Forum Settings
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Feb 24, 2018 11:04 PM

Nov 2013
Eh. I just did not care for Riku and Shuvi as much as I should have despite how much screen time they were given. They could've used a lot more time on the beginning to get me invested instead of just outright going to the emotional and comedic moments. Like how Tet got in a game with Izuna or the struggles Riku went through that ultimately lead him to become the leader of human colonists. Guess they had to cut some things to make other important stuff fit the runtime, but things like Shuvi moments took a little too much time for whats supposed to be the prequel to how the present day Disboard came to be. Didn't mind it as much in the anime series because the mood wasn't as dead serious as Zero. Personally just craving and starved for more NGNL lore.

That said, I didn't mind how rushed the beginning and "slow" the middle was, or how little I got invested with the new characters. I liked how the story went down (Riku and Shuvi's plan, Shuvi's last cry for help from her race, Riku's last moments, Tet's creation and further solidification of his motives in the series). This just made me wish for season 2 again. Damn, we need a season 2.
DGemuFeb 24, 2018 11:10 PM
Feb 24, 2018 11:26 PM
Jul 2007
I went into this pretty blind. I've only seen the TV series. I was pleasantly surprised by how dark and sad this was compared to the TV series. Oh yeah, the OST was awesome.
Feb 25, 2018 12:14 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
A great apocalyptic film, when the world is in middle of the world of mythical creatures and the humans are in the middle how flies!!!
I like the love story between human and robot!!!
The final, sad final, when she died, he died but the world change to new rules, game rules!!!

8/10 to me!!!
Feb 25, 2018 1:08 AM

May 2013
I love how this movie sets the worldbuilding of the series and explains a lot of things. Actually this must be the best ln volume of entire series! And I loved how this movie actually hints us with how the world of Disboard became the way it is now, and it was at the time of the Great War, like how imanity of Disboard actually brought all this apocalypse upon themselves...
LiterallyEverySpecialSnowflake said:

i wAtcHeD tHis xxxx shOW aNd iT WaS tRASh, i HaTEd iT, wHy eVeRYonE liKEs It?
It iS sO OveRRateD, i AM sO UniQUe aND SpecIAL becAUSE I hAve dIFFerent opINIon ThaN othERs, sO I muST teLL abOut it to THe wHole WorlD, leT thEM knoW i HateD iT. It WAS sO tRasHy, sO GivE mE CouNTER-ArgUMENTs eVen thOuGh i Do NOT giVe argUEmeNTs SuppORTIng My PoiNT.
Feb 25, 2018 1:47 AM

Nov 2007
"Hope within despair", huh...
I like the theme song ever since I've heard it the first time, but after watching the movie, I feel that the song matches the movie very well and made me shed tears!!
tsubasaloverFeb 25, 2018 2:05 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Feb 25, 2018 1:54 AM
Oct 2015
Even after reading the source material the feels still hit me, also I'm happy that I got to see Azriel, not in a cameo. Anyway, I'm glad that the history of this great war that has been mentioned throughout the series is finally explained to us and how it started and concluded, which was fairly interesting.
Overall I'll give this a solid 8.5 maybe a few extra points just because of the OSTs.
Hopefully, the second season is able to come out soon, I heard they generated a lot of revenue over this.
Heckle was here...
Feb 25, 2018 3:54 AM

Sep 2014
so this movie hints that Shiro and Sora could be the reincarnation of Riku and Schwi. I didn't expect the movie to be so serious and dramatic.

Bookmeter ╠╣ class summon
Feb 25, 2018 4:41 AM

Feb 2014
Never been so emotional with a movie as such as this. Last time I felt like this was with Kara no Kyoukai 5 Mujun Rasen, and now both of em are my top favs.

Not just the animation but even the script was amazing.

Nothing is Zero!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Feb 25, 2018 7:51 AM

Sep 2014
oh no I forgot to save my message. Stupid me.

