Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Apr 1, 2017 8:14 AM
Aug 2013
Arikado- said:
@gophercg asked why Kotarou didn't kill all those 3 mammoths, if you are saying that Kotori in terra didn't use the powerspot (I don't remember) then I have no explanation, what you say? A plot hole? Kotarou need them or they use an insignificant amount of life?

Oh yeah right, well Kotori kept doing all her druid stuff so she could revive her parents, when Kotarou yelled at her to go away she always said she wouldn't because of her parents, so if Kotarou "kills" her parents she doesn't have a reason to keep being a druid and wouldn't use her other familiars, so that's the reason. And he had to be a savage bastard to her because if Kotori knew he did it out of concern she maybe out of loneliness would have followed and helped Kotarou no matter what he said.
Apr 1, 2017 1:56 PM
Mar 2012
Rodielx said:
Arikado- said:
@gophercg asked why Kotarou didn't kill all those 3 mammoths, if you are saying that Kotori in terra didn't use the powerspot (I don't remember) then I have no explanation, what you say? A plot hole? Kotarou need them or they use an insignificant amount of life?

Oh yeah right, well Kotori kept doing all her druid stuff so she could revive her parents, when Kotarou yelled at her to go away she always said she wouldn't because of her parents, so if Kotarou "kills" her parents she doesn't have a reason to keep being a druid and wouldn't use her other familiars, so that's the reason. And he had to be a savage bastard to her because if Kotori knew he did it out of concern she maybe out of loneliness would have followed and helped Kotarou no matter what he said.

Sounds more likely, probably not any plothole. I don't recall how the powerspot, druid & life force powers all relate. Druid is shown much more powerful than the usual gaia monster control. So Kotarou's "real" motive is maybe not just preventing life drain, but to keep Kotori safe, away from Kagari & him. He did argue a lot against her getting in danger near them.
Apr 1, 2017 6:22 PM
Jul 2016
Xerain said:
JanusVonMaria said:

I also think like you.

I always believed that the ending represented that Kotarou was able to change Kagari's fate.

Every thing that Kotarou did starting from the ending of Moon was finding a way to not let Kagari be alone on the Moon.

Also, it was implied that the only living thing that could grow on the Moon was Kagari.

You guys are forgetting the properties of Aurora. Aurora guides the creation of life. The odds of life coming into existence on it's own, but when aurora reaches a planet that it has never reached before, a bunch of new aurora is created and life springs into existence almost immediately. Yes, this is is completely illogical and miraculous. It is Dues Ex Machina, intentionally so, as in the world of Rewrite Aurora fulfills the role of God. That's why it is said that Aurora is a miracle.
BTW this information is from the encyclopedia entries that unlock in the VN after you complete the Terra Route, though I'm going from memory, so it might be a little off. These ideas were certainly in the anime... having a scant handful of easily forgettable rapid fire lines devoted to them.

The problem is that each planet can only produce a finite amount of Aurora. And the Earth used up enough of it through countless Rewrites/Salvations that it doesn't have enough to successfully complete another one.

So what happens when the reach the moon? The Aurora inside Kotarou spreads into the moon and creates new life and new Aurora. So yes, Life will grow on the moon. But it's a given that the moon is small, so it's not like humanity could life there permanently. It just grants them a reprieve and some much needed resources now that they have the almighty space tree to shepard them out into the rest of the universe. Perhaps to that new planet they mentioned on the news. Or maybe some other planet shaped like a boob. There are now endless possibilities, though screwing up again will always be in the cards.

New Topic: Thoughts on the Adaption

IMO they should have done first cour for common route, ending after the chaos caused by the Wind Dragon as a cliff hanger. Second cour would then be Kotori Route and Moon. (Kotori route because she is a large part of Terra. Not that Akane isn't, but Akane route should under no circumstances be the first route anyone sees.) If the adaptation didn't sell well, Moon actually isn't bad place to end. It has a nice climactic final battle, which wold have been a lot better given the proper time, then ends on a note of hope and possibility. A great sequel hook that still offers closure. Then based on sales they could do a whole 3rd cour for Terra, or not. Either way, I think this would have done a better job of advertising Rewrite+ and getting people to buy it. Because let's face it, that's the real reason this anime exists, being made on such a small budget as it was.

Then assuming the anime ended up massively popular because they didn't rush it to death, they could do a 2 part movie series covering Lucia Route, mainly because its self contained nature and action scenes in that lend themselves best to a movie, IMO.

While I personally don't really mind that they went with a new Kagari route, IMO, it only really has value to people who played the VN and understand it's just one of many ridiculous possibilities resulting from Moon Kagari's desperation while working on her theory. IMO that's the significance of the Meteor bonking scene in season one. "Hey, what happens if I bonk Earth Kagari, thus erasing her memory and changing her personality? Worth a shot, lets try it.... Nope. Next."

From what I remember, MoonKagari said that life could not happen on the Moon, that's why she envied Earth so much. Aurora only works on planets where life can occur.

The most that MoonKagari was able to do was to create an almost infinite numbers of Earth imitations inside pocket dimensions overlapping each other.

About the adaptation, they should have given at least the same amount of chapters than Clannad. They should have used the money for the art to make more chapters, since it was derpy enough that it will be impossible to make it worse.
Apr 1, 2017 11:20 PM

Dec 2012
Lovely ending with this beautiful kiss. Such a dramatic end, Tennouji was forced to kill her :/. After all his work to help Kagari, be forced to kill her must have been so hard. Even if it was more impressive in the VN, the way that they represented the different choices was nice.

