Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 17, 2016 10:28 AM

Jan 2016
So I pre-ordered the ultimate collectors edition of The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya which came with The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 1 and 2, The Melancholy Of Haruhi-Chan Suzumiya (which I am assuming is like shorts or OVA kind of thing) and The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki

and I know their's a few ways you can watch it like the broadcast way (which I am watching it since it's my first time watching this anime)

and a few other ways and I was wondering if anyone could help me out for maybe the next time I (re)watch it possibly please?

sorry again for asking I am currently on episode 13 (think) Endless night 2

any help is appreciated I may just anytime I rewatch it just do it by episodes on the disc but just in case though I might has well have the options.

All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
Oct 17, 2016 10:36 AM
Jan 2013
Why go through all this trouble when you can just watch better anime
Oct 17, 2016 10:38 AM
Oct 17, 2016 10:41 AM

Feb 2013
whatever order you're watching now is good... s1 > s2 > movie > nagato yuki
the shorts can be watched any time after you're familiar with the characters i guess

and after finishing the anime you can just read about the other orders...

rewatching the whole thing seems just too much
Oct 17, 2016 10:45 AM
Jul 2018
Watch the anime in broadcast order. If you don't, prepare to have all the plot in 6 episodes, the rest is filler, and you'll have a super anticlimatic ending.
For the second season, skip 2nd to 7th episodes of Endless Eight. You don't want to watch that shit, your brain cells deserve better.
After that, watch the movie.
Oct 17, 2016 11:07 AM

Jan 2016
Thanks for the help so far guys ^^ for now I'll continue the way I've been watching it so far and I'll debate if I should bother watching it in other ways later on when I go back and rewatch it.

All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
Oct 17, 2016 11:19 AM

Oct 2014
There are three anime that are good in the franchise: Haruhi Suzumiya (first season), Haruhi-chan (the short ONA series), and Disappearance. Ignore the rest. Haruhi-chan doesn't fit chronologically into the series so watch it whenever. Watch the series before the movie. The Yuki Nagato anime was shit. If you're going to watch everything the bundle included and it has the original and 2009 separate (2009 isn't a sequel, btw) then just watch by release order. I don't know why the box set wouldn't include the movie.
Oct 17, 2016 11:36 AM

Feb 2016
animefan0071 said:
Thanks for the help so far guys ^^ for now I'll continue the way I've been watching it so far and I'll debate if I should bother watching it in other ways later on when I go back and rewatch it.

Broadcast order is the only way. Anything else is folly.
Also, make sure you at least try S2 and Nagato, whatever people say. S2 isn't nearly as bad as everyone says (you might even say it's good, gasp), and if the thought of Endless Eight really frustrates you that much, just watch the first and last of it. And don't go into Nagato expecting anything with the same tone as the original franchise: but if you go into it expecting a pretty good shoujoesque series, you shouldn't be disappointed.

If anything, Haruhi-chan is the weakest part of the whole franchise, but at least it's short. It gets better in the second half, thankfully.
Oct 17, 2016 12:05 PM

Feb 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
There are three anime that are good in the franchise: Haruhi Suzumiya (first season), Haruhi-chan (the short ONA series), and Disappearance. Ignore the rest. Haruhi-chan doesn't fit chronologically into the series so watch it whenever. Watch the series before the movie. The Yuki Nagato anime was shit. If you're going to watch everything the bundle included and it has the original and 2009 separate (2009 isn't a sequel, btw) then just watch by release order. I don't know why the box set wouldn't include the movie.
nyoron is also some 10/10 [anime equivalent of shitposting] only shadowed in the recent years by inferno cop
Oct 17, 2016 12:25 PM

Mar 2016
They're all watchable and any order is fine although there should be no reason why Disappearance wasn't included in the box set
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Oct 17, 2016 12:30 PM
Jul 2016
The original order is better, otherwise the climax comes less than halfway in. It's like watching Memento in chronological order.
Oct 17, 2016 12:43 PM

Dec 2015
Broadcast order is complete nonsense.
Watch it in chronological order, that way it plays out the same as in the novels.

