Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 19, 2016 7:24 PM

Jun 2015
This was a fantastic episode. Best one so far. I like the new visual for the OP. The match between Odasaku and Gide was very interesting. They have similar abilities. The last scene was really sad. Seeing something taken away from you, right before your eyes, must be heartbreaking. I hope Odasaku kicks some serious ass for that. And it looks like Ango was a triple agent. Looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 19, 2016 9:53 PM

May 2015
Geez, I feel really bad for Odasaku. I'm still really enjoying this arc about the past. Also, it was weird having the OP play around the 12 minute mark.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Oct 19, 2016 10:22 PM

Dec 2015
that last part holy shit my chest
Oct 19, 2016 11:05 PM

Jan 2014
Heavy atmosphere. The door firmly closed on the possibility of friendship between Dazai, Ango, and Oda as Ango left the bar. Then, with one stroke, Oda is drawn onto Gide's death stage battlefield. Oda's wish to someday be released from the Port Mafia and write the third volume of the book he found is taken away from him like the lives of the children he cared so much for, replaced now by a consuming desire to destroy the enemy. That bomb scene at the end and Oda's cry with that high piercing tone ... this episode was perfection.
Oct 19, 2016 11:24 PM

Jun 2013
So Gide also has the future seeing ability Oda has. And he could see the future where Oda dodges his bullet and adjusted himself accordingly. So Oda made more movements than a simple duck so that it becomes difficult for Gide to shoot him in a vital area. And the Mafia is going to deal with Mimic for good but Gide's ability is a problem.

And Ango is a triple agent working for a government organization which oversees the power wielders. He infiltrated the Mafia and then infiltrated Mimic when they surfaced. And the men who came to pick him up in the last episode were from that organization most likely.

And Gide just pissed off Oda by killing those kids. Damn. Oda's gonna kill a lot of people now. Also, the sequence with the OP changed I think. It's still cool though.
Oct 19, 2016 11:45 PM
Jan 2016
MAN WHAT A TRAGIC ENDING
ODA DON'T DESERVE THIS
HYPED FOR THE NEXT EPISODE
Oct 20, 2016 12:26 AM
May 2016
He can no longer write, it means he is going to kill now.They did really pissed off Odasaku, those people who did that horrible thing to the kids should prepare, he will not hold back as said by Dazai in episode 2.

Damn the feels are strong on this episode, I felt so much sympathy to Odasaku. ;-;

Love the new animation for the OP, whivh was put on the middle part of the episode.
Oct 20, 2016 1:17 AM

Jul 2007
Holy shit, I never expected to see Andre Gide in bungou stray dogs as a villain. But it makes so much sense.

Andre Gide was queer. He grew up in highly religious family and felt constrained by the social norms placed upon him, and thus a lot of his works focused on constraints of moralism and religion as well as queer representation and overall right for everyone to display and be at ease with their identity, be it sexual, cultural, racial or gender-based. His works nonchalantly tear down things like racism, slavery, homophobia, etc. His Corydon is stil one of quite important works about homosexual rights in history. In Corydon he argues that the notion of "homosexuality being unnatural" is flawed in itself and that it is the widespread heterosexuality that has mutated into "abnormal" due to being enforced and policies by the government, society, religion, everything, albeit the book is sometimes frowned upon due to the defense of sexual attraction to young boys in it. Eitherway, Gide believed Corydon to be his greatest work, as well as the work that is bound to damn him in the eyes of the world.

Due to his works he was shunned and condemned by most of the public back then. Even his own legal wife ended up despising his work and burning his correspondence. He lived in France, then fled to London and then ended up traveling the world. He spent his last years in france publishing his journal.
His life's greatest accomplishment in the eyes of society? Roman Catholic Church banned his works as heretical.

It makes sense his character would sympathize with Odasaku's who in real life was also an "ostracized" writer(albeit due to different reasons), as I covered before.

Either way what an episode. Bungou keeps surprising me every week. Props to Oda's VA in the end. That was a heart-stopping scream if I ever heard one.

5/5
AhenshihaelOct 20, 2016 1:34 AM
Oct 20, 2016 2:22 AM

Jun 2013
man i'm in love with this season more than the first season
Oct 20, 2016 2:42 AM
Oct 2007
WAT THE ... Bungou Stray Dogs is on a roll!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2016 5:51 AM
Jul 2016
I WAS SO SHOCKED OMG ODASAKU 😭😭😭😭😭😭
Oct 20, 2016 6:18 AM
Oct 2016
Fai said:
Holy shit, I never expected to see Andre Gide in bungou stray dogs as a villain. But it makes so much sense.