I will make this quick. After the lackluster anime movies from other series (SAO and mahouka specifically) I was not expecting something so amazing.

It was simply perfect in too any ways to handle. PErfect animation, I totally forgot how amazing the character design in NGNL was and also the coloring, just wow.
The sound design was top notch, the voice acting was on point.

The story was touching and fitted perfectly as a prequel. It could have explained one or two things more thus making a full 2h movie what I take it.

The purest form of hype I witnessed in a long long time.

9/10

PS: I was cured from the "Season 2 when?!" loop, now it is back. And I even have to wait for the blu ray release here. Fuck me.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Feb 25, 2018 10:12 AM

Dec 2014
Absolutely brilliant, This is by far one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Throughout the whole movie I just constantly had chills, emotional tear ups and grins on my face. The movie had everything and it delivered it all so damn well. So much emotion after watching the last scene. Goddamn. T.T

It was generally just awesome to learn the origin to the current state of NGNL's world.

I really love how the movie excelled at showcasing the resilience of the human race, the heart and willpower that is so centric to humans in general. Even in the series during Sora's king speech, he touched on how Humanity's weakness of not being born with anything is their greatest strength as they can strive to become anything. This movie is just an exemplary example of that very same thing.

Riku's speech and the way he rigged the war was epic as hell.

I loved how Schwi grew to understand the human heart and it shows so much during her fight with Jibril. The feeling of wanting to live even if death is supposed to hold no meaning for the ex machina. I teared up in the finale to the battle as Jibril just blasted her away with Schiwi saying she was happy to have met Riku. T.T
The animation for the fight was stunning, well technically the entire movie had outstanding animation. Based Madhouse nailed this movie in every aspect, visuals, directing, sound. Brilliant just brilliant. Huge props to them.

I'm really gonna miss Riku and Schwi, I really grew to love both of them over the course of this movie. :(

"Oh God of the game! My life is worth nothing now!
But I'm offering it to you, for the first time in my life, I pray to you!
I'm begging you! That even if a loser ,a cheat, someone who would steal and fall into disgrace.
That even if these hands are stained with blood.
Please! Please say it all meant something, that we meant something!
Anyone, Please tell me you can put an end to this war!
Please take the Suniaster!"
*Tet walks forward*

This got me so emotional that I cried like a kid. T.T

"Purely of your own willpower, you went from beasts to walking on your own two legs. Attaining knowledge and becoming who you are today. A nameless race, but I the one true God shall give you a name. Immanity"
Beautiful. T.T

The fact that Steph's stone in her necklace is the very same one that Couronne is very touching.

Please give us S2 Madhouse.

10/10, so much heart in this movie.
Lelouch0202Feb 25, 2018 10:16 AM
Feb 25, 2018 10:48 AM

May 2015
Damn I waited so long and it was so worth it. The art, characters, and music were easily 10/10. I can't deem it a masterpiece though because the story seemed a little rushed at some parts, which was kinda of a let down - I love the NGNL series and I just wanted as much as possible; I'd be totally okay with a 3 hour movie. Overall, with my bias toward me lowing NGNL/NGNLzero, easy 9/10. One of the animations I've seen in a while.
Feb 25, 2018 11:22 AM
Mar 2017
What a good movie !

"I do not have holes"
HAHAHA,
Me: And that mouth? You can also use your hands

PS: What minute did she say about "I do not have any holes"?. It's for a task

The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Feb 25, 2018 11:23 AM

Nov 2016
never read the LN
just saw the trailer, and watched this movie in cinema
and oh shit, i'm speechless....
very enjoyable, very emotional, and awesome OST
this movie 10 times much better than i ever expected
and honestly this is better than the TV version (2014)

Feb 25, 2018 12:32 PM

Apr 2013
10/10, amazing. I already have read the 6th LN, it's my favorite so far, this adaptation was beautiful.
Feb 25, 2018 12:55 PM
Apr 2016
This Movie is for those who throw hate upon the fun filled and collorfull NGNL series for its comedy and ecchi. It's a mature war drama with hints of romance with a powerfull and optimistic massage: Humans will always go further, doesn't matter how much the odds are aginst them. This is one of the best anime and animated cinematographic experiences I' ve ever had. NGNL Zero is truly a masterpiece. I am writing it with tears in my eyes. Riku and Schwi will play with the Game God again!

