Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Durarara!! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Feb 21, 2010 9:34 AM

Apr 2009
It's the best ep so far.

Feb 21, 2010 10:18 AM

May 2009
An entire episode of Shizuo sending stuff flying.. What's not to love?! Fucking awesome.
Feb 21, 2010 11:25 AM

Aug 2009
francismeunier said:
cyoko said:
wahahahaha XD this episode really funny :D Shizuo is so cool :P
Shizuo always yelling
" Izayaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa~!!"

I did not mention this but is anyone else joining in IRL Shizuo with yelling out at the same time as him Izayaaaaaaaaaaa!? The fandom caught me on and I officially find it more engaging to do that at the same time as Shizuo does it. Anyone else also?

So, all three of us screamed "Izaaayaaaaa'at the same time? Cool!
I knew what was coming, and I was ready to join with him. =D
It felt good.
Feb 21, 2010 11:46 AM

Jun 2009
This show is simply fantastic. ^^
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Feb 21, 2010 12:43 PM

Oct 2008
The bitter relationship between Izaya and Shizuo is wacky, like "Looney Tunes" wacky. Every single time they both meet and all hell breaks loose, I can't help but think of the Bugs Bunny cartoons where Elmer Fudd unsucessfully attempts to hunt him down. Only in the case of Durarara, Elmer doesn't use a gun and has apparently been on a LOT of steroids.

Izaya: "Eh, ...what's up bartender?"

Shizuo: "IZAYAAAAAA!!!"

*throws an oversized applaince and misses*

Izaya: "Missed me, now you gotta get me!"

Shizuo: "IZAAAYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"
HypeathonFeb 21, 2010 12:49 PM
Feb 21, 2010 1:15 PM

Jun 2008
I fucking love this show. Ahaha, high school, just everything about it.

IIIIIIIIIZAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAA!!!
Feb 21, 2010 1:54 PM

Feb 2010
Blackiris said:
It's the best ep so far.

Yup was really really awesome!

Watching his past and all his jobs was hilarious.
Feb 21, 2010 3:51 PM

Jan 2010
Am I the only one who think that Simon have one of the best japanese accent ever ? :o

"Hey, ShIzU-OW !"
Feb 21, 2010 3:57 PM

Mar 2009
awesome episode, Shizou is the best

I love to hate Izaya :)

kinda rooting for Shizou x Selty, Shinra is too freaky for her :O

didn't read manga, so pacing is perfect for me
Feb 21, 2010 4:01 PM

Oct 2009
k0k0 said:
francismeunier said:
cyoko said:
Shizuo always yelling

I did not mention this but is anyone else joining in IRL Shizuo with yelling out at the same time as him Izayaaaaaaaaaaa!? The fandom caught me on and I officially find it more engaging to do that at the same time as Shizuo does it. Anyone else also?

It felt good.
Great we are the screaming Izayaaaaaa! Squad! Someone should open a club about this so every time it happens we record time and date from our location.....now that would be good to do. It's good people join on this. Personally I find it a good thing to get into the character of Shizuo.

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Feb 21, 2010 4:12 PM

Jan 2010
francismeunier said:
k0k0 said:
francismeunier said:
cyoko said:
Shizuo always yelling

It felt good.
Great we are the screaming Izayaaaaaa! Squad! Someone should open a club about this so every time it happens we record time and date from our location.....now that would be good to do. It's good people join on this. Personally I find it a good thing to get into the character of Shizuo.

If it have to occur, i'm in. :o
Feb 21, 2010 4:13 PM
Jan 2010
IIIIIIIZAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Shizuo is GAR!!
Feb 21, 2010 6:35 PM

Jan 2010
I loveddd Shizuo and his brother. Although is brother may not be a main character, I am in love with him! This episode was fcking hilarious. I really enjoyed the objects being thrown around all the time.
Man, how I'd love a gif of Shizuo being hit by that truck xp

Anyways, what's up with Shinra? He's friends with everyone important... he's like the one always in the middle. I love him, too(:
Feb 21, 2010 7:05 PM

Jul 2008
Rofl, Izaya is a god at trolling.
Feb 21, 2010 11:51 PM

Nov 2006

Yeah that's right Shizuo...scream his name!

