Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Mar 27, 2017 5:32 PM

Dec 2013
TheSingular said:
Ratohnhaketon said:
As an anime only watcher, I'm sure I don't have this down pat. I welcome any corrections or clarifications from VN readers as I'm sort of swinging in the dark on this, but just to recap:

Season 1 sets the scene for the bigger problem. It introduces us to Kotarou and the core cast as well as the battle between Gaia & Guardian over the Key (which takes the form of Kagari). It's one of the many timelines/possible futures for humanity that's cut short due to a lack of resources.

In season 2, it's revealed that Kotarou has lived and experienced multiple timelines in which he had a myriad of different possibilities with each of the five girls. But throughout each one, he had always either given up on Kagari as a whole or protected her until the end. In between each timeline, he'd be reborn on the moon, in which Kagari would kill him and he'd start the cycle again. In this case, however, he contributed to her research and helped her find the possibility that would work, with everyone sending Kotarou off to save the world in its final tribulation.

And so in this final timeline, Kotarou is significantly older than the girls. From what I gather, this was so he could end the war between Gaia and Guardian and protect them from getting dragged in. As for Kagari, he wanted to show her fond memories in order to convince her humanity was worth saving. In the end, however, he was moments too late and had to kill her to stop the final judgement.

After that...I'm not exactly sure what happened. The girls brought Kotarou back as a monster and he rewrote their commands to go see Kagari again? Either way, it was a whirlwind of overwhelming emotions in this final episode.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well as a whole, I found this second season far more enjoyable than the first. Perhaps it was partly because of how the bigger picture was finally forming. In hindsight, the concept of the Earth managing its resources to ensure its survival is very much a fascinating thought to ponder on. It also felt more compelling, especially since Kotarou was stumbling through the final timeline unaware of his past lives and promise to Kagari until the very end. Particularly that time he spent in the war zone was very heavy. In some strange way, it reminded me of the magnitude of Charlotte (only better).

7.5/10

Let me give you a quick rundown of some of the differences of the anime and VN and a summary of those routes from the VN that exists in both anime and VN(Main Heroine's routes don't exist in the anime, at least not completely).
I'll put it in a spoiler tag just to be safe

Thanks for the summary.
It was a little hard to sort through the entire two seasons and come out with a viable story in my mind.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Mar 27, 2017 9:18 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
That Shizuru at the end, lifting her eye patch in such surprise lol

Pretty enjoyable show. More of a reason to play the VN once it comes out for PS4 or so I heard. I really liked Akane's personality, she can be smug at times and be very cute.

That kiss with Kagari so beautiful. I enjoyed season 2 more season 1. 8/10

Mar 28, 2017 3:14 AM
Mar 2017
From what I understand each heroine has their own routes? Like Kotori married to Koutaro...It didn't mean when humanity was given 1 last chance for salvation. The other routes of the heroines erased? Meaning each route is independent... So we could say that Terra is like a Kagari route and there are Koutaros living a happy life with the heroines in other timelines...
Mar 28, 2017 8:51 AM
Jul 2016
1032patrick said:
From what I understand each heroine has their own routes? Like Kotori married to Koutaro...It didn't mean when humanity was given 1 last chance for salvation. The other routes of the heroines erased? Meaning each route is independent... So we could say that Terra is like a Kagari route and there are Koutaros living a happy life with the heroines in other timelines...

Each heroine has their own route, but sadly the only route that is intact is the Terra route.

From what I understood in the VN, all the routes besides Terra and Moon were simulations that the Kagari in the Moon did to find a way to save humanity.

This a minor spoiler, but in every route Kotarou managed to give happiness to the girl he fell in love, but he won't be able to save the world. After Kotarou wakes up from his coma, the world came to a state where is too late to save it.

In some worlds, humanity lives a comfortable life until Kotarou dies from old age and in others the world falls into an apocalyptic state like what happened at the end of Terra, but in both cases humanity is doomed.

Kotarou is a total beast who is able to give happiness to the girl he choose, no matter what. So the correct answer to save humanity is for him to fall in love with Kagari before is too late to do anything.
Mar 28, 2017 11:24 AM

Sep 2013
Most of the ep went bouncer over my head. Most people still died, maybe that's why it was called 'cruel process of selection'. The 'culling' of humanity taught them some lesson. Kotarou finally sees Kagari after million years of re-evolution and the girls just stare them kissing.

So what was the gag about Kagari nibbling Koutarou's hand???
Mar 28, 2017 1:57 PM
Aug 2013
rinneganfire4u said:

That's because Kotori used part of Kagari's ribbons to re-attach Kotarou's arm or maybe replace part of it I don't know, when Kotarou chooses to attack Kagari 10 years before the common route where he's in school with all the girls. Kagari feels instinctively attracted to something that is basically part of her concentrating in Kotarou's arm.
Mar 28, 2017 2:01 PM

Jan 2015
rinneganfire4u said:
(...)So what was the gag about Kagari nibbling Koutarou's hand???

S1? She was attracted by her ribbon (aurora) which Kotori implanted inside Kotarou's arm to save his life (close his wounds) when Kagari attacked him 10 years ago.

[edit]^ Yes rodiel is right, I didn't notice ^
Mar 28, 2017 7:47 PM
Mar 2017
The girls revived on the moon...What timeline are they or maybe the convergence of all...Same with Koutaro?
Mar 28, 2017 9:33 PM

Dec 2013
1032patrick said:
The girls revived on the moon...What timeline are they or maybe the convergence of all...Same with Koutaro?

They were a convergence.
Mar 28, 2017 11:30 PM
Mar 2017
G_Spark233 said:
1032patrick said:

They were a convergence.
Do you think the timeline like Koutaro and Kotori married and other heroines...Still exists? because the world in that timeline isn't completely destroyed? Kagari just wants a better world for everyone so the terra route.
Mar 28, 2017 11:45 PM

Sep 2013
Rodielx said:
rinneganfire4u said:

That's because Kotori used part of Kagari's ribbons to re-attach Kotarou's arm or maybe replace part of it I don't know, when Kotarou chooses to attack Kagari 10 years before the common route where he's in school with all the girls. Kagari feels instinctively attracted to something that is basically part of her concentrating in Kotarou's arm.

