Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 12, 2017 1:52 PM

Feb 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
(Haven't read the source material)
Saw it today in the cinema. I thought the plot would intimately involve Sarajevo itself. Everything seems like red herrings at first but most of it gets tied together...and then godamn Williams.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 13, 2017 6:49 PM

May 2014
I liked it, though I felt the ending was abrupt. The film definitely needed some sort of epilogue, especially since this story is the precursor to Harmony. Given that manglobe went bankrupt, I wouldn't be surprised if that was cut. Oh well.

Anyways, did anyone else spot Hillary Clinton (or her doppelganger) in one of the scenes?
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Jul 13, 2017 9:09 PM

Feb 2012
DeicideV said:
I liked it, though I felt the ending was abrupt. The film definitely needed some sort of epilogue, especially since this story is the precursor to Harmony. Given that manglobe went bankrupt, I wouldn't be surprised if that was cut. Oh well.

Anyways, did anyone else spot Hillary Clinton (or her doppelganger) in one of the scenes?
Yeah in the hearing.

So the stories are related, then?

Jul 13, 2017 9:30 PM

Aug 2015
Fortress_Maximus said:
DeicideV said:

Yeah in the hearing.

Yeah, I've read both novels. The "maelstrom" referred to in Harmony is the nuclear onslaught brought forth by Clavis Shepherd's actions.
TheKillerAngelJul 14, 2017 4:16 PM
Jul 14, 2017 1:12 PM

Feb 2012
TheKillerAngel said:
Fortress_Maximus said:
Yeah in the hearing.

Yeah, I've read both novels. The "maelstrom" referred to in Harmony is the nuclear onslaught brought forth by of Clavis Shepherd's actions.
But The Empire of Corpses is standalone?

Jul 14, 2017 3:53 PM

May 2014
Fortress_Maximus said:
TheKillerAngel said:

Yeah, I've read both novels. The "maelstrom" referred to in Harmony is the nuclear onslaught brought forth by of Clavis Shepherd's actions.
But The Empire of Corpses is standalone?

It does not have any connection to those two movies that I am aware of. Any possible connections would be remote given the vast disparities in setting. Furthermore, Itoh died before finishing the Shisha no Teikoku novel - it was actually completed by his friend.
Nov 9, 2017 11:14 AM
May 2015
That was pretty fuckin dope
Nov 9, 2017 12:07 PM

Dec 2014
In short, this anime is about the same plot as Psycho Pass' Sibyl System but presenting in a more realistic way.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Nov 9, 2017 5:27 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
It had some problems here and there but overall i enjoyed it and i thought it was still pretty interesting.

I give it a strong 7 to a light 8
DatRandomDudeNov 9, 2017 5:32 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Nov 9, 2017 11:39 PM

Aug 2015
Well, at least it was more on message than Harmony and less idiotic than The Empire of Corpses. But that's just because it beat its message over your head and didn't make you think of anything. It was ultra-violent, overbearing, and very edgy in terms of conflicting themes. It's a very Western story, which is probably why Manglobe was the one initially animating it since they never really did traditional anime. Comments about terrorism, football concussions, and capitalism got a little annoying at times, and some scenes looked like they were animated by studio Gonzo in 2004, by which I mean by 4-year-olds with colored pencils. But overall, it was the best of the Itoh films imo.
Nov 10, 2017 2:59 AM

Apr 2015
Wait so what happened at the end? What did he decide to do...?
All I got is that the main pissed me off so much. At the end he was willing to kill his friend for a woman? Lmao
Nov 10, 2017 5:26 AM

Aug 2015
Raz1515 said:
All I got is that the main pissed me off so much. At the end he was willing to kill his friend for a woman? Lmao

He delivers his testimony using all the things that John Paul discovered about genocidal language, causing the US and the rest of the world to go berserk and trigger a global nuclear war.
Nov 10, 2017 6:41 AM

Apr 2015
TheKillerAngel said:
Raz1515 said:

He delivers his testimony using all the things that John Paul discovered about genocidal language, causing the US and the rest of the world to go berserk and trigger a global nuclear war.
but why did he do that? Balance of power?
Nov 10, 2017 8:04 AM

Aug 2015
Raz1515 said:
TheKillerAngel said:

but why did he do that? Balance of power?