Tennouji was so badass this season, he doesn't look like the kid of the first season. I really appreciated this adaptation and he made me want to play the VN.
All the songs were beautiful and even if sometimes the pacing was a bit too fast, this anime looked like a work of art.
Very good season. I hope that the studios will follow more frequently the original material.
Apr 5, 2017 7:03 PM

Dec 2011
WHAT THE ACTUAL FFFFFF!!! They adapt everything perfectly until NOW. WHY THE HELL THEY CUT THE PART KOTAROU SAVE AKANE????? THAT IS ONE OF THE MOST EMOTIONAL PART EVEERRRRRR, HOW HIS PARENTS PUSH HIM FORWARD FROM THE STONE CITY, HOW HE AND AKANE TRIED TO GET OUT FROM THE CITY WHEN EVERYONE IS STOPPING THEM, WHEN AKANE ACTUALLY CRY OUT SHE WANT TO LIVE!!!! FCK IT THAT IS THE PART WHERE I LOOK FOWARD TO SEE ADAPTED. FCT IT I LOVE THE ADAPTATION UNTIL NOW, BUT NOW I KINDA HATE IT

HERE GO TO 1:06:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g1rHXrri9Q
Apr 6, 2017 2:40 PM

Oct 2016
Is there a sequel to this, at least in the novel?
Apr 8, 2017 10:12 AM

Jan 2014
I am a little bit confused..

so did he succeed or failed?
didn't his mission is to protect kagari from being killed?
and yet he kill her, but the salvation didn't happened.

now after years he's ressurected by those children, but they didn't know it was Kotarou?
Apr 8, 2017 10:51 AM

May 2010
LockSpeedster said:
Is there a sequel to this, at least in the novel?

Nope, visual novel's ending is pretty much the same.

Abyhape said:

now after years he's ressurected by those children, but they didn't know it was Kotarou?

His main goal was to prevent the salvation from happening, he wanted to save Kagari because he loved her, but in the end, achiving both was impossible. I guess you can say he was a little too late with showing Kagari good memories. It's not like "salvation didn't happen at all", and while humanity wasn't completely wiped-out, the world after that happening seems pretty much post-apocalyptic, everyone has to work and help out, there are tons of injured and killed people, all of the tall sckyscrapers were destroyed, there's not technology...

And yeah, girls don't remember him, no wonder, it's been a few years after all.
Apr 8, 2017 11:14 AM

Jan 2014
Kitsu-nee said:
Abyhape said:

His main goal was to prevent the salvation from happening, he wanted to save Kagari because he loved her, but in the end, achiving both was impossible. I guess you can say he was a little too late with showing Kagari good memories. It's not like "salvation didn't happen at all", and while humanity wasn't completely wiped-out, the world after that happening seems pretty much post-apocalyptic, everyone has to work and help out, there are tons of injured and killed people, all of the tall sckyscrapers were destroyed, there's not technology...

i see..
but if I'm not wrong, Gaia wants to end the world by kill Kagari so the salvation happened, so I was wondering, the death of Kagari means salvation right?
so why Kotarou kill her, but the salvation didn't happened?
Apr 8, 2017 12:09 PM

May 2010
Abyhape said:
Kitsu-nee said:

i see..
but if I'm not wrong, Gaia wants to end the world by kill Kagari so the salvation happened, so I was wondering, the death of Kagari means salvation right?
so why Kotarou kill her, but the salvation didn't happened?

It's Guardian who wants to kill Key, because they think it'll delay or prevent salvation, Gaia actually worships her, they want to capture Key to ensure the destruction of the humanity.
Apr 10, 2017 1:14 AM

Dec 2010
We only see Yoshino now?! Sad...
Other than that I more or less enjoyed this adaptation
8/10.

Anime only here
Apr 11, 2017 3:49 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
The fight with Earth Dragon wasnt bad, and not a bad adaptation (if you forgot the budget for animation for this whole adaptation SUCKS), but Kotarou x Earth Dragon at the end of Akane's route was their most epic fight, that shit was the bomb!

That cut they made of Kotarou suddently finding Akane... at least it was nice to see her one last time, she sure looked cute enough (laughed at the pedo's warning).

No Sakuya reminiscience, :(

Kotarou finally showed to some deep emotion there when he had to kill Kagari... this all makes me come back to the VN, Kotarou x Kagiri is just a retarded ship, Kagiri original route made a change, but I still think Terra portraits Kagiri too much as a plot development tool.
It was the only solution to save the Earth, make Kotarou love Kagari, so he would protect her, instead of attacking her (which led to coma of 10 years and then common route), and for those that still dont get it, on episode 3 Kagiri is crying since she realized that this Terra's route is the only way to save the Earth, and that it implies that Kotarou will have to give up on everything, in what he had achieved with each of the girls, sacrifice himself in the end of Moon, killing himself (he killed the possibility of the heroines route happening), then sacrificing himself once again, so that the world can be saved.
Then to be summoned has a familiar like Sakuya once was (due to Chihaya), but they dont remenber him.. "The Unsong Hero".

Girls looked too cute here:

Lucia and Akane looking so cute there, nice to see them all together.

Well at least even death didnt separate the Ocult Club, and seems like Kotarou still has to alot to make the best girl Lucia and Akane's wishes, like being a slave

he is a lucky slave though:

Being a slave is quite nice indeed, if you are enslaved to the right girl that is (one hint, it is not Kagiri).

