Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 9, 2016 6:39 AM

Jul 2013
I totally loved this. The first half was really depressing and atmospheric, and the fact that the MC didn't say anything at all during the first 9/10 minutes only made it better. Like how they imply what happened to him to reach that situation without telling us directly what was the deal (I believe he nearly drowned or something like that and was adopted by the man whom he plays shougi in the episode).

The second half with the sisters was like a more relieving part after the slow but intense stuff of the first half. A very heartwarning atmosphere (who gets better by the good voice acting of the sisters and details like the monologues of the cats) who contrasts well with how depressing the first half was.

Shaft's wacky visuals were well played and made the setting better (for both the happy and sad/serious moments). As a Shaft fanboy, I didn't ended dissapointing at all.

About the characters, overall is a likeable cast. The MC was very quiet during all the episode, but hopefully his issues and personality will be developed as the series goes on (since this has two cours). The sisters were very loveable, from the caring older sister, to the hyperactive, genki middle sister to the little one (who was really adorable). I also liked the character of the teacher, and how he get upset because the MC obtains more money than him in his shogi tournaments xD

Probably the AOTS along with Bungou Stray Dogs 2 if the series stays this good.
Oct 9, 2016 6:53 AM

Jun 2015
Well, not a bad episode overall. If this series arrives to like me or not it mainly depends in how that depressed MC is going to influence the bigger picture of the show (and more specifically, the way his personal development is portrayed). Can't say I disliked the first minutes representing his state of mind, but it was definitely less interesting than the later half.

Bump of Chicken's music was somewhat to be expected, but they didn't leave me much of an impression. The opening/ending sequences were fine but I don't expect to watch them again.

My main concern about this anime was Shaft as the chosen studio to make the adaptation, nonetheless so far so good. It definitely had some identifiable elements in there, but they weren't the focus of attention during the greater part of the episode.

Waiting for next week one.
Oct 9, 2016 7:54 AM

Nov 2011
In truth, I was attracted to this title for the graphic style identical to H & C, hoping it would be best used as history. And how it started, I think that is the true miracle. Excellent from all points of view, graphically it is a pleasure (again if you like the character design), and the animations are excellent. cute characters, already beginning to fail me, I look forward to seeing the girl with light hair. The plot is interesting, directing that knows her. The opening and ending are pleasant to listen to.
Oct 9, 2016 7:56 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Very promising start and I love its style. It's not exactly like most Shaft series, but it still has some of their traditional directing and I loved it. I like its art style and the characters are really good. The first half was really intense with its somber tone. The second half was more fun and the comedic moments worked well.

This, Gi(a)rlish Number and Yuri on Ice so far had the best first episodes (excluding sequel seasons).

5/5
Oct 9, 2016 8:06 AM

Feb 2016
Goddamn, that OP and ED.

I liked the first half of atmospheric silence, but was turned off because of the comedy. That big shift in tone is quite unexpected and it came in like a lion.

They could fix that comedy and not make Rei react so alien from his basic behavior.
RyuugamonoOct 9, 2016 8:54 AM
All people have their own sh*t tastes, therefore, there are no sh*t tastes, since everything is equally sh*t.

A VERY LOGICAL
PHILOSOPHY
Oct 9, 2016 8:57 AM

Apr 2011
It's a very beautiful anime and Bump Of Chicken doing both themes is a win in my book.
Oct 9, 2016 8:57 AM

Feb 2016
really good first episode
Oct 9, 2016 9:33 AM
Jan 2014
MC reminds me of Arima, Kousei in a way
I like that we can hear the cat's thoughts lol
Pretty good first episode, looking forward for the upcoming episodes.
Oct 9, 2016 10:59 AM

Apr 2015
This was great, exceeded expectations. Some scenes were amazing.
It is still so unmistakeably Shaft, you can see it after three seconds and I think that's a good thing

All three sisters' acting was spot on, to be expected for the big names associated
Oct 9, 2016 11:07 AM

Feb 2014
A solid first episode. I was surprised at how long it took Rei to say something until nearly 10 minutes in, but It was really well done though. =)

From the Shaft shows that I've seen so far, this art style is different to what I'm used to, but I really like it. The animation was really consistent too.

The cats' monologue was funny though. Just like my own, it does show how they can be greedy buggers! XD The comedy as a whole was good thankfully.