He was so disgusted by the institutions and society he was fighting to defend that he decided to burn it all down.
Nov 11, 2017 3:13 PM

May 2012
Good movie. Should have been rated higher
Nov 11, 2017 3:43 PM

Dec 2015
So I totally expected this movie to suck ass, usually that's the case with action anime movies, but this was pretty ok overall. First 15 minutes surprised me quite a bit, cause I'm from Georgia, and seeing a couple of the places that I've been, in an anime, was a pretty weird thing xD PLUS they even spoke my language in a couple of instances which was even more surprising xDD

Apart from what I sad above, another thing I wanna mention is the animation, I am not an animator, I haven't studied animation either so the only thing I can say is that it was weird and that it was not the normal 2D animation we usually get. It was either 2D mixed with 3D or something else, I'm not sure.

The action was pretty nice, the part where they just kept killing child soldiers didn't bother me even a bit, as basically the entire thing was shown from the perspective of the MC. Which could be a conscious decision made by the staff, putting us in the shoes of an emotionally restricted soldier and all, showing us what Shepherd and the rest were going through at that moment (aka not giving a crap that they were killing kids). Cool idea if that's the case. 5/10.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Nov 14, 2017 12:54 PM

Jul 2010
Went in with low expectations and came out of it surprised, definitely enjoyed it the most of Project Itoh movies. The action scenes were pretty good and I liked the artstyle/animation. I didn't really see the mix of 2D and 3D as some have mentioned or my eyes are just fucked. It was completely fine to me and looked like 2D.
Nov 14, 2017 1:07 PM

Dec 2015
@Tenth When Shepherd visits Lucia for the first time, there's a scene where she leaves/takes a cup from the table, and there's a close-up of her hand getting the teacup, that close-up made me question whether this was just 2D animation cause it looked really weird. And now that I see you didn't notice, I'm wondering if MY eyes are fucked after all xDD.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Nov 14, 2017 2:51 PM

Feb 2014
I really liked this 9/10 but i wish it were little longer
Nov 17, 2017 10:06 AM

Aug 2016
Pretty decent movie, I like how you could see the guys shadow by the door before they shot the girl at the end, the entire time I was questioning whether I was seeing things lol
Seen a nice bit of people complaining about the animation but I thought it was pretty good, dub was also gr8.

From what I could tell this is made by the same guy that made Harmony? Watched the Harmony movie and wasn't the biggest fan of it, but I thought this one was a bit better done at least.
Nov 18, 2017 11:48 AM

May 2010
One of the most boring movies i have seen in a while. 5/10

not surprised about the low rating..
Nov 19, 2017 11:36 PM
Apr 2012
anyone have a source on the music playing during the club scene? starts at 44:06.

it wasn't included in the OST or the credits.
Nov 25, 2017 11:59 PM

Dec 2012

And that was the end of Project Itoh. Great finale. EGOIST with another great song. As I expected since day 1 that GK would be the best Itoh film. So happy GK got out of development hell and was saved. Can't wait for more series from Geno studio.

With that said...SnT comes 2nd and Harmony finishes last.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Dec 3, 2017 3:27 AM

Jan 2016
Wow, Very nicely done!
Itoh shows are definetly Pleb Filters haha. Should have been rated higher. People that loves naruto or one piece shouldn't try to watch this.

EGOIST is awesome.
Dec 5, 2017 5:17 PM

Jan 2014
I gotta applaud the original creator of this. I'm sure the novel (or whatever) is way better, but I don't like reading..

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 6, 2017 6:14 AM

May 2010
omg, that ending....did he translate it into english? civil war incoming
Dec 7, 2017 3:40 PM

Sep 2012
Not bad. I liked it a lot more than the other Project Itoh movies. The style was kind of plain and lacking impact.

It had some interesting pieces of dialogue but occasionally I felt like there was an influx of messages without any breathing room, I think it would be more enjoyable as a book.The best part was towards the beginning when they were investigating Lucia.
Dec 9, 2017 6:57 PM
Aug 2014
Pretty damn good. A show meant for developed nations; the things we will do and the things we look away from in order to ensure the continuation of our lavish lifestyles. As a resident of a developed nation, I am with Williams and John on this one.

