Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 10, 2017 11:23 PM

May 2012
When I first watched FLCL years ago I noticed Mamimi's cigarette with "Never Knows Best" written on it. At the time I thought of it as a symbol of defiance. A subtle yet clear way of communicating that she won't be told how to live.

That explanation seems simple enough, and at the time I thought radical in its own respect. However, I was philosophizing about it more this evening, and wondered.. "What if part of the cigarette were smoked? What would it read then?"

Obviously, "Never" is the first word to be smoked away from the cigarette. Which would leave the statement "Knows Best" on the cigarette. This realization whether obvious or not had my head spinning.

If I thought Mamimi was defiant before, then now she would be ten fold! Not only would she not be told how to live, but she would also have the last laugh with one degenerate puff of her cigarette.

Radical indeed! So, am I insane for thinking this, and what are your FLCL theories? A rewatch is calling my name.
BayrockFeb 10, 2017 11:33 PM
Jun 29, 2019 8:15 PM
Apr 2017
YEAH !! THAT WAS !! I'm 27, being in this state is pretty hard... but ___ NEVER KNOWS BEST ? :)
Jul 16, 2019 6:12 AM

Oct 2010
I never understood mamimi and the never knows best stuff. She looks like a sad girl who parted ways with her bf and a pyro. Not that I dislike her, hell, I even wrote on o cig never knows best. She's a hard girl to understand.
Jul 16, 2019 9:30 AM

May 2012
Catalano said:
I never understood mamimi and the never knows best stuff. She looks like a sad girl who parted ways with her bf and a pyro. Not that I dislike her, hell, I even wrote on o cig never knows best. She's a hard girl to understand.

This topic may be old, but it doesn't change the validity of your reply.
Jul 16, 2019 11:24 AM

Oct 2010
Well op, if we're here, why not give my approximate theory regarding Mamimi:
She is a wild girl, we know that, her bf was the high school baseball hero, he went to the states and left her alone, maybe he was the only one who could've "kept her quiet", maybe she was so dependent on he that after losing him she started to behave wilder and more defiant (smoking, burning, skipping school, making moves on Naota etc).
So, where is "never knows best"? maybe her attitude not to change for the girl who was when she was with Naota's bro, the wording sounds kinda weird in english.
So yeah, Mamimi is cool.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

babykeiji - Mar 5, 2008

242 by Devonnius »»
May 12, 9:54 PM

» I don't understand the hype, should I rewatch? ( 1 2 )

C4llum - Aug 8, 2021

79 by ghoulcustomer »»
May 11, 7:15 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Mar 7, 2008

284 by Thurzix »»
Apr 29, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Sep 22, 2008

113 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 25, 10:01 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Sep 22, 2008

125 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 25, 9:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.