Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 2017 7:54 PM

Aug 2013
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I'm not really sure where MAL got this number of chapters from but oh well. I still like the movie, but it's nothing but a taste compared to this manga, it all felt like one epic saga and that was great.
May 12, 2017 1:31 AM

Dec 2016
Just finished it. Indeed, I like this version a bit more. This ending was truly emotional. What a ride :,)
Jun 14, 2017 11:42 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
all was perfect, but the end don´t liked me!!!!
Jul 20, 2019 2:38 AM

Dec 2015
While the epilogue isn't to my liking, it is coherent with the importance that the USA ingerence took over the second half of the series and the strong generations opposition the manga bathed in from the beginning.
Also, I had feared that the last contact between the two heroes would seem insufficient but I guess it was enough to wrap that up, even including the last emotional bit (I cried even though I already knew that from the movie ^^")
My main grip with the sixth book is

Last tome: 4/5

Great usage of "80s ingredients" (sci-fi, ESP, rebellious kids/gangs, etc), superb landscapes and depictions of destruction, a larger scope with every tome and yet the personal side isn't totally forgotten toward the finale...
I don't know what to write.

Score: 9/10

I can't believe the new french publication started three years ago, it sure has taken a long time to get the six tomes !
Rei_IIIJul 20, 2019 2:53 AM
Feb 1, 2020 12:41 PM

Sep 2017
Very good manga, Otomo and his masterpiece today one of the greatest references of animation culture.
Apr 12, 2020 1:52 PM

Aug 2014
Amazing. All the characters were important in some way, and the female cast became more diverse and interesting here than in the film, wich I liked.
Jan 8, 2021 6:10 PM

Jul 2008
Happy to finally get around to this — all in all a great read. Otomo is a master of set pieces. He built to action and confrontations brilliantly, and each characters' personal affairs always tied in well with the wider plot. I wasn't massively into the ending, but most conclusions that end in an incomprehensible surge of power always feel the same. Also, the Kodansha US books have a surprising number of typos. They really need a (better) proofreader.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Sep 29, 2021 10:37 PM
Apr 2021
Grown with the movie but manga is great a perfect open ending for old classic 9/10
Jan 14, 2022 1:11 AM
Jun 2017
I just finished reading Akira and I like it, it's very good. I really had a fun time reading Akira, the non-stop action, Kaneda comments always makes me laugh, the story it's really good even tho it don't answer everything we want to know and ffs, I don't care if has 400 pages, the longer the better(no homo). Overall for me 10/10, it's a classic and it's better then the movie that is a masterpiece itself.
HeisentellerJan 21, 2022 7:16 AM
Feb 28, 2022 11:33 AM

Mar 2020
Tetsuo & Kaneda are somehow even more annoying here than in the movie. kinda impressive ngl
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Dec 26, 2022 8:55 PM

Jun 2009
So yeah I wasn't feeling this series so much when I first started it but the second half starting from Akira's "bomb" and especially this last volume just absolutely clicked for me. I feel like this will need a re-read from me at some point to really organize my thoughts but while I kind of wish the series spent a bit more time building it's characters the story of these children that were basically nuclear weapons as far as their danger is concerned was really effective. And I felt genuine pain for what Tetsuo was going through in the end.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 11, 2023 11:22 PM
Sep 2019
W O W. That was better than I thought it could've been. As someone whos first exposure was the theatrical movie, I was really interested in what the FULL story was, and it did not disappoint. With an epic story and consistently some of the best art I've seen in the medium, easily one of my most enjoyable times reading something. Now I guess it's time to wait for the full anime adaptation, I wish the team working on it the best of luck at bringing this series to screen again!
Nov 8, 2023 1:26 PM
Sep 2020
Better than the movie
Nov 10, 2023 12:43 PM

Apr 2015
This was definitely wayyy better than the anime, Cant wait to rewatch the movie and see what they made now that I actually read the source material.
Dec 6, 2023 2:04 AM

Apr 2020
Episode 120: Pages 382-399 of volume 6 of the Kodansha publication. NOT the end of volume 6. [source]

Oddly enough, it seems volume 6 doesn't actually end where chapter 120 ends. According to at least three sources regarding the publications that came out in Akira's original source, Young Magazine, the final chapter to ever be released through magazine ends with Kaneda and Kei watching the sun rise over Neo-Tokyo after it exploded once again.

However, in the Kodansha publication, there are still 44 pages left before it ends, and I don't see any references showing this to be the case online. So either it doesn't count as a chapter, or these chapters were included exclusively for the collective volumes that came out afterwards. Probably for the best, as ending it at page 399 would be way too open-ended for a story that has so many twists and turns. Either way, what a wild ride this whole manga has been. MILES ahead of the movie, and that's really saying something since the movie was beautiful in its own way.
Dec 6, 2023 4:09 AM
Jul 2019
Owari Da.... It's finally over.. no more annoying notifications for these chapters
Dec 28, 2023 1:52 AM

May 2020
Reading this manga felt like going through a car crash. I mean, I enjoyed parts of it but goddamn, this manga is just non-stop action after action. Wish it spent more time developing the world and characters a bit more before Akira unleashed the second psycho-kinetic event.
Feb 19, 8:18 AM
May 2017
Okay, it was a bit of a lame ending because showing the Kaneda didn't change one bit and going around still doing shenanigans was bit to much. But what a ride it was and really love the last panels.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akira Chapter 116 Discussion

GurschachX - Dec 6, 2023

1 by almightybismarck »»
Feb 19, 8:06 AM

Poll: » Akira Chapter 113 Discussion

GurschachX - Dec 6, 2023

3 by almightybismarck »»
Feb 19, 2:50 AM

» Akira ending

Jacky08 - Feb 14

3 by Jacky08 »»
Feb 16, 12:59 PM

Poll: » Akira Chapter 110 Discussion

GurschachX - Dec 6, 2023

1 by almightybismarck »»
Feb 3, 7:02 PM

Poll: » Akira Chapter 107 Discussion

GurschachX - Dec 6, 2023

2 by almightybismarck »»
Feb 2, 11:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.