Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Dec 8, 2014 8:10 AM

Apr 2009
waste of time.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 21, 2014 5:04 AM

May 2011
Really liked the pun in the end though. The existence of the iron itself is an irony, an irony to contrast the normalcy of the entire situation in the neighbourhood itself. The iron is supposed to 'flatten' anything interesting back into something plain and 'flat', yet the town it is in in the first place is a good example of that. Mamimi left in the end symbolises her getting over her past. After taking revenge upon the people who bullied her, and seeing that Naota can never act as Tasuku's replacement anymore, she left. In a way, it was a satisfying conclusion for Mamimi's segment in the anime. In fact, the entire thing about his brother actually acted as an obstacle to Naota's maturity, which was overcome by the end.

For Ninamori, the conclusion was less than I expected, sadly (I like her character most out of the supporting cast, and even the main cast). It is shown in the first half of the series that she has come to consensus and admitted her angst and abhorrence towards her parents' actions, when she mentioned about crying out. Additionally, the very ending which she passed Naota a soft drink she drank - it was a homage of sort which mimics the beginning when Mamimi was the one who did that. This is evidently a hint towards her continuing crush for Naota, though unrequited. (I liked this scene particularly in this episode)

Lastly for Naota. He is definitely the most important character in this anime, (well, he is the main character after all) and the development he has underwent throughout the six episodes is highly significant. From a childish cynic who desires to be like a grownup in an environment which prevents him from doing so, a hateful character, which eventually grows up to be what we would call a man. Nevertheless, some things will never change, (just like what Gainax does nearly all of the time) the town remain as it is, mundane and uneventful, and he remains a cynic, as if nothing has happened. However, one cannot deny his feelings of love for Haruko by the end, even though it seems like she never had any feel for him but to make use of him only. Definitely disputed, and I do believe that Haruko did have feelings for him by the end. Her priorities however, still placed more importance than Naota, despite a moment of desire to bring him with her (the part before she left).

Overall, FLCL proved to be a great watch. While I do feel uncomfortable and is highly neutral (slightly towards dislike) towards the epic battle action sequences, they are, in the end, a part of Gainax's 'culture' and they just couldn't leave this out of their original anime. Technical aspects are very good for a 2000 anime, that is thanks to their collaboration with I.G. The soundtrack purely done by the pillows proved to be very suitable and applicable for the overall mood of FLCL. Props to be given to its greatest aspect - the characters. While many do find this difficult to understand, having been highly concealed by the relentless actions scenes and random moments; if one actually stops to recap and think (intensely), FLCL's charm lies in this aspect. As such, 9/10 for a great conclusion to this anime.
grayrebornnhyDec 21, 2014 5:08 AM
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Jan 11, 2015 1:10 PM

Oct 2014
Lolwut. This anime was pretty entertaining I must say. Fun to watch something like this once in a while.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 20, 2015 8:15 PM

Aug 2014
This last episode was absolutely masterful!
The symbolism and the intensity of the allegory just went to a whole new level. Let’s start off with each instance of the allegory in this episode: First, I’ve realized that the whole town is just part of the allegory for Naota’s mind sort of. It was all cloudy at first because he was all sad without his girl, Haruko, he was very sad and distressed because of her not being there and he probably wanted to fuck her again or something. The hand next to the big object in the middle was Haruko’s manipulative grip around Naota. It hadn’t quite come fully at that point so it was open and just sitting, ready to go in for the kill which is to take Naota’s heart per se. Then, the red head guy and Naota were talking and they were talking about how after Naota and Haruko having sex, it caused “a whole bunch of problems for the people around them.” Which is true of Naota’s decedent relationship with the older girl. Then, when she came back, he immediately fell into her trap by becoming dependent on her when she left because it was shown that he was so dependent on her, and he liked her so much, that he openly hugged her and begged to know why she left him for that period of time, something he had never done before and wouldn’t have done at the beginning of the series. Then, Haruko tried to gain a permanent grip on Naota by activating the hand to fully grasp the structure in the middle of town, which represented her having him in the palm of her hand to the core…. Literally! The red head guy saw what she was trying to do and he tried to reason with and save Naota from her and to have him turn back, however, he was too far gone into Haruko’s manipulative grasp and went back to her and they might have had sex because they pulled out the guitar which seems to have represented that so far. After he fully commits to her, the hand firmly grasps the structure in the middle or the town, or Naota’s core. It was made very clear that she had him under her control when the red head screamed out that that had happened. Also, when Mamimi was walking with that mechanical dog thing, I believe that was representative of her new boyfriend whom she didn’t really love that she was using to either make Naota jealous or to fill the hole in her left after Naota left her. This boyfriend was a typical douchebag, badboy, etc. kind of guy, because he kept becoming more fond of her as she fed him. I think each time she fed him, it could have represented her blowing him or something else like that. Also, you could see the depression in her eyes as she walked around with him. The boyfriend’s ego eventually got out of control and he started attacking anyone who said anything remotely bad about Mamimi like when he broke the car of those kids who were talking about her. He went on a rampage and Mamimi couldn’t stop him. So, coming back to the scene with Haruko and Naota, it seemed she had a permanent grip on him, but then, suddenly, he broke free and escaped her grasp for a short duration. Then, he immediately went back to her and said he loved her. This could be representative of them having a love-hate relationship where they break up and get back together often. Luckily, he broke free a final time and probably realized he was being manipulated. She then noticed this, and gave up as she casually left him, because, after all, he was a kid. Naota and Mamimi probably started over again judging by the last scene. However, the central structure of the city was forever tipped slightly. I think this symbolized the fact that this experience with this girl that Naota had will forever change him and he’ll never be the same as he used to be.