But yeah, they faithfully adapted this scene which was nice but Kotarou hair was so heard, reminding me of Sakura (tears for Sakuya the big bro T_T).
My complain again is the same from the VN, if they could have remenbered Kotarou, everything he had passed through in their routes, Moon and Terra, that would have made me so happy.

The girl on the Moon was enjoyable that said, I dont feel much for that kiss, never shipped them... found the girls reactions funny, if only they had remenbered, Kotarou would get a nice beating for cheating in front of them like that.

Far from perfect, way better than S1 adaptation, it was an enjoyable ride, sucks the anime could have been ever better, if only it had a better budget, forgetting the pacing, better animation and scenes with more impact would have had made the plot more justice.

An enjoyable 8 despite everything. A White Fox remake would be awesome, but unprobable... cant wait to read the fandisk when Rewrite + comes out.

Apr 11, 2017 4:59 PM

Aug 2009
And so the long awaited anime adaptation of my #1 VN of all time comes to an end.

I can't believe that they removed the scene of Kotarou rescuing Akane from the City of Stone. It was one of the most intense scenes in the VN and I had been looking forward to see it animated since the anime was announced back in 2015. I'm really bummed out by this.

The rest of the episode was cool though. Really fast paced, but I enjoyed it.

4/5 for this episode and 6/10 total for the second season. Compared to the 4/10 for the first season, this managed to entertain me a lot more. Theya animated all the highlghts from Moon and Terra that I could remember (excluding the City of Stone scene of course) fairly well. The direction, sound direction and editing was very poor most of the time, but it wasn't as jarring as in season 1. That's probably because I'd gotten used to it by now.

Would love to see a remake in the future, preferably by White Fox or ufotable, since I love their work on the Fate franchise. But lol, who am I kidding, we're never getting a remake. I guess this anime did its job, which was advertising the Rewrite+ game release.
Apr 11, 2017 8:13 PM

Jan 2013
Damn that ending saved this anime xD
To be honest i enjoyed the ending.
This animes was one of those that i had to put on hold because of the university, i watched until episode 3 and then stopped watching it.
From what i got this was a Kagari x Kotarou route and it was nice, it was unexpected for me but i still enjoyed it, even thought that i didn't understand many things, it was still nice.
It was a weird but it was a happy ending xD

What saved this anime was that ending!!! Amazing ;)
Glad that it ended well.

Best moment :3 #BestHarem hahah
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Apr 14, 2017 11:50 AM

Oct 2014
Loved it. Powerfull ending, even if i didn't cryied.
Fucking Wakanim taht didn't traduced the ending song, anyone have a TLed version of it (english or french)?

That moment when you go on the VNDB page and you see "No sexual content" and your dream to lewd Kagari and Lucia is broken...

PS: Anyone knows why i can't cry to this? Even Clannad dropped only some tears (same for AnoHana and some other rare ones)
Apr 14, 2017 12:41 PM

May 2010
planetarianVoId said:
PS: Anyone knows why i can't cry to this? Even Clannad dropped only some tears (same for AnoHana and some other rare ones)

Actually, Rewrite isn't a "nakige" like previous Key visual novels, so it wasn't even meant to be a game or anime that makes you cry :> I don't remember crying while reading or watching it either, maybe only during Shizuru's route once or something like that.

As for translation of the song I don't have it, but you can watch visual novel's ending on yt, which is pretty much the same, and has English and Japanese subs.
Apr 16, 2017 11:00 PM

Feb 2014
I watched it, I understand yet I didn't understand what I watched.
Very confusing yet I was able to get the essence, at least.
The second half of this episode was emotional.

S1 and S2 seems to be animes apart, different.

6/10
TechOtakuApr 16, 2017 11:14 PM
Apr 18, 2017 2:24 PM

Jul 2015
First season was boring. Second season was a bit better. The only thing that really makes me sad is the fact that Kotarou and the 5 girls can't go back to the way they were back in the first season, but oh well. I really want to like this anime, but there's just too many flaws that overpower all the good points of this anime. I'm sure the source material is probably way better than this poor adaptation, so that sucks that they weren't able to make this just as good. Overall, I'll just give this a 7/10. The best parts of this season was seeing chibi Akane tbh.

caught in the wonder
Apr 23, 2017 7:19 PM

Apr 2015
it's still kinda mind-f_cking to me... i don't understand a lot of stuff still.. for some reason, i still like it
what bugs me the most though is why and how did kagari met kotarou on the moon
Apr 24, 2017 9:05 PM

Jul 2014
Anime only viewer:

"moon" arc: 4/10 confusing
"terra" arc: 6/10 though it was somewhat fleshed better than season 1.

S2 is a 5/10.
Apr 25, 2017 6:59 AM

Jun 2013
Psychedelios said:
it's still kinda mind-f_cking to me... i don't understand a lot of stuff still.. for some reason, i still like it
what bugs me the most though is why and how did kagari met kotarou on the moon

Because the Kagari you saw in the end is the Moon Kagari...

and the Kagari who died is the Earth Kagari...
May 21, 2017 10:35 PM

Mar 2012
I think all things considered Rewrite is still a decent series but the adaptation has to be viewed as more or less a colossal failure. As someone who didn't read the VN, it's impossible to make out what's happening a lot of the times. This isn't just a case of cutting out miscellaneous stuff; it's a case of incomplete storytelling.

