Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 15, 2022 3:20 PM
Aug 2016
It was a great anime overall.

8.5/10
Mar 16, 2022 5:05 PM

Feb 2017
This ended up being a really nice adaptation of the novel. A few things were changed here and there, but all of the major events happened. For those looking to see more of the romance, there really wasn't much in the book either. The main focus was on the characters' creation of the dictionary. Overall, this was a really nice show, very relaxing and a nice change of pace.
Mar 23, 2022 10:41 AM

Jul 2008
That was a beautiful and realistic story. 8/10 for me.
Mar 27, 2022 4:39 AM

Jul 2021
I kind of think that the timeskip part made me lower my score by 1 but nonetheless it was a decent watch. 6/10
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Nov 5, 2022 3:10 AM
Aug 2021
Loved how they showed little skits of Kai throughout the show then revealed it as a mascot in the end
Jan 23, 2023 4:50 AM

Apr 2020
It was all right. Nothing really amazing but nothing particularly bad.
6/10
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Feb 19, 2023 11:15 AM

Dec 2020
This anime wasn't bad but it just didn't get my attention or make me emotionally invested in anything which is a bit disappointing.
Jul 18, 2023 11:55 AM

Aug 2014
It was good anime, I liked the animation of faces and animation of city was also ok, it was a little melancholic at times, but Nishioka saved the day :)
It was nice, but also kinda unfair that almost everyone of them found a partner, people who work so much tend to be alone, because of no time for romance.
I did expect that Matsumoto will not see the finish of the dictionary.
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Jul 27, 2023 7:49 PM

Jun 2012
Glad Nishioka wifed up his girl. She was a keeper. Sad to see the old guy go but it was his lifes work. I feel like pouring one out for the boys. Kind of makes me think what I will be remembered for and what I want to do for my lifes work.
Jul 31, 2023 3:38 AM

Dec 2020
i never remotely knew or could've possibly thought anything before about what it takes to make a dictionary or had much care for it so i'm fully surprised how invested i am in that concept solely because of this anime, it's like a hidden art form in it's own. it's a bit soul crushing to realize how underappreciated that kind of thing is especially in japan but that's how it is for a lot of work. i'm kind of glad i saw this anime.

I enjoyed it a lot and there was nothing disastrous or bad about it but imo the timeskip did mess it up for me a bit, i was expecting something more interesting to come from nishioka moving to PR and such just for it to get cut off, because nishioka is the best most based character in this whole anime he deserves all the best imaginable.

5/10 average but not bad by any means
I like Közi a healthy amount.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This is no joke I'm really going to do it this time.
Aug 10, 2023 12:27 PM

Aug 2022
Starting this anime I didn't really expect it to be good. I mean it's about people making a dictionary of all things. But I'm glad to say that I was wrong.
Aug 19, 2023 12:11 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Nice last episode to close the season!!
Full of surprises and a great notices!!

In general was a interesting and different anime series, easy to watch a great rythm.

6/10

kekeke
Feb 17, 11:16 PM
CD enthusiast

Jan 2024
Firstly, I'll just say that I was very enthusiastic about it to begin with, as the subject is something related to my career offline. However, after finishing it, I felt a little disappointed, especially that they didn't do all that much with the actual topic at hand. As someone who regularly deals with linguistics-related questions for work, I was excited to learn about the field of dictionary creation and to hear characters discuss questions of language ad nauseam. Unfortunately, however, I didn't learn too much about it and only heard here and there that words have multiple definitions and can be used differently in different contexts (what a revelation...). I guess the creators decided that in the 11 episodes they had to work with, a focus on the bland uninspired characters would be more worthwhile than actually exploring the theme of their creation. That being said, I did enjoy it overall, if only for the idea.

moozooh said:
Ha, interesting. In my opinion the material itself was fine—it's the direction that was too generic. If anime has taught us anything it's that "dull" subject matter benefits greatly from the more experimental approaches, which in this case were just rare and short glimpses of obvious visual metaphors in an otherwise completely realistic, flat directorial style.

Absolutely! It was such a shame, as the subject really allows for so much imagination to be brought to life. I'm not suggesting it should have been akin to an acid trip or anything, but I don't see why they played it so safe with such a unique idea. Possibly 11 episodes weren't enough to fit everything they wanted, but that doesn't excuse the neglect of the actual subject of the series. I wonder if the live action film is any better.

moozooh said:
Please, describe the characters of Kaguya, Araki, Matsumoto, and Kishibe without mentioning their looks nor biography data, and without comparing them with other characters. As a bonus challenge, elaborate on what we've learned about their personality by the end of the series that we didn't know by the end of the second episode they were featured in.

I agree with you. The characters were really not memorable, and I honestly found Majime himself to be a bit of a damp rag.

sevki said:
Meh. In the first half of the season I really enjoyed the show. But the rest... Full filler felt to me. Especially the time skip, which could not really be handled.

I also felt the time skips were rather poorly handled. When it first happened, it felt rather disorientating, as the characters didn't really look any different, and suddenly Majime is married to this character we only really just met. Even the death of Matsumoto felt like a last-ditch hamfisted attempt at eliciting emotion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fune wo Amu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2016

105 by Kayarbee70 »»
Apr 7, 3:57 PM

Poll: » Fune wo Amu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2016

130 by satanleo »»
Sep 7, 2023 7:14 PM

Poll: » Fune wo Amu Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2016

46 by Atavistic »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:30 AM

Poll: » Fune wo Amu Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2016

51 by Ranxomare »»
Aug 19, 2023 11:59 AM

Poll: » Fune wo Amu Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2016

50 by UnknownGhost5 »»
Aug 8, 2023 4:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.