This story was absolutely amazing, I love the way they showed the journey of a boy who got into sex with older women (possibly in an attempt to become more mature now that his brother was gone) and its consequences and how he got over it and was changed forever…. 10/10!
Feb 27, 2015 11:56 AM

Apr 2012
randomly entertaining
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Apr 21, 2015 2:13 PM

Oct 2014
Solid conclusion to an entertaining anime. Loved the art and soundtrack, and the characters were pretty great as well. The humor was well placed and the battle scenes were well done. Still not quite sure of a lot of specifics in this anime, but I get the general gist of what was going on. Reading some of the other posts here definitely helped me understanding some of the allegories and deeper meanings as well, which in my mind makes this a bit better.

I'd give the overall series a 7.75/10, rounded to 8/10 on here.
Jun 10, 2015 1:35 PM

Apr 2013
berserker15 said:
The symbolism and the intensity of the allegory just went to a whole new level. Let’s start off with each instance of the allegory in this episode: First, I’ve realized that the whole town is just part of the allegory for Naota’s mind sort of. It was all cloudy at first because he was all sad without his girl, Haruko, he was very sad and distressed because of her not being there and he probably wanted to fuck her again or something. The hand next to the big object in the middle was Haruko’s manipulative grip around Naota. It hadn’t quite come fully at that point so it was open and just sitting, ready to go in for the kill which is to take Naota’s heart per se. Then, the red head guy and Naota were talking and they were talking about how after Naota and Haruko having sex, it caused “a whole bunch of problems for the people around them.” Which is true of Naota’s decedent relationship with the older girl. Then, when she came back, he immediately fell into her trap by becoming dependent on her when she left because it was shown that he was so dependent on her, and he liked her so much, that he openly hugged her and begged to know why she left him for that period of time, something he had never done before and wouldn’t have done at the beginning of the series. Then, Haruko tried to gain a permanent grip on Naota by activating the hand to fully grasp the structure in the middle of town, which represented her having him in the palm of her hand to the core…. Literally! The red head guy saw what she was trying to do and he tried to reason with and save Naota from her and to have him turn back, however, he was too far gone into Haruko’s manipulative grasp and went back to her and they might have had sex because they pulled out the guitar which seems to have represented that so far. After he fully commits to her, the hand firmly grasps the structure in the middle or the town, or Naota’s core. It was made very clear that she had him under her control when the red head screamed out that that had happened. Also, when Mamimi was walking with that mechanical dog thing, I believe that was representative of her new boyfriend whom she didn’t really love that she was using to either make Naota jealous or to fill the hole in her left after Naota left her. This boyfriend was a typical douchebag, badboy, etc. kind of guy, because he kept becoming more fond of her as she fed him. I think each time she fed him, it could have represented her blowing him or something else like that. Also, you could see the depression in her eyes as she walked around with him. The boyfriend’s ego eventually got out of control and he started attacking anyone who said anything remotely bad about Mamimi like when he broke the car of those kids who were talking about her. He went on a rampage and Mamimi couldn’t stop him. So, coming back to the scene with Haruko and Naota, it seemed she had a permanent grip on him, but then, suddenly, he broke free and escaped her grasp for a short duration. Then, he immediately went back to her and said he loved her. This could be representative of them having a love-hate relationship where they break up and get back together often. Luckily, he broke free a final time and probably realized he was being manipulated. She then noticed this, and gave up as she casually left him, because, after all, he was a kid. Naota and Mamimi probably started over again judging by the last scene. However, the central structure of the city was forever tipped slightly. I think this symbolized the fact that this experience with this girl that Naota had will forever change him and he’ll never be the same as he used to be.

This story was absolutely amazing, I love the way they showed the journey of a boy who got into sex with older women (possibly in an attempt to become more mature now that his brother was gone) and its consequences and how he got over it and was changed forever…. 10/10!

^Pretentious Overthinker Alarm!!!

