Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 13, 2016 9:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good start for the first episode.

I like the realism dynamics and the characters introduced so far. The OP song also works quite well with its style. Mitsuya is an interesting character with knowledge while Masashi has interest in working with him.

The office environment looks realistic as well. Excited to see more of this, there's quite a bit of potential here.
Oct 13, 2016 1:41 PM

Apr 2012
The first episode was very promising to deliver a good seinen title. I can't wait to see more.
Oct 13, 2016 3:14 PM

Apr 2012
@Purple- It may be serialized in ITAN but the story so far focuses on men at work which is often found in the seinen genre, but I wouldn't say Josei is wrong. I guess this anime can be categorized in both genre since they are sometimes similar.
Oct 13, 2016 4:19 PM

Apr 2013
Looks pretty good, op and ed are nice. Looks to just be a good seinen show. Just gotta wait for the subs now...
Oct 13, 2016 5:50 PM

Sep 2011
Tendou-kun said:
@Purple- It may be serialized in ITAN but the story so far focuses on men at work which is often found in the seinen genre, but I wouldn't say Josei is wrong. I guess this anime can be categorized in both genre since they are sometimes similar.

*sigh*

Josei/Seinen is not a genre, it's a demographic. What makes a title Josei, Seinen, Shounen, Shoujo is simply the magazine it's published in which in Japan (apart from a few oddities) have very strict targeted demographics. That's it. Nothing else.
Oct 13, 2016 6:47 PM

Sep 2012
I really liked the episode.
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Oct 13, 2016 6:58 PM

Aug 2014
I can say that I didn't have that *high* expectations for this series when I read the synopsis, then saw it was being done by Zexcs. I have enjoyed some of their past works but overall there was nothing I had seen by them that I was overly impressed by. That being said I was very impressed by this first episode (who would of thought seeing as though its about making dictionaries).

The story was fluent in the way it progressed and all the characters have their own interesting personalities. Although, what really impressed me the most was the animation in this first episode. Straight away it is obvious that this is not something that needs excessive animation, but the subtle way the animators put in little details like in the dream sequence really brought a sense of realism that a lot of anime of this kind lack. I am especially impressed by the background animation. It would of been so easy to just use still backgrounds images and to give the characters limited movement when they interact with each other, but instead they have their heads making movement when they talk and the people in the background of the cafe weren't just cgi blobs. I'm a bit of an animation fanboy.

I also love that they're using Hiroshi Kamiya (one of my favourite VA's) in a role that isn't a highschool student. He has a really unique voice that really suits Masashi that isn't as authentic when he is voicing someone like Takashi.
Oct 13, 2016 7:42 PM

Jul 2013
That was really interesting! I like the analogy they use that a dictionary is like a bridge. I find the MC to be eccentric and I love the word definitions they use! (I like smart characters). I find the mature feel of the anime very appealing compared to most anime that's been coming out these days. Looking forward to the next episode!
Oct 13, 2016 7:47 PM

Jun 2014
An anime about.......making dictionaries? Why the fuck not, I kind of liked this first episode so I'll stick around to see how this goes.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 13, 2016 7:54 PM

Feb 2014
The problem I have with subtle and calm shows is that most of them don`t have a distinct purpose and there is no clear progression (Except character development in some).
Fune wo Amu seems to be very sophisticated and there is a clear goal in sight, which one can really appreciate when this anime ends (Or source material idk). The animation is not very fluid, but the small quirks of each character and how they moved around has told me more about their personalities than most shows. I can see this being the most underrated anime of the season.
Oct 13, 2016 8:16 PM

Feb 2012
Idiots_on_MAL said:
I can see this being the most underrated anime of the season.

Well it'd be a little less underrated if I could watch the fucking thing and understand what's being said in it.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Oct 13, 2016 8:19 PM

Jan 2013
Where are you guys watching this?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 13, 2016 8:29 PM

Dec 2014
It was a pretty good first episode in my opinion, though a bit too slow for my liking. I love the art direction and how much of a ditz the main guy is. Though what the fuck was with that cartoony segment about how dictionaries are different? It serves no point and is a massive tone whiplash.