Andre Gide was queer. He grew up in highly religious family and felt constrained by the social norms placed upon him, and thus a lot of his works focused on constraints of moralism and religion as well as queer representation and overall right for everyone to display and be at ease with their identity, be it sexual, cultural, racial or gender-based. His works nonchalantly tear down things like racism, slavery, homophobia, etc. His Corydon is stil one of quite important works about homosexual rights in history. In Corydon he argues that the notion of "homosexuality being unnatural" is flawed in itself and that it is the widespread heterosexuality that has mutated into "abnormal" due to being enforced and policies by the government, society, religion, everything, albeit the book is sometimes frowned upon due to the defense of sexual attraction to young boys in it. Eitherway, Gide believed Corydon to be his greatest work, as well as the work that is bound to damn him in the eyes of the world.

Due to his works he was shunned and condemned by most of the public back then. Even his own legal wife ended up despising his work and burning his correspondence. He lived in France, then fled to London and then ended up traveling the world. He spent his last years in france publishing his journal.
His life's greatest accomplishment in the eyes of society? Roman Catholic Church banned his works as heretical.

It makes sense his character would sympathize with Odasaku's who in real life was also an "ostracized" writer(albeit due to different reasons), as I covered before.

Either way what an episode. Bungou keeps surprising me every week. Props to Oda's VA in the end. That was a heart-stopping scream if I ever heard one.

5/5

Interesting facts about IRL Gide. Thanks for the info :)
Oct 20, 2016 6:42 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
Whats with the timing of the opening, lol. They put it after the half-episode mark. And if I remember correctly they didn't show it in the first two episodes. Maybe I'm just forgetful.

I don't know what it is about Bungou Stray Dogs. It just doesn't keep my interest over a whole episode. Some time in, I find myself checking stuff on the second monitor or stuff like that. Maybe it's because of the pacing, maybe because of its tone and "serious" feel to it (same phenomenon with Gangsta last year)... And I have the feeeling that this is an anime, when you are once out of it and "skipped" and episode, your out for good and can't get the hang of it again.

By the way. Did the one guy from the first episode transform into a tiger sometime again? Did I miss that part or did they abandon the tiger transform ability completely?
I have written my own Ecchi short story. It is called Nopan Mahou Shoujo!
You can find the PDF here or read it online on Wattpad or on Archive of Our Own.
Oct 20, 2016 6:51 AM

Aug 2016
Oh gosh. This season keeps getting better and better. It might just be because I have a thing for series based within the mafia, but, most likely, this is just damn good content 10/10.
I quite admire how the people behind this managed to make us sympathise with Odasaku with a span of only 3 episodes? Hell, I've watched hours-long anime that didn't make me a feel a thing for any character, no matter how much it had tried.
This is hyping me so much that I'll most likely end up buying 'Dazai and The Dark Era' the next time I come across it, omg *^*

Though, I hope that Odasaku does not go into blind-killing mode against Mimic, because that's exactly what they would've wanted him to do.

Also, I've been thinking this since the first episode, but, isn't he the guy who turned out to be the Mafia Boss right at the end of the first season? I might just be mixing something up here, though asdfghj

Once we seize space, we'll all...
Oct 20, 2016 8:12 AM

Apr 2010
Wow, that was... strong oneI I can't tell what it was exactly, but my body felt the pain the end. Not literally, but... you know.

But... it's pretty surprising if you remember them saying in the first episode one of them will die so they never drank again. Maybe not as buddies.

I have a bad feeling about what's going to happen next :(

By the way Akugawa is so ungrateful. People save you and you try to kill them?

And Gide's saying they are ghost is too weird. Can't you explain yourself, at least? And that's the moth pathetic death wish I ever heard... The hell...

Oct 20, 2016 8:45 AM
Jul 2016
"I can no longer write a story"

That line was too epic for me. Could it be possible he is ready to kill someone?

I like this season :) I like the previous one too.
Oct 20, 2016 9:38 AM

Apr 2016
lol this shit is some back story for whats happeninig in the manga basically
Oct 20, 2016 10:04 AM

Dec 2015
starlightshine said:
Damn, so Ango triple-crossed them by betraying both Port Mafia and Mimic?

Called it.

I wonder if killing the kids was supposed to be taking away what Odasaku cherishes. Mimic has nothing more to lose, while Odasaku has everything. The kids, his friends, his dream. And when he loses them, he's going to lose himself, isn't it? And that's how Dazai lost him, I presume.

Damn, Suwabe really is trying his best to be the most outstanding voice actor this season. He's involved in quite a few different stuff and they're all different, and he's doing a great job for them all.

