculation, go watch it for yourself and confirm what I'm saying (Since what I'm saying are actual facts).
Nov 14, 2017 11:32 PM

Jun 2015
Aiko_Hiroshi said:
DNI_R said:

You're definitely wrong about enjoying it as a stand alone, because it has a cliff hanger ending that leads back into the actual plot of the series and doesn't make sense without knowing the series itself. Nothing concerning the villains, the fate of certain characters, etc, is actually resolved in the movie/arc itself. This is true because the movie itself is just an adaptation of the next arc of the manga which is presented narration style by Shirou, so while it may be a prequel in the timeline it still was presented in the manga after knowing all the events leading to Shirou telling the story of this arc. There is no actual speculation, go watch it for yourself and confirm what I'm saying (Since what I'm saying are actual facts).

I've watched it, and while characters like Angelica and the short appearance Darius don't make much sense without having watched 3rei, I think it works well enough as a prequel to Kaleid. Most of the stuff needed to appreciate the film, such as
You probably can't watch it and then just forget about Kaleid, because there's a lot of stuff unresolved, but you can probably introduce Kaleid through this movie and have someone watch the rest of the series if they can stomach the lolis. It's kind of like having someone watch Zero before Stay Night (cue the massive watch order arguments), where it's of course HIGHLY recommended to read the source material first, but there's nothing truly wrong with having watched the prequel as a standalone, especially if they have BIG reservations about watching the rest.

However, watching this movie without any prior Fate/ experience is a MASSIVE mistake. The movie only truly works as a response to the themes covered in Zero and Stay Night, and it relies on knowing the general characters of Kerry and Shirou, along with some idea of how the Nasuverse itself works. So for the person who posted this topic, I would not recommend this movie to them.
-Sherou-Nov 14, 2017 11:38 PM

Nov 14, 2017 11:56 PM

Dec 2009
KingOfSherous said:
Aiko_Hiroshi said:

I've watched it, and while characters like Angelica and the short appearance Darius don't make much sense without having watched 3rei, I think it works well enough as a prequel to Kaleid. Most of the stuff needed to appreciate the film, such as
You probably can't watch it and then just forget about Kaleid, because there's a lot of stuff unresolved, but you can probably introduce Kaleid through this movie and have someone watch the rest of the series if they can stomach the lolis. It's kind of like having someone watch Zero before Stay Night (cue the massive watch order arguments), where it's of course HIGHLY recommended to read the source material first, but there's nothing truly wrong with having watched the prequel as a standalone, especially if they have BIG reservations about watching the rest.

However, watching this movie without any prior Fate/ experience is a MASSIVE mistake. The movie only truly works as a response to the themes covered in Zero and Stay Night, and it relies on knowing the general characters of Kerry and Shirou, along with some idea of how the Nasuverse itself works. So for the person who posted this topic, I would not recommend this movie to them.

I disagree but only because I think the people with reservations are dumb. It's fucking stupid for people that shit on the Prisma Illya series to jump on and enjoy one of the best arcs just because the focus isn't on Illya (and the fanservice is not there for this arc) and still refuse to watch any other part of the series afterwards. Honestly I just want those type of shit fans to stay out of my favorite Fate series if they're only interested only when it aligns with their interests. God this crap pisses me off.
Nov 15, 2017 12:01 AM

Jun 2015
Aiko_Hiroshi said:

I disagree but only because I think the people with reservations are dumb. It's fucking stupid for people that shit on the Prisma Illya series to jump on and enjoy one of the best arcs just because the focus isn't on Illya (and the fanservice is not there for this arc) and still refuse to watch any other part of the series afterwards. Honestly I just want those type of shit fans to stay out of my favorite Fate series if they're only interested only when it aligns with their interests. God this crap pisses me off.

I guess you can consider me a shit fan, because most of Kaleid outside of 3rei is just too creepy for me, and I wouldn' t force those parts on anyone. I absolutely love what the author does with Nasuverse lore, but the fact that its sandwiched in between lots of fanservice is a major turnoff.

Nov 15, 2017 12:58 AM

Nov 2011
KingOfSherous said:
Aiko_Hiroshi said:

I guess you can consider me a shit fan, because most of Kaleid outside of 3rei is just too creepy for me, and I wouldn' t force those parts on anyone. I absolutely love what the author does with Nasuverse lore, but the fact that its sandwiched in between lots of fanservice is a major turnoff.

