Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Oct 10, 2018 3:19 PM

Feb 2012
So Matthew was making a philosphers stone our of cats lol?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 17, 2018 8:04 PM

May 2013
Loved it. My prediction was right that Matthew became the neko murderer >.<
So sad. I'm glad they were set free. But this means that evil sorcerer would likely appear later on :3

My fave part was when Elias licked Chise's neck wound *heart eyes* Super sexy ;D ;D
Nov 8, 2018 5:34 PM

Apr 2015
I wish someone would lick my neck like that.

Wow, drinking another being’s blood can fuck your shit up. No surprise there. Crazy goddamn alchemist.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 4, 2019 8:55 AM

Mar 2015
I love cats very much so this episode was a bit painful to watch but it ended positively!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 5, 2019 11:43 AM

Sep 2018
Interesting and very engaging episode, poignant even at the end. The twists even this time are missing, great!
Dec 5, 2019 3:02 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Mathew and Mina's story was beautiful, not for the cats though.
Mar 1, 2020 3:16 AM

Apr 2013
Good thing that Chise did not get swayed by the talk of people who hold a dagger to her throat, that happens too often in anime. Wonder if we'll see that sorcerer from the past again, what a scumbag.
Apr 22, 2020 3:07 AM

Jun 2013
It was pretty obvious from the last episode that Matthew went Jason Voorhees on those cats. Still, seeing him slaughter cats was unsettling. I feel sick to my stomach whenever I see animals and children being abused whether it's fictional or not.

I understand that he did for his wife but I still can't sympathize with him. I don't feel sorry for Mina much since we don't know much about her either except that she's frail, likes her pet Tim who is the king and turned into caca after drinking kitty blood.

I want to see that demon again though. He cute. At least Molly didn't die, the little girl can have a kitty mama.
臭い-
May 24, 2020 9:18 AM

Mar 2010
Being deceived sucks especially if your doing it out of blind love. To only do more harm than good. Well I can't say I feel bad for those cats getting slaughtered though. We do it all the time with other animals. Life is only for those who seek death. Death is life. How we live in between is up to us.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 13, 2020 2:56 AM

Feb 2017
Wow, this show is mesmerizing. The high fantasy/slice of life paring is magnificent, the atmosphere is beautiful and almost hypnotic, and the poignant and macabre moments as Chise is forced to confront death and tragedy... I think I might love this show.

My heart almost broke when I thought Chise was going to have to obliterate them and also sacrifice Molly... she’s so deeply scarred, yet still cares for others so much. I don’t think she believes in her own happiness, but I do think she believes in protecting others’ happiness. Now that she knows her time is limited, I wonder if it’ll even change anything in her. She’s the type to self sacrifice everything, valuing every life except her own and bringing about her own self-destruction in the process. Hopefully Elias can protect her, not only from others but from herself.

tl;dr Chise is my baby girl, please protect her at all costs. Let her learn to love herself.
Sep 13, 2020 2:56 AM

Feb 2017
Wow, this show is mesmerizing. The high fantasy/slice of life paring is magnificent, the atmosphere is beautiful and almost hypnotic, and the poignant and macabre moments as Chise is forced to confront death and tragedy... I think I might love this show.

My heart almost broke when I thought Chise was going to have to obliterate them and also sacrifice Molly... she’s so deeply scarred, yet still cares for others so much. I don’t think she believes in her own happiness, but I do think she believes in protecting others’ happiness. Now that she knows her time is limited, I wonder if it’ll even change anything in her. She’s the type to self sacrifice everything, valuing every life except her own and bringing about her own self-destruction in the process. Hopefully Elias can protect her, not only from others but from herself.

tl;dr Chise is my baby girl, please protect her at all costs. Let her learn to love herself.
Nov 8, 2020 12:12 PM

May 2016
Man this was worst choice to watch after a bad day I felt miserable.
Dec 20, 2020 4:17 AM

Jul 2017
Phenomenal episode again, this show is off to an even better start than I remembered and I really loved the start too when I was watching it weekly. Chise's scene when declining the option to be free by Renfred, stating that Elias was the first person to recognize her as family and see the value of who she really is rather than abuse her physically and psychologically and wanting to throw her out, or betray her by taking their own life like her very own mother. She may be dying early but given everything that happened, she would rather die with someone who called her genuinely like family than leave that.