8/10
Dec 16, 2017 1:53 PM
Jan 2017
Fantastic movie.Should be rated much higher imo.9/10
Dec 17, 2017 5:52 AM

Nov 2009
Out of all the Itoh project movies, this one was I looked forward the most, but it turned out the most disappointing.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Dec 17, 2017 5:04 PM

Jun 2013
I thought it was average. I really like the whole sci-fi military action theme of the show it has a nice amount of gore. The story was alright but not that interesting. I mean it's pretty much about a genocidal language that has power to control the world. But the fact that John Paul used it to cause civil wars in other countries by using their weakness to keep them preoccupied just because he lost his loved ones and wants to protect his part of the world from the same tragedy makes it even worse. He deserves a fate far worse then death. I also hated the part where Clavis went all lover boy in the end over a girl he met few times and killed his best friend like he didn't matter. Like WTF? But I don't really understand what exactly happened in the end with Clavis's testimony.
Dec 27, 2017 2:12 PM

Jul 2017
For some reason this movie felt a lot like playing a video-game.

(Mission description and/or team interaction, general view of the location, short animation of enemy guards, cut back to player's position, first view assessment of territory, hide, stealth-kill the guards, spy room from door, enter room... and so on. A nice standard mission on any shooter.)

In fact I think this would make a good video-game, maybe better than it is a movie.

As it is, I liked it, but was bored to bits through half of it.

The scenes that I really enjoyed where dialogue heavy (almost monological) ones, with actually interesting subjects. Action scenes would have been better cut shorter and give time to more character development, or at least that is how it felt to me.

I'll give it a high 7 because it actually made me question my own thoughts, witch is a very good thing on my book.
Dec 28, 2017 1:28 PM

Oct 2015
Boring predictable shit of a story, most of all the protagonist is so bland, forgettable and shittiest.
I really wasted my time with this one and it was long too, I want my one hour and 50min back please writer. I got tired of listening to John Paul's speeches about genocide, all I got from this movie was bullshit talk and weak story. In movies like these they always kill woman and they always have to be Honorable towards the end same with Lucie.

I have only one thing to say again, please give back my time dammit.
4/10 and that is because the animation was standard.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 30, 2017 8:41 AM

Feb 2014
Sakurai Takahiro never ceases to amuse!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jan 10, 2018 10:42 PM

Apr 2012
wow child killing thats unique everything else like 2 shy away from that
nice indepth plot n all the first person action scenes have gotten me stimulated 4 a fps
Feb 6, 2018 5:50 AM

Oct 2010
Not a bad premise and what they were going for, but characters were so uninspiring and boring to me that I barely made it through.
Mar 4, 2018 11:02 PM

Mar 2012
Did he really use the grammar technique to start a genocide at the end? Why?
Mankind’s greatest fear is Mankind itself.
Gendo Ikari (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

REAL LIFE Anime videos on my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCof9ppdHcniLAS_pFoRkqfw
Mar 18, 2018 7:51 PM

May 2014
lol@ the haters above, I swear people must have come in expecting Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare the anime. Well too bad you just had to watch something that requires you to think to appreciate it. Stick to action/fanservice-packed shounens please.

TrueUchiha said:
omg, that ending....did he translate it into english? civil war incoming

Yes, civil war does break out in the novel, but they didn't include it in the movie - arguably budget and timelines weren't permitting given what happened with Manglobe. This movie is the prequel to Harmony.

Mar 19, 2018 5:19 PM
Jul 2018
DeicideV said:
lol@ the haters above, I swear people must have come in expecting Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare the anime.

I think Genocidal organ actually kind of feels like Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare the anime. Hell, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare was one of the first pieces of entertainment that popped up in my head when watching Genocidal Organ.

I am not trying to undermine its thought-provoking topics (they're brilliant and part of what made this film a 9/10 for me), but the action sequences play out like some of the campaign missions found in Call of Duty games. The sci-fi elements helped make Advanced Warfare the first one to pop up in my head when watching the film.
Apr 11, 2018 1:03 PM
Apr 2016
Very tragic and excessively violent; a befitting reflection of reality of the human society and where it is slowly leading.
In the end, Clovis translated the genocidal command into the English language, plunging the rest of the world into chaos. Will it restart the humanity (Danganronpa did the same, but with less blood), or will the cycle repeat itself? Fiction is fiction, but the ideas are there...
iHitokage said:
Did he really use the grammar technique to start a genocide at the end? Why?

