Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 6, 2012 12:19 PM

Feb 2012
Moonfrost said:
Damn those greedy ass merchants. Why won't they give Lawrence a hand. He's in a pinch.

Seeing as how Lawrence is one of those "greedy ass merchants" for buying 100 Lumione worth of a commodity he didn't a full understanding of...
Apr 8, 2012 1:08 AM

Dec 2011
Boring episode. All that drama was really annoying.
May 22, 2012 12:28 PM

Jan 2012
I knew they had to deal with bad conflict at some point D: darn it.

Holo is just too cute to be yelled at Lawrence, you can do this!
Sep 28, 2012 3:59 AM

May 2012
What an unfortunate story in this episode, I do hope he'll be fine in the end!
Oct 11, 2012 5:09 AM

May 2012
Well, actually when Lawrence pushed Horo, I kinda lost my compassion toward him. Besides that - very good ep.
Feb 8, 2013 2:22 AM

Feb 2011
Frustrating episode , I could feel Lawrence's anxiety , hope it turns out well .
Apr 6, 2013 5:32 PM

Dec 2012
Such a tragic episode. I was on the edge of my seat for the entire second half.
May 4, 2013 3:31 AM

Jan 2013
Wahhh, the inevitable fight and separating of the two.
It was understandable though
May 11, 2013 8:31 PM

Jan 2013
Lawrence got himself into a lot of trouble with this deal. Now his entire livelihood is at stake. It sucks that no one would help him even after his previous dealings with him. I guess the merchant society during this time was harsh like that.

It was great to see how Holo supported him throughout instead of going back to the inn like he initially asked. I kind of saw the shove coming but it still was sad to see. One thing that really shows the maturity of Holo is that she doesn't just run away - she says she will return to the inn - the one that they are both staying in. R. Lawrence was completely shocked that he did something like that. eally liking both of their characters. Let's see how they patch up both situations.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
May 13, 2013 3:14 PM

Apr 2013
This looks bad for Lawrence. I felt so sorry for him. He helped all of those merchants in the past and now they wont even listen to him. But i didn't expect him to yell at Horo.
I hope he can find a way out of this situation.
Nov 15, 2013 4:43 AM

Jul 2013
This ep had me quite confused. I couldn't follow a lot of it and I never really understood what was happening when he traded away his pepper.

Poor Lawrence has jerkasses as friends. Horo is actually so cute but her attitude and voice switches inconsistently. I like wise and proud Horo better.
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
- Doflamingo
Dec 19, 2013 3:19 PM

Jan 2013
Winter said:
Saorin said:
I didn't find Lawrence hitting Horo all that outrageous. ...it was rather a shove, hm? o.o

I mean o.O I don't approve of beating up women. xD Urgs. That's not what I meant at all!

It's just...he is in a grave situation (yup, partially his own fault) and even though Horo might have had good intentions, she was not really helping / in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Plus, Lawrence asked her beforehand to stay at the inn so she wouldn't have to endure his desperation after all...

Little Horo fanboys & -girls: remember that Horo can be quite nasty, too xD So let's all forgive poor Lawrence~

Oh, but he apologized and realized it was totally wrong. They'll probably make up, too.

Exactly. Honestly, everyone is talking like he back slapped her to the ground and started beating the crap out of her when all he did was shove her aside. While he did overreact, one little shove is nothing compared to Horo constantly pinching/stomping on him. Not to mention he is freaking out royally right now. He barely seems like the type to hit a man, let along a woman in his right mind.

I actually thought he took everything rather well. I was honestly expecting him to go into a very loud, very dramatic rant about how everything was her fault, which he started to but stopped right away because he's that nice of a guy. It's not like he's wrong by saying it's Horo's fault (not entirely, but she hasn't helped), so that fact that he's not as angry at her as he could be is admirable.

I agree with you guys!
no
Dec 22, 2013 3:06 AM
Nov 2013
Glub said:
Boring episode. All that drama was really annoying.
You are aware that this series is a *drama* right? Dramas tend to contain a lot of drama, hence the name.
Jan 5, 2014 6:24 PM

Aug 2013
Woah, I didn't saw that coming. Being ruined like that.

It's really like the whole town was conspiring against him...

Sad Holo is really sad :(
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 26, 2014 1:45 AM

Aug 2012
That was intense!

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Jun 4, 2014 10:26 PM

Jul 2013
LOL Lawrence was acting like a tsundere in here, rather if he likes Nora or Holo. So he is now in dept because of the armor market was crashed, seems like he has two days to pay off his dept. Looks like a challenge to him.