StartupChime said:
I wonder how someone with zero charisma made it into show business... I'm guessing that it must have been on looks alone.
The talent search guy actually approached Shizuo first but got owned, so Kasuka got it instead.
Feb 22, 2010 12:07 AM

Feb 2010
I just watched it, and I must say, I like Shizuo a lot more now.

Feb 22, 2010 12:55 AM

Aug 2009
Izaya is my idol. Srsly. I want to become like when I grow up!!!!!!!!!!

And, just in case, there was no sarcasm intended in there, whatsoever.

The most entertaining episode so far...
Feb 22, 2010 2:33 AM

Sep 2007
Was it just me, or did that train crossing look like the one in Byosoku?
Feb 22, 2010 5:09 AM
Jul 2009
Truthfully even if some episodes are slow or seriously lack (personally ep 6 wasn´t bad but not exactly to my liking, maybe because the characters of that episode made me feel what they truly are-Side Character, no offense intended), this series never fail to awe me...

Even so i´d like to know what exactly is it that pull me to it, is it that it feels refreshing compared to the junk of run of the mill anime we got last year? is it because the characters even if fictional feel real? for instance, Shizuo is simply a man that tries to live it´s life even if he´s pushed around by the world, i kinda can understand that, even if i really just live a normal life with normal problems...anyway this episode more than any thus far made me look forward to even more in this series, i hope the next season can deliver the same kind of feeling that i got from this show.

And sorry for the wall of text it´s something that was on my mind and needed to get out and for the record this is a place to express our ideas freely am i right,xD?

P.D1: Sorry if my english confuse you a bit i´m not native speaker so please bear with me,xD.
P.D2:don´t get me wrong i really kiled a lot of the shows but 1 good show and the rest pure crap isn´t exactly a good season...
Feb 22, 2010 5:13 AM

Aug 2009

That's an awesome idea!
The screaming 'Izaaaaaayyyyaaaaaa!' squad! I like it.
=)
Feb 22, 2010 9:00 AM

Apr 2009
gogopex said:
Am I the only one who think that Simon have one of the best japanese accent ever ? :o

"Hey, ShIzU-OW !"

No, you're not XD I lol'd at this.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Feb 22, 2010 11:21 AM

Dec 2009
Hahaha the "I don't like violence" made me laugh.
Feb 22, 2010 12:52 PM

Jan 2009
It's pretty funny that they have all these references, as in mangas and movie posters ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃
I mean.. They're so obvious as references that they're fun, not like other kinds of references that are fun if you manage to spot them being well hidden ◔ ◡ ◔
Clearly, Shizuo hates violence ヽ(´Д`ヽ)
Shinra~ He was pretty funny already at a young age ʘ‿ʘ OH RIGHT, his dad was strange, that might explain a thing or two~ ┐('~`;)┌
Shizuo's just to damn hilarious~ ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
Simon and his sushi talk always cheers me up (‐^▽^‐)

Tl;dr the most awesome group ever: Shizu-chan, Izaya and Simon ( ̄ー ̄)
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Feb 22, 2010 3:55 PM

Jul 2008
"I don't like violence."

lolololololololololololololololol ....right. I still love you Shizzy~

Anyway, this was a hilarious episode. I'm really appreciating all the backstory of the characters and all the many ways every one is connected. I just hope the plot gets going in the next few epsiodes.
Feb 22, 2010 4:02 PM

Aug 2008
I was utterly bored. His schtick got really redundant. It's a shame because when I realized this episode was about him, I was excited for the prospects, and it just didn't go anywhere for me.
Feb 22, 2010 7:31 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
noteDhero said:
I was utterly bored. His schtick got really redundant. It's a shame because when I realized this episode was about him, I was excited for the prospects, and it just didn't go anywhere for me.
I feel the same way, sort of. The episode was entertaining, yes. But there was no real character development. We just got to know him a little better.