11/10
Feb 25, 2018 1:07 PM

Nov 2016
Decent movie. It showed something different compared to the TV show,but 100 min weren't enough to get invested with the romance.

There were still some moments where I got a bit emotional and it was an entertaining watch overall,especially cause like the show it was a visually pleasing experience.
FMmatronFeb 25, 2018 1:10 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 25, 2018 2:29 PM

May 2012
While I had loved to see a sort of continuation to the original No Game No Life series, this story sure was quite something else! Really enjoyed every part of it, and man what an ending!

Really lovely movie in general I must say, with a good conclusion and oh such a fantastic ending! All in all a great movie of this series!
Feb 25, 2018 3:20 PM

Jun 2008
This left me depressed and a bit confused, feel the same way as when I finished Nier Automata.
Feb 25, 2018 4:41 PM

Nov 2014
Really a great superb movie.
A movie that smoothly explained about the history of Imanity.
Tet is an existence that bring Sora and Shiro to the parallel world out of boredom. So, Sora and Shiro being dragged into the world isn't out of nowhere.
I'm satisfied getting to see the real power of Jibril.
Feb 25, 2018 4:49 PM

Jan 2018
A great movie telling us the history of Imanity.

Although I came in not knowing anything about the movie, I was surprisingly not confused on what was happening.

「 what comes after the rain? 」
add meanime listmanga list

Feb 25, 2018 5:03 PM

Sep 2011
Oh my Tet, how awesome was this. I mean I loved NGNL before, and pretty much the only part I didn't like much was the bit too much unnecessary ecchi, but this... this solved even that problem and went way beyond anything I expected. So many emotions, and such an amazing yet tragic story.

It was great to see this side of the history of their world, the opposite of the present time in many ways. Seeing the tragic and very serious great war that we only heard about was a very weird but good experience. I'm glad we could see current characters and ancestors of the ones we know now.

I can't blame Jibril for doing what she did :( I'm sad Schwi/Shuvi died by her hands, but seeing how their world worked back then, it is only natural... I wish there were some other way though, but I guess she could not have tried to convince her, since that might have hampered their plans :/

Schwi/Shuvi learning emotions didn't feel forced or anything like that, since she was a machine after all that could learn and replicate anything. Seeing her development was great. I'm sad for both of them though :( But at least they achieved what they wanted with the help of Tet and the other Ex-Machina.

The art, the soundtrack and the action scenes were all amazing, and better than I could hope for.

I'm even more curious about the continuation of NGNL, after seeing this similar yet so different past. The original anime was a 9/10 for me, due to things like the excessive ecchi, but I didn't feel like this movie did anything that I could call a mistake, and even made me emotional at times, so it is only natural that I have to give it a 10/10, which is quite rare from me. Only the anime/manga/novel I love and feel like are special to me in a way. Unless I change my mind later, as I sometimes tend to do, but for now I feel like it more than deserves it :)
Feb 25, 2018 5:07 PM
Aug 2011
God damn, that was amazing. No surprise it's top50 now and going up every day as non-japanese speaking people watch it now.

Hyped up for second season, whenever it happens. No Game No Life animation style is by far my MOST FAVORITE one and if you know any anime that has a very similar art style then i'd appreciate letting me know!
Feb 25, 2018 7:08 PM

Feb 2014
Sora assassin Shiro robot lol

I would never imagine No Game No Life would come from a chessy melodrama or whatever this movie was. If they had the intention to enlighten the origins, they managed to confuse even more.
They should have never done this this way and instead should have done a sequel.
Disappointed.