Wardog_E said:
The original order is better, otherwise the climax comes less than halfway in. It's like watching Memento in chronological order.

The first book is covered in the first 6 episodes (chronological order) which is why you get a climax at episode 6. It's the climax of the first book.

And oh yeah, either skip the Endless Eight or just watch the final episode of it.
Bobby2HandsOct 17, 2016 12:51 PM
Oct 17, 2016 1:02 PM
Jul 2016
Bobby2Hands said:
Broadcast order is complete nonsense.
Watch it in chronological order, that way it plays out the same as in the novels.

Wardog_E said:

The first book is covered in the first 6 episodes (chronological order) which is why you get a climax at episode 6. It's the climax of the first book.

And oh yeah, either skip the Endless Eight or just watch the final episode of it.

IMO the books don't matter. Original and adaptation are not interchangeable. The pacing of the anime was designed to be experienced in achronological order while the novels were designed a different way.

Also *SPOILERS* Endless Eight is the pretty good, as long as you have a few hours to watch it all in one go. I imagine watching it week by week must have been a shit. It's actually a pretty cool story and if you like the animation it's fun to watch.
Oct 17, 2016 1:13 PM

Dec 2015
@Wardog_E I much prefer to go chronological and skip most of the Endless 8 but if you prefer not to that's cool too because you know...opinions...

If you like it in crazy disjointed confusing order then watch broadcast order.
If you actually want a more traditionally structured narrative then watch chronological order.
Oct 17, 2016 1:18 PM

Aug 2015
Broadcast order, because this is the only way you can have the unique kind of enjoyment the director intended for you to have.
Oct 17, 2016 1:38 PM

Feb 2016
Bobby2Hands said:
If you like it in crazy disjointed confusing order then watch chronological order.
If you actually want a more traditionally structured narrative then watch broadcast order.

FTFY.
I can definitely see the reasoning behind your argument, and I imagine that if I had read the LNs, I would probably be frustrated by the broadcast order. But when you have a season of 14 episodes, having the climax arrive before the halfway point and then having 8 episodes of filler (great filler, sure, but filler all the same) does not make for a traditionally structured narrative. If the season covered one book, you'd expect it to follow that one book's order; but since it didn't, it makes sense to pad out the story with filler so the climax is at the end. Again, for someone who had read the LNs, I can understand this would be frustrating; but for a new fan, I really think broadcast order is the way to go.
Also, being thrown into the deep end with Mikuru's film is just pure brilliance.
FasoltoOct 17, 2016 1:42 PM
Oct 17, 2016 1:42 PM

Jan 2015
romagia said:
whatever order you're watching now is good... s1 > s2 > movie > nagato yuki
the shorts can be watched any time after you're familiar with the characters i guess

and after finishing the anime you can just read about the other orders...

rewatching the whole thing seems just too much

What do you mean? :3
I'm rewatching Suzumiya Haruhi (double rewatch lol) :3
But yea I guess it would be too much if he watched it whole and rewatched it right away again :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Oct 17, 2016 1:44 PM

Jan 2015
I should watch the specials and other shorts lol and of course the spinoff >w<
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Oct 17, 2016 1:56 PM

Dec 2015
Fasolt said:
Bobby2Hands said:
If you like it in crazy disjointed confusing order then watch chronological order.
If you actually want a more traditionally structured narrative then watch broadcast order.

FTFY.
I can definitely see the reasoning behind your argument, and I imagine that if I had read the LNs, I would probably be frustrated by the broadcast order. But when you have a season of 14 episodes, having the climax arrive before the halfway point and then having 8 episodes of filler (great filler, sure, but filler all the same) does not make for a traditionally structured narrative. If the season covered one book, you'd expect it to follow that one book's order; but since it didn't, it makes sense to pad out the story with filler so the climax is at the end. Again, for someone who had read the LNs, I can understand this would be frustrating; but for a new fan, I really think broadcast order is the way to go.
Also, being thrown into the deep end with Mikuru's film is just pure brilliance.

But you can still watch in the order of the books, just watch The Sigh (the movie making episodes) after the first 6 chronological episodes and it continues chronologically, the filler is the 3rd book.