So...when's something going to happen?
p r o f i l e 👀
Feb 22, 2010 9:35 PM
May 2009
Yeah, there wasn't any character development, but we did get to know Shizuo a lot better. I thought this was an insightful episode on his past and why he came to be so strong. Well, I just watched it today and it's really entertaining for me to watch. Mostly because I didn't have expectations for that xD (I was initially not interested in watching this episode).

I have an inkling that Shizuo's little brother Kasuka (Is he Tom? I'm not sure. :x) will reappear in the later episodes, since he's apparently very important to Shizuo. I doubt he would betray him later on. Anyway, I hope to hear of him again. Minor foil characters are good.

I didn't really like Izaya to begin with, so it's no real surprise that Shizuo hates him so much. I thought that Shizuo didn't care about preserving the peace but now I stand corrected. :p
Feb 23, 2010 12:59 AM

Feb 2009
There wasn't any character development, true, but from this kind of episode you get to understand the relations between characters, which seems to be quite important in Drrr!
+ it had some hilarious scenes.
+ it made me like Shizuo a lot more.

Izaya <333
Feb 23, 2010 3:23 AM

Jul 2009
when does a flashback actually have character developments when it's going back to the past to explain why the character is like he/she is now? Those kind of sequences are to let us understand the characters better, especially when Durarara!! is filled with charismatic characters.

Judging from the preview, there won't be a centred character(s) in the next episode. So those who are waiting for "plot advancement" can be satisfied.
Feb 23, 2010 4:41 AM

Jun 2009
Your adolescence over? Then have some sushi!
Feb 23, 2010 4:54 AM

Jan 2010
Maryberry said:
Your adolescence over? Then have some sushi!

"Sushi is good !"
Feb 23, 2010 5:01 AM

Apr 2009
What? But there was character development.
Character development is:
"the unfolding or growth of a character as the plot develops. This can be seen not only through what they say, but also how they act, and react..."
"the gradual revelation of information about a character that the audience needs to know in order to understand the character’s motivations and intent..."

so unless you didn't understand anything that was happening, there was character development: a lot of information was revealed about Shizuo's background and his character and relationships were fleshed out.

Are people defining character development only as changes in character throughout narrative? Even then, his resolve to harness his anger/strength after hurting the lady who gave him milk would mean that there was character development.
Feb 23, 2010 7:19 AM

Aug 2008
jeroz said:
when does a flashback actually have character developments when it's going back to the past to explain why the character is like he/she is now? Those kind of sequences are to let us understand the characters better, especially when Durarara!! is filled with charismatic characters.

Judging from the preview, there won't be a centred character(s) in the next episode. So those who are waiting for "plot advancement" can be satisfied.

hikoghert said:
What? But there was character development.
Character development is:
"the unfolding or growth of a character as the plot develops. This can be seen not only through what they say, but also how they act, and react..."
"the gradual revelation of information about a character that the audience needs to know in order to understand the character’s motivations and intent..."

so unless you didn't understand anything that was happening, there was character development: a lot of information was revealed about Shizuo's background and his character and relationships were fleshed out.

Are people defining character development only as changes in character throughout narrative? Even then, his resolve to harness his anger/strength after hurting the lady who gave him milk would mean that there was character development.

This always comes up, and I pretty much always let it go. There is a difference between Characterization and Character Development. This episode was seemingly supposed to help characterize Shizuo, but really it didn't do much. We got to see a little something with him and Selty, and now know that he has a brother, but I honestly could have done without this episode because it just did so little.
Feb 23, 2010 7:21 AM

Oct 2008
I lolled in the end when Simon met Shizou again and said:
'Shizuo! Are you done with puberty? Then it's time for you to eat sushi. Sushi is good. It's the best!'

THUMBS UP FOR SUSHI, GUYS!:D
Feb 23, 2010 8:00 AM

Jan 2009
Moszat said:
THUMBS UP FOR SUSHI, GUYS!:D
Well sushi is the best after all : D
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Feb 23, 2010 8:08 AM

Jun 2009
Sushi is a fast-food nowadays, or that's what i've heard...
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Feb 23, 2010 8:41 AM

Apr 2009
This always comes up, and I pretty much always let it go. There is a difference between Characterization and Character Development. This episode was seemingly supposed to help characterize Shizuo, but really it didn't do much. We got to see a little something with him and Selty, and now know that he has a brother, but I honestly could have done without this episode because it just did so little.

