Section23 Films Acquires Asu no Yoichi!, Eyeshield 21 and Jigoku Shoujo 2

New
Feb 26, 2010 6:02 PM

Feb 2008
According to Toon Zone news, Section23 Films has acquired three new titles:

Asu no Yoichi! (May 11th)
Eyeshield 21 (May 18th)
Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori (May 25)

They'll be released by Sentai Filmworks. Sentai will also publish Appleseed (2004) Blu-ray edition on May 18th with new English dubs by Ex Machina cast.

Source: Toon Zone

Story by ZerOne01
dtshykFeb 26, 2010 6:03 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 26, 2010 6:17 PM

Nov 2008
well good for them
Feb 26, 2010 7:19 PM

Jun 2009
i love when they acquire everything i've never heard of and will probably never watch
Feb 26, 2010 7:45 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
iday12 said:
i love when they acquire everything i've never heard of and will probably never watch

These are pretty commonly known series lol.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 26, 2010 7:45 PM

May 2009
Interesting acquisitions. I'm surprised they went after Eyeshield 21. Sports anime and a very high episode count. Hope it works out for them.
Feb 26, 2010 11:14 PM

Oct 2007
That sounds great. Can't wait to see how Eyeshield 21 will work out.
Feb 26, 2010 11:16 PM

Mar 2009
Awesome- ES21!
Feb 27, 2010 12:22 AM

Apr 2008
wakka9ca said:
iday12 said:

Was just about to say that also lol

Raypture said:
And they wonder why anime in america fails

Pretty bold statement for someone who favorites a handful of series that have already been dubbed in america :-p
Feb 27, 2010 1:23 AM

Jun 2009
Lvhina said:
wakka9ca said:
iday12 said:

Was just about to say that also lol

Raypture said:
And they wonder why anime in america fails

Pretty bold statement for someone who favorites a handful of series that have already been dubbed in america :-p
lololol, i definitely have never seen/head anything about any of these. i guess they aren't the genres i would really like looking at them
Feb 27, 2010 2:01 AM

Jul 2009
Quite good choices, especially with Eyeshield and Jigoku~
Haruhi = Win!
Feb 27, 2010 2:17 AM
Dec 2008
eyeshield 21!!! YA-HA
Feb 27, 2010 2:39 AM

May 2009
I don't quite get what what is happening here... Is it that we will get blue-rays for those series? Bcs Eyeshield 21 have lots of lq episodes... :1

YA-HA!
Feb 27, 2010 2:39 AM

Dec 2007
Oh awesome someone finally acquired Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori hopefully its the same cast as first season.
Feb 27, 2010 4:06 AM

Aug 2009
Yes, Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori!!
Finally. I've waited for it. Definitely my favorite season.
Feb 27, 2010 7:07 AM

May 2009
iday12 said:

Same here. i've heard of Eyeshield 21, though, and i've saw the first series of jigoku Shoujo, but I won't buy the DVDs of them. They just don't really appeal much to me, i guess ^^;
Feb 27, 2010 8:35 AM

Oct 2009
hopefully they dub them instead of doing crappy sub only releases
Feb 27, 2010 10:28 AM
Sep 2008
It seems like a weird selection to decide to acquire, but they must have their reasons so whatever.
Feb 27, 2010 11:03 AM

Feb 2008
DemonTetsuo said:
Oh awesome someone finally acquired Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori hopefully its the same cast as first season.

It is, in Japanese that is. However, Sentai have yet to produce a dub for their titles so if it that was what you were asking for.

hypersonic124 said:

lololol, yeah. Who is stupid enough to watch anime in japanese?
[fancy signature here]
Feb 27, 2010 11:41 AM

Apr 2008
Whoomp said:

hypersonic124 said:

I really hope this is sarcasm.
Feb 27, 2010 11:43 AM

Nov 2009
OMG, if they dun Asu no Yoichi, I'd love to say how they would translate some of that dialogue...
Feb 27, 2010 12:18 PM

Feb 2008
Slykain said:
Whoomp said:

hypersonic124 said:

No, I actually like my anime to be in french, or Arabic if possible... of course I am sarcastic.