I just hope its better than the last 2 Noitamina shows I watched.
Oct 13, 2016 8:46 PM

Jan 2015
Dictionaries are cool. Words are cool. This is what the intro scene instantly reminded me of. The conversations about words are a tad bit hammy, but it doesn't matter, because Ferris wheels.
Nice animation, though it took a while to get used to it.
This show reminded me of Rakugo, somewhat, though with not as good a first episode. They both handle a subject matter very closely tied to the Japanese language, and they're both about trying to pass on or adapt that subject matter to a newer generation. Maybe I'm stretching the logic. Whatever.
This was nice.
Oct 13, 2016 8:48 PM

Sep 2012
It feels like the characters are ''overacting'', not in an anime style but like in doramas. The way they use music and the narrator is the same too hahah. I liked the animation a lot, it was very fluid and natural, I wasn't expecting that.
Also, I didn't know what was this about but I kinda like it, more because there are reflections about their language than anything else. I'll keep watching, and if there's going to be a Kumota's manga about it i'm reading that for sure, I love the sense of humor of that woman.
Oct 13, 2016 8:52 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Really enjoyed it.
I have a good feeling about this !
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 13, 2016 8:53 PM

Aug 2015
I like this one a lot. Realistic workplace dramas with some interesting ideas are rather uncommon in anime.
Oct 13, 2016 8:55 PM

Dec 2011
Peeps, where did you watch it? Is this streaming anywhere?
Oct 13, 2016 9:01 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
SaneSavantElla said:

You can only find it on Amazon
beside that well ... gotta go the pirate way because its going to be the only option to watch it legally (i watched it on good old kissanime)

Oct 13, 2016 9:04 PM

Dec 2011
DatRandomDude said:
SaneSavantElla said:

You can only find it on Amazon
beside that well ... gotta go the pirate way because its going to be the only option to watch it legally (i watched it on good old kissanime)

Aw, too bad I wanted to watch it... (I guess I got to go the pirate way then)
Thanks for the info!
Oct 13, 2016 9:23 PM

Sep 2015
I got a Chihayafuru vibe each time he defined stuff
Oct 13, 2016 9:33 PM
Mar 2016
I really liked it, didn't expect it to be this good after I read the synopsis. I also really enjoy the soundtrack :)
Oct 13, 2016 10:35 PM

Dec 2015
I liked the image used at the beginning. Interesting start for a story about making a dictionary. Or so I thought until I read a few lines about the previous adaptation (a live movie):

4/5

@Purple- But is it adapting the manga? I came in to watch an animation based on a novel.

DatRandomDude said:
gotta go the pirate way because its going to be the only option to watch it legally

During the broadcast period, yes. But didn't CKrunchyroll take Kabaneri later?
Oct 13, 2016 10:49 PM

Apr 2014
Wow. I did not expect an anime about making dictionaries to be extremely good. This anime is off to a promising start.

Oct 13, 2016 11:03 PM

Apr 2012
scruffykiwi said:
Tendou-kun said:

*sigh*

Josei/Seinen is not a genre, it's a demographic. What makes a title Josei, Seinen, Shounen, Shoujo is simply the magazine it's published in which in Japan (apart from a few oddities) have very strict targeted demographics. That's it. Nothing else.

Thanks for enlightening me
Oct 13, 2016 11:04 PM

Feb 2014
I didn't think his interpretation of "reading the air" was all that impressive. Any 14 year old should be able to come up with that. So I wasn't sure why the editor guy was so pumped up about meeting him. But that last scene where he defined the words "right" and "island" by looking at the bigger picture and taking into account all the exceptions, was pretty good.

All in all, not a bad start. Finally a workplace drama with adult male characters. I didn't know dictionaries were such a big deal in Japan.

I also like the realistic artstyle and the sober and slightly muddy color palette. Reminds me a lot of the anime from the early 2000's, which had my favorite artstyle.
Oct 14, 2016 12:41 AM

Sep 2014
The dialogue felt a bit unnatural, but I guess it's because of the wierd premise. Otherwise, this was an impressive first episode. Very solid character animation and direction.
Oct 14, 2016 1:32 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
The animation is fluid in the way that it feels like rotoscope. I like it, it's nice seeing characters or their hair and clothes move naturally.

This was one of my most anticipated non-sequel anime this season, and it did not disappoint. I really enjoyed the tone of the episode, quite mundane, but also sort of like a light drama, especially due to the music. Story wise, it's just getting started, and the build up to when they finally find Majime was well done. He's the perfect one for the job, someone who pays attention to details, but doesn't overdo it.
Oct 14, 2016 1:48 AM

Apr 2008
Vhailor said:
I didn't think his interpretation of "reading the air" was all that impressive. Any 14 year old should be able to come up with that. So I wasn't sure why the editor guy was so pumped up about meeting him. But that last scene where he defined the words "right" and "island" by looking at the bigger picture and taking into account all the exceptions, was pretty good.

