Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 26, 2017 8:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Frankenstein vs Shirou Kotomine. Nice.

Tons of action elsewhere as well. Spartacus vs Atalanta was short yet epic.

Achilles vs Chiron had more dialogues than I had expected but I think it was fine. Astolfo got caught off guard in his fight. About time he met Mordred! The scene with Frankenstein gave me the chills his episode.

Aug 26, 2017 8:29 AM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
The episode was entertaining with a lot of action. I am surprised that they were able of keeping the action after nine episodes and the quality isn't bad. The end was unexpected for me.

Aug 26, 2017 8:43 AM

Aug 2017
Best guy showed up to save his waifu.
Nothing resists the power of pure love!

forcestrikerAug 26, 2017 12:08 PM

Aug 26, 2017 9:52 AM

Aug 2014
I really really liked the Frankenstein scene.
Even if the animation was a bit annoying, the directing, the sounds and especially Fran's tears were spot on.

Shirou was cool af and I loved him, also I appreciated a lot the small details added in Darnic's flashback.
Also my boy Spartacus was well done, and in his little screentime he was still intimidating; now I just hope to see the terror in Atalanta's eyes next episode.
Aug 26, 2017 10:13 AM

Sep 2014
Fran vs Kotomine was really nice.

Shakespeare speeches sure are inescapable.

Jeanne continues to run around, lol.

I sure wish Atalanya could spam her NP like that in FGO.

I'm surprised at how amazingly A-1 has avoided fanservice. That's now 2 Jeanne chain bondage instances and no unnecessary boobage. I'm quite impressed.

That Fran scene was really heart-crushing. Must. hug. smol. bean. But I'm not sure how to react to the complete change of tone from when she's tricked by Shakes to after Caules uses a CS. If that was on purpose, good on you A-1 and Higa.

Chiron's face looks way better this ep in comparison to the rest - actually, so does the animation as a whole. I guess 'turning points' get special treatment. I would hope for this level to continue for the rest of the anime, but who am I kidding.

And I'm finally seeing the Greater Grail for the first time.

Lol, I see we're continuing the Irish Lancer tradition.
The sun is a deadly laser
Aug 26, 2017 10:20 AM

Aug 2010
F-Fran... FRAAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!

Damn, that was soul-crushing.

This show seriously gets better and better each episode. Semi firing her LAZOR at Jeanne was awesome looking and Jeanne's response was just badass.

Too many great things to count happen in this episode, so I'll just say that Shirou is a badass that I'm starting to loathe because of what he did to Fran, Atalanta was great, Mordred just doesn't give a fuck, Astolfo is really kind after all and Karna is all "I could take both of them, but then you won't have anything to do Archer and we just can't have that.".

First 10/10 I give to an Apocrypha episode. Well done.
Aug 26, 2017 10:23 AM
Mar 2014
Lots of action and interesting story, but holy crap, the animation quality during Frankenstein's rage was really, bad. I can't help but notice how weird her mouth and body stretched through out the whole scene. Aside from that, I think this episode should almost setup for where the first episode initially started off at since Spartacus is going into his final form
Aug 26, 2017 10:56 AM

Sep 2014
LawfulEngineer said:
Lots of action and interesting story, but holy crap, the animation quality during Frankenstein's rage was really, bad.

It's not 'bad', as in not a degraded version of better animation; it's a stylistic choice. I.G use the same trick in Ballroom e Youkosou(though for an entirely different reason). It's supposed to look 'bad' because it signifies her sorrow and madness.

It probably just threw you off because it's a kawaii shoujo, rather than Spartacus.
Aug 26, 2017 12:23 PM
Aug 2017
LawfulEngineer said:
but holy crap, the animation quality during Frankenstein's rage was really, bad. I can't help but notice how weird her mouth and body stretched through out the whole scene

Seriously guys, it's getting worse every episode.
GinobiAug 26, 2017 12:28 PM
Aug 26, 2017 12:41 PM
Jul 2018
Frankenstein vs Shirou Kotomine was quite nice.

Aug 26, 2017 12:58 PM

Sep 2014
Ginobi said:
LawfulEngineer said:
but holy crap, the animation quality during Frankenstein's rage was really, bad. I can't help but notice how weird her mouth and body stretched through out the whole scene

[i mg]http://i.imgur.com/96BQqtm.png[/img]

Still action frames look bad regardless of how orgasmic the animation is

Can't expect all studios to be like KyoAni
Aug 26, 2017 2:54 PM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
mira-pyon said:
Ginobi said:

[i mg]http://i.imgur.com/96BQqtm.png[/img]

The series are long, they can't keep the high class animation in every episode (medium budget). Even if the animation has lowered the quality, it stills acceptable for episode 9.