This is way too silly and can't be taken seriously in any way. Yes I know it's Gainax and all but I personally don't give a shit about it. Story.... What story are you talking about ? The whole point is "Switch off you brain and enjoy the over the top WTF".
Jul 13, 2015 7:04 PM

Sep 2014
This is a great series. Really unique!
Mirai, zura~!
Aug 3, 2015 1:28 PM

Jul 2015
FLCL was somehow refreshing and entertaining.

That relationship between the much older girls and the 12 year old boy was creepy and gross tho. He's 12, he's a fucking kid!
Sep 5, 2015 2:29 PM

Sep 2014
I could write posts and posts about my thoughts on FLCL, but all I'm gonna say is:

10/10
Oct 9, 2015 1:30 PM

May 2015
I don't understand what happened in this episode. Or the entire anime, for that matter.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Nov 15, 2015 6:41 PM

Feb 2015
acdc123 said:
since most of you guys seem to think the story makes no sense whatsoever ill try sum it up. FLCL is a huge metaphoric anime, you could say its story about the sexual development stage of a boy.

the story begins when Haruko (investigator for the Galactic Space Patrol Brotherhood) opens a portal in naota's head with her guitar in her attempt to find atomsk the priate king, robots come out of this portal when hes sexual active. all the robots including Canti come from Medical Mechanica. Medical Mechanica wants to iron out the wrinkles in brain to make everyone dumb. the iron is expressed as that big ass factory/iron in the middle of the town which puts out steam. The hands are expressed throughout the episodes as the robots. Towards the end of the OVA series there are big hands which come close to flatten the town with the iron. Noata saves the day with the powers of the pirate king.

Actually you need to watch the whole series to know wtf is going on. even then you might still be a bit confused. Gainax has a tendency to fk with peoples heads

robotaku said:
To clear some things up:

First of all, I've known this anime for like 6 or 7 years now. It was the first I ever watched and will be my favorite one for all time. I've rewatched this thing probably like 100 times since I have the DVDs, and it obviously seems that a lot of you need some explanations on what the heck this show is about. There are two meanings to it

1) Metaphorical meaning - This show is all about the experiences of beginning male puberty and understanding your feelings. Try to rewatch the series without even paying attention to the Medical Mechanica bull crap. Throughout the show, Naota gains knowledge of his feelings towards either Mamimi and Haru. Think of a couple things, he can teleport shit through his head (he's so confused about what's going on it feels like his brain is absent) and also the whole transforming into a cannon (it looks like a dick and balls). There's hints of this kinda stuff throughout the series.

2) Literal Meaning - Basically, medical mechanica is a ruling power in the universe that is trying to take over planets for expanding their empire. The iron in the town is the prison for the pirate Admisk which they had captured for trying to destroy them. Through hitting Naota in the head with her guitar, Haru learns about Naota being able to support an end point teleporter in his head. The things that come out of Naota's head are basically prisoners of medical mechanica.Through this portal, Haru attempts at releasing Admisk from his prison. At the end, he is finally released by Naota but escapes into outer space, which is why Haru leaves.

This series only really pissed me off because Naota doesn't end up with either Mamimi or Haru!!!! But you can obviously see by the end, Naota finally understands the feelings he's going through and will probably end up being with Ninamori.

All in all, show gets a 10/10 from me, and that
ll never change.
Hope this helps yall =)

grayrebornnhy said:
Really liked the pun in the end though. The existence of the iron itself is an irony, an irony to contrast the normalcy of the entire situation in the neighbourhood itself. The iron is supposed to 'flatten' anything interesting back into something plain and 'flat', yet the town it is in in the first place is a good example of that. Mamimi left in the end symbolises her getting over her past. After taking revenge upon the people who bullied her, and seeing that Naota can never act as Tasuku's replacement anymore, she left. In a way, it was a satisfying conclusion for Mamimi's segment in the anime. In fact, the entire thing about his brother actually acted as an obstacle to Naota's maturity, which was overcome by the end.

For Ninamori, the conclusion was less than I expected, sadly (I like her character most out of the supporting cast, and even the main cast). It is shown in the first half of the series that she has come to consensus and admitted her angst and abhorrence towards her parents' actions, when she mentioned about crying out. Additionally, the very ending which she passed Naota a soft drink she drank - it was a homage of sort which mimics the beginning when Mamimi was the one who did that. This is evidently a hint towards her continuing crush for Naota, though unrequited. (I liked this scene particularly in this episode)

Lastly for Naota. He is definitely the most important character in this anime, (well, he is the main character after all) and the development he has underwent throughout the six episodes is highly significant. From a childish cynic who desires to be like a grownup in an environment which prevents him from doing so, a hateful character, which eventually grows up to be what we would call a man. Nevertheless, some things will never change, (just like what Gainax does nearly all of the time) the town remain as it is, mundane and uneventful, and he remains a cynic, as if nothing has happened. However, one cannot deny his feelings of love for Haruko by the end, even though it seems like she never had any feel for him but to make use of him only. Definitely disputed, and I do believe that Haruko did have feelings for him by the end. Her priorities however, still placed more importance than Naota, despite a moment of desire to bring him with her (the part before she left).

