Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (21) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 14, 2010 3:42 AM

Feb 2010
I think it was Nagato that has the original powers...

I'll be showing it in spoilers...But this pics will leave questions unanswered..

Touka's Argument

Altering the "world"

After Altering

After "reborn"

Please comment....I'm also confused and correct me if I got it wrong (no trolls please)...
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Apr 14, 2010 4:07 AM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Absolutely love Yuki and Kyon in this movie.

Apr 14, 2010 7:35 AM

Oct 2008
Ok first of all the movie was incredibly drawn out, the first half or so seemed to be going in slow motion. There were also a lot of WTF moments, like the stabbing at the end. But apart from that this movie was frickin awesome, the last 40 minutes were the best I've seen for a while, the whole finale was done perfectly (no shit). Loved Kyon's commentary even more than the series during this movie. The movie also got me thinking to how the creators are kinda sending a question out to us lol: would we, if given the choice chose a world with time travellers, espers and aliens as opposed to the one we live in right now; is our world really that plain and simple?

But meh whatever, overall I rate this movie 9/10, only lost marks from me due to the dragged out beginning.

Also I missed something, how did Kyon know about John Smith in the first place again?
Apr 14, 2010 8:18 AM

Oct 2009
Manifest said:
Also I missed something, how did Kyon know about John Smith in the first place again?

What might you mean? He's the one that told Haruhi from three years ago that his name was John Smith, when he was helping her with "I am here!". Have you watched the first episode in second season, Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody?
Apr 14, 2010 8:33 AM

Feb 2010
Manifest said:
Ok first of all the movie was incredibly drawn out, the first half or so seemed to be going in slow motion. There were also a lot of WTF moments, like the stabbing at the end. But apart from that this movie was frickin awesome, the last 40 minutes were the best I've seen for a while, the whole finale was done perfectly (no shit). Loved Kyon's commentary even more than the series during this movie. The movie also got me thinking to how the creators are kinda sending a question out to us lol: would we, if given the choice chose a world with time travellers, espers and aliens as opposed to the one we live in right now; is our world really that plain and simple?

But meh whatever, overall I rate this movie 9/10, only lost marks from me due to the dragged out beginning.

he is John Smith...

Refer to Episode 1 of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Apr 14, 2010 8:41 AM

Dec 2007
Touka said:
I think you guys are misunderstanding me. I understand all that, but why was Yuki able to take Haruhi's power? How was she able to do this? It's bugging me so much because, as previously stated, the Data Overmind doesn't even know much about Haruhi's power so it doesn't make sense that Yuki can take it so easily just like that.

Yuki is specialized in analyzing data. Haruhi once change and rewrote the world once. Remember the 1st season where she changed the world and only Kyon and Haruhi were left? Yuki analyzed it and replicated her power.

EDIT:

Oh I forgot to say how epic this movie was. The movie was epic =).
Apr 14, 2010 9:54 AM

Jan 2010
"..ves you"
Apr 14, 2010 12:39 PM

Apr 2009
just awesome - no more words needed
Apr 14, 2010 1:26 PM

May 2008
This was AWESOME!!!
Apr 14, 2010 9:41 PM

Jan 2008
This movie is perfect, Yuki is so cute here.

Apr 14, 2010 11:07 PM

Feb 2010
Day2Dream said:
Touka said:
I think you guys are misunderstanding me. I understand all that, but why was Yuki able to take Haruhi's power? How was she able to do this? It's bugging me so much because, as previously stated, the Data Overmind doesn't even know much about Haruhi's power so it doesn't make sense that Yuki can take it so easily just like that.

Yuki is specialized in analyzing data. Haruhi once change and rewrote the world once. Remember the 1st season where she changed the world and only Kyon and Haruhi were left? Yuki analyzed it and replicated her power.

EDIT:

Oh I forgot to say how epic this movie was. The movie was epic =).

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?? Show us something that proves that Yuki replicated Haruhi's powers...

Apr 15, 2010 12:41 AM

Apr 2009

I wish I could go see it.

Ah well.
Apr 15, 2010 3:09 AM

Feb 2010
please no trolls...hurry up and delete it.

