Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Do you think Death Note deserve a remake?
Nov 2, 2017 1:40 PM

Mar 2017
Most of us have probably watched Death Note as a starter anime.

Death Note is more than a decade old anime. Since then technology and animation have quite improved.

So, do you think Death Note deserve a remake with a slightly better plot.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 2, 2017 1:41 PM

Feb 2013
define deserve

cause the rules of anime creation are against stuff like "remake with a slightly better plot"

anyway, death note done by kyoani would be nice.. lelouch and L would be part of a swimming team
Nov 2, 2017 1:41 PM

Mar 2017
I have never watched Death Note because of the animation for the most part, so I think IF it was remade I would then probably watch it.

EDIT: But I gotta agree with others here, it doesn't "need" it.
-Melancholy-Nov 2, 2017 2:49 PM

CURRENT OTPS - Kaito Kid x Shinichi Kudou
CURRENT OBSESSION - Detective Conan
CURRENTLY PLAYING - Spyro | Crash Bandicoot
CURRENTLY LISTENING TO - WRLD: By Design
CURRENT HUSBAND - Kaitou Kid
Nov 2, 2017 1:42 PM

Sep 2017
Kenny_Stryker said:
Most of us have probably watched Death Note as a starter anime.

Death Note is more than a decade old anime. Since then technology and animation have quite improved.

So, do you think Death Note deserve a remake with a slightly better plot.

I literally had the same post in another thread. Yes please. This is one of the rare moments where the live action is better than the anime.

"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Nov 2, 2017 1:43 PM

Sep 2016
Netflix tried it, and you saw what happened. Plus, Death Note isn't even good, better leave remakes for better things.
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

Oct 2016
Its not about deserving one, more about needing one. Does it need one? The original is pretty damn good even with the spoiler. Remakes tend to miss what makes the original good.
"It's the same sense of loss I feel when a slice-of-life series ends... The despair of knowing that their lives will still continue on, yet I won't be able to see it..."
~Hajime Tsunashi from Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken

Jul 2013
Technically, the Netflix live action was a remake, so...
Nov 2, 2017 1:45 PM

Dec 2016
Nope. The original's animation is decent even by today's standards, and it pretty much followed the manga IIRC, so changing the plot to have a different outcome would just be pointless in my opinion.

What's the difference?
Nov 2, 2017 1:47 PM

Mar 2017
romagia said:
define deserve

cause the rules of anime creation are against stuff like "remake with a slightly better plot"

anyway, death note done by kyoani would be nice.. lelouch and L would be part of a swimming team

If you have watched the anime and Japanese live action movie, then read the spoilers, you'll get your answer.
Nov 2, 2017 1:47 PM
May 2017
Death Note's animation is fine...?
Nov 2, 2017 1:50 PM

Jul 2017
Same here, nope. Honestly don't think Death Note deserves a remake, I mean they were some parts of it that could've been done better
but overall I think that the show was done good

Nov 2, 2017 1:52 PM

Jan 2008
They still need to introduce the rest of the alphabet.
Nov 2, 2017 1:53 PM
Aug 2016
>implying that dn's animation doesn't fit today's standards
>?
Nov 2, 2017 1:54 PM

Apr 2011
It's really not needed. The anime is good as it is.
Nov 2, 2017 1:56 PM

Nov 2013
Death note does not need to remake, because even if to consider the personality of the characters and the form they usually communicate, was well saturated, in addition to the projection of the thought of each, if it is to get a Remake, only a few details that really need,But the Netflix Need. (My opinion)

Nov 2, 2017 1:57 PM

Feb 2013
Lol, people complain about the animation from Death Note, and I watched it twice and never saw any problems with it, my eyes must be really bad.
Nov 2, 2017 1:59 PM

Feb 2013
Kenny_Stryker said:
romagia said:
define deserve

If you have watched the anime and Japanese live action movie, then read the spoilers, you'll get your answer.
that doesnt really define 'deserve'

what makes death note deserving of a remake?
Nov 2, 2017 2:01 PM

Apr 2017
Well , I didn't have any issues with this series except the final episodes which were milked a lot , I wish the creator will release another manga and end this show in a good way without milking it too much. Then madhouse will adapt it oh wait , why am I dreaming ??

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Nov 2, 2017 2:05 PM

Oct 2015
I'm all for a remake of Death Note but with a different ending

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
NexuNov 2, 2017 2:46 PM
Nov 2, 2017 2:06 PM

Oct 2014
Ulquiorra said:
Lol, people complain about the animation from Death Note, and I watched it twice and never saw any problems with it, my eyes must be really bad.

or they just don't know what good shot com-positioning is.

You know what anime needs a remake?
Fist of the north star?

Nov 2, 2017 2:07 PM

Jan 2013
Nah, there are too many things that can go wrong. Just look what they did to Berserk. They released 3 half-assed full CGI remake movies, they look like shit, the animation is like in some cheap video game, they cut important dialogues and parts of the story - and people still watch them because muh better animation (rly?). I'll pass, DN's animation is still decent by today standards.
fuyukiNov 2, 2017 2:11 PM
Nov 2, 2017 2:07 PM

Oct 2015
It's perfectly fine as it is. No need for one.
Nov 2, 2017 2:09 PM

Aug 2017
Death Notes animation till date is worth watching and experiencing something special.