The editor was most likely interested in how Majime approached the phrase, or rather that he attempted to define it in the first place. If you are having trouble finding someone to work on a dictionary, you'd be very interested in a guy rambling word definitions out of the blue, and you'd be more than keen on meeting and testing them.
Oct 14, 2016 1:58 AM

Dec 2014
Pretty good start, It's about making dictionaries eh? Not something that you would expect to be interesting but the way it was portrayed in this episode was really good.

The MC defining the words by taking into account the different ways they can be perceived and interpreted at the end was really nice. I was looking forward to what his final definition of island is, Sadly we never got to hear it.

Looking forward to more episodes.
Oct 14, 2016 2:03 AM

Oct 2008
This show looks good. I'll keep an eye on this...
4/5.

Oct 14, 2016 2:09 AM

Jul 2015
Quite fluid animation, nice.

I do not like the OP at all though.
Oct 14, 2016 2:21 AM

Mar 2012
Genuinely impressed by this premiere so far. For something that focuses on a rather dry subject as dictionaries, it already feels inherently human in its premise as it deftly shows the connection to how words connect to us as people. It feels present in Majime, the main character, who is rather awkward and eccentric on his lonesome, but is rather tight lipped and reserved in his words. This is shown through the bits of interaction he has with people in his day to day life, as he trips himself while talking to the shop keep and later explaining himself to Nishioka. He is rather oblivious in his social awareness and excessively thoughtful in his assumptions, he seeks solace in these moments through expressing himself through diligently through words, but only serves to inconvenience him, as shown in how unnatural he sounds sometimes in his dialogue and tone of voice. This is thoroughly supported through the bits of dreamlike sequences that we see, as it seems that he has trouble expressing himself and generally connecting with people, as words seem to merely only overwhelm him in his dreams.

Toshimasa Kuroyanagi definitely did not disappoint, and it's great to have a pretty nice production that has the resources to support his vision. His storyboard and directing generally felt pretty on point, as shown in his restraint and nuance shown in the show's atmosphere so far. As well as the rather thoughtful layouts in the show's shot composition, for example, showing closeups of the character's faces and body language to give weight to the character's words and actions, allowing the audience to get into the character's heads. There's also a good sense of symbolism and stylization present in certain scenes, like a standout scene near the episode's climax where they go to find Majime or the dreamlike sequences shown in Majime's dreams.

Speaking of which, Hiroyuki Aoyama's character designs for this show are great. Simplistic, but well defined in their designs, which allows for rather refined and expressive character animation. The way the characters express themselves in this episode is genuinely pretty great, There's a clear distinction in how each character acts and there is weight to their body language and gestures, while simultaneously feeling pretty full of life while easily subdued. Fitting for a show that while also about words, is also about expressing yourself.

Overall, I'm pretty excited to see where this will be heading. If there's some complaints I had, I did feel the show's pacing feels a bit uneven at times however, as scene progression can feel pretty abrupt even though the general flow of the narrative is solid. I also think the art direction is kinda bare bones, dry even? It's functional, if anything, and mediocre at worst. While it tries to go for a solid sense of place and location, the rather drably colored backgrounds can kinda distort that feeling. here's hoping the production doesn't die!!!!

Also can anyone who saw the movie explain if it's any different? I'm pretty curious as I've heard the anime has a pretty different interpretation.
Oct 14, 2016 3:50 AM
Aug 2016
The presentation is nice. Pretty effective character presentation that does a lot with pretty little. The old lady upstairs is particularly charming. There are a few places where the animation and audio do not at all match up. The "read the air" definition might be the most inappropriate response to anything i have seen in anime, giving the MM character a 10/10 autism rating.
A lot of the points made are repeated, and the use of callback is very unnecessary, the audience hasn't forgotten the definition of a great dictionary author already.
The subject matter doesn't seem like it translates well to English, and i get the distinct impression that the sub i watched missed a few nuances that would have made things more interesting.
All in all, i'm not going to watch another episode of this. The editing and language/culture barrier just detract too much from what i think could have been a nice comfy thing about a niche interest presented to have wider appeal.
Oct 14, 2016 3:51 AM

Sep 2014
The first episode of Fune wo Amu was surprisingly good. Sure, they over-emphasize the uniqueness of dictionaries imho and it comes over as a bit pretentious but I enjoy the poetic parts regardless. What really strikes me though is the animation. There is a lot of detail in it regarding expressions, all day occurrences etc. For example when they showed the woman that moved past Araki on the staircase. Her reactions seemed so natural yet intruiging.
Oct 14, 2016 4:01 AM

May 2010
I already love the OP, the lyrics are great too. Judging from it, we can expect both bromance and romance. I was not looking forward to Kamiya voicing that character tho.

As expected of the genre and the theme, the dialogue is more on difficult side to pick up if you don't look at the subs.

