Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 8, 2017 6:52 PM
Sep 2016
*My intro starts here*. Ending explanation starts below but I suggest you read the intro.
So I'm new to oreimo I watched the whole series plus the ova's I was really emotionally impacted with the way it ended because I was hoping it to be a great ending with Kirino and Kyosuke leaving the show as lovers in a forbidden relationship. since the first season I knew/hoped they would get together which they did in a fantastic 2 season long wait and which they displayed there relationship growing and all the comedy and drama with all the characters. it was just amazing the plot line the characterization with each character having there own unique purpose and personality basicly everything was great until they hit us with that ending where they leave a bad taste in your mouth where nobody wins not even the people who didn't support there love. And I know people are going to say but there brother and sister and that there love is disgusting and I understand where there coming from but you have to understand the story and the emotions everything the writer is displaying and take it in. For me I'm a passionate open minded individual who is a sucker for romance and seeing a brother and sister fall in love is a little hard to embrace I understand but knowing that the two will live a loving life of happiness that is all that matters and which is why I don't unapprove of their relationship. The ending was so bad in my opinion that I just couldn't live with myself knowing all that was just going to end with them breaking up which is why I did my research and read many sources and articles even the 12 Japanese LN that I had to translate to come to the conclusion that what they showed at the end has a secret ending/message to it that not many will know so let the explanation begin.

*Ending Explanation Starts here*
Remember when Kirino made a bet with Kyousuke. If Kyousuke fails the mock exams, Kyousuke will be Kirino's slave for life and do as she please. And if Kyousuke wins, he would get '1 wish' from Kirino. And Kyousuke won the bet.
So fast forward, towards the ending of OreImo, where Kyousuke and Kirino arrived in Akibira, to meet with the 'Otaku Girls Unite'. Kyousuke tells Kirino that he still has that '1 time wish' and now knows what to use it for. So he ask her to come closer, with the gesture of his hand, and as soon as she came close, Kyousuke kissed her in the cheek or the lips as for the Light Novel(doesn't really matter on what I'm going to talk about).
At that moment, when Kyousuke said that he found out "what to use his '1 time wish' for". He thought of using that '1 time wish' to break the 'promise' they made, about only 'dating until graduation'. So when Kyousuke kissed Kirino, I believe he didn't just use up his '1 time wish' just to kiss Kirino, but Kyousuke instead, intended to used his '1 time wish' to break the 'promise'(of them not dating until graduation). Because after the 'dating until graduation' ends, they aren't allowed to to kiss, hold hands, hug, date, and the like, towards each other. So when Kyousuke kissed Kirino, he intended to break that 'promise' with the '1 time wish', that he won from a bet with Kirino.
So when Kyousuke kissed Kirino, he simply stated(showed/implied) to Kirino, that he used his '1 time wish' to break the 'promise' that they made, of them only 'dating until graduation'. So that they can continue to be together as lovers. Kirino probably got the message and idea of the '1 time wish' being used to break the 'promise'. She probably, earlier on, expected him to break the 'promise' they agreed on. Just like when she was suppose to go abroad (again), she told Kyousuke that she thought that Kyousuke would use the '1 time wish' to let her stay instead of going, but she chose to stay anyways. After Kyousuke confessed his feelings for Kirino.
Also, back to the ending of OreImo. At the part of Kyousuke kissing Kirino, Kirino pushes away Kyousuke and said they will have 'Life Counseling'. So, Kyousuke and Kirino lives continue as lovers than just being as normal siblings(which the publishers were trying to go for), but in secret, even towards their own audience. I realized that nobody actually thought about this or knew about it(from what I know). Most people think the kiss is just trivial matter, but in fact its a strong hidden meaning(placed by the author). Because why in the world would Kyousuke just waste a '1 time wish', that he would probably never have again, just to kiss Kirino?(I think not.) So their love life continues on, ready to face the challenge that is set before(ahead/in-front of) them. If Season 3 was a thing, it would probably tackle the subject of them trying to find a way of them living a life as lovers when they are siblings, but thanks to the publishers(not really their fault, they are just complying with their government and etc), that won't be happening anytime soon or at all.
Also, after Kyousuke and Kirino kissed, back at the church when Kirino gave back the ring, Kirino didn't look worried or sad and just wore a happy normal face, probably because she knew that Kyousuke is going to use his '1 time wish' to break the 'promise' they made.)

