Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 28, 2017 5:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
For some reason, that pink creature is strangely amusing to watch this episode.

Plenty of focus on Phos and while there's not much action or drama as some of the previous episode, the mystique of the anime has my interest especially with that conversation underwater. A very surreal episode.
Oct 28, 2017 12:58 PM

Mar 2013
I wasn't expecting Phos's new friend to sell her out like that. Though now I have to wonder: did she strike that deal before the Lunarians drug her back to earth? Or did she somehow get in touch with them after Phos was saved?
Oct 28, 2017 1:16 PM

Jul 2015
The first half of the episode was really funny.

We got to know more of the setting and... woah, I didn't expect that final part, the next episode can't come soon enough.
Oct 28, 2017 1:20 PM

Jul 2017
Man it just seems that Phos will never get a break at this point, always something bad happening to him/her
Oct 28, 2017 1:23 PM

Jun 2015
The slug falling on Kongou-sensei was amusing. I figured Phos was going to be betrayed by Ventricosus. It's true form is quite intriguing though. Her brother was taken by the Lunarians. Before the betrayal, they had an interesting conversation.
Oct 28, 2017 1:31 PM

Jun 2011
Thesman106 said:
Man it just seems that Phos will never get a break at this point, always something bad happening to him/her

I'd say they got tons of breaks.
Oct 28, 2017 2:08 PM

Oct 2014
I knew that slug shouldn’t be trusted… Phos is always getting into trouble.
Pretty chill episode, hopefully Diamond will figure what happened and save Phos again.
Oct 28, 2017 2:26 PM
Oct 2017
Polycell said:
I wasn't expecting Phos's new friend to sell her out like that. Though now I have to wonder: did she strike that deal before the Lunarians drug her back to earth? Or did she somehow get in touch with them after Phos was saved?

Before, that's why they let her go. She didn't just get toss out by accident.
Oct 28, 2017 3:11 PM
Dec 2015
Intereo said:
Thesman106 said:

I'd say they got tons of breaks.

I sea what you did there. *badum tss*
Oct 28, 2017 3:29 PM

Dec 2016
Ah so the snail have a voice now when it communicates with Phos.

That was funny watching it hit on the master.

Wow it transformed into some kind of woman jellyfish.

Oh no it was a double cross in order to save her brother, I really hope Phos can find a way out of this predicament.

Oct 28, 2017 3:34 PM
Aug 2014
The planet waned 5 times, and on the 6th humans sought shelter in the seas; a possible reference to the 5 mass extinctions and the ensuing 6th.
Oct 28, 2017 4:13 PM
Oct 2017
derprume said:
The planet waned 5 times, and on the 6th humans sought shelter in the seas; a possible reference to the 5 mass extinctions and the ensuing 6th.

The manga never confirms it, but yes. Personally, I don't see it being anything else.
Oct 28, 2017 4:24 PM
Aug 2014
Niello said:
derprume said:

The manga never confirms it, but yes. Personally, I don't see it being anything else.

I am guessing the 6 moons the lunarians reside on refers to the Six realms of desire...
Oct 28, 2017 4:32 PM

Aug 2013
That scene around the 7:00 mark had me laughing...seeing Bort laughing was great. And the "king" flaunting her tits was hilarious as well. #PraiseBeToThem. I can't believe how much I'm liking this show. But that ending tho....dammit with the betrayals.

Sidebar: Manga readers, how's the accuracy game of this show so far?
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 28, 2017 4:35 PM

Oct 2017
Just as I thought what a peaceful episode, something very bad happened again XD.

Damn, don't trust cute slug/ jellyfish.

We did get many world explanation this episode, which is good.
Oct 28, 2017 4:41 PM
Dec 2015
Zantius said:

Pretty accurate. This episode managed to adapt 3 chapters as opposed to the usual 2 chapter per episode formula. After rereading the three chapters which this episode adapted, I can say that only some dialogue was shortened to fit the pace.
Oct 28, 2017 4:43 PM

Aug 2013
Apsidelos said:
Zantius said:

Pretty accurate. This episode managed to adapt 3 chapters as opposed to the usual 2 chapter per episode formula. After rereading the three chapters which this episode adapted, I can say that only some dialogue was shortened to fit the pace.

So that being said, we're at like chapter 14 or 15 right now?
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 28, 2017 4:51 PM
Dec 2015
Zantius said:
Apsidelos said:

The episode finished adapting chapter 9. The anime probably won't go past chapter 30.
Oct 28, 2017 5:03 PM
Oct 2017
derprume said:
Niello said:

I am guessing the 6 moons the lunarians reside on refers to the Six realms of desire...