The thing I don't like about dubs is the fact that they help to keep the general consensus about "anime is for kids" alive. Because when importing cartoons that is meant for a younger audience you have to dub it into English because the of intended audience requires it. I see no reason for dubbing longer series with a more narrow appeal such as Jigoku Shojo or Clannad since they are meant for an age group that can read and probably have an attention-span that is greater than 5 minutes. You rarely see foreign movies that aren't mean for kids being dubbed right? So why should anime?

I am personally all for this sub-only strategy many companies have begun, since I don't listen to it I am glad I don't have to pay extra to get it. And before anyone brings up dub-only releases there is an huge difference between the two. With sub-only there already is an audio-track that just needs subtitles while with dub-only they are ignoring something that already exists and puts a huge amount of extra money into creating something new. Geneon would probably have managed to stay in the biz a while longer if they wouldn't have insisted on dubbing stuff that only would appeal to hardcore-fans which generally don't care about if a dub is there or not, such as Popotan and Strawberry Marshmallow.
[fancy signature here]
Feb 27, 2010 12:19 PM

Oct 2007
I really doubt these series will make enough profit (-_-)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 27, 2010 1:54 PM

Nov 2008
ok
Feb 27, 2010 3:06 PM

Dec 2006
Makes sense to acquire an anime about football, and JS is just a lot like american tv (shows like CSI, Cold Case etc (a.k.a case-of-week show, in this case death-of-the-week ?).

Asu no Yuichi is just meh.

Feb 27, 2010 3:47 PM

Apr 2008
Whoomp said:
Slykain said:
Whoomp said:

hypersonic124 said:

No, I actually like my anime to be in french, or Arabic if possible... of course I am sarcastic.

The thing I don't like about dubs is the fact that they help to keep the general consensus about "anime is for kids" alive. Because when importing cartoons that is meant for a younger audience you have to dub it into English because the of intended audience requires it. I see no reason for dubbing longer series with a more narrow appeal such as Jigoku Shojo or Clannad since they are meant for an age group that can read and probably have an attention-span that is greater than 5 minutes. You rarely see foreign movies that aren't mean for kids being dubbed right? So why should anime?

I am personally all for this sub-only strategy many companies have begun, since I don't listen to it I am glad I don't have to pay extra to get it. And before anyone brings up dub-only releases there is an huge difference between the two. With sub-only there already is an audio-track that just needs subtitles while with dub-only they are ignoring something that already exists and puts a huge amount of extra money into creating something new. Geneon would probably have managed to stay in the biz a while longer if they wouldn't have insisted on dubbing stuff that only would appeal to hardcore-fans which generally don't care about if a dub is there or not, such as Popotan and Strawberry Marshmallow.

Woah, cool. I didnt knew something like this is going on.
Feb 27, 2010 4:36 PM

Feb 2009
Goddammit. I hate it when they release DVDs only in sub. I wanna hear Kikuri's voice in dub. :|

FUNimation, why the slowness? Hurry and get Mitsuganae before Sentai does...
SoneAnnaFeb 27, 2010 4:43 PM
Feb 27, 2010 5:39 PM
Sep 2009
Awesome, Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori finally going to be released in America...why the hell didn't Funimation release it...they ONLY released the first season
NeverKnowsBest26Mar 5, 2010 12:19 PM
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Feb 27, 2010 5:44 PM
Apr 2008
Why would you ever want Asu no Yoichi!?
Feb 27, 2010 6:33 PM
Mar 2008
Bernkastroll said:

FUNimation actually has first choice when it comes to licenses. This isn't a case of FUNimation being slower than Sentai but of FUNimation giving up on Hell Girl and a Hell Girl dub.
Sentai is just picking up the slack to the best of their "unable to dub" ability.
Feb 27, 2010 7:46 PM

May 2007
Well Sentai hired the guy that translated season one to do the dubs for Hell Girl at least. I am dissapointed it won't be dubbed but I honestly didn't really like the show.