This is looking bad now...

Sep 24, 2014 2:06 PM

Jun 2014
He fucked up big times.
Oct 13, 2014 11:52 PM

Oct 2013
YIKES. This was a REALLY intense episode. I didn't actually understand how big of a debt Lawrence was in until that one guy told Lawrence what would happen if he didn't pay it. Ten years mining, wasn't it? For 47 Lumiones? That has to be worth hundreds of thousands in current currency conversion. o___o

After that, I began to really feel Lawrence's anxiety. Things are looking very terrible, indeed. That guy at the end who told Lawrence off just because he had a woman with him made me want to sock him in the mouth.

I have no idea why people are on Lawrence's ass for shoving Holo; with a debt that large and the increasing realization there's nothing he can do about it, it's very clear he'd snap. I highly doubt anybody in RL wouldn't do the same thing. As others have said, it's not like he actually hit her. fukkin white knights on MAL smh

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 19, 2014 10:01 PM

Nov 2011
Lawrence and Holo were very cute in this episode. It's too bad it didn't last.

I've said it before, but the drama in this show is really, really good. Lawrence's frustration is completely understandable, and the old-world setting is playing heavily into his predicament. While Holo was previously helpful in business, in his time of need Holo is seen as a mockery of his predicament. "If he can take care of that fancily dressed girl, why is he asking me for money?" What a brilliant plot and character tool.

If the world was sunshine and rainbows, Lawrence would have stood up for Holo at the end. It wouldn't have been very believable, though: It takes a strong person to remain firm under such circumstances, and to be honest he probably handled himself better than most would anyway; on the upside, said pressure can make one into a better person depending on how it plays out.

Loving it. This is great.
Nov 26, 2014 10:58 PM

Sep 2014
A quick, sweet moment for Holo and Lawrence at the start.. You gotta love those scenes~

Lawrence is in a serious pinch.. It's affecting his relationship with Holo as well.. I don't blame him for shoving her though.. If you're in a desperate situation and you're thoughts are all mixed up then you're bound to rage one way or another.. Truth be told, he his handling the situation fairly well unlike others.. I just hope he finds a way to repay the debt so things would be stable again..

Winter said:
Saorin said:
I didn't find Lawrence hitting Horo all that outrageous. ...it was rather a shove, hm? o.o

I mean o.O I don't approve of beating up women. xD Urgs. That's not what I meant at all!

It's just...he is in a grave situation (yup, partially his own fault) and even though Horo might have had good intentions, she was not really helping / in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Plus, Lawrence asked her beforehand to stay at the inn so she wouldn't have to endure his desperation after all...

Little Horo fanboys & -girls: remember that Horo can be quite nasty, too xD So let's all forgive poor Lawrence~

Oh, but he apologized and realized it was totally wrong. They'll probably make up, too.

Exactly. Honestly, everyone is talking like he back slapped her to the ground and started beating the crap out of her when all he did was shove her aside. While he did overreact, one little shove is nothing compared to Horo constantly pinching/stomping on him. Not to mention he is freaking out royally right now. He barely seems like the type to hit a man, let along a woman in his right mind.

I actually thought he took everything rather well. I was honestly expecting him to go into a very loud, very dramatic rant about how everything was her fault, which he started to but stopped right away because he's that nice of a guy. It's not like he's wrong by saying it's Horo's fault (not entirely, but she hasn't helped), so that fact that he's not as angry at her as he could be is admirable.

Same sentiments..
Jan 1, 2015 5:53 PM
Dec 2014
I think Lawrence and Horo should have started a war in order to increase the price of arms. Have Horo turn into a wolf and attack the city for example. Or strike a deal with mercenaries to create conflict. Muhahahaha!!! That is what Lelouch or Light Yagami would do at least.
Feb 6, 2015 3:19 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
They're really cornered which makes for some intense drama. Lawrence got greedy with the armour business and as result he'll have to come up with something really smart to get the money to pay up.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 13, 2015 4:13 PM

Mar 2012
That's some insane amount of stress he's going through....
May 2, 2015 10:28 AM
Nov 2014
Poor Lawrence, damn he got screwed hard by that trade. He will never see that one coming though, that ending ;_; poor Horo.
May 7, 2015 1:48 PM

Feb 2013
Damn, Lawrence really got screwed over, it seems he gambled pretty much everything on that deal he made. So basically if he can't pay it back in 2 days he'll have to do slave labor for the next 10 years, that's really horrible :/.