Overall, FLCL proved to be a great watch. While I do feel uncomfortable and is highly neutral (slightly towards dislike) towards the epic battle action sequences, they are, in the end, a part of Gainax's 'culture' and they just couldn't leave this out of their original anime. Technical aspects are very good for a 2000 anime, that is thanks to their collaboration with I.G. The soundtrack purely done by the pillows proved to be very suitable and applicable for the overall mood of FLCL. Props to be given to its greatest aspect - the characters. While many do find this difficult to understand, having been highly concealed by the relentless actions scenes and random moments; if one actually stops to recap and think (intensely), FLCL's charm lies in this aspect. As such, 9/10 for a great conclusion to this anime.

berserker15 said:
The symbolism and the intensity of the allegory just went to a whole new level. Let's start off with each instance of the allegory in this episode: First, I've realized that the whole town is just part of the allegory for Naota's mind sort of. It was all cloudy at first because he was all sad without his girl, Haruko, he was very sad and distressed because of her not being there and he probably wanted to fuck her again or something. The hand next to the big object in the middle was Haruko's manipulative grip around Naota. It hadn't quite come fully at that point so it was open and just sitting, ready to go in for the kill which is to take Naota’s heart per se. Then, the red head guy and Naota were talking and they were talking about how after Naota and Haruko having sex, it caused a whole bunch of problems for the people around them. Which is true of Naota's decedent relationship with the older girl. Then, when she came back, he immediately fell into her trap by becoming dependent on her when she left because it was shown that he was so dependent on her, and he liked her so much, that he openly hugged her and begged to know why she left him for that period of time, something he had never done before and wouldn't have done at the beginning of the series. Then, Haruko tried to gain a permanent grip on Naota by activating the hand to fully grasp the structure in the middle of town, which represented her having him in the palm of her hand to the core…. Literally! The red head guy saw what she was trying to do and he tried to reason with and save Naota from her and to have him turn back, however, he was too far gone into Haruko's manipulative grasp and went back to her and they might have had sex because they pulled out the guitar which seems to have represented that so far. After he fully commits to her, the hand firmly grasps the structure in the middle or the town, or Naota’s core. It was made very clear that she had him under her control when the red head screamed out that that had happened. Also, when Mamimi was walking with that mechanical dog thing, I believe that was representative of her new boyfriend whom she didn’t really love that she was using to either make Naota jealous or to fill the hole in her left after Naota left her. This boyfriend was a typical douchebag, badboy, etc. kind of guy, because he kept becoming more fond of her as she fed him. I think each time she fed him, it could have represented her blowing him or something else like that. Also, you could see the depression in her eyes as she walked around with him. The boyfriend's ego eventually got out of control and he started attacking anyone who said anything remotely bad about Mamimi like when he broke the car of those kids who were talking about her. He went on a rampage and Mamimi couldn'tt stop him. So, coming back to the scene with Haruko and Naota, it seemed she had a permanent grip on him, but then, suddenly, he broke free and escaped her grasp for a short duration. Then, he immediately went back to her and said he loved her. This could be representative of them having a love-hate relationship where they break up and get back together often. Luckily, he broke free a final time and probably realized he was being manipulated. She then noticed this, and gave up as she casually left him, because, after all, he was a kid. Naota and Mamimi probably started over again judging by the last scene. However, the central structure of the city was forever tipped slightly. I think this symbolized the fact that this experience with this girl that Naota had will forever change him and he'll never be the same as he used to be.

This story was absolutely amazing, I love the way they showed the journey of a boy who got into sex with older women (possibly in an attempt to become more mature now that his brother was gone) and its consequences and how he got over it and was changed forever. 10/10!

oi, all of you. God bless all of you for explaining.

Always-Hungry said:

This is way too silly and can't be taken seriously in any way. Yes I know it's Gainax and all but I personally don't give a shit about it. Story.... What story are you talking about ? The whole point is Switch off you brain and enjoy the over the top WTF.

you couldn't be more wrong. just be quiet and sit down.