As for Eyeshield 21, sports anime don't work in America, Funimation just talked about how set one of Big Windup! only sold about 1000 copies, sub only makes sense for it.

Asu no Yoitsu is too niche to get a dub in this new Sentai.

And Appleseed is not only dubbed, it is getting a new dub by the group that did Ex Machina(they did a better job than the first one), yeah it is pointless but it is a dub.

Not a bad slate, really just disappointed in Funi for not grabbing season 2, Sentai gets a thumbs up for this set(unlike not dubbing Gintama which I am not for)
My anime list
Feb 27, 2010 11:55 PM

Feb 2009
Ash-Falls-Town said:
Bernkastroll said:

FUNimation actually has first choice when it comes to licenses. This isn't a case of FUNimation being slower than Sentai but of FUNimation giving up on Hell Girl and a Hell Girl dub.
Sentai is just picking up the slack to the best of their "unable to dub" ability.

That's depressing. I've lost all respect for Funi. :/
Feb 28, 2010 12:45 AM

May 2009
hypersonic124 said:

This may sound stupid, but this is the first time I've heard of "sub only releases". I thought only dubbed anime got released! O_o every single anime I've saw in HMV is dubbed!
Feb 28, 2010 2:50 AM

Nov 2008
Interesting...

Its nice to see a variety of shows being brought over.
Feb 28, 2010 2:54 AM

May 2009
haizzz... dubs, sth i cant stand for life..
Feb 28, 2010 8:20 AM
Oct 2009
Whoomp said:
Slykain said:
Whoomp said:

hypersonic124 said:

first of all, I have never seen anyone ever say that dubs make anime seem like they are made for kids, outside of the dubs that actually were made for kids. Also outside of anime with legitimately great voice acting like Conan and Haruhi, I prefer the dubs, for whatever reason (I personally can't decide if it's because of actual quality or because of the bias of dubs being the same language as the one I speak. Probably a bit of both).

I do agree with the rest of that though. However, Gintama seems to appeal to more than hardcore fans so that could use a dub. I think.

Smile, Sweet, Sister, Sadistic, Surprise, Service, Slider
Feb 28, 2010 4:19 PM

Jun 2009
will Asu no Yoichi be in ENglish
Feb 28, 2010 7:10 PM

May 2009
Why does Appleseed need to be redubbed exactly? I mean, it wasn't a very good movie, but the original dub of it is perfectly fine.
Mar 1, 2010 6:38 AM

Oct 2007
That's weird. I'm guessing the Eyeshield dub they showed on Toonami Jetstream for the short while was scrapped? Oh well, that's life.

Section23 is alright. I mean they are releasing Gintama over here, and that's probably one of the toughest series I see being big in the US. Either way I'll check out the DVD's and see how they go.

As for Asu no Yoichi............what?
Mar 1, 2010 12:08 PM

Sep 2007
Good to see Jigoku Shoujo Season 2 is finally coming to DVD in the states. And I hate dubs anyway so I'm glad Sentai does Subs-only.
Mar 9, 2010 2:50 PM
Nov 2006
It's really a shame that Eyeshield and Hell Girl won't get a dub. Oh well, at least I'll be able to watch them easily.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Smartphone Game 'Garena Free Fire' Gets Anime Project

Hyperion_PS - May 12

40 by SinisterDeezNuts »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Kuroiwa Medaka ni Watashi no Kawaii ga Tsuujinai' Gets TV Anime

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

13 by RobertBobert »»
9 hours ago

» Manga 'Kinoko Inu' Receives TV Anime in Fall 2024

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» Manga 'Kakushite! Makina-san!!' Gets TV Anime in 2025

Vindstot - May 9

15 by Piromysl »»
Yesterday, 4:47 AM

» 'Kimi no Iro' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - May 12

6 by RobertBobert »»
May 12, 11:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.