Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 3, 2017 6:56 AM

Apr 2013
Yuumei, designer and developer of Axent Wear, just posted on twitter that Adult Swim/Production I.G. ripped off her Axentwear headphone's design and used it in their new Anime TV Show FLCL without a license to do so. They haven't contacted her in any way or asked her permission beforehand either, which basically means they ripped off a patented design for commercial use.
TinyPearJul 3, 2017 7:02 AM
-
Jul 3, 2017 2:10 PM

Apr 2015
I mean they also use MCRonalds in Devil is a Part Timer, i think it falls under parody law.
Jul 3, 2017 3:02 PM

Feb 2011
I love how this guy acts like he discovered gravity for adding 2 cat ears to a regular set of headphones. It's not even 100% identical and I'm sure I've seen this design used before in anime as well.
Jul 3, 2017 10:20 PM

Jan 2010
Hatsuyuki said:
I love how this guy acts like he discovered gravity for adding 2 cat ears to a regular set of headphones. It's not even 100% identical and I'm sure I've seen this design used before in anime as well.

I think I have too, at least something similar.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2017 10:20 PM

Mar 2014
Another reason why most licenses/patents are bullshit.
Jul 3, 2017 11:28 PM

Jan 2009
Nvortex said:
Another reason why most licenses/patents are bullshit.

totally agree, this patent bullshit needs to be abolish even silicon valley supports killing it https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110724/22250715225/when-patents-attack-how-patents-are-destroying-innovation-silicon-valley.shtml
Jul 4, 2017 2:55 AM

Apr 2017
like i care. im australian
Jul 4, 2017 7:39 PM

Apr 2013
I don't think Yuumei patented Axent Wear for its aesthetical design, but because of the new technology behind it. Her cat-ears are in fact speakers and you can switch between voth audio sources of Axent Wear headphones anytime. That demolishes the need for additional speakers and gives her design additional value compared to traditional headphones without a second set of speakers.

As to patents: They are important, because if your ideas weren't protected, someone with more money than you would just randomly copy your inventions, flood the market with cheaper prices and basically rob you of your company, idea and money.

I think Yuumei wouldn't mind her headphones being advertised at all. Why should she? Advertising is a good thing after all. Plus, she's an anime fan. She's upset because her design got used by a stranger for making money without giving her credit for it. I wouldn't blame her for that. I don't think it would've been difficult to notice her beforehand, but they (Production I.G. or Adult Swim) probably either just didn't know how to copy things the right way, which is unlikely, or they did it the wrong way intentionally and decided it would be safest to not letting her know. That way they wouldn't need to consider her opinion or rights. And that's a dick move.
-
Jul 5, 2017 2:29 PM

Apr 2013
martiooo said:

What part of it's not her design don't you understand? Plus you can't patent external speakers, there have been others before her. Sorry but this is just BS.

If my statement displeases you so much then surely you wouldn't mind to enlighten me as to which headphones you're referencing! No really, that sounds interesting.
-
Jul 5, 2017 2:35 PM
Jan 2013
๐“ต ๐“ฒ ๐“ฝ ๐“ฎ ๐“ป ๐“ช ๐“ต ๐“ต ๐”‚ ๐“ณ ๐“พ ๐“ผ ๐“ฝ ๐“ฌ ๐“ช ๐“ฝ ๐“ฎ ๐“ช ๐“ป ๐“ผ ๐“ธ ๐“ท ๐“ช ๐“ฑ ๐“ฎ ๐“ช ๐“ญ ๐“น ๐“ฑ ๐“ธ ๐“ท ๐“ฎ

gone bai bai
Jul 22, 2017 12:20 AM

Sep 2009
lol I'd be behind the patent holder if it wasn't something as generic as cat-eared headphones.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jul 29, 2017 9:32 PM

Oct 2016
who cares, it's trash anyway.
Oct 21, 2017 9:51 AM

Oct 2017
Let's forget the fact that headphone with 2 pair of cat ears exist for more than a decade and was bought up by fanarts.
So she is saying, unless you ask the ''creator'' directly for permission, you can't reference their product. Ok, let's go by that.
By the way, did yuumei mentioned that in her manga fisheye placebo, in the very first pages, she referenced alienware and redbull? An did she ask gibli studio before making a fanart? I am sure as hell she didn't.
The hypocrisy is strong in this one.
UnderMoonlightOct 21, 2017 9:56 AM
Oct 26, 2017 11:05 PM
Jul 2018
Does this artist know that there is a lot of cat-ear headphones similar to her's ?
Aug 28, 2018 5:46 AM

Feb 2016
Thought I'd share, because I found this interesting.

She did get credit for it in the end. Interpret that as you will. I personally think if they gave her credit for it, that's good, that's all she wanted.

Today with this explosion of ideas and innovation, trying to be selfish and money orientated is frankly a bad economic model, and a massive roadblock to innovation (ironic, I know) but at least give the creator credit for it.

This is like the is the dress blue or grey all over again? Personally I do see an uncanny resemblance of the earphones. Wcdonalds' lol.

Granted, it's not a blatant ripoff, I really don't see that being the case. Personally I think the MM earphones ears look much better but the Axent headband and earpiece looks better.

This is interesting. Because from a functional point of view, the ear speakers for the axent makes perfect sense, but stylistically, the FLCL ones look sharper but maybe not utilising the full potential of speakers.
Cloud_IllusionAug 28, 2018 6:02 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Mar 19, 2022 11:21 AM
Mar 2022
Let's forget about the truth that headphone with 2 pair of cat ears exist for extra than a decade and turned into bought up with the aid of fanarts. So she is pronouncing, until you ask the ''author'' immediately for permission to choose speakers, you cannot reference their product. Ok, permit's pass via that.
usiao4738Mar 30, 2022 7:05 AM

More topics from this board

» What do I watch first: FLCL Progressive or Alternative?

laputia - Apr 11, 2020

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » FLCL Progressive Episode 1 Discussion

matheoo41 - Sep 25, 2018

10 by Berry-Vodka »»
9 hours ago

» I'm having a heart attack (jk)....Let's talk FLCL

kUshPandA_ENJOi - May 15, 2016

42 by Ashley___ »»
Sep 18, 2023 1:07 AM

» Why did the VA for Haruko change?

mechian - Jun 14, 2022

2 by TerraPlayer1 »»
Feb 24, 2023 1:07 PM

» Are season 2 and 3 worth seeing at all?

WildCardBevin - Nov 8, 2021

9 by fatbastard69 »»
Jun 11, 2022 3:15 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.