Yes, the moon they reside on can represent the sixth realm. However, when it comes specifically to the part where six comets crashed with the planet and break pieces of it off, and at the sixth time human fled into the sea; these are fairly clear reference to the major extinction events.
Oct 28, 2017 5:12 PM

Mar 2016
Murphy's Law.
Every time lol
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Oct 28, 2017 5:21 PM
Jul 2018
The show's worldbuilding and the directing is still strong after this episode, man this series is just a pleasant to watch. Honestly, now that I think about it... Yes Phos is getting into a lot of issues, of course I do hope Diamond can solve this ;-; I feel bad of course.
Oct 28, 2017 6:06 PM

Aug 2013
Apsidelos said:
Zantius said:

The episode finished adapting chapter 9. The anime probably won't go past chapter 30.

fair enough, thanks for telling me
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 28, 2017 8:08 PM

Jul 2015
Dang this is a good anime. Though I'm starting to wonder if this is going to continue to be a thing, I mean, it's been Phos finding some new way to get into trouble every episode so far... not that that's a problem, I'm really enjoying this, makes me curious as to what new problem shes gonna find herself in next.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 28, 2017 11:18 PM

Jun 2015
I'm loving this anime a lot. I love everything, the animation, the music, the characters and the story so far, it could become one of my favorites.
Oct 29, 2017 2:06 AM

Feb 2014
The preview for next episode looks great. I want to watch it now :(
Oct 29, 2017 3:43 AM

Sep 2017
Boy if we get a fight scene as fluid and well directed as the one in ep. 3 next week is going to be awesome. I never expected this show to be this pretty and well made, especially considering that its animated using CG.

I still get Berserk 2016 flashbacks whenever I hear the words "CG animation", but unlike the dumpster fire that Berserk was, this studio actually used things like the free camera movement that CG offers to their advantage. Also, the characters are really expressive, not just with their faces, but also their body language. You can tell that there's effort put into the animation.

This series is being the surprise hit of the season for me, and it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who thinks this.
Oct 29, 2017 4:30 AM
Jul 2010
Best show this season...
Oct 29, 2017 5:02 AM
Oct 2017
OMG I should have seen this coming I feel like a little baby
I was too caught up in the dialogue, it's getting v interesting
Oct 29, 2017 6:34 AM
Sep 2017
So... I didn't read the manga (no spoilers please), but after this episode it seems very likely that Phos and Ventricosus are "bone" and "flesh" of one entity - they have too many matches.

Following that, if we consider trope laws, her brother would be Cinnabar's match... but we really don't have enough actual information for that yet.
SanitycheckOct 29, 2017 7:02 AM
Oct 29, 2017 8:15 AM

Apr 2015
The most underrated show of the season.
Oct 29, 2017 8:17 AM
Feb 2017
Best episode thus far. And I must say this anime is highly underrated. For a 3D anime, this is superbly done. I mean just look at the amount of movement Red Beryl did 12mins in and yet it still looked very fluid and natural. Claps all around i say. And the story thus far, hoohoo, I am loving every bit of it. I love a little mystery in my shows and this one is just doing a real good job at it. ^_^
Oct 29, 2017 10:13 AM
Jul 2018
holy shit. I'm gonna call her slug bitch from now on
Oct 29, 2017 10:43 AM

Jan 2017
Another great episode! Looks like this may become my favorite non sequel of the season.
Oct 29, 2017 11:59 AM

Nov 2011
This anime series is great, I love it!
Oct 29, 2017 12:07 PM

Aug 2015
what a wonderful show. this is surely becoming one of my favorite things ever if it continues to be this amusing.
Oct 29, 2017 1:07 PM

Nov 2012
Lol the slug landed on Kongou-sensei's head. I was not expecting the slug to transform into a girl and betray Phos, can't wait for the next episode
Oct 29, 2017 2:53 PM

Sep 2011
I'll admit, pre-season I was really more curious than interested in this show, but it's been a pleasant surprise and among the more interesting shows this season. I mostly just wanted to see how they would do with the CG, since it still seems to be a pretty mixed bag for the anime industry, and not only have they done an awesome job of it, but the characters and story have been a treat as well!

The preview looks like the next episode is going to be an exciting one :o
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Oct 29, 2017 4:14 PM

May 2015
Who would've thought the slug turned out to be such a looker, lol.

That betrayal, though. Phos just can't seem to catch a break.

Oct 29, 2017 6:48 PM

Apr 2016
Solid frontrunner for AOTS so far. While other shows are already starting to falter, this show seems to get stronger as each episode goes by. Scene and dialog transitions are just on point - the subtle humor is making me laugh out loud multiple times. Amazing show. Shame it's so underwatched.
Oct 29, 2017 8:02 PM
Aug 2017
Sanitycheck said:
So... I didn't read the manga (no spoilers please), but after this episode it seems very likely that Phos and Ventricosus are "bone" and "flesh" of one entity - they have too many matches.