My main reason for staying away from the series.

Nov 15, 2017 2:24 AM

Apr 2016
*it's just loli fanservice for lolicons*
- Finally discussion about Prisma we've been promised.

KingOfSherous said:
but the fact that its sandwiched in between lots of fanservice is a major turnoff.

Fate franchise was built on stones of fanservice, but now it's problem lol.
SwagernatorNov 15, 2017 2:28 AM
Nov 15, 2017 2:50 AM

Jun 2015
Swagernator said:

KingOfSherous said:
but the fact that its sandwiched in between lots of fanservice is a major turnoff.

Fate franchise was built on stones of fanservice, but now it's problem lol.

*sandwiched in between lots of loli fanservice. Happy now?

Nov 15, 2017 2:55 AM

Apr 2016
KingOfSherous said:
*sandwiched in between lots of loli fanservice. Happy now?

Dont worry, i understand that Prisma is not for everyone, and yes, the lolis are main reason for that, but still it is one of the best things Fate has, as you said "what the author does with Nasuverse lore" is just great, so i pity those who are turned off from this series just because of lolis ... they are missing a lot from Fate.
Nov 16, 2017 12:21 AM
Jul 2018
You could watch it but you would then miss some of the impact later on and why it was built up from 3rei. So I would suggest to watch the original series first and get into this.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
NexuNov 16, 2017 5:30 PM
Nov 16, 2017 5:26 PM

Jun 2016
Thread cleaned, please remember to stay civil or the thread will be locked.
NexuNov 16, 2017 5:40 PM
Feb 5, 2018 11:44 PM
Aug 2016
I have watched fate/zero and fate/stay night and fate /UBW....so should i watch the movie without knowing much about Fate/Kaleid ?(is it just like a backstory to the entire Fate/Kaleid series?)
Feb 6, 2018 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
D27 said:
I have watched fate/zero and fate/stay night and fate /UBW....so should i watch the movie without knowing much about Fate/Kaleid ?(is it just like a backstory to the entire Fate/Kaleid series?)

Don't do it. Do yourself a favor and go watch pryllia first.
Feb 6, 2018 1:09 PM
Jul 2010
Well i watched the movie, and concerning the original question "So, is it still possible to for me to enjoy the movie or I have to watch the series first to enjoy?" I still would say it's possible. Though person doing it is not going to feel emotionally attached to Myu and Shirou's fight for his sister will not have an impact. Still this is probably the best portrayal of Shirou, ever seen in animated media and if a person has already seen Fate Stay Night for example, he might get something enjoyable out of this movie too.
But definitely not recommended to watch this before the show.
Feb 6, 2018 8:00 PM
Aug 2010
Swagernator said:

"it's the original", that what a casual that claims to be an expert on the fate franchise would say, it would be a bad choice for anyone to follow your recommendations on the subject.
Feb 6, 2018 8:04 PM

Jul 2009
Hans_0819 said:
Swagernator said:

"it's the original", that what a casual that claims to be an expert on the fate franchise would say, it would be a bad choice for anyone to follow your recommendations on the subject.

He was being sarcastic
Dec 10, 2021 1:36 AM

Feb 2021
Swagernator said:
Maruko-san said:

no it doesn't. the movie is a prequel to kaleid and while watching the show helps the viewing experience, it is not mandatroy.
Swagernator said:

also, "just watch fate/zero" is the worst thing you can say when talking about this movie cause shiro is the mc here and also zero isn't the original it came long after the vn
Eat ass and spew sass!

Dec 10, 2021 2:28 AM

Apr 2016
You literally had it written right above you, and you missed it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya Movie: Sekka no Chikai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Nov 5, 2017

120 by Karva1 »»
Feb 23, 3:48 PM

» Why Angelica’s logic is stupid

Firehazard105 - Oct 22, 2020

4 by trinity_frost »»
Dec 10, 2021 1:32 AM

» Fix this

39sebascq - Nov 22, 2017

37 by Alexioos95 »»
Aug 31, 2021 12:38 PM

» Can I watch this?

QuarioX - May 22, 2020

2 by POCHBOOT »»
May 11, 2021 1:51 AM

» Ilya's world Sakura

MLXIX - May 11, 2018

2 by SomeGuyWithHair »»
May 23, 2020 8:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.