And being thrown in at the deep end with Mikuru's film caused more people to drop on episode 1 than you can possibly imagine :p

But let's just face it, KyonAni made some odd choices.
Oct 17, 2016 2:05 PM

Feb 2016
Bobby2Hands said:
Fasolt said:

FTFY.

But you can still watch in the order of the books, just watch The Sigh (the movie making episodes) after the first 6 chronological episodes and it continues chronologically, the filler is the 3rd book.

And being thrown in at the deep end with Mikuru's film caused more people to drop on episode 1 than you can possibly imagine :p

That's fair, but I still don't like the idea ending with filler; it just seems too anticlimactic to me, especially given the cosmic importance of the main story climax. I wouldn't be surprised by the number of people that dropped after the first episode: but I get the impression that they probably wouldn't have liked the rest, anyway. I think it does a pretty good job of setting the mood of the anime as a tongue-in-cheek parody, and anyone who saw that in Mikuru's film would be likely, in my opinion, to enjoy the series as a whole.

As for KyoAni making strange choices: you're 100% correct, of course. Whoever pitched opening with Mikuru and whoever pitched Endless Eight had some serious moxie (the latter especially so). But I'm glad they took risks, even if they didn't pay off in everyone's opinion. I can't see them doing something similar nowadays, at least.
Oct 17, 2016 2:23 PM

Dec 2015
Fasolt said:
Bobby2Hands said:

As for KyoAni making strange choices: you're 100% correct, of course. Whoever pitched opening with Mikuru and whoever pitched Endless Eight had some serious moxie (the latter especially so). But I'm glad they took risks, even if they didn't pay off in everyone's opinion. I can't see them doing something similar nowadays, at least.

I have to admit that the broadcast version was the first version I saw and part of what hooked me into the show was the fact that they had the balls to show a story out of order but maybe that's just because I like strange things.
So obviously I do appreciate that someone had the moxie to make these crazy choices but they can be really off putting to a new viewer.
Oct 17, 2016 2:50 PM

Oct 2014
First off, broadcast order is only relevant to the first 14 episodes. S2 (which includes S1 mixed in) is chronological. So technically chronological=broadcast when all 28 episodes are involved.

The main reason cited for not watching it chronological is to avoid having filler at the end. However that became moot the day the movie become available. The movie becomes the climax.

Re. Endless Eight. Personally when I re-watch I view 3 out of the eight: the 1st and the last 2. Any more than that would only be to cure an acute case of insomnia. Arguably the Sigh of arc is worse because at least Endless Eight can be "fixed" by skipping most of it. Sigh of is just unavoidable mediocrity for 5 episodes (outside of a few cool Nagato moments).

Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan was a disappointment for sure but it's not the disaster some are making it out to be. At least hold out until episode 10 because the few episodes following salvaged that series (for me). It was still nice to get more of the characters and the OST in despite the unfortunate artstyle change.
8oomerOct 17, 2016 2:55 PM
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Oct 17, 2016 2:57 PM

Apr 2015
Just do whatever...chronological is not bad, maybe you can personally scramble the episodes to your liking because that's what I did

Nagato-chan is boring, watch if you adore Disappearance Haruhi to bits
Oct 17, 2016 4:34 PM

Jan 2016
zombie_pegasus said:
Yeah to be honest I don't really get why it didn't either

Oct 17, 2016 4:35 PM

Jan 2016
Fasolt said:
animefan0071 said:

Also, make sure you at least try S2 and Nagato, whatever people say. S2 isn't nearly as bad as everyone says (you might even say it's good, gasp), and if the thought of Endless Eight really frustrates you that much, just watch the first and last of it. And don't go into Nagato expecting anything with the same tone as the original franchise: but if you go into it expecting a pretty good shoujoesque series, you shouldn't be disappointed.