5/10

of course, most of this movie success comes from the TV series, which was very enjoyable.

TechOtakuFeb 25, 2018 7:19 PM
Feb 25, 2018 9:00 PM
Mar 2016
DriezzMertenzz said:
never read the LN
just saw the trailer, and watched this movie in cinema
and oh shit, i'm speechless....
very enjoyable, very emotional, and awesome OST
this movie 10 times much better than i ever expected
and honestly this is better than the TV version (2014)

i think we should dont compare Movie and Series
cause that has different timeline but leading to one story

the plus point on No Game No Life Zero is
Story from the Movie make Story for Series become more deep

goosebump when Tet give name to the nameless race, Immanity
the reason Immanity exist make Duo Kuhaku to lead Immanity conquer the world become so good
from nameless race who never wished to born to be the race who will conquer the world
Feb 25, 2018 10:24 PM

Aug 2011
Ever since the volume, I thought it would be a great movie. And this movie is great.

Feb 26, 2018 4:29 AM

Jan 2016
I didn't really cry while watching the movie, but the feels are definitely real! Amazing!!
Looks like I'm rewatching the anime lol
Feb 26, 2018 4:34 AM

Jul 2016
From the colorful surroundings animation of ngnl tv series and now to zero's dark crimson sky and iron ashen ground, good job madhouse for this amazing animation. The worldbuilding wasn't much explored since this got a lot of focus on schwi and riku development. So its not a good idea to prequel watch this before the tv series for the newcomers, cause this movie relies that much on the lore of tv series. But still a very good watch movie.

I felt like I have watched an adaptation of Angel Notes lol xD
Feb 26, 2018 6:53 AM
Jun 2017
Beautiful, just finished watching it and ohh my THE STORY IS BEAUTIFUL, it all presented from the great war, the ancient civilization of immanity and the Dola family!!!

👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏
Feb 26, 2018 7:16 AM
Oct 2016
Well, this is much more sad then i expected it to be, but still a really good movie, production quality is amazing too, haven't seen something like that in a while.

Ending song was something else, dem feels finally caught me. Oh well, i guess it's time to rewatch a TV version again while waiting for season 2.
Feb 26, 2018 7:48 AM

Nov 2012
My heart, my soul, my tears roll. This was actually a great movie and I was hit right in my weakness... THE FEELS! Hope you all enjoyed this as much as I did!(╥_╥)

Feb 26, 2018 8:22 AM

Nov 2016
Great anime but with really sad ending :(( They had good relationship I didn't want to let them die
Feb 26, 2018 8:39 AM
Sep 2011
That was pretty decent for four years of waiting.
Now, give me my second season pls
Feb 26, 2018 10:28 AM

Jan 2011
story it's really better than what i expected, I really like it more than original story of sora and Shiro

I guess it's hard to build high quality strategist events within 2 hour, so they focused more about emotion and relation which i guess better

but imagine this story where 24 ep anime with the same animation quality, this would be my best anime so far

still this movie 10/10 for me, it's first anime movie i really like it
Feb 26, 2018 11:51 AM

Oct 2013
3/10

Melodrama with fanservice trash and boring plot is a big no no.
Feb 26, 2018 2:48 PM

Sep 2013
Emotional and well done, really shows the harshness of war and THE HEART
Nice animation and quality too, especially the explosions beams.
9.5/10
Feb 26, 2018 4:54 PM

Sep 2007
The way they showed the title and the music started to play, the shivers I got...at that moment I already knew it was going to be EPIC!

10/10 for me, I only wish it was longer.
Feb 26, 2018 7:58 PM

May 2016
That climax of battle where Tet was about to materialize (?) was amazing. That, for me, was the most dramatic part of the movie. A teary eyes was what it gave me.