Thanks for answering...
A question I had in mind for quite a while, is Kagari the only Key in Kazamatsuri?? Does she assess the situation only there, and even if rest of the world is peaceful, will she bring ruin due to conflict in certain pockets of the world??
Mar 29, 2017 6:02 AM

Jun 2016
Rodielx said:
1032patrick said:
Can someone explain the relation of season 1 and 2....After their deaths in season one what happened? Koutaro on the moon and vanished again..Humanity starts again?... Please someone explain..I am really confused..Thanks

Kyamana said:
After their deaths on Season 1, it turns out that it was just another parallel world. If you already finished watching the 2nd season it shows that after that Kotarou enters a loop in which everytime he is killed by Kagari in that cliff he wakes up in a different parallel world with different routes.

The way the anime adapted Rewrite it might seem like Kotarou is going to a different parallel world, which aren't really parallel they're just different possibilities, every time Kagari kills him, but it isn't really like that, Kotarou was just remembering the worlds a little more vividly each time he woke up. In the VN we see that actually Kotarou spends a huge amount of time (millions of years, in Moon the concept of time isn't supposed to exist) just getting close to Kagari and another huge amount of time helping her with her research, all of that without "going back" to a possible world. The relation between season 1 and season 2 is that the world we see in season 1 is just one of the possible worlds that Kagari is researching, in that world Kotarou gets close to Kagari and couldn't kill her to stop Salvation (If he killed her, Earth would've died later anyway so it wasn't the answer to the research), aside from season 1's there are many other worlds where Kotarou ends up with another heroine. Then we see in Season 2 episode 3 that thanks to Kotarou, Kagari finds a possible worlds in which Earths is saved, so she implements that world and sends all the life energy from the Moon to the Earth so that life can start again, but this time with a kind of "programming" in which Kotarou ultimately saves Earth from dying.
Oh i see, that's why Kotarou remembers some faint memory on the world in season 1. I tried installing the Visual Novel several times before the season 2 is aired but it just won't. Huhu.
I am not a friend of justice. I am an enemy of evil.

STAPLE STABLE
Mar 29, 2017 6:13 AM

Feb 2014
Overall, this was much better than the first season and was far more enjoyable. If they had this type of adaptation in the first season covering Kotori's route only, it would have been fine.

As a VN reader, it was nice seeing a lot of things animated and I obviously understood everything that was going on so I could follow the story. However, as a standalone anime? This was a failure. This thread is proof that people are still confused as fuck, the pacing had some major issues, and it was hard to connect some things you saw in this season because... those things were explained in the other routes that were never adapted. This show really deserved like 50+ episodes.

But as a VN reader, I feel satisfied. Was going to give it a 6, but because of VN bias I'm pushing it up to a 7/10.

PS: The ending was nice but I'm confused how that could happen since I thought Kagari was a little sprout and Kotarou wasn't really what he used to be, but whatever I guess you could say that he retained his original personality (I mean Sakuya did after all) and Kagari kept her human form waiting for that moment. It was a nice ending though.

exleader75 said:

I remember that I was so excited when this adaptation was announced. Now I'm sort of sad to see it end, but I still want a re-adaptation that will probably never happen.

Remembering where I was before it started and now... man, quite the journey haha. I too hope the readaptation (that will never happen) happens one day too.
LoomyTheBrewMar 29, 2017 6:20 AM
Mar 29, 2017 11:51 AM

Mar 2013
It was emotional finale. Rushed nonetheless.

But there are some things that i'm confused about -

1. He kissed Kagari of the moon and not the earth Kagari at the end, right? (Obvious but still asking to be sure)

2. After Koutarou turns familiar with his memories gone, during the journey to the moon, why did he turned back to his teen form and remembers Kagari? And with emotions no less. Does it mean he or everyone gained memories of their past lives or was that just symbolism for the happy ending?

The adaptation was rushed. It had the potential to be even loads better than this. I still enjoyed it tho.
Not really fond of sad and bittersweet endings :c
Wanted a full fledged happy ending, but oh well.

7/10
Mar 29, 2017 1:35 PM
Jul 2018
LoomyTheBrew said:
Overall, this was much better than the first season and was far more enjoyable. If they had this type of adaptation in the first season covering Kotori's route only, it would have been fine.

As a VN reader, it was nice seeing a lot of things animated and I obviously understood everything that was going on so I could follow the story. However, as a standalone anime? This was a failure. This thread is proof that people are still confused as fuck, the pacing had some major issues, and it was hard to connect some things you saw in this season because... those things were explained in the other routes that were never adapted. This show really deserved like 50+ episodes.

But as a VN reader, I feel satisfied. Was going to give it a 6, but because of VN bias I'm pushing it up to a 7/10.

PS: The ending was nice but I'm confused how that could happen since I thought Kagari was a little sprout and Kotarou wasn't really what he used to be, but whatever I guess you could say that he retained his original personality (I mean Sakuya did after all) and Kagari kept her human form waiting for that moment. It was a nice ending though.

exleader75 said:

I remember that I was so excited when this adaptation was announced. Now I'm sort of sad to see it end, but I still want a re-adaptation that will probably never happen.

Remembering where I was before it started and now... man, quite the journey haha. I too hope the readaptation (that will never happen) happens one day too.

About the ending thing (which is the P.S you pointed out) I thought the ending was more of leaving to interpretation to the reader... I think the anime kinda was a bit confusing but at the same time I thought it would be the case I was imagining, except for the kiss part. But it was pretty nice anyways. But it was still a nice touch regardless, rather too sweet, but satisfying.
Mar 29, 2017 4:34 PM

Feb 2014
Symphyon said:

About the ending thing (which is the P.S you pointed out) I thought the ending was more of leaving to interpretation to the reader... I think the anime kinda was a bit confusing but at the same time I thought it would be the case I was imagining, except for the kiss part. But it was pretty nice anyways. But it was still a nice touch regardless, rather too sweet, but satisfying.