The three sisters were really sweet and enjoyable to watch, especially Hinata when she got Rei a futon to sleep in as well as making lunch for him. =)

With 23(?) episodes overall, there'll be plenty of character development to go around, so I'm looking forward to how this show goes from here on out.
Oct 9, 2016 11:47 AM

Jul 2013
I'm speechless... This has amazing potential. Music alone left me in awe.
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Oct 9, 2016 12:46 PM

Nov 2013
I really want to like this show but I can't say I was pleased with this first episode. Shinbou's style doesn't just fit here. The first half was good, albeit marred by various Shaft-isms here and there such as the constant camera cuts. The second half is where things took a turn for the worse. I get that the sisters are supposed to brighten up the protagonist's life, but the scenes featuring them are far too noisy and hyperactive with all the screaming and sparkles and talking cats. All I ask for is some restraint when it comes to those particular scenes because, as it is now, the sisters' home doesn't across as cheerful but rather maniacal.
Oct 9, 2016 12:51 PM
Feb 2016
I like playing shogi very much, so I was waiting this one becomes animated and now my dream comes true!
Oct 9, 2016 1:41 PM

Jul 2015
Tien said:
I really want to like this show but I can't say I was pleased with this first episode. Shinbou's style doesn't just fit here. The first half was good, albeit marred by various Shaft-isms here and there such as the constant camera cuts. The second half is where things took a turn for the worse. I get that the sisters are supposed to brighten up the protagonist's life, but the scenes featuring them are far too noisy and hyperactive with all the screaming and sparkles and talking cats. All I ask for is some restraint when it comes to those particular scenes because, as it is now, the sisters' home doesn't across as cheerful but rather maniacal.

It is consistent with the manga though, I've read a few chapters of the manga and imo the anime manages to improve both the dramatic introspective moments and the comedic flurry found in the sisters family home.

Makes them both have a bigger impact.
Oct 9, 2016 2:38 PM

May 2009
The style invokes the memories of Honey and Clover :)
Interesting first episode, definitely wanna find out what's on protagonist's mind.
Oct 9, 2016 2:43 PM

Nov 2015
The music was nice and the art it good too. The story isn't really promising from what I saw in this episode, being a 2 cour will help expand the content for sure.

Oct 9, 2016 2:43 PM

Jun 2013
And.... I don't know really. The first 10 minutes or so were good, but not so much for the rest. The tonal shift was ok, but I don't know what SHAFT are going for by clearly defining chapter 1/2 and so on, in story structure. Rei is obviously suffering & burdened with something(most likely the thing with his step(?)father, we'll see. The parts with the girls contracted with the first, so I didn't really get into them much. Nice cast of characters though. Shaft gimmicks were kept low, but the fast editing in 2nd part was ehh. Good premiere overall, if not at least promising. 3.5/5
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Oct 9, 2016 4:07 PM

Apr 2014
Everyone saying tonal shift this and that. Lmfao I guess people are soo accustomed to shitty anime following 1 tone that they cant see how this is a very real portrayal of the real world.

Imagine if your whole entire day was just 1 tone throughout. I was expecting better criticism from mal but all I got was asspulled buzzwords.
Oct 9, 2016 4:11 PM

May 2015
Probably one of the best first episodes of this season so far. I loved it. The art, the visuals, the music, the OP and ED.

Shaft's either a hit or miss for me, but I think this show's going to be a great 2-cour ride, just judging from the first episode.

Oct 9, 2016 5:24 PM

Aug 2015
Feels similar to Your Lie In April. The melancholic beginning was really great, then it suddenly switched to a more lighthearted comedy feel.
Oct 9, 2016 5:58 PM

Nov 2015
My apologies if I missed an answer on this, but does anyone know who did that song with French lyrics during the episode, while he's taking the train? It was really nice.

Otherwise I have high hopes for this show It looks fantastic so far!
Oct 9, 2016 6:16 PM

Oct 2011
Whoa, that Cat-Own is really scary!

And here we see a hype train in its natural habitat:

This is really good. I can't wait for the next week!
Oct 9, 2016 7:24 PM

May 2015
Shaft is back and here to stay! This was a slow first episode, but slow pacing doesn't faze me one bit.

I really like the relaxing atmosphere that this show brings and the whole family portrayal made me grin like an idiot almost haha.