----
i don't think that naota had sex tho...the most he got was turned on but actual sex? no.

mamimi (or whatever her name was) blew it, really. she's the one who rejected naota. didn't feel bad for her.

i cannot BELIEVE that out of all the comments, every single one, that no-one noted the fight! that was MINDBLOWING. gonna look at it again, definitely.

the comedy and animation made me love it from the start, but after the explaination, it really does deserve a 10. loved it, will definitely put on my rewatch list.
Feb 25, 2016 4:19 AM

Aug 2014
So, in the end the symbol said that he is still a child, good.
Fine animation, Great Art ( I liked the character design very much ), didn't like the sounds, its not my type and i felt it was noisy, the characters traits are somehow good.
The story wasn't interesting to me, coming to age, references, symbolism didn't catch my attention, what caught my attention was the art and the sexual moments at episode 3 which was the best episode for me, I liked the symbolism about the head boners, Also the weirdness/uniqueness of the anime is a good bonus.

Overall: It was a fun watch.
5.7/10 (Average)
Mar 22, 2016 7:38 PM

Jan 2015
Well... That was awesome!!!
Mar 30, 2016 6:36 AM

Jul 2015
TomDay said:
acdc123 said:
since most of you guys seem to think the story makes no sense whatsoever ill try sum it up. FLCL is a huge metaphoric anime, you could say its story about the sexual development stage of a boy.

the story begins when Haruko (investigator for the Galactic Space Patrol Brotherhood) opens a portal in naota's head with her guitar in her attempt to find atomsk the priate king, robots come out of this portal when hes sexual active. all the robots including Canti come from Medical Mechanica. Medical Mechanica wants to iron out the wrinkles in brain to make everyone dumb. the iron is expressed as that big ass factory/iron in the middle of the town which puts out steam. The hands are expressed throughout the episodes as the robots. Towards the end of the OVA series there are big hands which come close to flatten the town with the iron. Noata saves the day with the powers of the pirate king.

Actually you need to watch the whole series to know wtf is going on. even then you might still be a bit confused. Gainax has a tendency to fk with peoples heads

robotaku said:
To clear some things up:

First of all, I've known this anime for like 6 or 7 years now. It was the first I ever watched and will be my favorite one for all time. I've rewatched this thing probably like 100 times since I have the DVDs, and it obviously seems that a lot of you need some explanations on what the heck this show is about. There are two meanings to it

1) Metaphorical meaning - This show is all about the experiences of beginning male puberty and understanding your feelings. Try to rewatch the series without even paying attention to the Medical Mechanica bull crap. Throughout the show, Naota gains knowledge of his feelings towards either Mamimi and Haru. Think of a couple things, he can teleport shit through his head (he's so confused about what's going on it feels like his brain is absent) and also the whole transforming into a cannon (it looks like a dick and balls). There's hints of this kinda stuff throughout the series.

2) Literal Meaning - Basically, medical mechanica is a ruling power in the universe that is trying to take over planets for expanding their empire. The iron in the town is the prison for the pirate Admisk which they had captured for trying to destroy them. Through hitting Naota in the head with her guitar, Haru learns about Naota being able to support an end point teleporter in his head. The things that come out of Naota's head are basically prisoners of medical mechanica.Through this portal, Haru attempts at releasing Admisk from his prison. At the end, he is finally released by Naota but escapes into outer space, which is why Haru leaves.

This series only really pissed me off because Naota doesn't end up with either Mamimi or Haru!!!! But you can obviously see by the end, Naota finally understands the feelings he's going through and will probably end up being with Ninamori.

All in all, show gets a 10/10 from me, and that
ll never change.
Hope this helps yall =)

grayrebornnhy said:

berserker15 said:
The symbolism and the intensity of the allegory just went to a whole new level. Let's start off with each instance of the allegory in this episode: First, I've realized that the whole town is just part of the allegory for Naota's mind sort of. It was all cloudy at first because he was all sad without his girl, Haruko, he was very sad and distressed because of her not being there and he probably wanted to fuck her again or something. The hand next to the big object in the middle was Haruko's manipulative grip around Naota. It hadn't quite come fully at that point so it was open and just sitting, ready to go in for the kill which is to take Naota’s heart per se. Then, the red head guy and Naota were talking and they were talking about how after Naota and Haruko having sex, it caused a whole bunch of problems for the people around them. Which is true of Naota's decedent relationship with the older girl. Then, when she came back, he immediately fell into her trap by becoming dependent on her when she left because it was shown that he was so dependent on her, and he liked her so much, that he openly hugged her and begged to know why she left him for that period of time, something he had never done before and wouldn't have done at the beginning of the series. Then, Haruko tried to gain a permanent grip on Naota by activating the hand to fully grasp the structure in the middle of town, which represented her having him in the palm of her hand to the core…. Literally! The red head guy saw what she was trying to do and he tried to reason with and save Naota from her and to have him turn back, however, he was too far gone into Haruko's manipulative grasp and went back to her and they might have had sex because they pulled out the guitar which seems to have represented that so far. After he fully commits to her, the hand firmly grasps the structure in the middle or the town, or Naota’s core. It was made very clear that she had him under her control when the red head screamed out that that had happened. Also, when Mamimi was walking with that mechanical dog thing, I believe that was representative of her new boyfriend whom she didn’t really love that she was using to either make Naota jealous or to fill the hole in her left after Naota left her. This boyfriend was a typical douchebag, badboy, etc. kind of guy, because he kept becoming more fond of her as she fed him. I think each time she fed him, it could have represented her blowing him or something else like that. Also, you could see the depression in her eyes as she walked around with him. The boyfriend's ego eventually got out of control and he started attacking anyone who said anything remotely bad about Mamimi like when he broke the car of those kids who were talking about her. He went on a rampage and Mamimi couldn'tt stop him. So, coming back to the scene with Haruko and Naota, it seemed she had a permanent grip on him, but then, suddenly, he broke free and escaped her grasp for a short duration. Then, he immediately went back to her and said he loved her. This could be representative of them having a love-hate relationship where they break up and get back together often. Luckily, he broke free a final time and probably realized he was being manipulated. She then noticed this, and gave up as she casually left him, because, after all, he was a kid. Naota and Mamimi probably started over again judging by the last scene. However, the central structure of the city was forever tipped slightly. I think this symbolized the fact that this experience with this girl that Naota had will forever change him and he'll never be the same as he used to be.