Aug 26, 2017 3:08 PM

Sep 2014
Pipe said:
mira-pyon said:

The series are long, they can't keep the high class animation in every episode (medium budget). Even if the animation has lowered the quality, it stills acceptable for episode 9.

But I'm not complaining about the animation. I personally think this ep's has been the best so far.
Aug 26, 2017 3:33 PM

Feb 2015
This episode was really entertaining. Maybe is just me, but I think that the fights are getting better, they aren't as "messy" and "confusing" like the first ones, specially the Fran vs Shirou, I really liked that part.
Does someone have a translation for the words in the flashback? I'm assuming those were Fran's thoughs and they weren't translated in my subs.

Is this really 25 episodes long? (no spoilers please)

Again those cgi golems...

Good episode overall.

Now that I wached it again, was that Fionn at the beginning?
neku963Aug 26, 2017 3:42 PM
Aug 26, 2017 5:28 PM

Feb 2016
wow that Fran Flashback was quite painful to watch, 10/10 on that scene showing us her madness at that moment, it looked cheesy, but its okay since it gives the chills
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Aug 26, 2017 6:32 PM

Apr 2013
Jesus fucking christ this episode was wild. Loved the Third War flashback (with Zouken cameo!), pretty much all the fights, and especially that Frankenstein nightmare scene. God that was intense. There was so much I figured the episode was over like halfway through but it just kept coming and coming :O

And now...it looks like we are on the cusp of episode 1's beginning scenes. I really look forward to next week!
Aug 26, 2017 6:35 PM

Apr 2013
neku963 said:

Yes

neku963 said:

Indeed it was!

Continuing the tradition of having Irish lancers in the Fuyuki Holy Grail War I see!
8mmspikesAug 26, 2017 6:51 PM
Aug 26, 2017 9:51 PM

Apr 2015
Pretty good episode! I didn't saw anything weird about animation besides Fran part but I'm pretty sure they did that effects on purpose considering the situation because the fight scenes had no visual mistakes unless you really wanted to see something wrong with it.

Still waiting a Spartacus flashback? But we might not get it.

Also Astolfo is a mini Gilgamesh or it looks like it since he stocked few treasures that are Noble Phantasm?
Aug 26, 2017 11:18 PM

Jun 2015
Frankenstein vs Shirou was awesome. He wasn't able to handle her, so Shakespeare took over. Frankenstein's flashback was gut-wrenching. She got very crazy. Semiramis trying to stop Jeanne was amusing. Spartacus is very strong. Astolfo meeting Mordred was fun to watch. Sieg is ready to fight.
Aug 27, 2017 12:12 AM

Jun 2017
This was a pretty good episode. I still don't like Shirou, he just feels so childish, so delusional, just like his wish.

Aug 27, 2017 12:20 AM

Jul 2009
good episode, but i only watch it for waifus :D
Jeanne chanined and bust up, best girl astolfo get grilled midair, and fran & mordred screentime was good to watch

doujin incoming !
bruh
Aug 27, 2017 1:08 AM

Aug 2014
Anon1566 said:
he just feels so childish, so delusional, just like his wish.

Isn't that the point tho? That he's so firmly delusional about his plan that he seems like a child in an adult body?
I always found that aspect of him very unnerving (in a good way)
Aug 27, 2017 1:31 AM

Mar 2017
Wow, this is the best episode so far.

Darnic's flashback was really well done, and now we know who was his Servant on the 3rd HGW, another Irish Lancer lol.

Another glorious fights with more flashy NPs and badassery.

Still dislikes Sieg's scenes thou, looks really forced and really, really bland.

Just so you know, Shakespeare's NP is First Folio : When the Curtain Rises, the Applause Shall Be As Ten Thousand Thunders. It is a B or B+ ranked Anti-Heart or Anti-Unit Noble Phantasm. And it is basically a mind-rape, just like what was demonstrated on our poor Fran-chan.

Also, Jeanne d'Arc has EX-ranked Magic Resistance, that's how she tanked Hanging Garden's beamu.
ThirtyFour34Aug 27, 2017 1:44 AM
Aug 27, 2017 1:58 AM
Jul 2016
Good episode, they really delivered with all the fight scenes. The intros continue to be the best thing of the show every week. As for people complaining about the scenes with Fran looking bad, it's clear to me that it was a stylistic choice from A-1.
Aug 27, 2017 2:34 AM

Jun 2014
Honestly I don't think there's a specific fight I can point to as a highlight, they were all great. Spartacus vs. Atalanta, the brief glimpses at Karna vs. Vlad and Chiron vs. Achilles, and Frankenstein vs. Shirou/Shakespeare were awesome. God damn I felt bad for Frankenstein after seeing her backstory.