What frustrates me is that Rewrite is obviously a quality piece of work and deserves to be properly told. This felt like a huge waste.
May 21, 2017 10:54 PM
Aug 2013
zannett said:
I think all things considered Rewrite is still a decent series but the adaptation has to be viewed as more or less a colossal failure. As someone who didn't read the VN, it's impossible to make out what's happening a lot of the times. This isn't just a case of cutting out miscellaneous stuff; it's a case of incomplete storytelling.

What frustrates me is that Rewrite is obviously a quality piece of work and deserves to be properly told. This felt like a huge waste.

Me and a few million Rewrite VN fans more agree with this so fucking much someone needs to make a CNN News article out of it.
May 26, 2017 9:17 PM

May 2012
Well that sure was a wonderful ending! While it took me a while to actually finish as the first couple episodes were a bit misfired for me, it was still a lovely story in the end now that I've finished it!

All in all a lovely watch I must say.
Jun 8, 2017 1:49 PM

Nov 2014
That was pretty solid ending. The only thing that bothers me about it is that the trip to the moon seemed like some random idea when he suggested it to girls, but at the same time result of the trip (reunion with Kagari) suggested that he knew he has to go there.

Also, am I the only one who hoped to see Esaka when they showed surviving characters? I guess that'd be too happy ending...
JustAnotherShiroJun 8, 2017 2:08 PM
Jun 19, 2017 3:05 AM

Mar 2015
That was a really sad ending. Shame no matter what Tennouji did, all it took was ending Kagari's life

7/10, enjoyed it more than the first season but the first season was necessary for this one to work
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jun 27, 2017 8:11 AM
Oct 2015
Hi! I did a enormous break for anime, and before doing it, I had watched some episodes of Rewrite 2nd season. So, now I am a bit confused, because I forget some key moments, for example, why Kotarou still has rewrite power if druid girl didn't save her with Kagari's ribbons (because he is older than used to be in this season, if my memory doesn't trick me, I am right).
Also this one seems not logical, if he can fly to the Solar System with tens of thousands of summoners, but to the Moon he needs only 5 summoners.
Actually, I watch a season a day, but sometimes I do breaks for weeks or even months, but this break was inconvenient, because of it was on on the half way of anime.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jul 7, 2017 9:30 AM
Sep 2015
Am i the only one who feels a bit dissatisfaction about this last episode? Because i play the VN twice so i feels not perfect enough in terra route though i have fun too watching this episode.
Jul 31, 2017 1:00 PM

Jun 2013
I haven't played the VN to know much about this show but even so this confusing story defies logic to a great extent. Maybe it's hard to compile a long VN in to a 24-episode anime. But still I feel like the concept could've been way more interesting if they didn't make it needlessly complicated. I mean I feel like I wasted time trying to read about different routes and scenario when there wasn't anything deep about it. Instead I felt like I was left with more questions then answers towards the end.

However, I did like it slightly more than the previous season as it gave more insight into Koutaro's past. But the fact that ever route ultimately leads to the end of the world other than final terra route which almost did the same with a little less destruction seemed so pointless. I felt like the whole event could've been avoided if the protagonist just killed Kagari in the beginning since she was the main source of destruction which was triggered by Gaia or by just showing some positive contributions of humanity as "fond memories" to halt the destruction instead of trying to stop the war between Gaia and Guardian. But since love pervades all including greater good and rationality all those things didn't really matter.

6/10
Aug 5, 2017 10:46 PM
Aug 2013
FatalGaze said:
I haven't played the VN to know much about this show but even so this confusing story defies logic to a great extent. Maybe it's hard to compile a long VN in to a 24-episode anime. But still I feel like the concept could've been way more interesting if they didn't make it needlessly complicated. I mean I feel like I wasted time trying to read about different routes and scenario when there wasn't anything deep about it. Instead I felt like I was left with more questions then answers towards the end.

However, I did like it slightly more than the previous season as it gave more insight into Koutaro's past. But the fact that ever route ultimately leads to the end of the world other than final terra route which almost did the same with a little less destruction seemed so pointless. I felt like the whole event could've been avoided if the protagonist just killed Kagari in the beginning since she was the main source of destruction which was triggered by Gaia or by just showing some positive contributions of humanity as "fond memories" to halt the destruction instead of trying to stop the war between Gaia and Guardian. But since love pervades all including greater good and rationality all those things didn't really matter.

6/10

Your understanding is too poor and I am too lazy to correct your wrong thinking but anyway, the story, aside from moon, isn't complicated at all and doesn't defy logic any more than any other sci-fi/fantasy story. "I felt like the whole event could've been avoided if the protagonist killed Kagari in the beginning" oh my god this phrase sounds like you slept through 90% of the story (wouldn't blame you, the anime is shit)... Kagari dies, another one is born later, or Earth run out of resources, either way Earth dies. Just look at the story again with this absolute truth in mind, the ONLY way the Earth would ever survive is the Terra route, in any of the other infinite possibilities, no matter what anyone does, the Earth dies. A little exaggerated but yeah. The story (not the anime) is really good man, if you understand it, or try to. Of course I know that because I read the VN, what a great story wasted on a terribly done anime.
Sep 22, 2017 6:41 AM
Apr 2014
So he was unable to save the world and Kagari after all? Pretty disappointing.

