Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 22, 2017 7:48 AM

Oct 2014
Just wondering if Akagi is up to Kaiji's level, I loved Kaiji but One Outs kinda sucked IMO, I've heard if you don't understand MahJong like most westerners, it might suck, anyway would anyone recommend Akagi without Mahjong knowledge or it entertaining and easy to pick up on the rules.
May 22, 2017 7:58 AM

Jun 2014
Have you ever played Gin Rummy with a deck of cards? I think it is very similar to it. The basics of Mahjong is very simple, you could learn it, then watch the anime after.

You probably just need to know which set of Mahjong tiles scores the most points. Also, there are different House rules in Mahjong. Sometimes, the person that feeds the winner is the only person that pays. This is to kind of prevent cheating via friends. Other times, everyone pays. Also, if you mistakenly announce yourself as the winner, you have to pay everyone for ruining the game. This is also to prevent cheating/forfeit.
May 22, 2017 8:06 AM

Feb 2013
eh i found akagi to be pretty good even if i wasnt familiar with mahjong at all
kaiji is still better though
May 22, 2017 8:06 AM

Oct 2014
GrimorumInvoke said:
Have you ever played Gin Rummy with a deck of cards? I think it is very similar to it. The basics of Mahjong is very simple, you could learn it, then watch the anime after.

You probably just need to know which set of Mahjong tiles scores the most points. Also, there are different House rules in Mahjong. Sometimes, the person that feeds the winner is the only person that pays. This is to kind of prevent cheating via friends. Other times, everyone pays. Also, if you mistakenly announce yourself as the winner, you have to pay everyone for ruining the game. This is also to prevent cheating/forfeit.

Okay I might check out the rules, maybe an online tutorial video.
Thanks for the reply
May 22, 2017 8:09 AM

Oct 2014
romagia said:

it would be hard for anything to be better than kaiji, it is seriously seriously awesome zawa zawa!!!!!!!
May 22, 2017 9:24 AM

Nov 2013
I liked Akagi more. Just my opinion. Kaiji was well done too though.
May 22, 2017 9:50 AM

Jun 2014
chrisedmonds said:
romagia said:

it would be hard for anything to be better than kaiji, it is seriously seriously awesome zawa zawa!!!!!!!

Did you see the live action film? They were amazing too
May 22, 2017 10:01 AM

Feb 2010
Well it's all about Mahjong so it's less interesting because there is no variation in the 'games'. But it's still good.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 22, 2017 10:24 AM

Jul 2014
I liked both of them, but I liked Kaiji a little more because both season concluded their respective arcs.

I can't really blame the Akagi anime for that though, since the arc they ended on a cliffhanger lasted for over twenty fucking years.
May 22, 2017 4:22 PM

Mar 2011
Thread has been moved to correct series board
May 23, 2017 8:59 PM
Apr 2014
it's vastly inferior in my opinion. The author has improved greatly in the period between akagi and kaiji.
Oct 21, 2017 1:29 AM
Jul 2018
can anyone tell me if akagi has a conclusive ending or cliffhanger?

@GangsterCat thanks a lot!
removed-userOct 21, 2017 1:37 AM
Oct 21, 2017 1:35 AM

Sep 2016
Jack_100HP said:
cliffhanger. the final match is the longest match in the history of any manga. the manga will end soon and there will be another live action to conclude the final match.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 1, 2020 7:30 AM

Jun 2012
Was one outs made by the same person? The art style is similar yet different. But Id put them all on the same level.

GangsterCat said:
Jack_100HP said:
cliffhanger. the final match is the longest match in the history of any manga. the manga will end soon and there will be another live action to conclude the final match.
Holy shit really? That was the only thing I was disappointed with but if its a battle that makes manga history Im actually thrilled I saw the opening.
Jan 6, 2020 10:24 PM

Sep 2016
Sol_Ou said:
Was one outs made by the same person? The art style is similar yet different. But Id put them all on the same level.

GangsterCat said:
Holy shit really? That was the only thing I was disappointed with but if its a battle that makes manga history Im actually thrilled I saw the opening.

Just read Ten if you want to know overall ending. It's a sequel series and actually, Akagi is a spin-off of Ten that came out first.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akagi Episode 13 Discussion

zq - Oct 17, 2007

25 by Phixiately »»
Today, 9:37 AM

Poll: » Akagi Episode 12 Discussion

zq - Oct 17, 2007

12 by Phixiately »»
Yesterday, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Akagi Episode 11 Discussion

zq - Oct 17, 2007

18 by Phixiately »»
May 9, 9:20 AM

Poll: » Akagi Episode 10 Discussion

zq - Oct 16, 2007

19 by Phixiately »»
May 8, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Akagi Episode 9 Discussion

zq - Oct 16, 2007

19 by Phixiately »»
May 7, 1:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.