Also did that last guy really deny giving him a loan just because he had a girl with him? What? That has to be the dumbest thing Ive ever heard, what a dickhead. He can take his god and shove it as far as I'm concerned.

That ending was really sad though, poor Holo :(. Although I can't really blame Lawrence for snapping like that, considering the situation hes in. I feel really bad for both of them :(.
Nov 29, 2015 9:19 PM
Jul 2012
It seems that part of the problem is that he is in a town ruled by the church which would have had very traditional views on relationships between men and women (This takes place in an medieval era) and everyone under such rule would also be followers of its teachings. So in their eyes being with a women that isn't your wife probably means that you are flaunting your money with women. (It was a male oriented society) And to have the nerve to beg for money when you are spending it on"pleasures" and not even bothering to hide it. Hence why many of them not only turned him down, but was also quite harsh with him. (A modern equivalent would almost be like broke gambling addict begging for money while carrying lottery/horse racing tickets around)

As for his lashing out and Holo's reaction, I feel that it was to be expected. Lawrence was at the end of his ropes and could mean he has to spend his next ten years (Given this is medieval era, their life expectancy was probably to late 50-60) a significant portion of his live doing back breaking labor of which he might not even survive only to come back out with nothing afterwards and having to start over from scratch. I'm surprised that he was able to not only stop himself with only that little outburst but also felt bad about it immediately after. Goes to show how nice a person he is and how much he valued his relationship with Holo. As for Holo's reaction, it shows how angry she was, not towards Lawrence, but towards herself for not realizing the situation earlier. Holo is usually very good at reading these situations and doing what is beneficial to them. But in her desire to want to help him, she ended up doing Lawrence more harm than good, and failed to realize it until Lawrence got rejected so many times.

I actually find the reactions for the characters to be very realistic to their characters and that's one of the reasons i like this series. Lawrence is nice, but still has a point after which he snaps. Holo is mature enough to not just run off in tears, but keen enough to understand the situation and know that they won't get anywhere if she continued to insist on helping.
Dec 19, 2015 10:37 AM

Aug 2014
I hope the ending will be good .
Jan 3, 2016 3:55 PM
Jan 2016
Damn I feel so bad for Lawrence and for Horo too!!
Mar 7, 2016 4:55 PM

Feb 2012
That's cold blooded.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 13, 2016 4:30 PM

Dec 2014
Hmm, so far i loved the anime, up to my expectations.

Though, i dont understand shit about economics, so i get pretty confused every now and then. What i want to ask is this

I assume that in this case Lawrence was unlucky, he got tricked, but do you buy stuff on credit so lightly? From someone who tried to trick you? It does sound very off to me, considering how clever Lawrence is.
Jan 29, 2017 1:59 PM

Mar 2016
Okay, so Lawrence's greed got the better of him when he gained leverage against the merchant at Latopeiron. He went and bought arms worth 100 lumiones for half price technically meaning he borrowed 50 coins after having gained profit from the pepper, but now the arms market collapsed and the arms are worth nothing making his overall debt 47 3/4 coins and his plans to sell the arms at the good price that can repay the debt and land some profit turn into a failure . The debt has been transferred to the company in the city whom he intended to sell the arms to i suppose .

I'm really digging this anime though it makes me realize how much I lack knowledge in economics , well i didn't do very well on one of my economics courses lol I love the character dynamic between Holo and Lawrence . Too bad ep ended like that .
Shishou_23Jan 29, 2017 2:04 PM
Sep 25, 2017 12:29 AM

Sep 2016
damn it all went downhill all those prejudice businessman not 1 wishes to help Lawrence and man at the end i would apologize to holo a million times giving my heart to only you baby
Facta Non Verba
Dec 5, 2017 9:32 AM

May 2015
He deserved it for his greed.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 9, 2019 12:42 PM

Nov 2016
It was just a matter of time till Lawrence would fuck up, but holy shit, he really did hard.

And changes aren't limited to business alone. The contrast between the interaction with Holo from the beginning of the episode to the end,tho...feels bad :(

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 30, 2019 8:58 AM

Apr 2013
I don't even understand what happened, somehow his armor lost its value and now he's also in debt to the church? I just understood that Holo isn't very useful so far.
Dec 4, 2019 11:58 AM
Apr 2016
Ouch, the situation is looking pale, very unfortunate. I was afraid he'd accidentally say something terrible to Holo, and I was right...
Dec 15, 2019 1:35 PM
Jul 2016
Why did Lawrence invest so much into getting that armor? A good trader knows to diversify his holding so as to reduce his overall risk.