What was that end though... That was weird as fuck. Should have ended with the little summary of what happened after that day. Or at least found some other way to get him to the moon at the end.
Oct 21, 2017 1:22 PM

Aug 2009
It was okay. But at the same I felt that if he killed Kagari in the beginning it would have avoided all that stuff he did to save the world and to prevent Kagari from being killed.
Oct 25, 2017 10:43 AM
Oct 2017
Wait..did he still had his previous life memories after being summoned by all of them ? And how did he changed from the butler look to his old usual self while walking in the end ?
Sep 21, 2018 11:55 AM

Jun 2011
wtf is this..

> gotta leave my legacy by annoucing that i am an earth saving hunter
> act really cool like your typical hero saving the nakama
> speak a few cheesy pick-up lines for no reason
> letting people know you're gonna sacrifice yourself, what a man, right?
> random english, that's not the skill name, right?

so I am confused, why did he have to kill Kagari? What is Kotarou, why did he turn into this plant-like thing? (from overusing Rewrite I assume, also watched season 1 like 2 years ago and don't remember a thing, only remember that it sucked) Why is Kotori being so buddy-buddy with Kotarou? Didn't he cut off their relationship? Why did he even need to do that in the first place, cutting off all relationships?

I gotta say though, the ending is beautiful. The little ball of light thing when they're going over to the moon, new Kotarou design, and then reverting back to his nostalgic self, and then later the kiss with moon Kagari..

Sadly, the second half of this show sucked. I enjoyed the first half a lot, only if it continued the momentum it had from the first half of the show. Admittedly there's not many episodes available for this season so they had to cut down quite a bit of contents, but as an anime only, it only makes the story more confusing and I wonder why even bother making this shit if you're not gonna do it properly anyway? To promote the original source? One season should be enough then.

Also dislike the moe a lot in shows like this, the moe, and the sexual pedophilic jokes. It's annoying having 8 years old kids crying when shit gets real, and they cry while trying to appear as moe as possible, it's just annoying.

Oh also forgot, why did Kagari lost her ability to speak proper sentences during the small period of time span before Kotarou kills her in the final episode? The whole thing felt really rushed.

Really wanted to enjoy this anime, really do wish it had gotten a proper adaptation given its popularity and huge following from the VN. I still think there's a way to make it simplier to understand and more enjoyable to watch still.

P.S. a lot of events I also feel were narrated "VN-style" instead of playing it out, like Kotarou would just go through the events by speech as the actual events were being skipped over in the background. Just very hard to get into it, emotionally.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 2, 2018 3:08 PM

Jun 2014
ToG25thBaam said:

so I am confused, why did he have to kill Kagari? What is Kotarou, why did he turn into this plant-like thing? (from overusing Rewrite I assume, also watched season 1 like 2 years ago and don't remember a thing, only remember that it sucked) Why is Kotori being so buddy-buddy with Kotarou? Didn't he cut off their relationship? Why did he even need to do that in the first place, cutting off all relationships?

Yeah that the problem of cutting too much content. The ending is probably near impossible to understand for anime only viewer because there's too much content cut. It's been a while since I read rewrite but I'll try to summarize it for you.

To understand why Kotarou killed Kagari you have to understand a lot of thing. First, Kagari is the will of the earth, also called the Key. The Key is an existance that the earth summon everytime it's energy is about to depleted, her role is to find "good memories", in the case she doesn't find it she bring salvation to the earth and wipe every living thing to take their energy and do a re-evolution(back to bacteria and doing evolution all over again). The flaw of that system is that the energy isn't conserved well and the earth loses energy more and more. The timeline with Kotarou's and Kagari is a critical one. Kagari herself says that the earth has no more energy to entame a re-evolution and so if the Key bring salvation, life will be wiped out forever from the earth.

Now we have to ask why exactly the earth summon that Key everytime, and that answer is from the "good memories" Kagari search for. In summary the good memories are the will of the living to strive to survive no matter what since, the earth is basically just a planet to hold life, the true miracle of the universe is life itself and it doesn't want it to die. (The good memories is explained in episode 11 of the second season).

Finally we come to this season, Moon and Terra. Basically the Moon segment(ep 1-4) is somewhere outside the plane of time where the Moon(who has no energy, only enough to have it's own Kagari) steal some of the energy of the earth after one of it's salvation and use it to make simulation of infinite timeline to find out a path where life survives. That the plot, and at the end of it Moon Kagari find a path and send the energy back to the earth and we get into the Terra season (ep 5-11).

The Terra season is the true route, the way for life to survive but for it we have to go back to 10yrs before the first season, in Kotarou's childhood. In there, Kotarou made a choice that changed the whole timeline, he DIDN'T attack kagari and get fatally wounded(which gives the story of season 1 where he got amnesia and didn't age). And then moon Kagari guided all his actions for the rest of season. What Kotarou was doing was really show Kagari HIS will of survive and forge a path for humanity to strenghten it's will for survival.

How he did it? He destroyed the 2 faction that wasted the most ressource of the earth(Gaia and Guardian) and showed her how he HAS to live. But tragically, that was too late, Kagari already entamed her salvation and there was no way to stop it but to kill her. But, since Kotarou did manage to give Kagari some good memories, there's no need for another Key to spawn and search for it, and the cycle was over with it and humanity got a way to survive the ice age(the information about summoner Kotarou and Jasmin spread) and an iron will to survive. Also, since Kotarou and Kagari merged into a tree and became an OP familiar, humanity has now a method to escape the earth dying from the lack of ressource and exxplore the galaxy, that why this route is the true route, life survive and can still live outside the solar system.