The story with Matthew and Mina was pretty tragic but sadly, stories like these are far too common even in the real world. Matthew doing anything in his power to help his wife cure her illness, but sadly just meeting the wrong person to give advice to him, which led to both his and his wife's downfall at the very end when the potion Matthew made from killing cats and using their extra lives per say, failed and just made her wife explode and die in the process. The cat king even had to take him out since he was too much of a demon to be alive, despite him knowing how Matthew was a great person who just fell into the wrong hands and bought into the demon's methods per say.

Atleast Chise with the assistance of the fairies, managed to help cleanse Matthew and Mina and carry them to the afterlife where the corruption that held them in darkness for eternity would no longer be the barrier between them and finding peace in the afterlife. The scene where they met each other again, and embraced in the afterlife with the help of the wind was really touching, the way the show's able to craft stories like these with new characters is astounding and Chise's the perfect kind of character to help them and grow herself while still showing a genuine personality already too already. Violet Evergarden's character has nothing at all in comparison to Chise Hatori for me. Glad to see everything go well as Chise's potential as a mage really is blossoming, and so is her loyalty to Elias, who has exposed Chise to a world where she can grow out of her shell and develop her own character through learning many people's different experiences and knowledge and using her powers to assist them out.

Also, the music and animation was stellar as usual again, especially during the final scene with Matthew and Mina happily and tearfully reunite in the afterlife in a powerful scene. The audiovisual presentation has been outstanding so far like the content.
May 17, 2021 1:42 AM

Aug 2019
this show is getting better with each episode, couldn’t imagine how it feels to see your loved one get turned into a puddle of goop in your arms
May 18, 2021 11:23 PM
Oct 2019
by far my least favorite episode. had to skip through the end of the backstory and most of the "purification" at the end. once we saw the black goo form and the cats kill the dude, it became a total snooze fest
Jun 15, 2021 2:30 PM

Jan 2021
I hope that in the later episodes the sorcerer that deceived mathew pays for what he did if he appears again
Jul 4, 2021 2:35 PM
Sep 2020
Well their story was very sad but in the end they had a happy ending , kind of !!! At least Chise found a way to let them go without erasing them !!! She is pretty smart !!

Very emotional episode !! I felt like crying at times , this anime really is something special its very good !!!
Jul 22, 2021 7:24 PM
Apr 2016
Sad episode I ever seen
Oct 20, 2021 3:53 PM

Sep 2017
So basically Sorcerer = bad.
Oct 24, 2021 3:13 PM

Jan 2021
Holy shit I'm sorry but I bursted out laughing when she exploded, I hate myself AHEAHAAHHAHA.
Dec 7, 2021 9:09 AM
Nov 2020
I love how feelings of suicide and self-worth are the main themes in this anime. the visual in this episode is beautiful!
Sep 24, 2022 1:27 AM
Aug 2018
eautiful animation but that's all, I don't watch anime for this
Oct 19, 2022 2:35 PM

May 2020
As a person who've had cats as pet in the past, this episode made me sick down to my stomach. As much as I blame that sorcerer, there's no denying the fact Matthew deserved the payback he got.

Quite an episode to up the emotion sentiments. It was tragic but atleast the conclusion was far from it.
Dec 23, 2022 8:41 PM
Dec 2021
i like the story of mina and matthew
Dec 23, 2022 9:28 PM

Nov 2022
I have so many feelings about this episode, i don't even know what to say.

Chise's got her own reasons for hanging out with Elias. They might not be good reasons, but what's she going to do? Go hang out with the sorcerers?

