Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2016 9:34 AM

Nov 2014
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Well this was really bad. Thank goodness the mangaka did a 180.
Nov 25, 2016 10:38 AM

Jan 2013
Hmm, not a fan of this.
It's got the premise but it seems like a 16y/o wrote this.

Time to read the manga after watching the anime.
Dec 11, 2016 4:38 PM
Jul 2018
I liked this version better. Current one sucks. Wish they just went with this.
Aug 2, 2017 3:42 PM

Feb 2013
He was a ghoul from the start.
Aug 11, 2018 11:56 PM

May 2016
Seeing the first version of Tokyo Ghoul with my own eyes impressed me with how many ideas and designs have changed and how many of them remained as important plot points like food tasting really bad for Ghouls and Kaneki's metaphor for life using defective coffee beans. I'm glad that this had an opportunity to expand into a full-fledged manga~

Seeing Kaneki as an arrogant muscular by default kind of guy was surprising, Touka being that small and playful towards Kaneki was too. I initially thought that Touka and the Manager were actually humans in Anteiku in this version but they utilized those twists well, especially with Touka being the Binge Eater and Yoshimura eating that Ghoul Critic in the end. What surprised me the most was the meek and mild Shinohara having a revengeful antagonistic role in this. Compared to how kind and clever he was in the manga, his character was unnervingly cold and calculating. It's like he became Tsukiyama all of a sudden and he was even killed by Touka and Kaneki.

Jun 14, 2019 11:40 PM

Jul 2015
Kajo_Senpai69 said:
Seeing the first version of Tokyo Ghoul with my own eyes impressed me with how many ideas and designs have changed and how many of them remained as important plot points like food tasting really bad for Ghouls and Kaneki's metaphor for life using defective coffee beans. I'm glad that this had an opportunity to expand into a full-fledged manga~

Seeing Kaneki as an arrogant muscular by default kind of guy was surprising, Touka being that small and playful towards Kaneki was too. I initially thought that Touka and the Manager were actually humans in Anteiku in this version but they utilized those twists well, especially with Touka being the Binge Eater and Yoshimura eating that Ghoul Critic in the end. What surprised me the most was the meek and mild Shinohara having a revengeful antagonistic role in this. Compared to how kind and clever he was in the manga, his character was unnervingly cold and calculating. It's like he became Tsukiyama all of a sudden and he was even killed by Touka and Kaneki.

I heard this version of Shinohara was the model for Kureo Mado in the main series.

Jul 23, 2019 10:58 AM

Dec 2018
What should've been thrilling became somewhat comedic, glad they changed it.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Nov 16, 2019 2:53 PM

Mar 2018
Dear lord that was just nothing short of horrible.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Jun 24, 2022 9:12 PM

Dec 2009
Fascinating how the manga evolved from the prototype. 7/10.
The manga is excellent as is, but it's interesting to see a version where Ken was a ghoul from the start, while Touka was the inexperienced ghoul hiding her identity, along with the manager and them killing the investigator in the end.

There's a small hint of Ken's guilt in killing even though here he does it to people who obstruct him or are "bad", while Touka here is more innocent but still has her badass aggressive side.
Awesome how it developed into a masterpiece from this. Tokyo Ghoul is truly one of the greatest manga.

More topics from this board

» Are the favorites glitched?

IrrelevantGuy - Jan 12, 2021

5 by sekaiwaKIREI »»
Mar 2, 2021 11:36 PM

» Tokyo Ghoul One shot

Z4K - Oct 6, 2014

33 by OhYeahBitches »»
Aug 17, 2020 10:38 PM

» Was I supposed to read this after the main story or does it matter?

Thanatos-- - Sep 18, 2016

2 by removed-user »»
Dec 12, 2016 3:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.