This story was absolutely amazing, I love the way they showed the journey of a boy who got into sex with older women (possibly in an attempt to become more mature now that his brother was gone) and its consequences and how he got over it and was changed forever. 10/10!

oi, all of you. God bless all of you for explaining.

Always-Hungry said:

This is way too silly and can't be taken seriously in any way. Yes I know it's Gainax and all but I personally don't give a shit about it. Story.... What story are you talking about ? The whole point is Switch off you brain and enjoy the over the top WTF.

----
i don't think that naota had sex tho...the most he got was turned on but actual sex? no.

mamimi (or whatever her name was) blew it, really. she's the one who rejected naota. didn't feel bad for her.

i cannot BELIEVE that out of all the comments, every single one, that no-one noted the fight! that was MINDBLOWING. gonna look at it again, definitely.

the comedy and animation made me love it from the start, but after the explaination, it really does deserve a 10. loved it, will definitely put on my rewatch list.

Tanks you all for the explanation, everything make sense now, i also fell like he hasn't had sex but i don't think anything can either refute or prove that...
Mar 31, 2016 9:48 AM

Feb 2013
The word crazy describes this anime,I didn't like anything about it.
Jun 11, 2016 8:05 AM

Feb 2015
This one got really nice obscure plot and interesting directions. 8/10 because I'm really fascinated on the artistic value.
JomsJun 11, 2016 8:08 AM
Jul 19, 2016 1:53 PM

Sep 2013
SOOOOOOO glad I'm done with this series!!!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Aug 19, 2016 1:38 PM

Feb 2015
well, not suprised to see a huge amount of haters in this forum. i can kinda understand why there are so many haters. yeah...i agree with it too, that the story looks messed up/fucked up but not to me fortunately xD well , they didn't give much detail about it, or i mean "deep detail" but for the most part, i can understand the problems.

most people said "only the soundtrack is good, the rest is shit" but not to me. "Romance" that's one of the main thing why i like flcl a lot. the romance/drama in this anime, it's not something like highschool romance drama that i have seen many times in anime or other drama shows (korean drama) but this is different. let's say....it kinda similiar to Nana. you can relate it to real life. it looks real in my eyes. that's why i like it xD

and the scene, where Takkun suddenly went OP and was flying towards Haruko, and suddenly stopped infront of her, and with a spoiled/cute face, he said "i love you" and kiss her, DAT was fucking damn sweet and cute AF. just gonna be honest here, that is the most sweet and cutest thing i have ever seen this year. i like that a lot.

Obvious there are still many question left, but rather than focusing on those questions, i mean, putting characterization and explaining about the story, they just focused on where the story is going, which makes the story cofusing as fuck xD but i like how they made it like that. and the animation. say it sucks of shit whatever you want, but i like it a lot xD fit with the atmoshere and the soundtrack imo.

and speaking about the soundtrack, yes, it was so freaking nice to hear. it makes it's own atmosphere for this anime. soundtrack play a big role too in this anime other than the story and the character imo xD and suprisingly, it fits very well to each other xD

this anime, is an example, as of why i watch anime. this anime, everything about this anime is the reason why i watch anime. simple, enjoyable, small scare (either story and character), nice soundtrack, unique/nice animation (not detail. just a simple one but enjoyable to watch), which is kinda similiar to cencoroll.

and i just realize that i like an anime that only focusing on where the story is going rather than bother focusing on the characterization and explaining what's going on. well, they put some explanation in this anime for the story too, but for the most part/overall, they focus more on where the story is going.