I like how Mina and Matthew's relationship kind of mirrors Chise and Elias's, but... strange. Mina is going to die, Matthew will do anything to keep her from dying because he loves her. Chise is going to die, but Elias doesn't seem to be doing anything. Then again, Matthew's love (and a bit of a helping hand from creepy shota sorcerer) drives him to do horrible things. Despite the title, "Love Conquers All", it's not a traditional take on romantic relationships.
Dec 25, 2022 5:03 PM
Jan 2022
Feeling is there. You might cry.
Love is the thing that precious to me.
If i can be forever with my Wife. I would die happily
Feb 11, 2023 12:04 PM

Jan 2021
Killing cats to save his wife... but it was all in vain because he was just tricked by that evil witch. He just wanted his wife to be recovered from her illness, and... it did happen, but that wasn't the kind of recovery he was looking for. I hope they can be happy together now.

I guess that witch will reappear in some future episodes, I hope Chise won't forget his appearance so she can be careful (unless he has the ability to change his face).

Mar 12, 2023 6:41 PM

Feb 2019
.you know it's gonna be a sad episode when it starts showing the backstories of a random couple, such a terrible thing to have happen to you
"Do you believe in gravity?"
Mar 29, 2023 12:43 PM

Jun 2019
Damn... this episode was super dark but I guess Mathew and Mina had a happy ending. So... it's great.
Apr 3, 2023 1:54 PM

Dec 2018
that's not the actual story of the cats of ulthar by h.p. lovecraft but interesting all the same. i implore anyone so inclined to read it.
Apr 8, 2023 12:14 AM
Mar 2022
I normally skip the intro song after an episode but it's so good I never skip it. The depth and story telling is amazing. They time everything perfectly. I'm just still confused about the whole fiancee thing
May 15, 2023 4:47 PM
Apr 2022
I'm not crying what?!
May 15, 2023 4:47 PM
Apr 2022
I'm not crying what?!
Jun 5, 2023 3:30 PM
Apr 2018
I don't think Matthew "loved" Mina entirely authentically, he was evidently wounded.
Not sure I'm happy with how that went down.
Jun 23, 2023 8:43 PM

Jul 2008
So all alchemists are aholes....yeah I see why cats hate them.
Jun 26, 2023 9:11 PM
Jul 2022
This episode was really dark. A man who loved his wife even though she was sick and a woman who adored him through it all. Matthew and Mina's story is so sad. I feel bad that he was tricked, he did everything he could for her. Seeing him try to grab what's left of his wife and then calling out for her even after death was heartbreaking.
Jul 11, 2023 7:11 AM
Jan 2020
The best episode I've ever watched was episode 5 of The Ancient Magus. The writing was so tight, the acting was superb, and the plot twists were mind-blowing. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, and I couldn't believe how it all turned out. It was a truly masterful piece of the Anime genre.
Aug 12, 2023 5:28 PM

Aug 2019
that sure was an episide.
chise looked cool with the white robe in the field of blue flowers
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 30, 2023 5:55 PM

Jan 2010
Well, that was amazingly horrific. I suppose there's very little as fearsome, or tragic, as a person doing something horrible while thinking they're doing something right. What's worse is if it's for the sake of another, especially if they didn't ask for it.
Jan 12, 9:00 AM
Jun 2022
Reply to Stark700
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Interesting episode, they are adapting chapter 6+ pretty well in terms of capturing Chise's role in this story.

Then, there's the part with Matthew feeling despair after realizing that he can't save Mina. The episode did a neat job at expressing the despair imo and violence imo. For Chise, I hope she realizes that Elias will be there to protect her.

A pretty thrilling episode arc with cats, magic, and showing what love can drive a person can do for someone. Such beautiful soundtrack used this episode for the end too...I can't wait for the OST to come out for this anime.
Brilliant episode and i know we're going to see that guy soon .
Btw i know Mina's married but still she's dam* gorgeous , and I'm going to simp for her , I'm really glad that she's getting what she really deserves instead of being destroyed from existence !
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

375 by yelansh »»
Mar 30, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

119 by Thaliel »»
Dec 18, 2023 11:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.