I would like to share this to all of you guys and girls, too. To help some of you feel better about the ending of OreImo. Where I also was a little hurt.

Just my comment:
I have watched the ending of OreImo's anime again to make sure I didn't misinterpreted anything(of the scene I talked about above) and I didn't get the ending wrong. I also felt a small bitterness inside me when I watched the ending again. I just really wish OreImo's story can continue and end more appropriately. Just having it end like that, makes me feel like I can no long live on and look forward to in life.

Yea, yea. You can tell that I'm on the Kirino boat/side, but I would like to also call myself being on kyosuke side as well. This show was so great that I can almost relate it to my very first anime and my favorite Angel Beats which also got me really emotional. I'm an emotional guy :)
White_KotoriJan 14, 2019 7:17 AM
Jan 8, 2017 7:57 PM
Oct 2012

Don't let censorship mislead you. The ending was perfectly explained.

Kuroneko set this up. Kirino and Kyousuke ended up together, and both of them lived with Kuroneko as equal partners (and with Kuroneko being the beard). Since Kuroneko loved Kirino as much as she loved Kyousuke, this didn't bother her.

The anime making Kirino the tsundere softened this, but for Kuroneko Kirino was her true spiritual soul mate - the only person she truly respected as an artistic peer, this is why she didn't mind sharing Kyousuke with her.

The anime touched on this briefly, the two main points was when Kuroneko, on checking her blog, realized that only Kirino actually read her poetry, and when, after the onsen scene, Kirino echoed Kuroneko's "mad city" rhetoric. This view was cemented by the Kuroneko's picture of the three of them eating breakfast together.
Aug 3, 2017 1:59 AM
Jun 2017
OpTic_Layers said:
*My intro starts here*. Ending explanation starts below but I suggest you read the intro.
So I'm new to oreimo I watched the whole series plus the ova's I was really emotionally impacted with the way it ended because I was hoping it to be a great ending with Kirino and Kyosuke leaving the show as lovers in a forbidden relationship. since the first season I knew/hoped they would get together which they did in a fantastic 2 season long wait and which they displayed there relationship growing and all the comedy and drama with all the characters. it was just amazing the plot line the characterization with each character having there own unique purpose and personality basicly everything was great until they hit us with that ending where they leave a bad taste in your mouth where nobody wins not even the people who didn't support there love. And I know people are going to say but there brother and sister and that there love is disgusting and I understand where there coming from but you have to understand the story and the emotions everything the writer is displaying and take it in. For me I'm a passionate open minded individual who is a sucker for romance and seeing a brother and sister fall in love is a little hard to embrace I understand but knowing that the two will live a loving life of happiness that is all that matters and which is why I don't unapprove of their relationship. The ending was so bad in my opinion that I just couldn't live with myself knowing all that was just going to end with them breaking up which is why I did my research and read many sources and articles even the 12 Japanese LN that I had to translate to come to the conclusion that what they showed at the end has a secret ending/message to it that not many will know so let the explanation begin.