If anything, Haruhi-chan is the weakest part of the whole franchise, but at least it's short. It gets better in the second half, thankfully.

thanks for the advice :) but I'm going through all 8 episodes I always feel like I should tbh with any/all animes I watch I always watch every episode even the fillers

Oct 17, 2016 4:37 PM

Jan 2016
Fred457 said:
They're all watchable and any order is fine although there should be no reason why Disappearance wasn't included in the box set

Yeah tbh i't kind of ticks me off that it didn't but I guess I might have to go and order a copy in at somepoint and also when I Pre-ordered it I didn't know their was a movie to it too but still got to get it :)

Oct 17, 2016 4:42 PM

Jan 2016
And again thanks again everyone :) I read through all the replies so far sorry if I haven't replied to one of yours yet I'll try my best to get to each one as much as I can :)

Oct 17, 2016 5:32 PM

Mar 2016
In the same boat. Planning on doing it this way to get the best of (all) worlds because why not and I don't care. Skipping nothing:

S1 Broadcast order
S1/S2 chronological order
Movie
Oct 17, 2016 11:52 PM

Feb 2016
animefan0071 said:
Fasolt said:

thanks for the advice :) but I'm going through all 8 episodes I always feel like I should tbh with any/all animes I watch I always watch every episode even the fillers

That's definitely an admirable approach; I watched Endless Eight in two sittings, and I think it's possible to appreciate it more if you do see the episodes back-to-back as opposed to dragging it out. If you watch them immediately one after the other, you get to enjoy the tiny details that KyoAni went into; I got the impression that the animators must have had a fair bit of fun making all these tiny tweaks to each episode. Leaving a break of several days between each episode could mean that you won't be able to notice all the little details.

And yeah, to echo what a few others have said: that is a major shame the boxset didn't include the movie; if you find you enjoy S1 and S2 overall, be sure to pick it up. It's very, very good. Anyway, enjoy your watching!
Oct 18, 2016 12:05 AM

Jul 2014
These threads are always a great way to bring the bridgetrolls out and grow the ol' ignore list

- Haruhi franchise is a masterpiece
- If you skip endless eight you're a monster

Fred457 said:
there should be no reason why Disappearance wasn't included in the box set

zombie_pegasus said:
I don't know why the box set wouldn't include the movie.

Probably just licensing shenanigans, the movie was probably not originally published by the same company who published the TV series and they wouldn't make a deal to include the movie. Pretty common. Even when series are published by just a different wing of the same company as a movie (for example Sony has a television house and a motion picture house and there's no autonomy in them coordinating)
Oct 18, 2016 12:07 AM

Jan 2016
Fasolt said:
animefan0071 said:

That's definitely an admirable approach; I watched Endless Eight in two sittings, and I think it's possible to appreciate it more if you do see the episodes back-to-back as opposed to dragging it out. If you watch them immediately one after the other, you get to enjoy the tiny details that KyoAni went into; I got the impression that the animators must have had a fair bit of fun making all these tiny tweaks to each episode. Leaving a break of several days between each episode could mean that you won't be able to notice all the little details.

And yeah, to echo what a few others have said: that is a major shame the boxset didn't include the movie; if you find you enjoy S1 and S2 overall, be sure to pick it up. It's very, very good. Anyway, enjoy your watching!

Thanks man I am actually just starting up episode 5 of the endless nights and your right I've noticed a decent amount of small hidden and not so hidden details they added in.

and for sure I'm going to get the movie (if I can get it ordered in) :)

Oct 27, 2016 12:57 PM

Jan 2016
Ok so I finished both season 2 last night and I was wondering does it matter if I watch The Disappearance Of Haruhi Suzumiya before watching The Disappearance Of Yuki?

The reason why I ask is that I'm guessing FUNImation doesn't own or just hasn't released it yet and the only ones I can find are on Amazon for $400 and I rather not buy it for that price sadly.

(and I mostly only watch anime's I can personally buy on DVD as dumb as it sounds)

so that's why I'm asking sorry again for bothering you guys with this and thanks for the help on both this and on the order to watch them in ^^

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

StabbyPWNS - Jun 30, 2008

175 by patkarunungan »»
Jun 3, 12:35 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

102 by Rahul_101 »»
May 22, 10:26 PM

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna-Ryu - Apr 15

35 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.