So Jibril remembered Schwi huh!? I wonder if there will ba story like this in the end where Jibril still lives and the setting is like around 6000 years in the future after sora and shiro conquered the world. That would be interesting as an Epilogue to the novel if ever it will end.
KorokonnFeb 26, 2018 8:02 PM

Feb 26, 2018 8:40 PM
Feb 2018
THIS MOVIE WAS A FUCKING MASTERPIECE WRAPPED IN BACON DROWNED IN CHEESE!
Feb 27, 2018 3:43 AM
Jan 2018
First things first...I did not cry...but fucking hell I WANTED TO.
OK I have not read any of the novels that go past the anime but holy shit I want to see more of the Ex-Machina race.

JIBRIL YOU HEARTLESS BASTARD EVEN WHEN THEY SAID THE NAME YOU FELT NOTHING.

OK I think I felt enough pain for tonight...

WHY IS THERE NOT MORE ANIME/ANIME MOVIES LIKE THIS...
TurnerusFeb 27, 2018 6:53 AM
Feb 27, 2018 5:08 AM

May 2017
Lost count on how many times a teared up in the middle of a watch which has never happened to me before in a TV series or other movies or non-animes

This is honestly waaaay better than the TV series, heck what interest me the most about the series when I watch the TV series is this war not Sora and Shiro corny ass antics, not the boring peaceful world of disboard of the current time, not the the stupid corny games, IT'S THIS WAR AND THE INTERESTING RACES

And lol Jibril still using Heaven's Strike on an already immobile Schwi and then ranting in regret afterwards dumb fuck should've just use a low level attacks instead

Movie > TV series
Riku and Schwi > Sora and Shiro

8/10 (TV)
10/10 (Movie)
LairucremFeb 27, 2018 7:13 AM
Feb 27, 2018 6:30 AM
Sep 2017
i realy love this movie, damn this movie realy amazing!!!
Feb 27, 2018 4:05 PM

Jan 2015
Ok who thought of changing Shuvi's name into Schwi?

I mean, how do you even pronounce that? Shuvi is clear, easy and written in the way it should be written.
That's how you say and write it in Japanese and that's the way it should remain...

"Shuvi = Shoovee" for those who have problems pronouncing

But Schwi? What the fuck... Paste both Shuvi and Schwi into god damn google translate set to english and click the speaker icon to hear the pronounciation and then tell me which one do you think is right...

Bonus Edit: Even in official release of volume 6 of NGNL Light Novel (which this movie is adaptation of) it's Shuvi so I really have no idea where that came from.
ZinzooFeb 27, 2018 4:22 PM
Feb 27, 2018 4:55 PM

May 2009
Zinzoo said:
Ok who thought of changing Shuvi's name into Schwi?

I mean, how do you even pronounce that? Shuvi is clear, easy and written in the way it should be written.
That's how you say and write it in Japanese and that's the way it should remain...

"Shuvi = Shoovee" for those who have problems pronouncing

But Schwi? What the fuck... Paste both Shuvi and Schwi into god damn google translate set to english and click the speaker icon to hear the pronounciation and then tell me which one do you think is right...

Bonus Edit: Even in official release of volume 6 of NGNL Light Novel (which this movie is adaptation of) it's Shuvi so I really have no idea where that came from.

Because when he asked her to find a name, she chose "Schwarzer" (black in German) which Riku cut in half resulting in Schwi.
In Yen Press translation, it's Schwi as well iirc.
Feb 27, 2018 5:17 PM
Jan 2015
Mediocre at best.
Really rushed plot that is almost impossible to follow, really rushed lovestory that looks completely innatural with this tempo (srsly, it's like what, "I'm a robot-changing personality and voice to "default loli", omg we are in love and we are married" in 20 minutes, most of which are moe-fancervice?), really rushed drama that looks innatural with such a fast buildup... Hey, at least we have 20 minutes of main hero crying about his fate, there is anyway so much time there to use from 1,5 hours, let's use 20% of it on "deepening" main hero.
Well, fighting scenes were decent.
But I expected much more after all this years. They should've probably made 12-episode series or made nothing.
Feb 27, 2018 10:01 PM