Ya I thought it was really sweet too. I kind of interpreted it to be what their spirits/their "combined conscious" forms that we saw in Moon, were thinking when they reunited. I didn't really interpret it as what was actually going on in reality, but it could have been. Like you said, it's probably up for interpretation.
Mar 29, 2017 5:41 PM
Jul 2018
LoomyTheBrew said:
Symphyon said:

Ya I thought it was really sweet too. I kind of interpreted it to be what their spirits/their "combined conscious" forms that we saw in Moon, were thinking when they reunited. I didn't really interpret it as what was actually going on in reality, but it could have been. Like you said, it's probably up for interpretation.

Understandable enough, though that way of interpreting the ending doesn't sound bad (from your end), it would make a lot of sense. I think from the series it felt more of a bitter sweet ending note because of what happened, tho not complaining about this ending, as while it was too sweet... well, I already broke at that time before that scene so it helped? xD
Mar 29, 2017 6:30 PM
Aug 2013
LoomyTheBrew said:

In the VN, Moon Kagari really is just a little sprout but that doesn't mean that she can't just go back to her human form, because all the Kagari's are born from those little sprouts, maybe she is hibernating or something, Kotarou and his superpowers could just wake her up, even in the VN there is a CG that shows her smiling back to him in the moon, so she does go back to her human form. And in Rewrite+, Kotarou retained all of his memories of the branch routes, Moon route and Terra route so if they adapt that ending Kotarou still is what he used to be and even more. And even if they adapted the original ending Kotarou still has the "I want to see you again someday" programming that Moon Kagari left him, there is no way he won't recognize her when they meet in the moon.

1032patrick said:
Do you think the timeline like Koutaro and Kotori married and other heroines...Still exists? because the world in that timeline isn't completely destroyed? Kagari just wants a better world for everyone so the terra route.

Well they don't exist at the end of the story, but, they DID exist. That means that there was a time when Kotarou married Kotori, spent all his life with her until old age and died happily. And same with each heroine, and then some time after that each of those worlds ended and Kagari saw that Earth wouldn't be saved there and tried again. Now in Terra, Earth is saved but no one, except Kotarou, remembers that those worlds ever happened.

rinneganfire4u said:
Thanks for answering...
A question I had in mind for quite a while, is Kagari the only Key in Kazamatsuri?? Does she assess the situation only there, and even if rest of the world is peaceful, will she bring ruin due to conflict in certain pockets of the world??

Only one Key at a time is born in all of Earth and she is supposed to travel all around the world before coming back to the place she was born and make her decision.

FinalFlash18 said:
1. He kissed Kagari of the moon and not the earth Kagari at the end, right? (Obvious but still asking to be sure)

2. After Koutarou turns familiar with his memories gone, during the journey to the moon, why did he turned back to his teen form and remembers Kagari? And with emotions no less. Does it mean he or everyone gained memories of their past lives or was that just symbolism for the happy ending?

The adaptation was rushed. It had the potential to be even loads better than this. I still enjoyed it tho.

Yes at the end he kisses Moon Kagari.

His memories are, most probably, not gone. In the VN that scene of him going back to his teens with the girls and walking to the moon is there but all of that is supposed to be symbolic, like "the Occult club days are back" or something. And that kiss scene didn't happen in the VN but I think it would happen later when Kagari goes back to her human form and all, definitely.

And how isn't it a happy ending? Everyone is alive and happy and Kotarou remembers everything and, well people died but nothing's perfect.
Mar 29, 2017 7:24 PM

Feb 2013
Good stuff, still pretty damn confused lol.

7/10
Mar 29, 2017 8:01 PM
Mar 2017
Rodielx said:
LoomyTheBrew said:

In the VN, Moon Kagari really is just a little sprout but that doesn't mean that she can't just go back to her human form, because all the Kagari's are born from those little sprouts, maybe she is hibernating or something, Kotarou and his superpowers could just wake her up, even in the VN there is a CG that shows her smiling back to him in the moon, so she does go back to her human form. And in Rewrite+, Kotarou retained all of his memories of the branch routes, Moon route and Terra route so if they adapt that ending Kotarou still is what he used to be and even more. And even if they adapted the original ending Kotarou still has the "I want to see you again someday" programming that Moon Kagari left him, there is no way he won't recognize her when they meet in the moon.

1032patrick said:

Well they don't exist at the end of the story, but, they DID exist. That means that there was a time when Kotarou married Kotori, spent all his life with her until old age and died happily. And same with each heroine, and then some time after that each of those worlds ended and Kagari saw that Earth wouldn't be saved there and tried again. Now in Terra, Earth is saved but no one, except Kotarou, remembers that those worlds ever happened.

rinneganfire4u said:
Thanks for answering...

Only one Key at a time is born in all of Earth and she is supposed to travel all around the world before coming back to the place she was born and make her decision.

FinalFlash18 said:

His memories are, most probably, not gone. In the VN that scene of him going back to his teens with the girls and walking to the moon is there but all of that is supposed to be symbolic, like "the Occult club days are back" or something. And that kiss scene didn't happen in the VN but I think it would happen later when Kagari goes back to her human form and all, definitely.

And how isn't it a happy ending? Everyone is alive and happy and Kotarou remembers everything and, well people died but nothing's perfect.

Thanks for answering. So all the other heroine's routes are done before terra route? Like Kotori and Kotarou died happily or earth gets destroyed in a few years. So in some routes the end of the world can be prolonged but it will happen. So Kagari will find another way again to save it until moon and terra route.... Correct?
Just wondering after Kotarou died in terra it's like nobody mentioned his name or they just tried hard to forget him and lived with their lives or maybe Kotarou would want that. Based on assumption what would happen if Kotarou returns to earth after kissing Kagari on the moon... Will Kotori and his friends at Guardian recognize him? So Kotarou will live a happy life with the girls and his friends if his memories came back. Harem ending too...
1032patrickMar 29, 2017 8:30 PM
Mar 29, 2017 9:51 PM
Aug 2013
1032patrick said:
Thanks for answering. So all the other heroine's routes are done before terra route? Like Kotori and Kotarou died happily or earth gets destroyed in a few years. So in some routes the end of the world can be prolonged but it will happen. So Kagari will find another way again to save it until moon and terra route.... Correct?
Just wondering after Kotarou died in terra it's like nobody mentioned his name or they just tried hard to forget him and lived with their lives or maybe Kotarou would want that. Based on assumption what would happen if Kotarou returns to earth after kissing Kagari on the moon... Will Kotori and his friends at Guardian recognize him? So Kotarou will live a happy life with the girls and his friends if his memories came back. Harem ending too...