Love the new OP animation this time too. I'm gradually warming up to the OP and ED this season.
Oct 20, 2016 10:48 AM
Sep 2016
At the end OdaSaku was like "Wake me up, wake me up inside".
Oct 20, 2016 12:00 PM
May 2015
Honestly I hope they end this arc here and cut back to the regular storyline. I really enjoy this archive but I'd much rather see flashbacks of Odasakus rampage throughout this season.
Oct 20, 2016 12:26 PM
Apr 2014
Oh my. This is easily my favourite episode of any show this season (so far). Holy shit that went by fast. Is this where Daizai got the feeling for suicide we saw in the first season? Yet was hiding it, because... just wow, lots of questions I have, can't wait for next week. I'm starting to really hope that this entire season will just be backstory and if/when a third cour comes out then we can continue on from the first season. 5/5. Absolutely breathtaking performance by Oda's seiyuu. I was starting to say right after the shot of the picture of the three of them that they should have ended the episode there. Then that happened. That was close to perfection in my eyes.
Thanatos--Oct 20, 2016 12:31 PM
Oct 20, 2016 12:40 PM

Mar 2016
Thanatos said:
Oh my. This is easily my favourite episode of any show this season (so far). Holy shit that went by fast. Is this where Daizai got the feeling for suicide we saw in the first season? Yet was hiding it, because... just wow, lots of questions I have, can't wait for next week. I'm starting to really hope that this entire season will just be backstory and if/when a third cour comes out then we can continue on from the first season. 5/5. Absolutely breathtaking performance by Oda's seiyuu. I was starting to say right after the shot of the picture of the three of them that they should have ended the episode there. Then that happened. That was close to perfection in my eyes.

They can't . This backstory is a 4 chapter novel only . Next week is the last chapter . Then we're cutting to 3 ways war arc ( or guild arc for shorter)
Oct 20, 2016 3:53 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Its great to see that Odasaku survived

Hmm so Dazai does have high expectation of Akutagawa

Looks like the war between Mimic and the port mafia is not going well at all

If anything Odasaku can always be counted on to support his friends and comrades

Akutagawa is still a cool character though
so his shield can only protect him at one spot only eh

Gide is interesting
his powers seem to be more focused on combat

Lol Odasaku just coming in and hauling Akutagawa away on his back
after casually stunning Gide lol

Dazai's reaction to the enemy's aim of seeking a place to die is just priceless

Lol of all places i expected him to be sitting at the bar is not one of them lol

The revelation about Ango was actually more than i expected lol

Damm i can't believe that Mimic killed the children that Odasaki cared so much
about in the end

Overall another great episode
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2016 6:30 PM

Jun 2015
_Kairu_ said:
The moment those kids were introduced I knew something like this would happen.

exactly i have thought same like yours!
i knew it will coming, im ready to see this but its still hurts

Maescia said:
"I can no longer write a story"

and his screaming, really epic-sad moment
blowingdandelionOct 20, 2016 6:34 PM
Oct 20, 2016 7:36 PM

Nov 2015
Poor Odasaku.. RIP kids

Oct 20, 2016 8:00 PM

Oct 2011
Oda wanted to be a writer and live a quiet life with the orphans. Damn Mimic destroyed. Bad@Ss Oda!!!!
Oct 20, 2016 8:14 PM

Dec 2013
Goddamn I was already expecting this scene, but didn't expect them to drag out the bar scene so much that they'd end the episode on it...

As horrific as the scene was, those words Oda monologued at the end were all too poetic and resonated so much with me as an avid reader. The sound effects of the ringing in the ear and his subsequent howl of despair truly captured the essence of the moment. It was both heart and gut wrenching.

Pretty much know what Oda is gonna do next episode, and as much as I would like to see him be a badass, I'm apprehensive as to his end. Dasai did monologue at the very beginning that only two of the trio were left (hence his reason for leaving the Port Mafia), and the way I see it, I don't believe it will be Ango who bites the bullet.
L-RyoshiOct 20, 2016 8:18 PM
HESTIAAPPROVES
Oct 21, 2016 6:15 AM

Oct 2016
another great episode .. here we see the mimic's leader who has the same ability as odasaku ..and finally some actions but the last part was extremely sad damn .. poor odasaku ..
Oct 21, 2016 9:15 AM

Jul 2015
Best eps of all Bungo stray dogs
This arc is getting better and better
Poor Odasaku, he is really the one in despair
This arc is really better than main storyline of bungo straystray dogs and there are no force comedy like the main storyline. This arc is what i need after all. The dark tone, despair, sadness, betrayal. All in one

5/5 for this eps and that last scream from odasaku
His VA doing a great job there
Oct 21, 2016 2:58 PM

Mar 2013
Agh I had the bad premonition that something like that was about to happen when they introduced those kids in the previous episode. The ending really hurt me :(