As far as we can tell, he either finally got angry at everyone and decided to balance the scales, or he saw the fulfillment of Lucia's wish in that very restart. After humanity is awash with blood, it will emerge with knowledge of what happened, and probably why it happened. Having suffered such catastrophe, would it decide to again start the cycle of violence? If so, is there any point in saving such humanity?
This is also a very conflicting story. Except for Lucia (who also did hold her part ), every other character is a profound scum, madmen who advocate for the happiness of their in exchange for a ruination of others (self/other)(American slavery was the same in fact)(Orwell: Ignorance is Strength somewhat follow this very story pattern, as a game). And despite this theater of villains the film is compelling and thoughtful, I do not hate on it for all the tragedy because it is merely a reflection of reality, turned the whole way up to eleven. This is not entertainment, this is a critique. A statement against one particular country, and the "most sentient" species itself.
Daniel_NaumovApr 11, 2018 1:11 PM
Re:formed
Apr 13, 2018 3:59 PM

Sep 2014
So I just watched it, nearly decided not to because the mediocre score of 7.25 and how the first Itoh film already kinda sucked. But this was really good.
It had some problems with animation quality, but thats what you get when 2 studios are involved. Also aside from those mistakes, it overall looked decent to good.

Has someone here read the novel and can tell me what happened by the end? After the mission was over it felt kinda rushed.

Liked the sci-fi aspects in "normal" special ops scenes, made it feel more realistic without beeing to over the top. Especially since it showed a society before total surveillance, a system with abusable flaws. Seems most likely.

Seems like I made coincidentally the right choice to watch this before Harmony, will definitely watch that next. After empire of corpsed I was "what, this is the praised Itoh?" but I can see the charme in this one.

PS: Seems like the unwritten rule "EGOIST only makes OP/EDs for good anime" is still true.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 5, 2018 7:56 AM

Apr 2009
So that finger snap sound at the end is a signal for genocide? Oh boy...good luck to the Americans!

Anyhow I almost feel asleep midway through the first half of this but future combat tech systems are really the ones that got my attention from the high altitude combat support bomber/carrier (Seaweed) and the submersible and disposable drop pod with combat drones. The integrated augmented reality, security and ID systems are also just a bit interesting. Then they started discussing Sapir-Whorf hypothesis again and it almost made me doze off again.

7/10 just for the future combat technology concepts alone, the rest were just OK.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 18, 2018 10:13 PM
Sep 2016
I admit I have mixed feelings for this film. Action scenes were cool, and I found the plot very interesting, but I just cannot suspend my disbelief when it comes to how the world is portrayed.

Sure, the film is supposed to be a criticism of the 'Surveillance State', and all the restrictions on our liberties for the sake of security, but it takes things to the point where it's just too overpowered, and the 'workarouds' the antagonists are extremely hard to believe. I can believe the fingerprint implants, but the eyes? The chances of getting that kind of surgery done successfully clandestinely is so infinitely small that it's plain bollocks.

And don't get me started on how those czech pub guys got their hands on nanobots of that calibre. Sure, the black market exists and whatnot, but explain to me how the hell they're getting that kind of stuff past the immense security and surveillance networks? Even with today's standards of surveillance, it's very, extremely easy for the CIA, Mossad and such organisations to pinpoint and crack down on any sort of activity of such kind.

And John Paul's excuse for carrying out his worldwide genocide spree is laughable at best. That's not how the world works! When there's a civil war, there are always foreign powers at play, pushing for one side or the other, in order to obtain the favour of the winning faction later down the line. We're seeing this now in Syria, for instance. What John did was by no means helping the West keep its peace; he just created a playground for great powers all over the world to proxy-war in, and escalate tensions between them. In his quest to bring peace, chances are he only brought NATO and the SCO closer to war than ever before.
Aug 21, 2018 5:00 PM

Jun 2010
Reminded me of lesser Oshii movies in that it talked too much and couldn't resist showing off how much research went into certain details to the degree that stretches of dialogue sounds like encyclopedia entries. Given how rushed the pacing of the last 20-30 minutes were some of this endless dialogue could have stood to be cut.