Well yes all the heroine's routes happened before Terra because all those routes were the result of Kagari's research in the Moon route.

And no, Kotarou wasn't forgotten nor did anyone try to forget him, no one had a reason to do that, there just wasn't much dialog after he died anyway.

And what you say about a harem ending is at least possible, that is because even though Kotarou's appearance is mostly different, it's possible that with time Kotori and Akane that saw him many times would recognize him (the author himself said this is a possibility), his friends at Guardian probably with time would recognize him too. But in the end we don't know what will happen because the story ends there xD. After the end of the story the readers can just assume what will happen based on the possibilities, so you can just assume that after that, given some time, everyone will recognize him and maybe the heroines will remember their pre-Terra memories and Kotarou will naturally have his harem xD
Mar 29, 2017 10:46 PM
Mar 2017
Rodielx said:
1032patrick said:

Well yes all the heroine's routes happened before Terra because all those routes were the result of Kagari's research in the Moon route.

And no, Kotarou wasn't forgotten nor did anyone try to forget him, no one had a reason to do that, there just wasn't much dialog after he died anyway.

And what you say about a harem ending is at least possible, that is because even though Kotarou's appearance is mostly different, it's possible that with time Kotori and Akane that saw him many times would recognize him (the author himself said this is a possibility), his friends at Guardian probably with time would recognize him too. But in the end we don't know what will happen because the story ends there xD. After the end of the story the readers can just assume what will happen based on the possibilities, so you can just assume that after that, given some time, everyone will recognize him and maybe the heroines will remember their pre-Terra memories and Kotarou will naturally have his harem xD
Thanks for the good explanation..I was wondering if moon Kagari knew about Kotarou why kill him many times?
What is important they could live their lives happily together with Kotarou. I guess Kotarou regained his memories and he won't act like the familiar butler right or not? So that he could interact better..This was the best ending for this anime. Thank you
1032patrickMar 29, 2017 11:22 PM
Mar 30, 2017 3:44 AM

Sep 2011
1032patrick said:
.I was wondering if moon Kagari knew about Kotarou why kill him many times?

Because she sees him as a threat at first. That's why Kotarou is trying hard to have a communication with her to prove that he's not a threat.

Mar 30, 2017 6:00 AM

Dec 2012
Kitsu-nee said:
I can't say I got half as emotional as whhen I was reading the vn, but it was alright. The last scene on its own makes this series worth watching :3 I have to say, I was quite surprised. I mean, I expected R+ ending, but even then the last CG was this:

What can I say, kiss was TEN TIMES more satisfying. And Kotarou looks a lot better with longer hair, instead of black ones!

Sorry gals, no Kotarou for you!

I'm gonna go with 7/10 after all, I have some fun with it, although poor pace and flawed, cheap animation definitely destroyed some of my enjoyment. Too bad! If someone still hasn't played the vn version - go for it!

Honestly, that kiss ending is my biggest complaint. That last CG was genius, adding one final symbol of hope to what was a rather sad and bittersweet finale. I mean, doesn't that represent what the story was all about? A young sprout on the moon represents the hope and potential for life beyond Earth. Now it's just turned completely into a love story about Kotarou and Kagari, with the existential and humanitarian themes taking a back-seat. I suspected that this was how Rewrite would be adapted anyway, but it still upsets me to see it done like this. It's written by Romeo Tanaka, the same guy who wrote Cross Channel - there's a lot behind it.
Mar 30, 2017 6:04 AM
Mar 2017
Is it only the girls who can summon Kotarou from the tree after few years?
Mar 30, 2017 7:25 AM

May 2012
Way worse than 1st season. I did not even know what is going on
Mar 30, 2017 7:47 AM
Aug 2013
TakeMeInYourArmy said:
Honestly, that kiss ending is my biggest complaint. That last CG was genius, adding one final symbol of hope to what was a rather sad and bittersweet finale. I mean, doesn't that represent what the story was all about? A young sprout on the moon represents the hope and potential for life beyond Earth. Now it's just turned completely into a love story about Kotarou and Kagari, with the existential and humanitarian themes taking a back-seat. I suspected that this was how Rewrite would be adapted anyway, but it still upsets me to see it done like this. It's written by Romeo Tanaka, the same guy who wrote Cross Channel - there's a lot behind it.

That young sprout on the moon is just Kagari and nothing else, why would it represent potential life beyond Earth? They can't go to the moon, there is no life energy there for them, they have to go beyond the solar system. There certainly is much more meaning in all of Rewrite than what the anime shows at all, but all of it is told mainly in all of the branch routes like Lucia's route or Akane's route. If 8bit did a shitty introduction of the world in Season 1 and then just did Moon and Terra in Season 2, Moon and Terra being almost completely just about Kotarou's and Kagari's special relationship and then saving Earth using the futile struggles of a young man in love, then obviously all of Rewrite's adaptation would have a romantic theme. If there are no branch routes, then people can't realize the hidden meaning they found in Moon and Terra as they aren't as clear there.

1032patrick said:

Probably someone else could but I think the reason the summoning process goes so well is because of the connection the girls already had to Kotarou, so even if someone else could, no one would do it as easily and naturally as them.
Mar 30, 2017 8:01 AM

Mar 2009
I guess I understand the main story now, thanks to all the VN readers' posts here. However, it just feels like there was something missing in the adaptation. The big emotional moments in the anime didn't have the effect on me that it probably should have had. And for a large part of my time with the anime, I was mostly just confused. I really liked all the characters, though, and the ending was quite nice. MUCH better than the first season, for sure.