It was a fool hardy play especially when you don't have access to up to date information on the market. As there is no form of telecommunication in this world, the market can easily change while travelling between towns which takes days.

I'm shocked that he did, seems he still has a lot more to learn and indeed he did let greed get the better of him. Hopefully a hard lesson learned.
Jul 1, 2020 4:34 AM
Dec 2017
Such a great episode. Really had me on edge.
Aug 17, 2020 9:15 PM

May 2019
Well, the only "odd" thing is that Lawrence and the plot are all set in a harsh not-so-romanticized medieval merchant life... And you have a F* Deity Wolf Monster at your side, pretending it is nothing. "Just my RomCom friend/lover"

No, it is not! Think in a solution with this monster playing, come on! It is your life in the game.

On other hand... i think that his relation with Horo is nothing but unstable, unsustainable. That is a ship that dont convince me.

She is full of charms, but at the same time she is 600 years old and has crossed like this with dozen times more men than Lawrence has crossed in all his merchant life. She had the same relation with many, already forgotten by her, or even who become her dinner. In short: they are not compatible. A nice life with a simple girl like Nora would be best.

SURE the plot of this anime is made to deny this logic, but we cant ignore the facts. I wish luck for Lawren-san, and lets see how he manages to get out of that situation.
Rob7Aug 18, 2020 9:54 PM
Oct 4, 2020 12:20 AM

Jun 2020
that was so sad to watch when holo couldn't keep up with lawrence & he just kept going under so much stress, and yet she still tried her best to keep up to this "pace" - that was a pretty cinematic moment & evoked some emotions in me, sometimes relationships are like that, would you let your partner share your burden or are you going to keep everything to yourself, or even worse, feel that your partner contributes to that burden/even blame him/her.

this drama weaved in nicely to the narrative, really enjoying spice and wolf!

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Jan 23, 2021 12:41 PM

Jul 2017
His world came crashing down so quickly this episode, from optimistic about potentially getting a shop not too long ago and spending money in a non-frugal manner for Holo, to being in debt pretty damn quickly with the crash of the armory market due to his greed. Didn't help him when he requested for help and loans, no merchant would help him out due to him bringing a woman with her, which would relate to more of a cultural thing in that particular town they were in, especially given how they aren't a married couple. He lashed out on her at the end but I can't blame him, even though he was still largely at fault for the whole predicament. The guy's fell so hard so quickly, with not much time to cover a large amount of debt seemingly on his own, with useless armor equipment as one of the only things he currently has. Interesting to see how he digs himself out of this hole, especially with his relationship with Holo since it didn't look great, even if she was not as broken as other anime heroines would be after that.
May 2, 2021 2:13 PM

Jul 2019
He simply lacked research. Fatal mistake spending that much on armory without knowing the demands. Now he has to look for help but no progress so far. If my acquaintance come to my house to ask for money while bringing a girl (not family) with him to help pay his debts I'd be skeptical as well like man are you seriously in need or not, its shameless. During that era its probably seen as unethical, in addition its quite a religious society. Interesting what will happen now.
Jun 27, 2021 5:52 AM

Nov 2014
So basically our boy got jacked to the tits with 2x leverage, then got rekt.

In any case, I wonder if 0 day to expiry call options exi- how Lawrence will get out of this one.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Oct 4, 2021 9:22 AM
Jul 2016
Hmm, I don't understand some stuffs but I think I get the gist of the problem.

I understand that the market price for armor drops really low, and at least so far none of the people that do know about it back then either want him to fail (the merchant that try to con him in "church city") or think it was way too late for him (pretty much everyone in that city before he goes to the merchant's guild).

What I don't understand is how he was tricked and why the guild suddenly won't help him pay for the armor. Isn't there a contract for this kind of thing? Did they just broke it that easily or something like that?

Zadion said:
I have no idea why people are on Lawrence's ass for shoving Holo; with a debt that large and the increasing realization there's nothing he can do about it, it's very clear he'd snap. I highly doubt anybody in RL wouldn't do the same thing. As others have said, it's not like he actually hit her. fukkin white knights on MAL smh

Are they? They don't seem like it to me. Honestly, none of the discussion I've read anywhere had anyone hating on Lawrence. At worst they say it's an understandable mistake.
AllslslAug 1, 2022 11:06 AM
Feb 17, 2022 10:28 AM
Jan 2017
what i don't get about this episode:

1. aren't lawrence and holo like, rich af after the whole deal with Milone? why can't they contact some Milone branch or notary and pay using that fortune they earned?