Remember when Kirino made a bet with Kyousuke. If Kyousuke fails the mock exams, Kyousuke will be Kirino's slave for life and do as she please. And if Kyousuke wins, he would get '1 wish' from Kirino. And Kyousuke won the bet.
So fast forward, towards the ending of OreImo, where Kyousuke and Kirino arrived in Akibira, to meet with the 'Otaku Girls Unite'. Kyousuke tells Kirino that he still has that '1 time wish' and now knows what to use it for. So he ask her to come closer, with the gesture of his hand, and as soon as she came close, Kyousuke kissed her in the cheek or the lips as for the Light Novel(doesn't really matter on what I'm going to talk about).
At that moment, when Kyousuke said that he found out "what to use his '1 time wish' for". He thought of using that '1 time wish' to break the 'promise' they made, about only 'dating until graduation'. So when Kyousuke kissed Kirino, I believe he didn't just use up his '1 time wish' just to kiss Kirino, but Kyousuke instead, intended to used his '1 time wish' to break the 'promise'(of them not dating until graduation). Because after the 'dating until graduation' ends, they aren't allowed to to kiss, hold hands, hug, date, and the like, towards each other. So when Kyousuke kissed Kirino, he intended to break that 'promise' with the '1 time wish', that he won from a bet with Kirino.
So when Kyousuke kissed Kirino, he simply stated(showed/implied) to Kirino, that he used his '1 time wish' to break the 'promise' that they made, of them only 'dating until graduation'. So that they can continue to be together as lovers. Kirino probably got the message and idea of the '1 time wish' being used to break the 'promise'. She probably, earlier on, expected him to break the 'promise' they agreed on. Just like when she was suppose to go abroad (again), she told Kyousuke that she thought that Kyousuke would use the '1 time wish' to let her stay instead of going, but she chose to stay anyways. After Kyousuke confessed his feelings for Kirino.
Also, back to the ending of OreImo. At the part of Kyousuke kissing Kirino, Kirino pushes away Kyousuke and said they will have 'Life Counseling'. So, Kyousuke and Kirino lives continue as lovers than just being as normal siblings(which the publishers were trying to go for), but in secret, even towards their own audience. I realized that nobody actually thought about this or knew about it(from what I know). Most people think the kiss is just trivial matter, but in fact its a strong hidden meaning(placed by the author). Because why in the world would Kyousuke just waste a '1 time wish', that he would probably never have again, just to kiss Kirino?(I think not.) So their love life continues on, ready to face the challenge that is set before(ahead/in-front of) them. If Season 3 was a thing, it would probably tackle the subject of them trying to find a way of them living a life as lovers when they are siblings, but thanks to the publishers(not really their fault, they are just complying with their government and etc), that won't be happening anytime soon or at all.
Also, after Kyousuke and Kirino kissed, back at the church when Kirino gave back the ring, Kirino didn't look worried or sad and just wore a happy normal face, probably because she knew that Kyousuke is going to use his '1 time wish' to break the 'promise' they made.)

I would like to share this to all of you guys and girls, too. To help some of you feel better about the ending of OreImo. Where I also was a little hurt.

Just my comment:
I have watched the ending of OreImo's anime again to make sure I didn't misinterpreted anything(of the scene I talked about above) and I didn't get the ending wrong. I also felt a small bitterness inside me when I watched the ending again. I just really wish OreImo's story can continue and end more appropriately. Just having it end like that, makes me feel like I can no long live on and look forward to in life.

Yea, yea. You can tell that I'm on the Kirino boat/side, but I would like to also call myself being on kyosuke side as well. This show was so great that I can almost relate it to my very first anime and my favorite Angel Beats which also got me really emotional. I'm an emotional guy :)

I was pretty distraught with the ending myself because I wanted so bad for both to just be happy... So I came here to baw a little when I read this. At first I still wasn't satisfied thinking you had read too much into it. But then one thing popped into my head that you left out that I think really cements your theory: After the kiss Kirino said "we'll talk about this later." Given how Kirino is throughout the whole series, if your theory weren't the case she would've told him off there and that would have been that without further discourse. It would have ended there. But she plans on talking so there's more to the story beyond this ending, even if it is never told.

I'm happy with this.
Oct 18, 2017 8:26 PM

Jan 2014
After learning that the author intended for them to actually remain together, basically making it canon, the ending didn't bother me so much on my second watch-through this week. It is sweet to think about the challenges and everything their future holds, and your explanation helps reinforce all this. I think I finally feel completely content with the ending, this bothered me for a long time when I first watched.

Edit: I also want to add, it would make no sense for them to go through much together and even kiss each other, something they can't ever take back and have to live with the fact they kissed each other romantically - then just cancel all of this out for nothing, and lose friends in the process. If they planned on breaking up anyway, I don't think they would do something that serious (and kinda messed up) that they really can't undo.

Edit 2: I researched a little more and found the "10 years later" story. Although there is no reference to any relationships, this actually gives us more information - it means Kirino probably didn't end up dating someone new, and that reinforces the theories. She's also still living at the same home, presumably with Kyousuke, so we know they still must be close to eachother or she would have gone abroad as planned. Source: https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Ore_no_Im%C5%8Dto_ga_Konna_ni_Kawaii_Wake_ga_Nai:10_Year_Reunion
SkeluxOct 20, 2017 8:32 AM
Feb 1, 2018 3:45 AM

May 2012
You sure repeated the same stuff a lot of times in your explanation man lol.

Still i agree 100% with you forget the kiss the wedding itself already showed us that they will keep on being a romantic couple the same way that they had the wedding in secret and just between themselves (and some close, close friends)

Throughout the series it's shown a lot of times how important real lives are for both of them (especially Kirino) and that they can't just do everything in public since society would not accept it, and even they themselves throughout various times in the show realize how weird it is for siblings to have romantic feelings for one another.