Also Kotarou turned into a tree to survive salvation, as he rewrite himself more and more, he turns into a familiar and transform more and more like pure energy, and at the end the purest of energy is just a tree(it's symbolism). You learn this in some route of the VN where Kotarou has to transform into a tree to survive salvation and you also learn that Sakuya(the butler) was the previous Rewriter and also turned into a tree to survive the salvation of his timeline.

Sorry for this wall of text, Rewrite has like too much to explain to understand the plot. I hope it helped!
Thai777Oct 2, 2018 3:11 PM
Oct 2, 2018 3:57 PM

Jun 2011
Thai777 said:
Yeah that the problem of cutting too much content. The ending is probably near impossible to understand for anime only viewer because there's too much content cut. It's been a while since I read rewrite but I'll try to summarize it for you.

To understand why Kotarou killed Kagari you have to understand a lot of thing. First, Kagari is the will of the earth, also called the Key. The Key is an existance that the earth summon everytime it's energy is about to depleted, her role is to find "good memories", in the case she doesn't find it she bring salvation to the earth and wipe every living thing to take their energy and do a re-evolution(back to bacteria and doing evolution all over again). The flaw of that system is that the energy isn't conserved well and the earth loses energy more and more. The timeline with Kotarou's and Kagari is a critical one. Kagari herself says that the earth has no more energy to entame a re-evolution and so if the Key bring salvation, life will be wiped out forever from the earth.

Now we have to ask why exactly the earth summon that Key everytime, and that answer is from the "good memories" Kagari search for. In summary the good memories are the will of the living to strive to survive no matter what since, the earth is basically just a planet to hold life, the true miracle of the universe is life itself and it doesn't want it to die. (The good memories is explained in episode 11 of the second season).

Finally we come to this season, Moon and Terra. Basically the Moon segment(ep 1-4) is somewhere outside the plane of time where the Moon(who has no energy, only enough to have it's own Kagari) steal some of the energy of the earth after one of it's salvation and use it to make simulation of infinite timeline to find out a path where life survives. That the plot, and at the end of it Moon Kagari find a path and send the energy back to the earth and we get into the Terra season (ep 5-11).

The Terra season is the true route, the way for life to survive but for it we have to go back to 10yrs before the first season, in Kotarou's childhood. In there, Kotarou made a choice that changed the whole timeline, he DIDN'T attack kagari and get fatally wounded(which gives the story of season 1 where he got amnesia and didn't age). And then moon Kagari guided all his actions for the rest of season. What Kotarou was doing was really show Kagari HIS will of survive and forge a path for humanity to strenghten it's will for survival.

How he did it? He destroyed the 2 faction that wasted the most ressource of the earth(Gaia and Guardian) and showed her how he HAS to live. But tragically, that was too late, Kagari already entamed her salvation and there was no way to stop it but to kill her. But, since Kotarou did manage to give Kagari some good memories, there's no need for another Key to spawn and search for it, and the cycle was over with it and humanity got a way to survive the ice age(the information about summoner Kotarou and Jasmin spread) and an iron will to survive. Also, since Kotarou and Kagari merged into a tree and became an OP familiar, humanity has now a method to escape the earth dying from the lack of ressource and exxplore the galaxy, that why this route is the true route, life survive and can still live outside the solar system.

Also Kotarou turned into a tree to survive salvation, as he rewrite himself more and more, he turns into a familiar and transform more and more like pure energy, and at the end the purest of energy is just a tree(it's symbolism). You learn this in some route of the VN where Kotarou has to transform into a tree to survive salvation and you also learn that Sakuya(the butler) was the previous Rewriter and also turned into a tree to survive the salvation of his timeline.

Sorry for this wall of text, Rewrite has like too much to explain to understand the plot. I hope it helped!
Thanks, it definitely helped. I was confused that there's a moon Kagari and an Earth Kagari but you cleared it up. I thought at first it was the same person but in a different time line, like after the moon arc they entered another timeline where humanity survives.

Still a lot to absorb though, I legit didn't know about most of these stuffs, either I wasn't paying attention, or forgot most of the details from season 1 or the anime just straight out skipped the explanation.

Can you please help me with a few more questions? How did Kotarou survive fatal attacks from Kagari at the beginning of the moon arc? What is Rewrite exactly, what power is it? Does Kotarou or any of the girls retain the memories from other "routes"? Akane acts like an adult even in her young age, and she seems to know Kotarou from another timeline or something. Why did Kotarou have to break off all his relationships before he depart? How did Kagari regain her ability to talk when it was shown that she lost it in one of the final episodes in that hotel scene?

Thai777 said:
I'd say this is symbolism done right, it takes something within its own story and not from outside source like Buddhism and stuffs that people are not familiar with.. though tree of life is not an uncommon concept.
ToG25thBaamOct 3, 2018 8:18 AM
Oct 2, 2018 4:51 PM

Jun 2014
ToG25thBaam said:
Thanks, it definitely helped. I was confused that there's a moon Kagari and an Earth Kagari but you cleared it up. I thought at first it was the same person but in a different time line, like after the moon arc they entered another timeline where humanity survives.

Still a lot to absorb though, I legit didn't know about most of these stuffs, either I wasn't paying attention, or forgot most of the details from season 1 or the anime just straight out skipped the explanation.

Can you please help me with a few more questions? How did Kotarou survive fatal attacks from Kagari at the beginning of the moon arc? What is Rewrite exactly, what power is it? Does Kotarou or any of the girls retain the memories from other "routes"? Akane acts like an adult even in her young age, and she seems to know Kotarou from another timeline or something. Why did Kotarou have to break off all his relationships before he depart? How did Kagari regain his ability to talk when it was shown that she lost it in one of the final episodes in that hotel scene?