2. why can't his Rowen guild assist in such a situation? surely they can give him a loan on far better terms than working in a mine for 10 years? or is the guild so shitty that they can't even afford a 47 lumione loan - in which case, wtf can they ever do? (also, it can't be that the guild leader hates lawrence since he apparently thinks of all the members as his "sons")

3. why did lawrence only ask for 2 days to settle that debt? that seems insane even in modern day terms, assuming it's like equivalent to 47k usd or something... why not ask for like 2 weeks or even 2 months, in case he needs to contact Milone a few towns over and get them to deliver the gold over (pending other delays)... 2 days just sounds stupid af considering he can't sell the armours.

4. why did NONE of lawrence's contacts even loan him a single gold coin? does this mean he has actually just been a really naive "businessman" and all his contacts merely tolerated him? or are these businessmen just giga selfish in this town? what about that last guy being a dick about him bringing a girl along... wtf was that about?? how is that "immoral" or whatever sanctimonious bs that dude was claiming?

honestly, this ep left too many things unclear and made it really impossible to follow without making a bunch of assumptions as a viewer. in fact, none of the assumptions i needed to make would make any sense without completely fracturing the image of lawrence as a peddler. it would seem that he is actually a tool, who has been lucking out so far when he presumes to rely on the goodwill and integrity of others and just haven't met actual sly merchants yet who would exploit him to bankruptcy if they smell his naivete. which doesn't make sense, since he does show some wit and acumen, while also having made some supposedly decent acquaintances with Milone and Rowen.

it feels like either some pretty huge bits were left out from the source, or something seriously went wrong with the writing.
Apr 12, 2022 10:02 AM

Sep 2014
@alveolate I figure this is probably too late but anyway:
He didnt actually gain that much, and all he gained was put into pepper (mistake 1) then he sold all of that to the shady trader for armour, without diversifying his investment (mistake 2) or even keeping money on hand for short term deals or just in case of emergency (mistake 3) so yeah he lost it all
Nobody loans him money because they all think he will fail anyway, and he has probably scammed a good bunch of them for profit in the past (he sugarcoats it by saying he is a merchant of his word but he happily deceives traders for profit and calls it their mistake and justifies it with merchant honour or whatever)
Remember how they are in a town with very dominant church influence? Dude sees him and Holo and thinks he is frolicking around without beeing married aka a sin.
Guild isnt going to pay someone out of a debt caused by their own greed as said by the leader.
He only got 2 days, he didnt ask for it.

maybe the best episode yet, we got some good developement for them, but also some drama. Their relationship gets both teased but also denied, for the wolf deity this is more of a game after all.

Lawrence shows us why you should never go all in on a single option, especially not repeatedly, without having a safety net. Really massive blunder, apparently all that money he made earlier was put into pepper and all of that was put into armour instead of diversifying even once..

I can really feel the stress radiating from him and in his anger and frustration about himself he lashes out at those close to him. This feels relatable in a bad way..

PS: ever noticed how accurate the episode synopsis is? Its literally exactly what happened, all of it down to the very last scene. If I would somehow be able to miss an episode this would be a good way to read up on what happened.

Comander-07Apr 12, 2022 10:16 AM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Feb 6, 2023 11:29 PM

Jul 2019
That last guy needs a kick in the balls or something. "Thanks for helping me make money in the past. However, you can just fuck off since you're travelling with a woman". How convenient, dickbag.

Anyway, this was the first episode where I managed to understand the economic stuff. Interesting.

Feb 19, 2023 7:47 PM

Dec 2022
damn... that was dark man... BLEAK!
Mar 31, 2023 12:21 AM
Feb 2022
The stock market got my man Laurence acting differently. I'm praying for their success <3
Jul 5, 2023 6:25 AM

Aug 2017
That was risky from Lawrence, too overconfident and now everything seems to go wrong. Probably my favorite episode so far, with the struggle he seems in and him lashing out at Holo from the stress. Poor Holo.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Asako - Feb 19, 2008

154 by 0451 »»
Today, 5:05 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Pokedude97 - Jun 2, 2008

134 by 0451 »»
Yesterday, 10:55 AM

» DVD-Only Episode and Episode Count

Vince - Mar 25, 2008

28 by ReaperCreeper »»
May 11, 6:22 AM

» Vintage over modernity

JustSomeone15 - Apr 10

33 by animejas »»
May 7, 1:20 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Feb 14, 2008

189 by 0451 »»
May 6, 10:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.