Semiramis seems to be trying to get rid of Ruler, but isn't currently having much success. We also got Astolfo vs. Mordred for a bit, and now Sieg has joined the fight. I think we're getting closer to seeing the opening scene of episode 1.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 27, 2017 2:45 AM

Nov 2016
Trap vs (reverse)trap ? Think now I've seen everything.

Great episode from beginning to end, all fights had something and I wasn't even bored for a second, I just hope this show keeps this level up :P

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 27, 2017 4:04 AM

Dec 2013
Dem Frankenstein flashbacks were painful ;_;

Shirou using black keys definitely reminded me of Kotomine.

Poor Rider got shot out of the sky. Seems Sieg actually wants to fight against Mordred? I don't see him winning against her.
Aug 27, 2017 4:39 AM

Feb 2013
Poor Frankenstein, she is too kawaii to suffer like that.
Aug 27, 2017 5:03 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Frankenstein's flashback scene and her outburst were clearly the highlight of the episode. Direction choice obviously to have this animation/art in those scenes and i really liked it.

Also i have a feeling that the crew behind this really likes Atalanta, again fucking great animation for her Noble Phantasm.

Can't help but having to root for Sieg here (i think i know what will happen). Mordred's acting too cocky here for my taste and that she was about to end Astolfo didn't help the cause.
Aug 27, 2017 5:04 AM

Jun 2016
The episode was good. A lot of action, a lot kawaii
Aug 27, 2017 5:06 AM

Jul 2013
Fran scene was heartbreaking ;_;
Action scenes looked pretty great.

Zouken cameo at the beginning was unexpected. The poor bastard was rekted hard.
I was wondering wo was Darnic's Servant until, looking in the comments, it turns out is another Irish Lancer (Fate/Zero's Lancer "master" in life, for more information). But (looking his stats in the TM wiki) this time the dude has a C Rank Luck. An improvement, I suppose.
Aug 27, 2017 5:21 AM

Nov 2009
Dat animation for the Frankenstein scene, lovely deformed face.

Also Sieg turning up at the end to save his boy from that absolute prick, nice.
Aug 27, 2017 5:22 AM

Nov 2011
Hey, stop binding Jeanne in chains, you are giving people's weird ideas!

Aug 27, 2017 5:23 AM

Sep 2014
The action scenes in this episode were great and it was nice to see a flashback for Frankenstein. Starting to like Darnic considering what he did to Zouken in the third grail war.
Aug 27, 2017 5:28 AM

Feb 2014
I can really see why FGO fans want Semiramis. She's just too OP!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Aug 27, 2017 5:44 AM

Apr 2016
Great episode as always, some flashbacks the one with Zouken and "spoiler-san" at the beginning was nice, the flashback with kawaiiserker was well, i never was a fan of her so. Next week, "it" will finally happenes.
Aug 27, 2017 5:48 AM

Jul 2009
astroprogs said:

Too many great things to count happen in this episode, so I'll just say that Shirou is a badass that I'm starting to loathe because of what he did to Fran, Atalanta was great, Mordred just doesn't give a fuck, Astolfo is really kind after all and Karna is all "I could take both of them, but then you won't have anything to do Archer and we just can't have that.".

That's kind of unfair to make that your reason for hating Shirou. He just told "his" servant, Castor to distract her so he could escape. It's not like he told him specifically to show her a painful image that will bring back bad memories. That's Shakespeare's art at work. If you're gonna hate someone it should be him (but he's too funny to hate)
Aug 27, 2017 5:51 AM

Feb 2014
Tons of action for this episode that I was impressed by, with flashy moves left & right thrown between both sides. The highlight for me was Frankenstein, who did very well against Shiro.

However, when she got caught up by Caster of red's attack, she was reminded of her pretty depressing past of her being assaulted by the very person who created her.

As for the animation used for her breakdown, I'd say that it was a good choice from A-1. The stylistic choice of animation used for Frankenstein's expressions while she was in pain made the scene more impactful and powerful. Honestly, I don't get why certain users have to nitpick at a few still shots of action scenes to showcase 'bad' animation in the episode when, personally, almost all of it was very good. Oh well...