Following that, if we consider trope laws, her brother would be Cinnabar's match... but we really don't have enough actual information for that yet.

Go by logic, that is impossible.
Oct 30, 2017 2:43 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
So the master was meditating for the whole day then. So the slug itself is actually from another race though. Its interesting that it can talk but only to Pho's. The slug sure is hillarious though but its interactions with the cast even more so. After seeing what Cinnabar's life and duties have been like so far its no surprise that Pho's will have questions. The slug in addition to being funny is also pretty intelligent as well. So Pho's journey into the sea required her to borrow the missing items then. Guess explaining the concept of death to someone thats immortal can be hard. The kings true form though sure was beautiful. I wonder though did the flesh become the king's race while the bones become the gems. King's betrayal in the end though really was surprising. But this was an interesting episode that did well to reveal more background info while also developing Pho's and king as characters.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 30, 2017 7:58 AM

Jan 2014
Damn, I can feel myself getting attached to this show. It now has a more deep meaning to me.. almost poetic. Flesh, soul, and bones must become one - or at least the soul longs for unification.That twist at the end. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 30, 2017 8:00 AM

Jan 2014
Rideontime said:
The most underrated show of the season.

I agree. It deserves more credit. You don't often see something like this.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 30, 2017 10:06 AM

Sep 2013
Phos and king getting along and but gets sold out :'(
Even in death, humans mess everything up.
Oct 30, 2017 11:37 AM

Jul 2011
now THAT was good, so far the anime was mostly below the manga for me, but this episode was executed damn well, the lore explaination was flawless and much better explained than in the manga fantranslations, and some details i got unlike in the manga(such as for example the selenites/lunarians being over the water with aculeatis, not below it)

p.s.: they called the slug king, but she's obviously a queen, emperor it's a bit more neutral, they should've used that or otherwise they'll have to retcon the translation.
Oct 30, 2017 12:29 PM

Aug 2012
-in an insane twist of events kongo doesn't even know wtf he's doing
-i like this snail dude already, and phos looks absolutely fucking done with it
-cool a bicurious snail
-for a second there i thought phos was gonna dive straight into the ocean without the resin
-i can't believe ventricosus fucking died
-phos's face while she stared into the distance was pretty fuckin cute

-i'm actually really loving the whole dynamic between phos and the snail
-even the underwater scenery looks pretty gorgeous
-t i d d y
-i think i have a thing for post-apocalyptic plots
-dang i had a sinking feeling something was wrong when phos was saying she was exhausted but i didn't expect that
-that next episode preview looked pretty fucking hype

I think this is the first episode of this show I've seen where the actual plot element isn't just a throwaway and the dialogue actually meant something. Like, when Ventricosus was still in the slug form, he and Phos had some pretty entertaining dialogue together, as well as apart, especially with Ventricosus's constant admiration of the other gemstones, as well as Kongo. Bonus points for everyone passing by, thinking Phos has fucking lost it, and Ventricosus catcalling everyone without them knowing. I personally thought that any single line spoken by either the slug or Phos in this episode far eclipses the entire scripts of episodes 2 and 3, but I can't really explain why I think so.The whole exposition section about humans evolving into the three things that inhabit the world was pretty cool, I thought, so maybe that was part of it. The artstyle of this show was also pretty great during that scene, because it made the whole barrenness of the sea floor seem gorgeous, despite nothing being there. All in all, this episode has easily been the best one so far.
Oct 31, 2017 12:35 AM
Oct 2013
Polycell said:

It seems like the deal was: If you want to get your brother back, you have to eat a lot of those gems, we will wait on your homeland (or sea).
Oct 31, 2017 1:54 AM
Aug 2014
finally we got to know some the lore of the series, and it was mind blowing. I thought it was set in an ethereal world with physics the differs from us, but to know they all the next evolution of mankind.
This was like episode 8 of Suisei no Garugantia when we learned the origin of the hideauze.
Oct 31, 2017 2:15 AM

Mar 2009
Really like the setting and history of this show.

Sucks that the cute snail girl betayed Phos. :(
Oct 31, 2017 10:31 PM
Jan 2017
Thesman106 said:

What you talking about, Pho is getting a break every episode, literally.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

317 by ShadowkillZ »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2017

211 by Lucas_Gomes7914 »»
May 22, 7:21 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

114 by ViSpace »»
May 21, 12:52 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

161 by ViSpace »»
May 20, 11:54 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

171 by ViSpace »»
May 20, 6:45 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.