Apr 2016
Vizvezdenec said:
Mediocre at best.
Really rushed plot that is almost impossible to follow, really rushed lovestory that looks completely innatural with this tempo (srsly, it's like what, "I'm a robot-changing personality and voice to "default loli", omg we are in love and we are married" in 20 minutes, most of which are moe-fancervice?), really rushed drama that looks innatural with such a fast buildup... Hey, at least we have 20 minutes of main hero crying about his fate, there is anyway so much time there to use from 1,5 hours, let's use 20% of it on "deepening" main hero.
Well, fighting scenes were decent.
But I expected much more after all this years. They should've probably made 12-episode series or made nothing.

Second this. They should have saved this one for a TV series format instead of a rushed movie with little explanation and poor character writing. At least the animation was great, but overall it felt really wasted.
Feb 28, 2018 1:04 AM

Mar 2010
So, yeah I didn't go into this expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. The film definitely had shortcoming (lack background regarding the humans, some development while not bad on their own felt it came out of nowhere, etc), but it was largely solid movie. The character moments were especially enjoyable and action during Schwi vs Jibril was very thrilling. It did good job establishing why Diswald came to be as it is and various customs like the pledges exist. Ironically. it didn't feel like the TV series at all which makes since for all intents and purposes the world did get reset 6000 years ago.

Anyway good stuff, I'd put around an 8/10 for me.
Feb 28, 2018 10:12 AM

Oct 2016
Not bad. Unpolished, but it was better than the series. In fact I wished the series focused on this war instead, it could be even better. I might rewatch it someday to see if my opinion about it changes.
Feb 28, 2018 10:44 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
WyNdZ said:

One question though, what the fuck was tet doing the whole time and how was he able to just claim that ultimate item in the end without the other gods doing shit? Also tet said something about some God who made their world, where's the original God who made everything? I also wonder if the Ex-machina became extinct after what happened in the war. Also wondering who created the Ex-Machina and why they chose to help Riku in the ending. I'm guessing they learn what emotions are in the ending hence why they helped. Anyways seems I've got a lot of questions but still I loved this movie. It gets a 10/10 from me.

-Tet did not exist before. The wish of Riku and the collective Imanity created Tet and it was nothing short of a miracle.
-The Imanity existed before the Old Deus. The Imanity were the original natives of this world. The Old Deus came later and brought and created the other races.
-The ex-machina did not become extinct. If a second season is made they will become very important.
-The ex-machina were created or brought just like the other non-Imanity races to this world
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Mar 1, 2018 1:52 AM
Jan 2018
Why is there no other movie or anime like this movie?? its so sad to see something so great only once...(and no the series is not close enough to be this good)

In poll terms I would give it a ∞/5 but it seems I'm stuck giving it a 5/5 instead.

Seriously though why is there so few recommendations on this movie??
Mar 1, 2018 5:24 AM

Jun 2016
NGNL never lets you down!!
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» this movie is boring

Sunproof21 - Sep 28, 2021

42 by JJT1407 »»
Jan 21, 3:38 AM

Poll: » Schwi + Riku > Sora + Shiro

NotaMasterpiev - May 12, 2023

10 by Ionliosite2 »»
Sep 7, 2023 2:28 PM

Poll: » Preferred the movie to the series

Cestlavie_ - Jan 27, 2022

11 by removed-user »»
Aug 3, 2022 3:43 AM

» watch order?

Raulfin - May 26, 2022

18 by solomino »»
May 28, 2022 2:13 PM

» My problem

Immortalbeing - Apr 4, 2022

16 by Blank_BDM »»
Apr 11, 2022 5:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.