Apr 15, 2010 6:09 AM

Dec 2007
Cashdaxxx said:
Do you have any idea what you're talking about?? Show us something that proves that Yuki replicated Haruhi's powers...

I read all the novels... pretty sure it was mentioned in one of them. Got it from memory. I'll try and find it for you.
Apr 15, 2010 11:32 AM

Oct 2007
Touka said:
infinite_zero said:
Think of the original world, and the alternative world as parallel strips. By rewriting the world, Nagato effectively skewed the flow towards the other parallel line. By stopping her from rewriting, time merely remained flowing on its original parallel line, without crossing over into another line. Or something. Time is a tricky thing to understand.

I was wondering this too and so far nobody has been able to provide me with a valid answer that explains how this is possible. To me it just looks like a contradictory plot hole that was created when they wanted to give Yuki the spotlight. I found the same problem when I read the novel as well and am not surprised in the slightest that it wasn't rectified for the movie seeing as how Kyoani is only capable of copying everything verbatim and incapable of doing anything on their own without having their hand held (and held hostage I might add) by source material.
Apr 15, 2010 12:24 PM

Oct 2009
Day2Dream said:
Cashdaxxx said:

I read all the novels... pretty sure it was mentioned in one of them. Got it from memory. I'll try and find it for you.

Oh, I would like to know that too.
Apr 15, 2010 12:27 PM
Nov 2009
I don't want to join the confusing theories thingimajig 'cause it makes things more complicated while the movie perfectly delivered what was needed.

Anyways just want to comment on how this movie epicly moved to the number 1 spot for anime movies here in animelist. That's just about how many days? Amazing.
Apr 15, 2010 1:21 PM

Jul 2008
Day2Dream said:

Fair enough Yuki can analyse the data collected but surely she couldn't replicate it unless she already had powers like Haruhi in the first place. Haruhi's powers are what created the data, it doesn't work vice versa. It just wouldn't (and doesn't) make sense.

Unless someone can explain this mess I'm going to agree with Kaioshin_Sama. So far it appears to be a major plot hole, which is unfortunate because (for me) that spoils the movie somewhat. It's a shame because people usually mess up the time travel aspects of a film (or novel), but they were all pretty much spot on in Disappearence. However, the most important part of the plot (Yuki being able to alter the world) just doesn't make sense.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Apr 15, 2010 3:35 PM

Jul 2007
Haylias said:

I wish I could go see it.

Ah well.

Yay, licensed?

I want Gundam popcorn bags.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Apr 15, 2010 7:29 PM

Dec 2009
Amazing movie! I cant pick between the old yuki or the new yuki!
Apr 16, 2010 3:43 AM

May 2009
Touka said:
Day2Dream said:

Fair enough Yuki can analyse the data collected but surely she couldn't replicate it unless she already had powers like Haruhi in the first place. Haruhi's powers are what created the data, it doesn't work vice versa. It just wouldn't (and doesn't) make sense.

Unless someone can explain this mess I'm going to agree with Kaioshin_Sama. So far it appears to be a major plot hole, which is unfortunate because (for me) that spoils the movie somewhat. It's a shame because people usually mess up the time travel aspects of a film (or novel), but they were all pretty much spot on in Disappearence. However, the most important part of the plot (Yuki being able to alter the world) just doesn't make sense.

This annoyed me too though i still absolutely love the movie, I hope it's covered later on.
Some theories I came up with trying to explain it were;
Yuki really does have that much power but the integrated data system isn't able to evolve and think Haruhi holds the answer so they just observe her (also the possibility Yuki isn't created by Haruhi in the first place). I also think Mikuru may be wrong about Yuki stealing Haruhi's power and Yuki just has that much power herself and created the new reality, but to do so they both had to lose their powers.
Another possibility though very very unlikely is Yuki created the world just for Kyon because she loves him and that everyone else was still in their normal reality, not because she wanted to be a normal girl but because she wanted Kyon to be happy. Kyon was in a coma in the normal reality but really in his own world created for him while in the coma. This of course would mean when he goes back to "save his former self" Yuki would have to create the scenario again so Kyon can't figure out what really happened.