Ah the animation is pretty cool!

Pretty solid first episode, the plot is refreshing. I'm looking forward to the female character's introduction, she seems really cool from her portrait. Wonder what kind of role will she have.

The ED is lovely too.

Btw shouldn't the show's english title be called "Create A Ship" instead of "The Great Passage"? That's what it translates into, I mean.
Oct 14, 2016 4:10 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I'm so impressed with the animation, almost for the whole run time, it was so fluent.

I like the main character, he obviously has a lack of social skills, yet he can easily make various definitions on the spot for words.

The second main is not fond of him yet, i can easily see though that they can harmonize well in the future.

Music was amazing when the old man walked to Majime, it really hit the spot.

This is just as good as Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and should not be overlooked like this.

People need to advertise this everywhere they can. I'll make an exception with my 3-episode rule of rating an anime and put an 8 on this already. The time slot in what this aired in with subs in is not good for european viewers and it would be a waste not to watch this.
SmudyOct 14, 2016 4:15 AM
Oct 14, 2016 7:03 AM

Jul 2013
Why is this rated so low O.o

I mean I don't expect 8s but 7.14 is harsh even for an initial rating.

That ED is just so lovely, best ED this season.. or for the past few seasons for that matter.
Oct 14, 2016 7:12 AM

Nov 2011
As I watched, I thought: Yay! My expectations of this anime, they were well placed. The subject is interesting and different than usual, at last I will be able to see something interesting, in this fall season. Surprised by more than decent quality of designs and scenarios. Catchy and cute soundtrack and opening, ditto for the ending. Curious to learn more about the characters.
Oct 14, 2016 7:39 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
MoeGod said:
Why is this rated so low O.o

I mean I don't expect 8s but 7.14 is harsh even for an initial rating.

That ED is just so lovely, best ED this season.. or for the past few seasons for that matter.
Oh dont worry its going up, its at 7.27 now.
Its just that its not something a lot of people is going to watch and also, the subs appeared on the internet for maximum 12 hours ago.

at the end of the day it will get a little bit better score!

Oct 14, 2016 7:59 AM

Feb 2016
jesus fucking christ , it says commie sub ! How the fuck are people watching this !
"This is my father's crime against me, which I myself committed against none" Al-ma'arri
Oct 14, 2016 8:50 AM

Jun 2016
I really loved this first episode, I think Mitsuya is a lovely character and all the others looks really interesting and well written too. Considering the genre, a solid cast is what's gonna make the difference in the end. But so far, it looks really promising!
Animation looks super fluent and works very well with this kind of anime.
The music was really good too, and I'm already in love with the OP. Definitely something I'll keep watching!
Oct 14, 2016 9:25 AM

Aug 2013
hisokathebutcher said:
jesus fucking christ , it says commie sub ! How the fuck are people watching this !

Don't judge everyone, some of us aren't retarded that much to watch with commie subs and don't forget that many people are watching it raw ;)
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 14, 2016 9:50 AM

Jun 2014
Amazing first episode! This is going to be a highlight of the season. The realism, directing and animation were on point, the visual storytelling was beautiful. Voice acting was top notch. Quite excited about this one.
:3
Oct 14, 2016 10:15 AM

Jun 2014
This anime cures insomnia. Zzzzz...
Oct 14, 2016 10:24 AM

Jun 2013
For something with such a mundane and dull premise, i am very pleasantly surprised with how much i enjoyed this first episode.
Oct 14, 2016 10:24 AM

Jun 2016
Benio_ said:
This anime cures insomnia. Zzzzz...

Are you serious? And you list Hanasaku Iroha and Akame ga kill amongst your favorites.. :3
Oct 14, 2016 10:28 AM

Oct 2012
I was genuinely impressed with this ep, the art, the pacing and music were all very good to me and I can't wait to see where this story goes
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Oct 14, 2016 10:43 AM

May 2014
I liked the music but other than that I have nothing to say about this yet
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Oct 14, 2016 10:44 AM

Oct 2015
Good start !
Great arts !
Good Opening and Ending !
This anime gonna be the gem of this season !

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fune wo Amu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2016

105 by Kayarbee70 »»
Apr 7, 3:57 PM

Poll: » Fune wo Amu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2016

112 by Kvistis »»
Feb 17, 11:16 PM

Poll: » Fune wo Amu Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2016

46 by Atavistic »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:30 AM

Poll: » Fune wo Amu Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2016

51 by Ranxomare »»
Aug 19, 2023 11:59 AM

Poll: » Fune wo Amu Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2016

50 by UnknownGhost5 »»
Aug 8, 2023 4:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.