I probably should have read the Rewrite VN from the get go. I remember switching from the Umineko anime to the VN right after the first couple of episodes and my experience was so much better that way. Obviously would have been the same with Rewrite. Oh, well. Too late now.
Mar 30, 2017 8:31 AM

Dec 2012
Rodielx said:
TakeMeInYourArmy said:

That young sprout on the moon is just Kagari and nothing else, why would it represent potential life beyond Earth? They can't go to the moon, there is no life energy there for them, they have to go beyond the solar system. There certainly is much more meaning in all of Rewrite than what the anime shows at all, but all of it is told mainly in all of the branch routes like Lucia's route or Akane's route. If 8bit did a shitty introduction of the world in Season 1 and then just did Moon and Terra in Season 2, Moon and Terra being almost completely just about Kotarou's and Kagari's special relationship and then saving Earth using the futile struggles of a young man in love, then obviously all of Rewrite's adaptation would have a romantic theme. If there are no branch routes, then people can't realize the hidden meaning they found in Moon and Terra as they aren't as clear there.

1032patrick said:

Probably someone else could but I think the reason the summoning process goes so well is because of the connection the girls already had to Kotarou, so even if someone else could, no one would do it as easily and naturally as them.

Yes, in literal terms the sprout is Kagari, but things can have multiple meanings. You mean to tell me the image of a sprout on the moon in a story all about securing the future of humanity by expanding beyond their mother planet doesn't have another meaning? The whole point of Kotarou becoming a familiar is to help humanity traverse beyond the stars. With just the girls, they can go to the moon, but if all of humanity forms a contract with him, they could potentially travel out to a new planet, and even more after that. They use Kotarou's power to travel to the moon where they find a young sprout (obviously Kagari), but if they wanted it to only mean Kagari, they would just show Kagari. However, they instead chose to use a sprout on the moon. To deny any sort of meaning behind that is absurd.
Mar 30, 2017 8:34 AM
Mar 2017
I really hope that Kotarou got his memory back after meeting Moon Kagari so that he would be comfortable to build new relationships with the girls. I am happy for Kotarou because with all the sacrifices and bad things that happened to him, he remained strong. He deserved this happy ending with Kagari and the girls.
Mar 30, 2017 10:06 AM

Mar 2013
Rodielx said:

FinalFlash18 said:

I don't think he remembers everything tho. Nor he showed any implication when reincarnated as a familiar.
It was bittersweet ending to me. Wanted a full fledged happy ending.
Mar 30, 2017 4:11 PM
Mar 2017
I've just finished watching the end and I'm just trying to get my head round it all. The salvation happens at the end of season 1 and they both end up in the giant tree and everyone is dead. Is season 2 a new version of the world with a new version of Kotarou trying to find a another way of saving it? Or is it the same world that fell, only with kotarou starting further in the past because all his friends are little kids and he's a lot older?

I realize that this question probably sounds incredibly n00by, Please forgive me.
Mar 30, 2017 5:54 PM
Aug 2013
FinalFlash18 said:
I don't think he remembers everything tho. Nor he showed any implication when reincarnated as a familiar.

Well of course I can't assure you that he remembers everything because he doesn't say so explicitly in the anime, but take this into consideration, in the Rewrite+ version of the VN, he did remember literally everything from the branch routes to Moon and Terra, but he didn't say so out loud he just describes the life he had with each of the heroines in each of their routes with an inner monologue. Now here in the anime if we could read his mind what we probably would have heard is "I remember everything, but I'll keep it a secret", that is if this is a Rewrite+ adaptation, which judging by Sakuya's absence and Kotarou remembering his promise, it most likely is. There is enough proof to say this is the happy ending that happened in Rewrite+, but if you want to believe the less likely possibility of him not remembering anything then you're free to do so =D.

LazyGeneration said:
I've just finished watching the end and I'm just trying to get my head round it all. The salvation happens at the end of season 1 and they both end up in the giant tree and everyone is dead. Is season 2 a new version of the world with a new version of Kotarou trying to find a another way of saving it? Or is it the same world that fell, only with kotarou starting further in the past because all his friends are little kids and he's a lot older?

I realize that this question probably sounds incredibly n00by, Please forgive me.

Season 2 begins with the Moon route in which we see that there are many possible worlds, including Season 1's, that end up with humanity's demise. Moon Kagari is trying to find a possible world in which humanity survives, with Kotatou's help she finds it and implements it, she sends all the life energy to Earth for that.
Then Terra happens, which is just the possible world in which humanity survives, which includes Kotarou not falling into a coma because he doesn't try to attack Kagari when he finds her and has inexplicable feelings for her, all of that helps him save humanity in the end.
Mar 30, 2017 6:28 PM
Aug 2013
TakeMeInYourArmy said:
Yes, in literal terms the sprout is Kagari, but things can have multiple meanings. You mean to tell me the image of a sprout on the moon in a story all about securing the future of humanity by expanding beyond their mother planet doesn't have another meaning? The whole point of Kotarou becoming a familiar is to help humanity traverse beyond the stars. With just the girls, they can go to the moon, but if all of humanity forms a contract with him, they could potentially travel out to a new planet, and even more after that. They use Kotarou's power to travel to the moon where they find a young sprout (obviously Kagari), but if they wanted it to only mean Kagari, they would just show Kagari. However, they instead chose to use a sprout on the moon. To deny any sort of meaning behind that is absurd.

Well everyone has different opinions about everything, it just seems a little illogical to me that a little sprout on the moon, which hasn't and will never give birth to any other life than Kagari, is supposed to represent humanity's expansion beyond their mother planet, they must look for a planet already full of life and not something like the moon because every planet has mostly limited life energy so the moon is just impossible. If we talk about real life and then for some reason we find a sprout on the moon then of course we're suddenly able to quickly terraform the moon and any other dead rock so yeah that sprout would be humanity's proof that we can expand right now. But with Rewrite's logic it isn't possible so, for me, it wouldn't represent that. That meaning was explicitly told in the last hour of the VN with Kagari's interest in space and Kotarou's interstellar travel abilities, it doesn't need another CG's vaguely hidden meaning. Now there is a little simpler meaning that would be more logical in my opinion, in Rewrite promotional videos and images there is a really repeated phrase, "Can the girl's fate be rewritten?", I think it translated something like that, that is the first thing any japanese person buying the VN would see, and then at the end of the game, against all odds, we see a lonely, little sprout surrounded by the main characters while another version of Kagari's theme sounds, the meaning of the last CG of the game is the answer to its first question, "Yes, the girl's fate to be alone forever can be rewritten". But that's just my opinion probably biased for being a Kagari fan xD Maybe I'm just too dumb to see the bigger picture or something. Hope my english didn't screw up somewhere too.
Mar 30, 2017 7:27 PM
Jul 2016
Rodielx said:
TakeMeInYourArmy said:

Well everyone has different opinions about everything, it just seems a little illogical to me that a little sprout on the moon, which hasn't and will never give birth to any other life than Kagari, is supposed to represent humanity's expansion beyond their mother planet, they must look for a planet already full of life and not something like the moon because every planet has mostly limited life energy so the moon is just impossible. If we talk about real life and then for some reason we find a sprout on the moon then of course we're suddenly able to quickly terraform the moon and any other dead rock so yeah that sprout would be humanity's proof that we can expand right now. But with Rewrite's logic it isn't possible so, for me, it wouldn't represent that. That meaning was explicitly told in the last hour of the VN with Kagari's interest in space and Kotarou's interstellar travel abilities, it doesn't need another CG's vaguely hidden meaning. Now there is a little simpler meaning that would be more logical in my opinion, in Rewrite promotional videos and images there is a really repeated phrase, "Can the girl's fate be rewritten?", I think it translated something like that, that is the first thing any japanese person buying the VN would see, and then at the end of the game, against all odds, we see a lonely, little sprout surrounded by the main characters while another version of Kagari's theme sounds, the meaning of the last CG of the game is the answer to its first question, "Yes, the girl's fate to be alone forever can be rewritten". But that's just my opinion probably biased for being a Kagari fan xD Maybe I'm just too dumb to see the bigger picture or something. Hope my english didn't screw up somewhere too.

I also think like you.

I always believed that the ending represented that Kotarou was able to change Kagari's fate.

Every thing that Kotarou did starting from the ending of Moon was finding a way to not let Kagari be alone on the Moon.

Also, it was implied that the only living thing that could grow on the Moon was Kagari.
Mar 30, 2017 8:09 PM

Oct 2008
That was a nice happy ending! total opposite of the last episode of Season 1...lolz
4/5.
7/10.

Mar 31, 2017 4:31 AM
Jul 2009
JanusVonMaria said:
Rodielx said:

I also think like you.

I always believed that the ending represented that Kotarou was able to change Kagari's fate.

Every thing that Kotarou did starting from the ending of Moon was finding a way to not let Kagari be alone on the Moon.

Also, it was implied that the only living thing that could grow on the Moon was Kagari.

You guys are forgetting the properties of Aurora. Aurora guides the creation of life. The odds of life coming into existence on it's own, but when aurora reaches a planet that it has never reached before, a bunch of new aurora is created and life springs into existence almost immediately. Yes, this is is completely illogical and miraculous. It is Dues Ex Machina, intentionally so, as in the world of Rewrite Aurora fulfills the role of God. That's why it is said that Aurora is a miracle.
BTW this information is from the encyclopedia entries that unlock in the VN after you complete the Terra Route, though I'm going from memory, so it might be a little off. These ideas were certainly in the anime... having a scant handful of easily forgettable rapid fire lines devoted to them.

The problem is that each planet can only produce a finite amount of Aurora. And the Earth used up enough of it through countless Rewrites/Salvations that it doesn't have enough to successfully complete another one.

So what happens when the reach the moon? The Aurora inside Kotarou spreads into the moon and creates new life and new Aurora. So yes, Life will grow on the moon. But it's a given that the moon is small, so it's not like humanity could life there permanently. It just grants them a reprieve and some much needed resources now that they have the almighty space tree to shepard them out into the rest of the universe. Perhaps to that new planet they mentioned on the news. Or maybe some other planet shaped like a boob. There are now endless possibilities, though screwing up again will always be in the cards.

New Topic: Thoughts on the Adaption

IMO they should have done first cour for common route, ending after the chaos caused by the Wind Dragon as a cliff hanger. Second cour would then be Kotori Route and Moon. (Kotori route because she is a large part of Terra. Not that Akane isn't, but Akane route should under no circumstances be the first route anyone sees.) If the adaptation didn't sell well, Moon actually isn't bad place to end. It has a nice climactic final battle, which wold have been a lot better given the proper time, then ends on a note of hope and possibility. A great sequel hook that still offers closure. Then based on sales they could do a whole 3rd cour for Terra, or not. Either way, I think this would have done a better job of advertising Rewrite+ and getting people to buy it. Because let's face it, that's the real reason this anime exists, being made on such a small budget as it was.

Then assuming the anime ended up massively popular because they didn't rush it to death, they could do a 2 part movie series covering Lucia Route, mainly because its self contained nature and action scenes in that lend themselves best to a movie, IMO.

While I personally don't really mind that they went with a new Kagari route, IMO, it only really has value to people who played the VN and understand it's just one of many ridiculous possibilities resulting from Moon Kagari's desperation while working on her theory. IMO that's the significance of the Meteor bonking scene in season one. "Hey, what happens if I bonk Earth Kagari, thus erasing her memory and changing her personality? Worth a shot, lets try it.... Nope. Next."
XerainMar 31, 2017 4:41 AM
Mar 31, 2017 8:28 AM

Apr 2014
Well, this is certainly better than the first season.
And I guess, this is just good enough for me.
Anyway, I'll rate this a 7 out of 10 score overall.
Haters always gonna hate.
Mar 31, 2017 11:19 AM

Mar 2013
Rodielx said:
FinalFlash18 said:

Well of course I can't assure you that he remembers everything because he doesn't say so explicitly in the anime, but take this into consideration, in the Rewrite+ version of the VN, he did remember literally everything from the branch routes to Moon and Terra, but he didn't say so out loud he just describes the life he had with each of the heroines in each of their routes with an inner monologue. Now here in the anime if we could read his mind what we probably would have heard is "I remember everything, but I'll keep it a secret", that is if this is a Rewrite+ adaptation, which judging by Sakuya's absence and Kotarou remembering his promise, it most likely is. There is enough proof to say this is the happy ending that happened in Rewrite+, but if you want to believe the less likely possibility of him not remembering anything then you're free to do so =D.