Still they are prepared to do it, they can't break off all relationships like in a game and just go off into the sunset but they quietly decide to live their lives together in secret between themselves and close friends and hey what more do you need?

The kiss at the end i also take it that they will continue with their relationship and that they will try to be affectionate in public as much as they can being a real couple when they can.

Truly, comparisons between fellow humans are what turn out to be the most infuriating.
Feb 15, 2018 1:43 AM
Jan 2018
I will give it to you, I didn't think of it this way. Ill admit, i'm salty as hell. Either way, I wish I didn't watch the OVA. I wanted them to just be siblings that cared about each other in the end and they go on to date other people while always caring for each other. After the confession I accepted it and I could live the real sister ending but why did they have to do me like that with the last few minutes.... I will accept your view because I enjoyed everything up to the point so much, so I don't want to let a few freaking minutes ruin the hours I spent on the show. PS. Ayasa Best Girl!
AnerinusFeb 15, 2018 1:48 AM
Jul 8, 2020 11:55 AM
Nov 2010
Takuan_Soho said:
Kuroneko set this up. Kirino and Kyousuke ended up together, and both of them lived with Kuroneko as equal partners (and with Kuroneko being the beard). Since Kuroneko loved Kirino as much as she loved Kyousuke, this didn't bother her.

The anime making Kirino the tsundere softened this, but for Kuroneko Kirino was her true spiritual soul mate - the only person she truly respected as an artistic peer, this is why she didn't mind sharing Kyousuke with her.

The anime touched on this briefly, the two main points was when Kuroneko, on checking her blog, realized that only Kirino actually read her poetry, and when, after the onsen scene, Kirino echoed Kuroneko's "mad city" rhetoric. This view was cemented by the Kuroneko's picture of the three of them eating breakfast together.

I knew there had to be something deeper within the Kuroneko storyline than we could discern at the surface level of the anime, and this is definitely an insightful perspective into what she was really trying to accomplish. She had a vision, and it wasn't just the childish one.
Jul 8, 2020 12:00 PM

Jul 2019
cannot believe I just read all of that and how so little people commented on this
Jul 9, 2020 7:50 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Author just added the continuations story of Oreimo the moment in between Eromanga Sensei show had been launched. After reading that, its understandable that they might've a love continuations story in indirected implification on it. Their group was not split up after the incident which was a good sign for continuing a good ending. Afterall, long live the incestous relationship over Kyo and Kirino. And fucked every social matter that may blocked their dream. I mean, they should've pray better to god that their friends and even their parents did gave a blessing toward their forbidden relationship. So, the continuations, like your long-ass explanations were relatable by what happened on their world. So, enjoy that moment, then!

Ofc the studio publisher such a shit doesn't go all out and goes wild on it. The safe play just limited the freedom of animation industry. So, i guess, a child play would be better than what happened on the OVA closurement. What a shit decision, then, lmao.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Aug 14, 2020 5:00 PM
Jul 2018
There are always men of culture that share my hopes. I was a little bit down after reading other people's reviews about the ending and the overall series because I really loved it, but knowing that there are more people who felt the same makes me smile happily.
Well, knowing those two siblings (Kirino who kept loving her aniki all those years, even while thinking her feelings were twisted and can't be requited, and had been accumulating almost everything she has in order to make him admit her. In the other hand Kyousuke who, once found out how much he loved her, gave up everything and everyone else just for a short memory with her ,not to forget that he mustered his courage and made such a public confession/proposal that he must have thought pointless and guaranteed to be rejected because he believed she hated him), even if they aren't dating each other or having an intimate relationship, I think they will always be in love with each other especially now that they are aware of each other's feelings. People may look at them as some can-be-found-anywhere close siblings, but deep inside they are two lovebirds that can speak just by looking each other in the eyes and can convey their feelings just by a smile on the face.
After all, love isn't always about dating, kissing and marrying. It can have its pure shape as well.
Aug 14, 2020 9:26 PM
Mar 2014
Makes sense. I can go with that and I feel like because they couldn’t openly admit things because that would be entering dangerous territory they (I say they but I mean the author, I forgot his name) had things hinted and small details sprinkled within the show & LN, a few of which you guys bought up. One of the guys theory on Kuroneko/Ruri letting Kyosuke and Kirino live with them or allow for Kyosuke to be shared between the two is plausible due to the exchange between (best girl) Ayase and Ruri when they were at Kyosuke’s apartment. It’s been a while so I can’t remember the exact wording but basically she’s fine with Kyosuke even if him and Kirino are intimate (such as echhi ヽ(´ー`)) and after breakup towards the end of the episode she says the curse isn’t lifted or something alone the lines meaning their still together evening after K&K are together making the end (episode) picture of the three eating further believable. The only problem I have is that even though when Kyosuke rejects her she says she knew what the outcome would be but she’s still hurt and curses him.