Suwabe did a good acting near the ending.
The episode got some great dialogues.
Oct 21, 2016 5:58 PM
Jul 2016
Wow totally didn't see that ending coming my heart totally goes out to Oda ... I can't wait to see him get revenge in the next episode the moral gloves are definitely coming off. I wonder if they'll be a flashback of sorts to why he didn't want to kill in the first place
Oct 21, 2016 10:29 PM

Jan 2014
No... My heart... This episode was heartbreaking but absolutely amazing. I love this season 1000x more than the first. Oda is my favorite character. I know where this is heading though...
JotakakOct 21, 2016 10:32 PM
Oct 22, 2016 4:03 AM

Feb 2014
That ending was brutal, poor Oda.

He wont be holding back anymore.
Oct 22, 2016 6:40 AM
Mar 2012
kokoro hit hard man... fitting ost mood & all.
So Akuto very much a selfish brat in early days.
Ango's position's quite unfortunate.
Oct 22, 2016 12:39 PM

Feb 2012
I'm sorry. This season just confuses and annoys me. I don't care enough about the two new main characters to care what happens to them, harsh this ep for the red head though.
Creepy emo guy from season one started out possibly more creepy and emo. Good to know.
The bar scenes are boring.
I dunno this season just seems more real... In a bad way, for me at least. I'll give it one more ep.
Oct 23, 2016 12:38 AM

Dec 2012
The action and the revelations were very interesting this episode. Poor Odasaku, the end was so sad. The seiyuu made a great job for that cry of suffering, it was really sad.
The story of this season is amazing.

I don't know if Guide killed every one or if it was the mafia :/
SakaitsuOct 23, 2016 12:41 AM
Oct 23, 2016 5:45 AM

Sep 2015
This was the best episode in this series so far (both seasons), at least for me.

5/5
Oct 23, 2016 7:11 AM

Nov 2015
This was just in-cre-di-ble!
By far the best episode of both seasons.
I just loved every second of it and I nearly cried at the end, holy goat that was intense!

5/5
Oct 23, 2016 8:14 AM
Apr 2014
aww shit ;_; That was not nice :( The children and that chef-guy had nothing to do with it. Poor Oda >.> Hope Gide gets what he deserves for that and sadly that is not death.
Oct 23, 2016 11:15 AM
Jan 2016
That was so good???? I'm still not recovered omg
Oct 25, 2016 4:08 AM

Jul 2014
Wow, this episode hurt my feeling so much..
Oct 26, 2016 3:51 AM

Jun 2013
Jesus Christ, that ending was brutal. Poor kids. :( I hope he rips out the throat of whoever orchestrated that.

Akutagawa was annoying then and he's still annoying now. He's like an emo teenager rebelling against his parents.
臭い-
Oct 26, 2016 12:02 PM

May 2014
That was so sad omg...
Oct 27, 2016 1:00 AM

Mar 2009
dear lord that ending. Odasaku's scream was haunting. So fucking sad.
I liked the first season, but this backstory has been incredible. I'm so invested in this series now.
Oct 27, 2016 7:12 PM

Jun 2016
Wow that ending, really dark and sad. Hopefully Oda goes on some sort badass revenge spree now though.
Oct 29, 2016 12:39 AM

Oct 2008
Damn This is not good for me! I can feel Oda's pain!
This time, I hope he stopped from not killing anyone and kill everyone that's involved with the killing of the kids.
5/5.

Oct 29, 2016 7:51 AM

May 2014
Welp, that sets it. Odasaku is bae and just need a hug.

Oct 29, 2016 10:08 AM

Jan 2013
Poor Odasaku :( What a sad episode.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Oct 29, 2016 3:24 PM

May 2014
Wow that ending was done beautifully, I had a bit of a lump in my throat...poor Odasaku.

I also really loved the new visuals for the opening!

Gotta say that these three episodes alone have been leaps and bounds better than the entirety of the first season. Odasaku's monologues, the overall atmosphere and tone, as well as the pacing and exposition have all been pretty damn good! I'm hoping the season keeps up with this quality!!
Nov 1, 2016 8:57 AM

Apr 2012
This episode was quite boring IMO but that ending.... omg so the children are dead? No waaaaay o.O
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2016

157 by gladiusm »»
May 14, 11:02 AM

» The Armed Detective Agency is actually weak?

eWEQRW123123 - May 8

30 by holo-simp »»
May 10, 9:08 AM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2016

220 by kociamatka »»
May 3, 2:25 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2016

107 by Karva1 »»
Apr 23, 9:37 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Nov 11, 2016

101 by Karva1 »»
Apr 23, 9:30 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.