There is a difference. Character development creates characterization. Each character starts off as a noun and everything afterwards that concerns the character works towards developing characterization. There's nothing that says character development is just the growth of a character from the point in time at the beginning of the story, nor anything that says characterzation is strictly what the character was before the story started. Your entry seems to be just a personal definition.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to defend the episode. So far the series has been pretty draggy for me.
hikoghertFeb 23, 2010 8:51 AM
Feb 23, 2010 9:38 AM

Aug 2008
How does character development create characterization? We need a starting point in order to say something has developed. That's the difference that I distinguish. I think most people looking at narrative tools will agree with me. I didn't say that characterization is what a character was before the story started (since it's only through flashbacks that we know a character prior to a story, and not all shows use flashbacks). I said it is the process of introducing and painting a picture of a character through dialogue, acting, design, etc.

I wasn't trying to attack the episode. Like I said before, this was all redundant, and while it characterized Shizuo as a loving big brother who has anger management issues, it was done so repetitively that the whole idea of him loosing his shit and teeing off on someone in his comical fashion became banal, and even a hindrance to getting to know him (or anyone else) better.

This episode was like a stop sign to me.
Feb 24, 2010 12:32 PM

Apr 2009
^he is just for fan service lol, just like kempachi from bliatch.

still there has to be different characters in a story anyways
Feb 24, 2010 1:30 PM

Aug 2009
Nice ad placements in this episode. Gartender!!!!
Feb 24, 2010 2:07 PM

May 2007
Shizuo just became more awesome. :3

Feb 24, 2010 6:07 PM

Aug 2009
Shizuo is such a badass. Well, I guess every other character is too :D
Feb 25, 2010 10:50 AM
May 2008
Good episode as usual, and continuing with the character development episodic style.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Feb 25, 2010 2:43 PM

Aug 2009
Haha.... silly people... noteDhero is right...

Characterization = Introducing existing character's background or facts that is not introduced before. This is more like back/side story.

Character Development = Growth of character as the parent story goes on.

Characterization =/= Character Development

If you learn IB style English, you will simply know that they are just different
Feb 27, 2010 12:29 PM

Apr 2009
I really liked this episode.
Izaya is a meanie to Shizou.
Feb 27, 2010 7:48 PM

May 2007
I didn't like Izaya before but setting Saiyo up for a crime is very low.

Just remember he doesn't like violence.
My anime list
Feb 27, 2010 8:28 PM

Aug 2008
I LMAO almost everytime Shizuo exploded! They really made you feel for the guy this episode. He's got a really cool and supportive brother, too.
Feb 27, 2010 9:48 PM

Aug 2006
I like his brother too. And I realize why everyone is so madly in love with Shizuo. I have a bit more respect - yes, respect - for hom now that I know he drinks milk, too. ;D And of course because Izaya is such an ass to him...

Overall good episode. I enjoyed laughing at Shizzy beating the crap out of everyone with a sign and after saying "Yeah, I don't like violence". I find that whole 'compulsive destruction' thing as a really bad excuse for his actions. But we all still love him~
Feb 27, 2010 10:36 PM

Aug 2008
Grrr. He's awesome!

So, I easily identified all the referenced works there, all except the first one. Was the goth girl in the chair in the first poster from an anime? If you know, can you please send me a message? ty ^^
Feb 27, 2010 10:59 PM

Mar 2009
Oh my gosh. Best episode ever.
I swear, I've watched this one episode about 3 times now. I need to get a life. :/
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

goldslaught - Jun 24, 2010

598 by dspr »»
May 4, 9:32 AM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kanade-chan - Jun 10, 2010

335 by Supremestrawhat »»
May 4, 12:47 AM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kirika- - May 27, 2010

206 by Supremestrawhat »»
May 4, 12:01 AM

» Seeking advice on watching order

Haemogoblin - Apr 28

4 by Haemogoblin »»
May 3, 11:46 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

shanimebib - May 20, 2010

212 by Supremestrawhat »»
May 3, 11:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.