The story sticks to the manga properly so does it perfectly, So no there is no need for an adaptation.
Nov 2, 2017 2:14 PM

Feb 2013
Bourmegar said:
Ulquiorra said:

Fist of the north star?

Oh yeah, that would be awesome.
But I'm afraid of the censorship.
Nov 2, 2017 2:15 PM
Dec 2013
No it doesn't. The original anime is already a faithful adaptation of the manga and the animation still holds up today.
Nov 2, 2017 2:15 PM

Oct 2014
Ulquiorra said:
Bourmegar said:

Fist of the north star?

Oh yeah, that would be awesome.
But I'm afraid of the censorship.

then let it be an OVA, then it's free from Censorship
Nov 2, 2017 2:22 PM

Oct 2017
how about an alternate ending where

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
NexuNov 2, 2017 2:48 PM
Nov 2, 2017 2:28 PM

Jun 2017
Just add some shining filtrer and you'll gat a "modern-looking" anime.
(I don't have the feeling animation improved that much, it only depends of budget/will animators)
My hd version of death note looks good.

Also, for the plot part,
I guess the anime follows the story of the original material.
If don't think that because you don't like it, there should be a remake.

Finally, Why bother remaking art and plot ? Let's just create a new anime, I'm sure there is a lot of others interesting stories worth being made into anime.

Nov 2, 2017 2:30 PM

Dec 2015
Its not about it deserving a remake or not, it's about it already being good enough of an anime. It doesn't need a remake.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Nov 2, 2017 2:47 PM

Jun 2016
Moved from the Anime Discussion Board.

As well, please tag your spoilers.
Nov 2, 2017 2:49 PM

Feb 2010
Mr. Expert can you explain to me how specifically 'animation has improved' since Death Note? That's one of these statements that disqualifies you from being taken seriously because it's such obvious bullshit. Some things don't get automatically better just because they're newer and animation is one of those things.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 2, 2017 2:53 PM

Oct 2014
Pullman said:
Mr. Expert can you explain to me how specifically 'animation has improved' since Death Note? That's one of these statements that disqualifies you from being taken seriously because it's such obvious bullshit. Some things don't get automatically better just because they're newer and animation is one of those things.

Plus its not just Animation that makes it look good, shot-composition does that to (and that's why Berserk 1997 will always look better than Berserk 2016/2017)
Nov 4, 2017 11:05 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
If it was somehow a non-faithful adaptation of the manga that led to that plot (like let's say FMA 2003) then sure, but seeing as that is not the case... no, definitely not. There are hundreds of series that would need a remake way more than Death Note ever will
Nov 10, 2017 12:55 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Maybe a remasted version since I just rewatched it on Netflix and it being on my flat screen looked kind of grainy but the style and Araki directing shouldn't be touched.
Nov 10, 2017 1:08 PM
Jul 2018
Given 99% of the show is people talking or inner monologuing, there's no need for remake in terms of animation - the anime has more than sufficient animation to tell it's story.

Popularity wise it's still #1 on MAL, even Attack on Titan hasn't quite touched it, it still sells well around the world and gets threads like this. No need to 'revive' it for that reason.

I understand people's frustrations at the way the second half of the story turned out (even though I still enjoyed it) whether that's M & N or whether they disagree with who 'won' but let it go folks, the story turned out how it did and I'd rather we get new 'Death Note' story lines (it would fit the anthology format) than see more remakes for the sake of having loads of alternative endings.
Nov 10, 2017 1:12 PM

Aug 2015
Kenny_Stryker said:
...So, do you think Death Note deserve a remake with a slightly better plot.

Wow man, you just blew it up all the way!

Do you even realize that the things that you're criticizing happen exactly the same in the Manga? So, you just want a new Anime adaptation that doesn't follow the Manga then?
Nov 11, 2017 1:40 PM
Oct 2017
Don't have 2º season???
Nov 11, 2017 1:44 PM

Jun 2015
It's like people think only the last third is bad.

Nov 12, 2017 11:15 AM
Oct 2017
LET'S GO 2 SEASON?? NICE ANIME !!!
Nov 13, 2017 12:51 PM

Jan 2013
The animation is fine as it is, it really doesnt need a remake.
They would probably manage to screw it up.

Just leave Death Note alone, it's a masterpiece on its own, if anything people can learn from the recently released Live Action film. (which I'm not even going to watch after seeing some clips)
Nov 14, 2017 6:55 AM
Oct 2017
Melhor anime de todos, sem duvida.. xD
Nov 14, 2017 6:56 AM

Apr 2015
Maybe in five more years or so.