It's vague but on the moon Kotarou isn't really there but it's a manifestation of him. Since it's on another plane of reality it's like Kotarou isn't really there but a projection of him made of energy is there so technically he doesn't really die but everytime kagari destroy him he just comes back because that where he converge to. Why he is the chosen one to converge there is a mystery, it might be because his link to Kagari is pretty big because everytime a Key is born, a Rewriter is born to follow her(I don't remember why but the destiny of a Key and a Rewriter is always intertwined).

Rewrite is basically the power to rewrite anything of the user body but the cost of it is that everytime the Rewriter uses it, he slowly transform into a familiar or a being made of energy.

No, no girls retain any memory of previous route. In the moon part every girl had their memories of every route because all the timeline "converge" into the moon but after that no one remembers any route, only Moon Kagari.

As for Akane, basically everything in the Terra route is canon to the first season of Rewrite until Kotarou meet Kagari, that means that yes, Akane did know Kotarou before season 1 but I don't know if she remembers him well, I think she does dig deep into her background in her route but I'm not sure. I don't know what yo mean by Akane acting adult in her young age, you might be talking about the Holy woman ritual where Gaia transfer the memories of the previous Holy woman to the new one?

As for why Kotarou broke up all his friendship? I don't know who exactly you're talking about? Guardian? Kotori? In these case it's because in the Moon part, when Moon Kagari find her answer, the key to find the path for life to survive was the message Kotarou wrote and implanted in the theory: "I want to meet you again". That message became a core of the timeline and remade Kotarou with a strong urge to meet Moon Kagari again, that why he is infatuated with Terra Kagari and is so desperately on her side which made him betray Gaia, Guardian and chase away Kotori(that one was because he cared for her and didn't want her to be involved).

I don't remember how and why Kagari lost her way to talk, perhaps because she was closer and closer to salvation and became more and more of a tool of destruction instead of a tool of observation? I would need to reread Terra or rewatch the anime to truly know.

She probably regained her ability to talk at the end when she was shown the good memories though.

Thai777Oct 2, 2018 7:49 PM
Oct 3, 2018 8:33 AM

Jun 2011
Thai777 said:
As for Akane, basically everything in the Terra route is canon to the first season of Rewrite until Kotarou meet Kagari, that means that yes, Akane did know Kotarou before season 1 but I don't know if she remembers him well, I think she does dig deep into her background in her route but I'm not sure. I don't know what yo mean by Akane acting adult in her young age, you might be talking about the Holy woman ritual where Gaia transfer the memories of the previous Holy woman to the new one?
After the Gaia presentation meeting or something like that where Kotarou's parents forced Kotarou to ask a generic question that would make the organization look good, and Kotarou did just the opposite, Kotarou then left the hall and met Akane outside of the hall. Akane was still a child but she talked about some mature topics with Kotarou, agreeing with Kotarou that they both disagree on Gaia's methods and saw through their hypocrisy and lies. Akane rarely acted like a kid when she was a kid.

As for why Kotarou broke up all his friendship? I don't know who exactly you're talking about? Guardian? Kotori? In these case it's because in the Moon part, when Moon Kagari find her answer, the key to find the path for life to survive was the message Kotarou wrote and implanted in the theory: "I want to meet you again". That message became a core of the timeline and remade Kotarou with a strong urge to meet Moon Kagari again, that why he is infatuated with Terra Kagari and is so desperately on her side which made him betray Gaia, Guardian and chase away Kotori(that one was because he cared for her and didn't want her to be involved).
Yep with Kotori and his fellow guardians. Kotarou gave a reality smack to Kotori and had a fight with her and they basically cut off their friendship, they never amend that relationship and Kotori said she hated Kotarou before Kotarou left to do the important things. And then at the end of the Terra arc when the girls summoned Kotarou to be their butler, Kotori seemed fine with Kotarou somehow? She didn't recognize him or what?

Also just noticed that they called Kotarou to be their butler is linked to this sentence of yours
you also learn that Sakuya(the butler) was the previous Rewriter and also turned into a tree to survive the salvation of his timeline.
Oct 3, 2018 8:52 PM

Jun 2014
ToG25thBaam said:
After the Gaia presentation meeting or something like that where Kotarou's parents forced Kotarou to ask a generic question that would make the organization look good, and Kotarou did just the opposite, Kotarou then left the hall and met Akane outside of the hall. Akane was still a child but she talked about some mature topics with Kotarou, agreeing with Kotarou that they both disagree on Gaia's methods and saw through their hypocrisy and lies. Akane rarely acted like a kid when she was a kid.

We can just say she's a smart child then :P unless I'm forgetting about something from her route there's no deeper meaning to her intelligence.

ToG25thBaam said:

Yep with Kotori and his fellow guardians. Kotarou gave a reality smack to Kotori and had a fight with her and they basically cut off their friendship, they never amend that relationship and Kotori said she hated Kotarou before Kotarou left to do the important things. And then at the end of the Terra arc when the girls summoned Kotarou to be their butler, Kotori seemed fine with Kotarou somehow? She didn't recognize him or what?