Edit: I just reliesed that Ruri ‘cursing’ him meant she is still with him even though she isn’t the preferred one between the two, if I’m not looking to deep into it..
Mar 14, 2022 2:51 PM

Nov 2020
White_Kotori said:

Just my comment:

Thanks... I really needed this to ease a bit of my pain 😪
Apr 30, 2022 12:37 AM
Feb 2017
If being open-minded means you have to agree and support taboo things like incest, LGBTQ+, etc, I'd rather being a narrow-minded human being for the rest of my life as long as I'm still sane and decent...
May 17, 2022 6:19 PM
Aug 2020
As usual, harems ruin everything.

Good stories traditionally have two forms...

1) Drama, in which characters face obstacles, overcome flaws, show growth, and become functional and productive adults.

2) Tragedy, in which the characters face obstacles, don't overcome their flaws, don't grow, and meet a tragic ending.

At some point, fairly recently people decided that it's mean to notice that people are selfish dysfunctional children, to point that out to them, and to expect them to change, so we now have stories that celebrate selfish people who refuse to grow up or grow and leave a trail of emotional destruction in their wake. Those are bad stories that appeal to people who want to believe it's fine to be messed up and selfish. That's what this story is.

The only one close to growing and being an adult in the end is Tamura. Sadly, she stopped short of beating Kirino so ugly that she could never model again, didn't sound like she'd tell gossip sites about their relationship, leaving her unemployable and she didn't tell their father so he would beat Kyousuke nearly to death and disown both of them, leaving them homeless. If the author had the skill and guts to write a tragedy, that would have been the correct tragic ending for selfish and stupid characters who refuse to grow, leaving the two with no future.

Having Kyousuke and Kirino grow up, stop being selfish, childish, and stupid, and letting Kyousuke have a functional relationship with Ruri would have been the appropriate drama ending. I guess that would be to boring for most people these days.

In a previous reply, someone mentioned that Ruri's roll in the story was to become a "beard" for Kyousuke and Kirino. What a wonderful role for a young person to aspire to. Would Kyousuke be happy with Karino playing that role for another couple? Of course not. It's humiliating, degrading, and has no future. No parent or sibling would want their child or sibling in that role.

Will either Ruri or Kirino have children with Kyousuke? What kind of household would they live in? Of course you need to be a functional adult to have thoughts like that, and none of these characters are functional adults except, maybe, Tamura. And if there is any winner to this story, it's Tamura, because she got away from the trash and has a chance at a normal life. I wish her well.
May 17, 2022 6:54 PM

Aug 2018
Kerzic said:
As usual, harems ruin everything.

Good stories traditionally have two forms...

1) Drama, in which characters face obstacles, overcome flaws, show growth, and become functional and productive adults.

2) Tragedy, in which the characters face obstacles, don't overcome their flaws, don't grow, and meet a tragic ending.

At some point, fairly recently people decided that it's mean to notice that people are selfish dysfunctional children, to point that out to them, and to expect them to change, so we now have stories that celebrate selfish people who refuse to grow up or grow and leave a trail of emotional destruction in their wake. Those are bad stories that appeal to people who want to believe it's fine to be messed up and selfish. That's what this story is.

The only one close to growing and being an adult in the end is Tamura. Sadly, she stopped short of beating Kirino so ugly that she could never model again, didn't sound like she'd tell gossip sites about their relationship, leaving her unemployable and she didn't tell their father so he would beat Kyousuke nearly to death and disown both of them, leaving them homeless. If the author had the skill and guts to write a tragedy, that would have been the correct tragic ending for selfish and stupid characters who refuse to grow, leaving the two with no future.

Having Kyousuke and Kirino grow up, stop being selfish, childish, and stupid, and letting Kyousuke have a functional relationship with Ruri would have been the appropriate drama ending. I guess that would be to boring for most people these days.