Well I presume that if it hasn't already been mentioned in the novels it will be done so soon, well more hope, but whatever.
Apr 16, 2010 5:27 PM

Apr 2009
The problem of Yuki's powers (assuming that Haruhi is really an omnipotent God, since it was questioned by many according to various "clues" in the novels) is the instance of centuries-old philosophical question: "Is the omnipotent God able to create a stone such heavy that even He won't be able to lift it?". Apparently, Nagaru Tanigawa thinks that the answer is "yes", and thus Yuki (who was created by Haruhi) has as much power that she was able to deprive her creator of all the power.
Apr 16, 2010 5:31 PM

Oct 2009
wtf its #1 since when!!! and is this subbed already???
Apr 17, 2010 5:31 AM

Feb 2010
BLeakXBuRSTX19 said:

it's floating around the ned....subbed by Mazui....

I'll hunt your IP and punch you in the face through your monitor if you can't find it....

Apr 17, 2010 6:13 AM

Oct 2009
Cashdaxxx said:
BLeakXBuRSTX19 said:

I'll hunt your IP and punch you in the face through your monitor if you can't find it....

yeah i actually found it like 5 minutes after posting that yesterday but i only saw the first 15 min because i rather wait for a dvd rip to come out
Apr 17, 2010 7:32 AM

Feb 2010
BLeakXBuRSTX19 said:
Cashdaxxx said:
BLeakXBuRSTX19 said:

yeah i actually found it like 5 minutes after posting that yesterday but i only saw the first 15 min because i rather wait for a dvd rip to come out

hahaha...but the camrip can still glue you to your seat....even I dislike of watching it when I downloaded it from the net..

Apr 17, 2010 9:25 AM

Jun 2009
Holy. Fucking. Shit. That movie was fucking great. I didn't expect much since you know, it's Haruhi but I am simply stunned at how good this is. I don't know if it deserves the top spot but it's definitely in the top 10.

9/10
Apr 17, 2010 10:15 AM
Mar 2008
Too much technobabble shit for my tastes, but that's Haruhi for you.
Decent movie, nothing more. 6/10.
Apr 17, 2010 12:14 PM
Apr 2009
It was a good movie, but one thing bothered me.
I won't mention what it is just because I'm pretty sure it only bothered me because I'd read the light novel before seeing the movie -- they took a few liberties & tweaked a few things which is okay.

I will say though -- it was refreshing to see Kyon deliver monologues w/o his usual air of 'why me' ... the character development in the movie was top-notch.
Apr 17, 2010 5:48 PM

Feb 2008
I enjoyed this even more than the two regular series, but the cam quality was unbearable at times. Its length was a bit of a problem for me too since it took up my entire night. Not used to watching one thing for over two and a half hours without taking a break. But hey, more content isn't necessarily a bad thing.

So it gets an 8 from me. Hopefully we can see more of the series soon.
Apr 18, 2010 8:50 PM

Feb 2010
lollypatrolly said:
Damn... I downloaded that camrip, and got to watch around 10 seconds before turning it off in disgust. No way I'm going through that, no matter how good it could turn out to be.

I'm like that when I downloaded it.....just watch it, you'll be glued to your seat..

Apr 18, 2010 11:05 PM

Aug 2009
It is so Freaking Amazing!!!!!! Even the crappy cam rip, couldnt hold back the epicness of the movie. It was Yuki's time to shine.
All we need is the blu-ray version to come out to see its truly supposed to be seen, 1080p FTW!!!!

Apr 20, 2010 3:45 PM

Aug 2008
game8910 said:
Meddigo said:
game8910 said:
Meddigo said:
Cashdaxxx said:
Everything was explained in that movie

Why was there a large case of influenza/cold going around in the changed world that wasn't in Kyon's original world? That was never explained, and actually turned out to be rather extraneous and pretty stupid.

The cold was used as a device to let Kyon know that something was not the same from the world he came from the day before, that was the sole reason for it.
Just because there was a cold it doesnt mean that there must be some conspiracy or some higher meaning to it, it was only a way to tell the viewer and Kyon that things were not the way they used to be.

So his friend not having a girlfriend and Asakura showing up in Haruhi's spot just weren't enough clues?