Overall, i enjoy this anime a lot obviously. i like it too, and it just became one of my fav anime. it went into my top 50 fav anime xD 9.5/10 from me xD
and when i heard this anime is getting a sequel.....OH SHIT!!! XD but tbh, same like many people, i'm a little bit worried about it. i hope they ain't gonna messed it up. Same staff, and studio i hope. add trigger if you can xD

"The story/drama makes it serious or looks realistic. The 'Sci-fi' makes it more fun"

LOOKING FOWARD TO THE NEXT SEASON XD!!!!!
YizelTroAug 19, 2016 1:48 PM
Aug 19, 2016 3:55 PM

Feb 2016
Not sure if this was a troll attempt to cash grab the evangelion fanbase and all the "critical" thinkers that would find meaning even in a "watching paint dry" video.. well, at least evangelion had some real meaning to it and wasn't filled with sex jokes every 30 seconds.. Story wasn't even that hard to grasp, and it was still shit.

Definitely one of the worst things I've ever seen. Last 3 episodes were watched on 2x speed.
Sep 29, 2016 7:53 PM

Jul 2014
Finally done. The good thing is that this show is so short, so I didn't waste too much time on it.

I liked this show about as much as I did on the first time, which is not very much at all. Knowing what it's about didn't add anything for me, as I still found it obnoxious and unfunny.

In the end, I didn't hate this show, I just found it pretty damn boring.

3/10

Aquamirror said:
Not sure if this was a troll attempt to cash grab the evangelion fanbase and all the "critical" thinkers that would find meaning even in a "watching paint dry" video.. well, at least evangelion had some real meaning to it and wasn't filled with sex jokes every 30 seconds.. Story wasn't even that hard to grasp, and it was still shit.

Definitely one of the worst things I've ever seen. Last 3 episodes were watched on 2x speed.

omg u just dont like it bcuz u dont understand the deep symbolism go back to watching pokemon n00b lol
D-ohnutsSep 29, 2016 9:06 PM
Oct 14, 2016 2:48 PM

Oct 2015
Great anime: 9/10
Oct 17, 2016 12:03 PM

Mar 2014
It was..... ok

I really hate the main characters

Had random stuff but no funny compare bunch of 5 minute animes that I have seen before

I understood much of the plot and the hidden stuff but it was not amazing for me

the only thing that I really liked it are the songs

5/10 I'm glad that is was just 6 episodes, it would be worse
Jan 3, 2017 3:09 PM

Jan 2016
Wow didn't expect to love this as much as i did. Really great show with an AMAZING soundtrack.
Feb 16, 2017 2:28 PM

Nov 2016
Hmm it has its pros such as unique animation, pretty crazy randomness, unique references, and that soundtrack. Cons are that it dragged a bit for me, I didn't care too much for the characters, and I didn't really laugh much. Overall it's a 7/10 for me.
Mar 17, 2017 5:36 PM

Oct 2015
Wacky and entertaining series with plenty of references and some symbolism. Good animation for its time and the soundtrack is pretty nice. Not the best thing ever and not as deep as some claim it to be, but still very good; I liked it more as it went on. Excellent dub also. 8/10
May 9, 2017 4:55 PM

Feb 2015
Eell said:
TomDay said:

What if he's right? It's all nothing but a growing mess out of a simple story.

after that long explanation, how on earth could he even be a tiny bit on point?
May 11, 2017 5:28 PM

Mar 2014
Eell said:

Yeah. I watched the last episode muted.

We would spent that time in better stuff, like doing nothing~
May 12, 2017 12:48 AM

Mar 2012
FLCL was such a landmark for me. this must be the 7th time watching it and i remembered everything i loved about it. it's funny how the story is so random and in the end i can relate with almost every character. i've been naota, mamimi and even haruko once. and every time i discover a new facet of the story which makes me like it even more.
this will be forever on my watchlist and overtime i listen to beautiful morning with you i'll be taken back to this crazy story. <3
May 12, 2017 2:40 PM

Jun 2015
I hated it but I liked it. I have mixed feelings. It was weirdly nostalgic. I have to give them credits for the songs. They were awesome.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
May 26, 2017 11:23 AM

Mar 2012
I never really liked it after watching random episodes when they aired on Adult Swim back in the day...figured why not watch the whole thing this time, and still kinda feel the same way. Had some moments, but overall...meh

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 9, 2017 12:02 PM

Apr 2014
Well, the animation was great.
Jul 11, 2017 6:47 AM

Jul 2008
So....Furi Kuri?