In a previous reply, someone mentioned that Ruri's roll in the story was to become a "beard" for Kyousuke and Kirino. What a wonderful role for a young person to aspire to. Would Kyousuke be happy with Karino playing that role for another couple? Of course not. It's humiliating, degrading, and has no future. No parent or sibling would want their child or sibling in that role.

Will either Ruri or Kirino have children with Kyousuke? What kind of household would they live in? Of course you need to be a functional adult to have thoughts like that, and none of these characters are functional adults except, maybe, Tamura. And if there is any winner to this story, it's Tamura, because she got away from the trash and has a chance at a normal life. I wish her well.

the same guy who wrote the ending you hate so much also wrote the confrontation between Kirino and Manami. He wrote the breakup scene between Kyousuke and Ruri too. Which proves he is not a bad writer nor is he clueless about social realities. In fact, it proves that he is quite a bit better and knowledgeable than the average LN author.
May 18, 2022 8:51 AM
Aug 2020
epidemia78 said:
the same guy who wrote the ending you hate so much also wrote the confrontation between Kirino and Manami. He wrote the breakup scene between Kyousuke and Ruri too. Which proves he is not a bad writer nor is he clueless about social realities. In fact, it proves that he is quite a bit better and knowledgeable than the average LN author.

Sure, there are some great characters, plot lines, and scenes in this story, but there is more to writing than good standalone scenes. Both Lost and Game of Thrones were hot TV shows with great characters, plot lines, and scene writing that everyone talked about but a lot of people regret watching them after disastrous endings that few people liked. There are some great scenes that I enjoyed in the recent Star Wars movies but, overall, they're pretty poorly written. And failing to deliver is even worse when the potential is there to be something greater, and I do think it's fair to say this story had the potential to be something greater if it wasn't so determined to reach the trashy ending.

Even the two scenes you point to as being very well written have problems because the writer was forcing and ending on the story.

The confrontation between Kirino and Manami started out well, with Tamura fully unloading on Kirino and telling them why they're wrong, but right about the point where she pretty much won the argument, she loses her spine and pretty much just gives up to a fairly lame counter-argument, letting them off the hook. The author couldn't let her win and have the ending he wants, so he has her give up and walk away, instead, even though she has the capacity to destroy both of them. Great start. Weak ending.

As for Kyousuke and Ruri breaking up, the author has her give up, too, because he needs her to be weak. Does she really offer a counter argument or fight back? And then he still has her as part of the harem group later on, grinning and bearing it. The smitten girly character we see as they start dating gets dropped and she, too, give up without giving it her all, because if there was any more to it, Kyousuke would look even more awful than he already does.

In other words, the characters do things to force the ending the author wants instead of standing up for themselves and acting fully in character. Yeah, it's great Tamara gets a spine but then she gives up instead of following up and having the leads experience any of the consequences she points out. Yeah, it's great that we see Ruri get upset enough to rip up her book, but then we see her grinning and bearing it shortly after. So, what those two scenes showed me is that the writer knew what he was writing and may have had the potential to write something great, but couldn't let the characters and events progress to the logical conclusion and get the ending he wanted. So rather than the ending being character driven or plausible, it's forced and delusional.

And I'll also mention another problem, which is that the story ultimately betrays one of it's own early arguments. Early on the story, characters are concerned about the corrupting influences of eroge on Kirino and the author, via Kyousuke, argues that they're not inherently corrupting or problematic, yet in the ending, the characters fulfill the kind of fears everyone had about them at the beginning, when they called out both Kirino and Kyousuke, suggesting that everyone else was right to be concerned early on and should have intervened to stop them earlier in the story. So is the story trying to make the case that many otakus really are sick puppies and that things like eroge and R18 doujinshi are corrupting influences that encourage people to be dysfunctional perverts? It sure seems like it by the end.
May 18, 2022 10:33 AM

Aug 2018
@Kerzic You're not wrong. It's been years since I saw the show and I don't recall many of the finer details but I do remember being disappointed in the ending, especially the bit with the car full of girls helping Kyousuke ruin his life. But I also remember being impressed with the two scenes I mentioned earlier and just a feeling that the series overall was MUCH more competently written than I've come to expect from the typical trashy light novel adaptation. Sure, at the end of the day all the characters acted like anime characters but there was a sliver of real humanity in them that you rarely see, especially in this genre.