The big problem is that this film shares Oshii's faults as a writer but not his skills as director. It's glib and shallow and doesn't even have any style to make up for it.
Sep 27, 2018 5:33 PM

Jul 2011
FatalGaze said:
I thought it was average. I really like the whole sci-fi military action theme of the show it has a nice amount of gore. The story was alright but not that interesting. I mean it's pretty much about a genocidal language that has power to control the world. But the fact that John Paul used it to cause civil wars in other countries by using their weakness to keep them preoccupied just because he lost his loved ones and wants to protect his part of the world from the same tragedy makes it even worse. He deserves a fate far worse then death. I also hated the part where Clavis went all lover boy in the end over a girl he met few times and killed his best friend like he didn't matter. Like WTF? But I don't really understand what exactly happened in the end with Clavis's testimony.

He used genocide language on USA :D
Which is another WTF of the story.

Anyway, it was not that bad overall.. 6/10
Dec 5, 2018 11:01 PM
Nov 2009
Enjoyed the political commentaries and the idea of how language can determine human actions. Needless to say Lucie getting shot shocked me a bit and the killings of child soldiers was gutwrenching but is very real.
Feb 23, 2019 3:15 PM
Jul 2018
I didn't feel like commenting about my impressions once I finished watching the movie; But letter on, I've sort out my thoughts a bit, rewind what I was watching just 'while ago and guess, I didn't enjoy nor liked what I watched.

I would say Genocidal Organ is something like how would look like if Psycho-Pass and Equilibrium had a child. It had some thought provoking dialogue about the genocide language, and interesting part of it was the effect on the nanomachines, or whatever they were called, installed in the body of the soldiers. They feel no physical pain nor a kind of disturbance/sadness when killing a young life. A concept I find interesting that equals with the one from Equilibrium. The clerics were consuming liquid which would eliminate all the unnecessary feelings.

However, that much wasn't 'nough from the movie to keep me genuinely entertained.

The moments of analysis and playful words over the genocidal language by the antagonist itself were cunning, however they tend to wear me off at times.

The protagonist was ok at first, but as the movie progressed, he started to surface a hot-headed behavior which annoyed me.
I didn't like him nor the Czech girl he allegedly fell in love with. His love for her was something pulled out of thin air. It was weird one, that resulted with him acting straight out of anger at the very moment she was killed before his eyes. And I don't understand why she should of been killed in the first place? On top of that by some random dude, the protagonist's comrade - by the way, stating off some stupid, non-essential and shallow reason that even I don't remember what that was.

Well. Although the girl's murderer surprised me, in the end, I was glad she's dead. Gorgeous looking woman, but she felt off and suspicious most of the time. Not likeable character for me, not even a bit.

Conclusion? All & all, I can't care less about what went trough: the characters' reasons, acts and such, once I left the seat.
The movie had some interesting bits here and there, yet what kind of message was trying to deliver all-together, imo it did it vaguely, leaving me with a feeling of a light frustration/irritation.

4/10
May 16, 2019 8:09 AM
Jan 2017
hmm actually i dont really understand what the main idea about this anime,,
but like war, person honor, love or the price of human life,,
but its ok for me
May 16, 2019 8:16 AM
Jan 2017
But yeah the ending song was great , its suit with the movie,
egoist i love them so much,,
Aug 1, 2019 6:03 PM
Jul 2019
It isn't easy to put thoughts into words after watching a piece of this caliber. It was very flawed no doubt (especially when compared to the state of our real world), but i can't deny the fact there were sparks of brilliance throughout it's story. Had they only been handled in better way and perhaps in a different setting i could see this being a remarkable gem.

It's filled with lots of political themes and messages that seem to but touch upon topics which have been discussed for much longer than it seems to realize. I won't try to get into this here because i don't deem it the right time or place. Not to mention that the movie didn't delve into it enough to justify such an action.

Where i want to leave this at is this.... The author, is a thinker. And i commend them for their attempts to do something not often seen in this medium, as well as manga.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Forgive me for being late. So what happened exactly?

mufarari - Feb 3, 2023

2 by DesertBornBoy »»
Feb 3, 2023 10:15 AM

» Sub or dub?

Raz1515 - Nov 9, 2017

12 by SimplySam »»
Nov 7, 2022 10:26 PM

» Different ending from the novel? [spoilers]

kari-ya - Dec 28, 2021

0 by kari-ya »»
Dec 28, 2021 11:27 AM

» What to expect? [To those that watched it]

removed-user - Feb 3, 2017

14 by Daniel_Naumov »»
Aug 24, 2019 10:44 AM

» Manglobe entering bankruptcy

YoxalLoyal - Sep 30, 2015

8 by DonTrumpolino »»
Oct 2, 2018 12:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.