Not at all haha. I gravitate more towards the happy endings. And even if there's slightest of hint that implies those, I feel content. Like how I loved when Shirou reunites with Saber at the end of his journey in FSN VN <3
So yeah, thanks.
Also one more thing. What is this Harvest Festa I hear about? Does it take after Rewrite's ending? And how the heroine routes differ from their individual routes from main VN?
Mar 31, 2017 11:22 AM
Jul 2018
FinalFlash18 said:
Rodielx said:

Not at all haha. I gravitate more towards the happy endings. And even if there's slightest of hint that implies those, I feel content. Like how I loved when Shirou reunites with Saber at the end of his journey in FSN VN <3
So yeah, thanks.
Also one more thing. What is this Harvest Festa I hear about? Does it take after Rewrite's ending? And how the heroine routes differ from their individual routes from main VN?

Harvest Festa is more like a more romance/interactive version of the original. Some of the routes are continuations of the original (Kotori as an example because the ending of the original was just... open, there's no answers as to what happened with everything in that ending) while some are more romance focused (Lucia's Route as another example). I think there are like more so mini-games to say the least from what I got in some vids.
Mar 31, 2017 11:25 AM

Mar 2013
Symphyon said:
FinalFlash18 said:

So yeah, thanks.

Harvest Festa is more like a more romance/interactive version of the original. Some of the routes are continuations of the original (Kotori as an example because the ending of the original was just... open, there's no answers as to what happened with everything in that ending) while some are more romance focused (Lucia's Route as another example). I think there are like more so mini-games to say the least from what I got in some vids.

I see. So just an alternate light hearted game for fun. Thanks.
Mar 31, 2017 12:18 PM
Mar 2012
Aww nice reunion kiss, pretty good end to a mediocre series.
Somewhat better than s1 +1, tho each had different issues. Anime's strongest point was comedy among the fun characters, which had more in s1. S2 had feisty funny Kotori helped a lot, but unfortunately the other club members became lolis with little screentime. Kagari personality also vastly different in s2. I liked Kotori's "sell-fish" joke and driver talk, top quality.
Complex messy plot but I got most of it. Military, Jasmine, double agent Bondo & plot clarifying quite improved s2. Interesting how Kotarou turned monster at start of s1, vs at the end for s2.

Questions/confusion:
1) All monsters turned to gold orbs. Why? This also means Kotarou killing Kotori's parents was unnecessary?
2) When Dragonball fight jumped to Sakura scene. What happened? Why choir died (along with monsters)?
3) Mc kills Kagari. Felt nothing since was confused why she must die. An early timeline Shizuru snipes Kagari dead in a farmland, then the world still reset. I guess the difference is earth used too much resource at the end, and another world reset became impossible? And somehow the choir makes Kagari destroy the world, so the only fix is kill her?
Mar 31, 2017 2:00 PM
Aug 2013
gophercg said:
Somewhat better than s1 +1, tho each had different issues. Anime's strongest point was comedy among the fun characters, which had more in s1. S2 had feisty funny Kotori helped a lot, but unfortunately the other club members became lolis with little screentime. Kagari personality also vastly different in s2. I liked Kotori's "sell-fish" joke and driver talk, top quality.
Complex messy plot but I got most of it. Military, Jasmine, double agent Bondo & plot clarifying quite improved s2. Interesting how Kotarou turned monster at start of s1, vs at the end for s2.

Questions/confusion:
1) All monsters turned to gold orbs. Why? This also means Kotarou killing Kotori's parents was unnecessary?
2) When Dragonball fight jumped to Sakura scene. What happened? Why choir died (along with monsters)?
3) Mc kills Kagari. Felt nothing since was confused why she must die. An early timeline Shizuru snipes Kagari dead in a farmland, then the world still reset. I guess the difference is earth used too much resource at the end, and another world reset became impossible? And somehow the choir makes Kagari destroy the world, so the only fix is kill her?

Gold orbs? They're supposed to just turn to dust. And of course he had to "kill" her parents, they were basically zombies sucking out Kotori's life energy while she was obsessed believing they would come back to life.

You mean the fight against the Earth dragon? Kotarou killed the Earth dragon and made it to the top to stop the song, that song is supposed to affect Kagari so that she makes the decision faster against her will, and of course to do something like that they have to use their lives while singing that song. They were giving up their lives so that salvation happened as fast as it could.

I wish to express my deepest condolences to all those anime-onlies that didn't feel anything in this scene, I will curse 8Shit for you all forever. Kagari must die because she has already begun the re-evolution process, salvation, and the world would end. By killing her the world can live on and survive as with Kotarou's actions everyone will use their lives to survive and Kotarou himself will become a monster and get them all outta there. In the Kotori route timeline nothing has been done so that the world would survive, even if they avoid salvation, a few decades or centuries later another Kagari would be born and try to do salvation again, or the world would use its resources completely and humanity would die.
Mar 31, 2017 2:15 PM
Jul 2018
FinalFlash18 said:
Symphyon said:

I see. So just an alternate light hearted game for fun. Thanks.

I wouldn't say light but when I think about it it would fit. I think it's still worth to get it sometime since if you want for example to get the VN then for some bits routes you would go to Festa. Although from what I saw from the mechanics of that VN it seems pretty entertaining.
Mar 31, 2017 5:37 PM
Aug 2013
Xerain said:
You guys are forgetting the properties of Aurora. Aurora guides the creation of life. The odds of life coming into existence on it's own, but when aurora reaches a planet that it has never reached before, a bunch of new aurora is created and life springs into existence almost immediately. Yes, this is is completely illogical and miraculous. It is Dues Ex Machina, intentionally so, as in the world of Rewrite Aurora fulfills the role of God. That's why it is said that Aurora is a miracle.
BTW this information is from the encyclopedia entries that unlock in the VN after you complete the Terra Route, though I'm going from memory, so it might be a little off. These ideas were certainly in the anime... having a scant handful of easily forgettable rapid fire lines devoted to them.

The problem is that each planet can only produce a finite amount of Aurora. And the Earth used up enough of it through countless Rewrites/Salvations that it doesn't have enough to successfully complete another one.