"Death Note: Brotherhood"
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 1, 2017 4:47 PM

Oct 2016
Absolutely yes. In terms of animation quality things are really good especially for season 1. Storywise everything is really great for season 1 and I gave DN a 10 because even if I didn't quite like the latter part as much season 1 was just that good that I feel the show deserves the 10. IMO all I'd suggest are maybe touchups/improvements done to those like they're already >95% of where they'd need to be in terms of both animation and story for a remake. Like maybe if there was more cool stuff in the manga for season 1 they could consider adding them in too. Mainly it's season 2 and that ending that need work like IMHO an overhaul. Think of an FMA Brotherhood style remake but with storyline changes being mostly in the second season.

I wish that both the manga author and the animation studio would revisit Death Note to give it a better second half and a proper ending. I really felt after the ending that the author ran out of ideas or burned out like maybe he wanted a break but maybe publisher forced him to continue anyways at the cost of quality. I think things could have been a whole lot better if he'd taken a break to help get the motivation and creativity back, everybody gets burnout eventually. And I think he may have the desire seeing as he made a kinda sort of similar manga series afterwards(Platinum End).

I thought about this when on another part of the forum and came here to make a topic similar to this. I'm 100% cool with authors taking breaks since I've seen what happens from burnout as long as it hopefully isn't permanent hiatus. Death Note ending still disappoints me, maybe he'd have made a way more satisfying ending and perhaps the show could have gone on a little bit longer if he'd just taken a break. It really seemed like he abruptly ran out of material and/or motivation, or just simply burned out. IMO it could have been a 9.0+ average score if it stayed strong till the end. It made me wonder if the publisher forces them to continue in order to have X amount of chapters done by a specific deadline.

Even waiting an extra year would be far better than forcing them to continue for disappointing results.

NekO_RelliK said:
how about an alternate ending where

This 100%.

Noesnecesario said:
Netflix tried it, and you saw what happened. Plus, Death Note isn't even good, better leave remakes for better things.

I really don't feel that Netflix thing counts, TBH I hate that thing for possibly harming Death Note's popularity. It looked like garbage and I'm sure the author of Death Note had no involvement over it. Even from just a quick look it's clear to me they changed way too much, like I'm sure would have gotten veto'd if the author had any control with the Netflix show. I consider it like Dragonball Evolution, absolutely no relevance to the actual anime & manga.
Dec 1, 2017 4:49 PM
Jan 2013
Just you wait till we get that Reversi anime
gone bai bai
Dec 1, 2017 4:53 PM

Oct 2016
Mkim said:
Tell me more please. I have no idea about this Reversi series. Maybe it can become another favorite for me.
Dec 1, 2017 5:03 PM
Jan 2013
VersusXV said:
Mkim said:
Tell me more please. I have no idea about this Reversi series. Maybe it can become another favorite for me.
o lol
It's a fictional manga from Bakuman, a manga about making manga on Shounen Jump
It's very heavy on scenarios that takes influences on Obata and Ohba experiences while working on the company, the entire arc surrounding Reversi can be taken as a retelling of Obata and Ohba's production on Death Note, including behind the scene conflict that may or may not be taken as what actually happened
gone bai bai
Dec 1, 2017 5:29 PM

Oct 2016
Mkim said:
VersusXV said:
o lol
It's very heavy on scenarios that takes influences on Obata and Ohba experiences while working on the company, the entire arc surrounding Reversi can be taken as a retelling of Obata and Ohba's production on Death Note, including behind the scene conflict that may or may not be taken as what actually happened

That sounds fascinating, I'm sure it's bound to be an interesting story as IMO something had to have happened at some point. I'm sure the publisher/editor was like "We need this series wrapped up by the end of the month/quarter no matter what" and then on the anime side of things what can they do when it's been published already? The show was genius then kind of fell apart. Or disagreements between them possibly, that would have been disastrous?

What part of Bakuman contains specifically this?
Dec 1, 2017 5:46 PM
Jan 2013
VersusXV said:
Mkim said:
o lol

That sounds fascinating, I'm sure it's bound to be an interesting story as IMO something had to have happened at some point. I'm sure the publisher/editor was like "We need this series wrapped up by the end of the month/quarter no matter what" and then on the anime side of things what can they do when it's been published already? The show was genius then kind of fell apart. Or disagreements between them possibly, that would have been disastrous?

What part of Bakuman contains specifically this?
it's pretty much on the ending, second to last arc
gone bai bai
Dec 1, 2017 6:08 PM
Jul 2018
I think the 2006 Death Note anime is perfectly fine the way it was made/created, and so doesn't need and/or deserve a "better" remake or what-have-you. Of course, that's simply my opinion, so...
Dec 1, 2017 6:10 PM

Sep 2017
death note is one of my favorite anime of all time but i don't think it deserves a remake, even though that ending fucking sucked imo
Edward Elric > your waifu

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

28 by Bunnix21 »»
Apr 30, 1:30 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kei-clone - Mar 21, 2007

121 by misterskinny »»
Apr 27, 8:46 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UFO - Feb 14, 2007

110 by misterskinny »»
Apr 25, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UFO - Feb 7, 2007

132 by misterskinny »»
Apr 25, 9:02 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Xinil - Feb 2, 2007

109 by misterskinny »»
Apr 25, 8:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.