Just how mentally handicapped are the readers of the Haruhi light novels?

Just how bad are you at understanding things? This has nothing to do with the readers not understanding that the world changed...everyone knew things were not going to be ok as soon as Kyon woke up, he himself says something along the lines of "The next day, I was thrown into the abyss of fear", of course things are not going to be ok, the cold, the missing date, are just how author was showing how things were starting to be different. This is not about the reader's incapacity to see the world changing, the original question was you asking why they didnt explain why there was a cold, and there is no need for an explanation...the cold is just a cover story that Nagato created when she rewrote the world along with all memories from a year before, there is nothing more to it.

I was just wondering about the cold and I actually do think there is more to it. I thought that the cold was not just a device plot/cover story considering almost everyone in the "normal" world caught it. At the time when Yuki recreated the world she had bugs (or errors). Well, I thought that since she herself has numerous bugs then the people in the world that she recreated would reflect that by having a bug but in this case a cold.

Now, this is where I go deeper and you'll probaly say "that's too steep, you're over-analyzing it. The cold is just a cover story, etc. etc."

Notice in the recreated world how everyone from the SOS brigade (Kyon, Yuki, Asahina, Haruhi and Koizumi) or those that are related to the SOS brigade (Kyon's sister, Tsuruya and Asakura) don't get the cold. Meaning Kyon, Asahina, Tsuruya, Kyon's sister and the new Yuki don't get the cold. Also, Asakura "just recovers" from the cold; and from the given information in the movie, Haruhi and Koizumi don't get it either.

By the end of the movie we know that these bugs/errors inside Yuki are actually emotions. Yuki as shown in the first season remains emotionless to everyone that she interacts with but as time went on and as the movie explains, Yuki developed these emotions for everyone in the SOS brigade but was unable to show them; This is the reason why the people in the SOS brigade and those that are related to the SOS brigade don't get the cold; Yuki is trying to keep those emotions/bugs/errors away from them and has to hide these emotions. Although in the newly created world Yuki herself shows emotions, I believe that she still doesn't express them all and hides them. Where would she hide the remainder of her emotions/bugs? She hid them in almost everyone in the new world she didn't have emotions for, thus they would get a cold/bug.

Please feel free to rip my arguement apart. Don't get me wrong I still think the cold was a cover story for Yuki but there is also an underlying reason as to why there was a cold in the "normal" world.
"Those of us who have the dreams and the passion to be able to overturn common sense are the strongest" Kuroyanagi Ryo, Yakitate Japan! Episode 24.

"Lelouch Vi Britannia commands you, all of you, to die!" -Lelouch Lamperouge

Apr 25, 2010 8:43 AM

Nov 2008
Can I watch this movie without watching the second season?
Apr 25, 2010 10:36 AM

Aug 2009
Chantille said:
Can I watch this movie without watching the second season?

You need to watch the first episode of Haruhi 2009 to understand a big part of this movie.
That's the Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody episode.

If you want to fully understand this movie, you have to finish Haruhi 2009. If you think you won't stand Endless Eight, then watch the first, second and last episode of Endless Eight. The last 5 episodes (Sigh of Haruhi) are amazing, I highly recommend those.

Anyway, it's your choice. The first episode is a must, though.
Apr 25, 2010 4:26 PM

Apr 2010
It's a 10 in my book.
Apr 26, 2010 12:00 AM

Nov 2007
I"m not much of Haruhi's series fan. However, I found this movie to be quite awesome from the beginning to the end. The title may calls "The disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi" but I thought Nagato is the one who stole the show =)
Apr 28, 2010 4:31 PM

Jan 2009
The real locations sliced with anime was a awesome touch.
Apr 28, 2010 7:04 PM

Nov 2007
AlliedG said:
The real locations sliced with anime was a awesome touch.

no, they looked real but it was actually all drawn, no real photos used at all
Apr 28, 2010 11:41 PM

Apr 2009
Ah, I almost gave into the camrip. Just when I got about 15min into it, I realized I was watching Back to the Future and Futurama. Looks like I'll end up waiting for a quality release after all.
Apr 29, 2010 4:08 AM