Sieg has also joined the fray at last, with his nicely-timed appearance saving Astolfo from total defeat. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action next time. =)
Aug 27, 2017 6:01 AM

Aug 2010
dasprn said:

OPness has nothing to do with it TBH :p

Inugirlz said:
astroprogs said:

That's kind of unfair to make that your reason for hating Shirou. He just told "his" servant, Castor to distract her so he could escape. It's not like he told him specifically to show her a painful image that will bring back bad memories. That's Shakespeare's art at work. If you're gonna hate someone it should be him (but he's too funny to hate)

Shirou knows what Caster is capable of. He's responsible.
Aug 27, 2017 6:37 AM

Mar 2012
This episode precisely shows why Apocrypha LN can't be called bad. Also, I wish the whole adaptation was as amazing as this episode.
Apr 2016
Keep the crusade going! Seize the means of oppression and...
I bet luring Spartacus to the Ruler will not end well redards, since she can't be seen as an oppressor by him. The change of style for the Shakespeare little mind cage was also noted by me, as a decent art detail. And of course Achilles and Chiron, pretending to be fighting each other seriously... I guess I can keep enjoying this until the little ripped attire assassin piece of humiliation shows up...
Re:formed

Sep 2014
neku963 said:
This episode was really entertaining. Maybe is just me, but I think that the fights are getting better, they aren't as "messy" and "confusing" like the first ones, specially the Fran vs Shirou, I really liked that part.
Does someone have a translation for the words in the flashback? I'm assuming those were Fran's thoughs and they weren't translated in my subs.

I made an album of Fran's thoughts here

Yes

Yes.
Aug 27, 2017 6:43 AM

Aug 2013
Awesome episode once again. Cain't wait for the next episode.

All the fights were great and I especially liked Atalanta in this episode and her use of her Noble Phantasm. Chiron vs. Achilles had few actions but was heavy in dialogue. Frankenstein vs. Shirou was also great and Shakespeare was amusing, again. Frankenstein's flashback was sad.

Sieg joined the fight against Mordred to save Astolfo.
LeoAug 27, 2017 6:46 AM

Aug 27, 2017 6:54 AM
Jan 2010
asseishaman and shakespeare are the only saving graces of this show
Aug 27, 2017 6:59 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode again, action was awesome.

All the fights are really cool but I think I love Atalanta's the most, she's got the best scenes. We didn't get too much of Vlad vs Karna but Semiramis and her magic was pretty cool. Oh and Chiron vs Achilles was good too. Nice to get a little Jeanne too,

Shirou vs Frank was great, that Frank backstory though. :(

Mordred finally in on some action, not sure what Sieg can even do against her though.
Aug 27, 2017 7:40 AM

Feb 2015
mira-pyon said:
I made an album of Fran's thoughts here

Nice, that was helpful.
Aug 27, 2017 8:34 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Action scenes were amazing as usual but man did I feel bad for Frankenstein.....She had a depressing life :(

And FINALLY Best Girl Mordred has arrived but I don't like how she's fighting against my boy/not girl Astolfo though :( I'm guessing that Sieg is gonna show up to help her but I really hope that they don't become enemies
Aug 27, 2017 8:39 AM

Feb 2014
astroprogs said:
dasprn said:

OPness has nothing to do with it TBH :p

Yeah its all about that waifu aura!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Aug 27, 2017 10:16 AM

Jul 2016
lmao xD that old man mollusk just got he's cameo. Impressive action packed episode. I like how Fran's flashback was adapted, it felt something from a horror mystery esque movie, though it felt short to me. Prepare some power up and desu next episode, I guess.
Aug 27, 2017 11:55 AM

Dec 2013
Absolutely loved the episode. The fighting and showcasing of each servant's moves was fun. Finally getting to see Shakespeare's move was enthralling, even though we had to revisit Fran-chan's horrid past. Seeing Shirou pulling off those moves and going up against Fran really makes me curious as to just what is up with him now, that and the fact that Semiramis and Atalanta have both been ordered to stall Jeanne from pursuing his retreat, all just adds to the mystery.

And of course, the post ED scene there. back to episode 1 we gooooo!
HESTIAAPPROVES
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» A Guide to Fate/Apocrypha

OneBetta - Mar 14

2 by OneBetta »»
Mar 14, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

97 by TheBiggestAm »»
Mar 9, 7:31 PM

» Who is your favorite character from Apocrypha?

Omarumba - Feb 25

28 by Manthors »»
Mar 1, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 30, 2017

278 by PirateHasan »»
Jan 5, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

86 by PirateHasan »»
Dec 28, 2023 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.