Of course, it's not Shakespeare or anything but it doesn't deserve it's reputation it has in the anime community as "the worst story ever". Far from it.

I don't know how much blame for the way it ended can be put on the editors but it's a commonly accepted fact that the author was forced to change his vision for the story.
May 27, 2022 5:11 PM
Aug 2020
epidemia78 said:
@Kerzic You're not wrong. It's been years since I saw the show and I don't recall many of the finer details but I do remember being disappointed in the ending, especially the bit with the car full of girls helping Kyousuke ruin his life. But I also remember being impressed with the two scenes I mentioned earlier and just a feeling that the series overall was MUCH more competently written than I've come to expect from the typical trashy light novel adaptation. Sure, at the end of the day all the characters acted like anime characters but there was a sliver of real humanity in them that you rarely see, especially in this genre.

Of course, it's not Shakespeare or anything but it doesn't deserve it's reputation it has in the anime community as "the worst story ever". Far from it.

I don't know how much blame for the way it ended can be put on the editors but it's a commonly accepted fact that the author was forced to change his vision for the story.

As I said, there are some great characters, plot lines, and scenes in this story and those scenes could have been truly great where they hooked into a story worthy of them. So I do understand what you are saying. That it has some promise and could have been so much better had the author let it makes it all the more tragic. If it were simply garbage top to bottom, it wouldn't be such a disappointment. It would simply be a cheap trash fire.

Yet another problem is the early scene where Kyousuke explains why he can't have romantic feelings for Tamura. He grew up with her and sees her in a certain way because if it. That's normal. In fact, it's why "childhood friends" typically don't wind up being romantic partners and, psychologically, it's a big part of how sibling bonding works to keep siblings and other close relatives from getting romantically involved. The story shows Kyousuke feeling that way about Tamura yet he doesn't behave the same way with his own sibling who he has spent even more time with.

So, again and again, this story undermined itself, it's themes, and the arguments the characters make to rationalize their behavior. The parents were ultimately correct that the games were corrupting. The people who believe the otaku are creeps and weirdos are ultimately right about the ones we see, because they turn out to be that way. The parents should have burned her games and sent her brother far away when they saw what was going on.

So what was the author really trying to say with the story? It's OK to be a self-destructive narcissist? That otaku and eroge really are as awful and corrupting as their critics claim they are? That parents really should come down hard on their kids when they show any signs of being weird or kinky? If not, then what's the point of the story? To simply be shocking? To be a cheap lurid incest fantasy?

There were great characters and situations in this story and all the pieces were in place for this to be either a drama, where the characters grow and realize that a romantic relationship is out of the question or a tragedy where they wreck their lives, but it ends up being forced to be a cheap lurid incest fantasy, instead. That's why I find it so disappointing. But the blame for that is on the author, who seems to be the one who insisted on the trashy ending.

The anime and light novels Higehiro suffer from the same problem for similar reasons.

KerzicMar 18, 2023 12:40 PM
Mar 2, 2023 11:30 AM
Mar 2023
One line comes to mind... someone says to Kirino and Kyousuke that they look nothing alike. The best ending possible would have been to reveal that they are not actually blood siblings. Then their relationship would no longer be illegal and taboo.
Mar 24, 2023 7:36 PM
Mar 2022
I think a way to ease the pain a lot of people have about Kyosuke getting together with Kirino and not another girl is to remember that this is anime. Yes I know, I know, you can reflect yourself onto the characters but just remember that their lives aren't real and that all we should be grateful for is that they were able to give us this amazing story that is oreimo. I think that the ending and how Kyosuke's love life turns out shouldn't matter as much as the funny moments and all the characters we met along the way. But at the end of the day, you can just play the PSP game and choose whatever route you want.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai. Specials Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2013

851 by Cammell »»
Dec 17, 2023 2:06 AM

Poll: » Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai. Specials Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2013

114 by Cammell »»
Dec 17, 2023 1:28 AM

Poll: » Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai. Specials Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2013

251 by GearheadOtaku »»
Oct 27, 2023 10:22 PM

» Harem ending

removed-user - Dec 11, 2022

3 by Aref_Afkhami »»
Dec 12, 2022 1:41 PM

Poll: » Who do you want Kyousuke to end up with? ( 1 2 3 )

YamiNoOkami - Jul 6, 2013

121 by Shengud »»
Dec 19, 2021 2:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.