She doesn't recognize him. What they summoned wasn't a pure "Kotarou" but a mix of Kotarou and Kagari, so his look should be the long haired butler one. Why he reverted into his old look? No idea that was the case in the VN and made it confusing too, bad planning or symbolism who knows?
As for Akane she too doesn't recognize Kotarou. But from what a fan said, Romeo Tanaka(the main writer of Rewrite) said that right now Kotori and Akane doesn't recognize Kotarou but perhaps in the future they might find out.

ToG25thBaam said:

Also just noticed that they called Kotarou to be their butler is linked to this sentence of yours

you also learn that Sakuya(the butler) was the previous Rewriter and also turned into a tree to survive the salvation of his timeline.

Yes yes, that was EXACTLY the intent of that scene. It was literally a parallel to Sakuya but anime viewer couldn't understand that part since Chihaya route wasn't adapted. Actually Sakuya and Kotarou has a lot of parallel being fellow Rewriter, that also the reason why Sakuya tell Kotarou he hates him on their first meeting.
Oct 4, 2018 1:30 PM

Jun 2011
Thai777 said:
We can just say she's a smart child then :P unless I'm forgetting about something from her route there's no deeper meaning to her intelligence.
Then I'll take it as that. xD

Thai777 said:
She doesn't recognize him. What they summoned wasn't a pure "Kotarou" but a mix of Kotarou and Kagari, so his look should be the long haired butler one. Why he reverted into his old look? No idea that was the case in the VN and made it confusing too, bad planning or symbolism who knows?
As for Akane she too doesn't recognize Kotarou. But from what a fan said, Romeo Tanaka(the main writer of Rewrite) said that right now Kotori and Akane doesn't recognize Kotarou but perhaps in the future they might find out.
No wonder.. hopefully they would be able to make peace when the girls finally recognize Kotarou. His situation is quite sad really.

Thai777 said:
Yes yes, that was EXACTLY the intent of that scene. It was literally a parallel to Sakuya but anime viewer couldn't understand that part since Chihaya route wasn't adapted. Actually Sakuya and Kotarou has a lot of parallel being fellow Rewriter, that also the reason why Sakuya tell Kotarou he hates him on their first meeting.
But yeah thanks a lot for helping with understanding the series. I wonder why would stories like this get animated if they don't plan on doing it well.. Island is also another story with a rather confusing time travel plot that would've been impossible to understand without the help of fans who've read the original source.
Oct 5, 2018 8:55 AM

Jun 2014
ToG25thBaam said:
But yeah thanks a lot for helping with understanding the series. I wonder why would stories like this get animated if they don't plan on doing it well.. Island is also another story with a rather confusing time travel plot that would've been impossible to understand without the help of fans who've read the original source.

You're welcome! I'm glad I could have helped.
Sadly VN adaptation are either treaten with care or rushed to just promote the original.
I haven't watched Island yet but I have the VN on my computer waiting to be read, I'm looking forward to it.
Oct 28, 2018 3:21 PM

Oct 2012
Hmpf. So it was generally the same shit as in the novel. I still strive to see how anything he did in this arc can be seen as good memories, that's some twisted anime logic for you I guess.

I actually liked the first season (actally, even more than the game as it was put together well) but, the same as the game, this arc was literally horrible. And no, I'm unwilling to look for any deeper meaning in all this mess when the previous episodes lacked any cohesive developement.
Whole Rewrite (game and the anime too) is overrated a lot and only good thing there are the girls, not their stories or main plot though.

3/10 for this season, and Kotarou is the worst character of them all.
Mich666Oct 28, 2018 3:29 PM
Jan 2, 2019 9:02 PM
Mar 2016
Mich666 said:
So it was generally the same shit as in the novel

I actually liked the first season (actally, even more than the game as it was put together well) but, the same as the game, this arc was literally horrible.

Kotarou is the worst character of them all.

What kind of stupid joke is this
Jan 29, 2019 8:11 PM

May 2010
I still don't know what happened.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 17, 2019 7:56 AM
Aug 2018
Is this the true ending from the vn?
Jun 13, 2019 1:28 AM

Jun 2014
Confucius said:
I still don't know what happened.

If you want I can explain to you, Rewrite is a grand story but it's impossible to understand by watching the anime itself.

RianRiski14 said:
Is this the true ending from the vn?

Yes it is, they slightly changed the final scene though (Kotarou doesn't kiss Kagari in the VN).
Oct 21, 2019 8:56 AM
Oct 2019
Tennouji became a pornstar.
Apr 29, 2020 10:32 PM

Feb 2018
Great anime... Koutarou x Kagari, 10/10.
Apr 18, 2021 5:04 PM
Apr 2020
That ended pretty well, huh..

I haven't read the VN is this, but I really can tell that they cut too many things. The first season was not pretty good but it did step up in this second one.. Though this one is confusing as heck especially at the start of the series. Well atleast the ending is pretty good so I'm satisfied with that. I'll give this 8/10
Aug 14, 2021 7:26 AM

Dec 2020
Wow, this ep made me cry :(. But, fortunately this anime has a happy ending even though it's a bit absurd for me
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rewrite 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2017

182 by White_Alice »»
Dec 16, 2023 2:13 PM

Poll: » Rewrite 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2017

115 by phantomic109 »»
Jun 19, 2023 12:51 PM

Poll: » Rewrite 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2017

110 by ka7eMARU »»
Nov 5, 2022 6:10 PM

Poll: » Rewrite 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2017

154 by ka7eMARU »»
Nov 5, 2022 5:45 PM

Poll: » Rewrite 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2017

95 by Ashhk »»
Sep 1, 2021 5:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.