Yes.
Aug 27, 2017 7:44 AM

Jan 2010
Well that was wild ride. The art, both animation and music was just great. The action was awesome too. For some this can be too much, but I just love when anime is leaving me wtf expresion. I really liked characters too, altough they weren't really likeable for me at the beginning, they did change a lot through these 6 episodes. And of course whole metaphore of this series where exectued so well. Altough I feel like I didn't catch all of hints. Well I guess this is anime that must be rewacthed couple of times to fully understand what is going on. That's why for now I will give 8/10. I feel like it may change for bigger rate once I will rewatch it. For the first time it's just a little bit too messy. The metaphore and 'real' story just mix up to much. Also can't understand people who says that this anime doesn't have any story. It is so obvious that this is about maturing. I really like the fact that there are shows that trying to go beyond 'just telling the story'.
Oct 8, 2017 2:34 PM
Jul 2017
10/10, Perfection, this fucking anime was incredible, i watch that 3 times xD.
Oct 24, 2017 7:31 PM
Oct 2017
Watched this at 2008, and somehow still amazes me at 2017.
Rare instances of anime that scratches your head to simply understand what the heck is going on; I love it.

Now fingers crossed for season 2. :D
Nov 3, 2017 2:30 PM
Jul 2017
watched it like 15 times.
Nov 12, 2017 4:45 AM
Dec 2012
Second time I've watched this, still quite an experience.

S2 & S3 come at me!

Nov 29, 2017 2:50 PM

Oct 2015
What a sad separation, I see Mamimi has left town and wanted to become a photographer ( she was a lame ass character). Haru still is an unknown being, but either way she was one crazy one and I liked that.

All I can say overall it was a crazy and weird, short but well executed anime.
7/10 is my gift to it.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 14, 2017 7:25 PM

Oct 2017
Nice series! I really like it. Crazy and chaotic but also funny and enjoyable at the same time. The upbeat, energetic rock music also blends well with the main theme of this series.
Jan 16, 2018 4:06 AM

Aug 2007
This anime is super solid, from the soundtrack to the symbolism, to the unique way to tell a coming of age story. It's been a while since I've watched it, and it's weird to think that they are making a continuation since I've been content with these six episodes for ages now, but I'm pretty excited nevertheless.

7/10
Not my absolute top favorite, but up there with anime like Serial Experiment Lain, Paranoia Agent, PMMM and Alien 9.

Mar 29, 2018 7:42 AM

Nov 2011
Good! Now I'm ready to see the new FLCL series that are about to arrive. Actually, this last episode was less illogical than the previous ones. In the end the explanation was there on the story, so despite the season finale is open, I did not stay with a handful of flies at the end of this anime series.

7.90/10
Apr 1, 2018 7:22 AM
Feb 2016
I just finished this anime for the first time @_@ it was good but I’m still confused
7/10
i understood but didn’t at the same time, weird but in a good way
clown president general plue
Apr 13, 2018 4:59 AM

Sep 2017
The edning wie hav eall meen wating dir. It esplwaines wcerything.

Nope, this sjow still suckes. The fac that this is rated highly seaks volumes abou the world's tastes in anume.

Thank gor this wac wnly 6 episodms. If it fwa nore, I would habr given up on lfie.

Fter watching thw sjiw, I was like:

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Apr 14, 2018 8:30 PM
Mar 2018
Why the fuck is this anime rated 8.00 when it sucks? Like, what
May 23, 2018 12:01 PM

Feb 2018
Well, that was weird. Although pretty interesting overall, definitely worth a rewatch. 6/10 so far, but I am sure it will rise after a rewatch.
Badass music, tho.
Sep 10, 2018 4:48 PM

May 2018
Okay, I'm done with my rewatch and leave it at 4/10 as before. Plus the things I wrote in the episode 1 discussion still stands.
FLCL is nothing else than a big promotional video for "The Pillows" and to show off Production I.G.'s versatility. In those aspects it can shine. However, story, characters and presentation range from below average to absolute abysmal.
Dec 26, 2018 4:34 PM

Dec 2018
I think the last few episodes have done a great service to this series
however, many questions are left.
The art, and sounds are absolutely 10/10
it's the story and characters that leave me dumbfounded
I give it a high 7, low 8.
Jan 6, 2019 9:34 AM

Dec 2018
I have a lot of issues with this series but I will give it high marks on music, voice acting, animation, and that's about it.

The story itself made some sense, but it really delivered nothing.

It's like SoL but instead of Moe you get sexual frustration and the things I listed above. The characters might be why. I just don't give a shit about any of them.

A poor story that was superbly executed.
Jan 20, 2019 5:46 AM

Sep 2018
I really don't understand! Why is this overrated? The only good thing here is the soundtrack.. i don't like it and i don't understand it. Please explain why is it good?
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

babykeiji - Mar 5, 2008

241 by assafMALuser »»
Apr 23, 9:02 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Sep 22, 2008

113 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 25, 10:01 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Sep 22, 2008

125 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 25, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Sep 21, 2008

133 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 25, 9:16 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Piroko - Apr 28, 2008

148 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 22, 7:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.