So what happens when the reach the moon? The Aurora inside Kotarou spreads into the moon and creates new life and new Aurora. So yes, Life will grow on the moon. But it's a given that the moon is small, so it's not like humanity could life there permanently. It just grants them a reprieve and some much needed resources now that they have the almighty space tree to shepard them out into the rest of the universe. Perhaps to that new planet they mentioned on the news. Or maybe some other planet shaped like a boob. There are now endless possibilities, though screwing up again will always be in the cards.

Yes you're right, I read the entries again and in the Terra Kagari entry they mention that Aurora likes to tie itself to physical substances, even more those that never have been touched by Aurora before. So according to that entry, life came to Earth as Aurora in a meteorite and created life, but, not instantly at all, even though Aurora spreads rapidly what it can do is fill the planet with raw material that will certainly allow life to exist and then the process in which the planet develops its atmosphere and life its the same as in reality, which means it lasts hundreds of millions of years. So yeah Aurora can certainly be brought to the Moon and develop life in there, I was wrong saying it would never have life, because it even had life when the garden civilization formed in which the branch routes and Moon have place, but after Terra they won't have the millions of years that would take for the moon to have life again, they must look for another planet already full of Aurora and developing. But in the end really all of the theory about Aurora, how it behaves, how it creates life, etc. has too many unknowns because every time Kotarou is trying to comprehend it his brain gets fried. Probably even if we talked with Romeo in some kinda Rewrite conference, he himself would be unsure of many things regarding those more complex concepts in his story.
Mar 31, 2017 6:18 PM
Mar 2012
Rodielx said:
gophercg said:

Questions/confusion:

Gold orbs? They're supposed to just turn to dust. And of course he had to "kill" her parents, they were basically zombies sucking out Kotori's life energy while she was obsessed believing they would come back to life.

You mean the fight against the Earth dragon? Kotarou killed the Earth dragon and made it to the top to stop the song, that song is supposed to affect Kagari so that she makes the decision faster against her will, and of course to do something like that they have to use their lives while singing that song. They were giving up their lives so that salvation happened as fast as it could.

I wish to express my deepest condolences to all those anime-onlies that didn't feel anything in this scene, I will curse 8Shit for you all forever. Kagari must die because she has already begun the re-evolution process, salvation, and the world would end. By killing her the world can live on and survive as with Kotarou's actions everyone will use their lives to survive and Kotarou himself will become a monster and get them all outta there. In the Kotori route timeline nothing has been done so that the world would survive, even if they avoid salvation, a few decades or centuries later another Kagari would be born and try to do salvation again, or the world would use its resources completely and humanity would die.

Thanks, I forgot the life drain. It didn't seem urgent (he never hinted corpses drain life energy fast, besides his moral argument) since he didn't kill those 3 mammoths.
Ic, so the choir also sings out via life force. They could've at least shown singers dropping down while singing, or show Kotarou beating them, which wasn't clear which happened, especially with his question to Sakura (that what he did was all pointless).
Ah so Kagari's "too late" means the restart is happening already, makes sense then.
Mar 31, 2017 7:01 PM

Jan 2015
gophercg said:
Rodielx said:

Thanks, I forgot the life drain. It didn't seem urgent (he never hinted corpses drain life energy fast, besides his moral argument) since he didn't kill those 3 mammoths.
Ic, so the choir also sings out via life force. They could've at least shown singers dropping down while singing, or show Kotarou beating them, which wasn't clear which happened, especially with his question to Sakura (that what he did was all pointless).
Ah so Kagari's "too late" means the restart is happening already, makes sense then.

As a druid, Kotori can make familiars/mamono/monster contract with the Powerspot (image), Idk if you remember but in S1 Kotori own like a "mini monster army" (tree shaped monsters some ones were giant monsters), and obviously they could not be sucking her life or Kotori would die (it was told in the VN). Episode 10 S2 Kotori say she can only control 1 of those 3 "mammoths", it's Chibimoth (the pink one), her dog pero.
Arikado-Mar 31, 2017 7:19 PM
Mar 31, 2017 11:47 PM
Aug 2013
Arikado- said:
As a druid, Kotori can make familiars/mamono/monster contract with the Powerspot (image), Idk if you remember but in S1 Kotori own like a "mini monster army" (tree shaped monsters some ones were giant monsters), and obviously they could not be sucking her life or Kotori would die (it was told in the VN). Episode 10 S2 Kotori say she can only control 1 of those 3 "mammoths", it's Chibimoth (the pink one), her dog pero.

In Terra she still doesn't know how to use the power spot to supply her familiars with energy, in the VN when Kotarou asks her how much time can she move both her parents she says that after a while she faints, then Kotarou tells her that they're moving with Kotori's own life and Kotori seems surprised. She doesn't have that many familiars yet and focuses mainly in maintaining the barrier so she doesn't use much energy and would probably learn to use the power spot later when she needs it, but of course this is Terra so she just quits after Kotarou's savage act.
Apr 1, 2017 6:49 AM

Jan 2015
Rodielx said:
Arikado- said:

In Terra she still doesn't know how to use the power spot to supply her familiars with energy, in the VN when Kotarou asks her how much time can she move both her parents she says that after a while she faints, then Kotarou tells her that they're moving with Kotori's own life and Kotori seems surprised. She doesn't have that many familiars yet and focuses mainly in maintaining the barrier so she doesn't use much energy and would probably learn to use the power spot later when she needs it, but of course this is Terra so she just quits after Kotarou's savage act.

@gophercg asked why Kotarou didn't kill all those 3 mammoths, if you are saying that Kotori in terra didn't use the powerspot (I don't remember) then I have no explanation, what you say? A plot hole? Kotarou need them or they use an insignificant amount of life?
Apr 1, 2017 7:30 AM

Apr 2015
You're still here? It's over. Go home. Go.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rewrite 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2017

182 by White_Alice »»
Dec 16, 2023 2:13 PM

Poll: » Rewrite 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2017

115 by phantomic109 »»
Jun 19, 2023 12:51 PM

Poll: » Rewrite 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2017

110 by ka7eMARU »»
Nov 5, 2022 6:10 PM

Poll: » Rewrite 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2017

154 by ka7eMARU »»
Nov 5, 2022 5:45 PM

Poll: » Rewrite 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2017

95 by Ashhk »»
Sep 1, 2021 5:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.