Oct 2009
I've come to like Kyon's coat. That green color is now my favorite, and that turquoise scarf goes perfectly with it.
May 2, 2010 6:56 PM

May 2009
The movie was awesome combining all the parts of the first and second season for a plot twist was brilliant i loved how the story progressed and how it changed a good portion of the story line and also Haruhi didn't look that bad in that school uniform :P and also yay it reminded me of back to the future with all of them in the same time plane xD
May 3, 2010 11:06 AM

Jan 2010
I'm still impressed by how absolutely frightening Asakura Ryouko managed to be. Even having read the novel, the music at that point combined with the animation managed to reach a level near terrifying, even with her appearance being otherwise nonthreatening.
May 7, 2010 8:48 PM

Aug 2007
I gave in and watched the camrip... It was completely worth it, since I wasn't expecting this to be so good. I loved every second of this pretty much~ Kyon's narration throughout was great and I really felt sorry for Nagato, which is such a switch because I usually don't like her much. Very sweet ending.
May 10, 2010 4:34 AM

Mar 2009
Very good, I almost cried T_T. It would be better if Haruhi does not appear at all ...
May 10, 2010 3:20 PM

Apr 2008
Great movie. A big improvement on the second series.

Btw, has anyone else read this?
May 11, 2010 4:29 PM
Dec 2007
So basically, it all boils down to this question : will Kyon chose Haruhi's world or Yuki's world, or to be more accurate, does he prefer Haruhi or Yuki ? As we all knew since the beginning of the series, he'll always chose Haruhi, and that's precisely what he does. Well, that's great, but don't you find that 2h41 is a bit long to achieve just that ? The big problems of this movie are its extraordinary length (among the hundreds of animation movies I've seem in my life, it's by far the longest - second one being Mononoke Hime, which is "only" 2h13) which unfortunately diluted the script among endless empty scenes, the dullness of its direction and the lack of soundtrack. All that resulting in a really boring movie, with quite good - even though most of the times expected - developments and some great scenes, but far too inconsistant to be considered up to par with the first series. And it's clearly missing the spice of the Haruhi universe... well, the Haruhi character, who must have less than 15 minutes screentime in the whole movie. And I didn't particularly liked the extensive use of Kyon's inner thoughts voice over, since basically everything is narrated from beginning to end. I understand how it could be useful in the action-packed episodes of the series to take some shortcuts or explain what's going on, or simply for comedic purposes, but a movie composed mainly of voice overs for more than one hour and a half is really painful to watch overall.

To sum up part of what I think about this "Dissapearance of Haruhi Suzumiya", it's for me kind of a dissapointment and probably the weakest thing created in the anime franchise. Even though there were some remarkable aspects to it, I feel it's really overrated for now on MAL, and it will slowly go down in ratings as soon as "normal" anime fans start to watch it and Haruhi freaks make up a smaller amount of the votes.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 14, 2010 1:39 PM

May 2010
I really didn't expect much of it, but you can say I am relieved how this turned out to be. It was really good, I can finally understand the rating of this movie. Truly worth the watch, awesome! (:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2010 3:45 AM

Nov 2009
hey... you guys actually watched thew camrip?

May 15, 2010 7:26 AM

Oct 2009
rizZ06 said:
hey... you guys actually watched thew camrip?

What do you think? Yup, all two thousand of us, with minor exceptions. It's not hard to believe, the camrip shows actual footage, and it's for those of us who cannot stand to wait.

The quality is outstanding. Google it.
NaratchiMay 16, 2010 12:19 AM
Pages (21) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Kyon's decision (spoilers)

NDskies - Sep 19, 2023

17 by honyax »»
Feb 25, 1:41 AM

» Haruhi Suzumiya will have an official announcement soon…

Yuri_Niji - Dec 17, 2023

18 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 12, 2:51 AM

» Wow that was a great movie!

Zoopiez - Jun 28, 2022

18 by anizawa89 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:11 PM

» This movie is Amazing

randomuser47 - Feb 26, 2023

19 by Recprocate »»
Sep 24, 2023 3:17 AM

» Ending … [spoilers ahead]

nomnomnori - Mar 3, 2019

8 by User-Name »»
Jun 7, 2023 4:46 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.