Definitely going to be one of my favorite slice of life anime for this season and I can't wait for the next episode!
Oct 9, 2016 8:03 PM

Jun 2008
Look at HOW BEAUTIFUL an anime can look when SHAFT doesn't abuse their "quirkiness"
-No Black screens, no constant jump cuts (It was sparse and clear), no jarring animation
-Background and random passerby are detailed, no copy paste cars, no Fancy high fences out of nowhere.
-clean panoramic shots (no skewed perspectives)

I love SHAFT, but goddamn they'v abused their style after the success of Monogatari. This kind of clean animation that I was actually expecting for Nisekoi. Koufuku Grafiti was a nice welcome of fresh air, but the skewed perspectives bothered me.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Oct 9, 2016 8:09 PM

Oct 2008
If it's SHAFT, it's a keeper!
Unholy awesomeness! both OP & ED are from BUMP OF CHICKEN!
5/5!

Oct 9, 2016 8:37 PM

Apr 2016
That was phenomenal. Like, wow.

Besides the effectiveness of the depressing flashbacks (which were just ambiguous enough to inspire curiosity), two moments jumped out at me in particular:

1) Rei typing out an excuse not to come to the house, only to be hit with a followup message that persuaded him to go (by placing an expectation of action on him). All too relatable for anyone with social phobia.

2) The likening of the news report about a son killing his father to Rei's "beating" of his own dad. So powerfully written and animated it damn near made my eyes water.

Beautiful art style/direction, likable characters, and a couple funny bits (the teacher asking if he makes more money than him was lol). I think the "tonal shifts" people are talking about were a pretty clear attempt to contrast's Rei's lonely life by himself with that of the Kawamoto sisters. I expect that to continue until Rei's outlook improves.

Obviously it's only the first episode, but if this show continues down this road, it could be something really special.
Oct 9, 2016 8:57 PM

Nov 2011
Wow i was expecting a decent episode, but this episode went beyond my expectations. I think this anime might have the one of the strongest first episode that perfectly captures the feeling of the orignal work i have ever seen in a anime.
Oct 9, 2016 9:02 PM
May 2014
This will compete with Haikyuu for being my AOTS.
that says something since I know how brilliant this arc of haikyuu is :)
Oct 9, 2016 9:14 PM

May 2015
I like what I see. I feel like this could really be a good emotional story.
Oct 9, 2016 9:22 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Damn, this is was really good for a first episode. I can see this already being one of my favorites of the season.

I really like the slow pace nature of the episode and the art style felt warm and comfortable imo.

I trust SHAFT to do good by this series.
AntwanMantillaOct 9, 2016 9:28 PM
Oct 9, 2016 10:01 PM

Oct 2006
I don't like SHAFT's style at all but the story is good enough to keep me watching for now.
Oct 9, 2016 11:25 PM

Jan 2014
Likable first episode, fortunatelly we still have animes like these for these seasons that have almost nothing with them. I'll follow this one.
Oct 10, 2016 12:20 AM

Sep 2011
Pretty boring first episode. Plot doesn't seem all that great but of course it's only the first episode of a 23 episode show. MC... I hate quiet MCs. They come off as emo. Shogi... Well, it seemed kinda boring so far. I hope it gets more intense somehow, but seeing as how there's no sort of supernatural element, Idk what to say. Comedy was pretty bad.
Oct 10, 2016 12:38 AM
Jun 2013
Not a big fan of this show. Feels like it tries too hard to be emotional. The female characters also feel too pure and cheerful to be real human beings. I'm surprised I feel that way considering I like moe anime girls lol.
Oct 10, 2016 5:59 AM
Oct 2007
Was ok. Brooding shogi guy is kind of annoying, but the family that runs that shop is pretty fun. It has Kana Hanazawa so I will keep watching
Oct 10, 2016 6:34 AM

Mar 2010
yall must lone watching paint dry because this is the most boring anime in this season on trash, typical SHAFT crap
Oct 10, 2016 7:36 AM

Apr 2016
Loved the paint style art work. I feel most new anime sport a rather "clean" look. I dont know how else to put it. Watching such painterly style was refreshing. The comedy portions felt mostly forced. Am intrigued to watch more though.
Oct 10, 2016 7:52 AM
Sep 2014
The op song is the best one for me this season, the anime has a nice background musics too and a good ending.
character wise the main character will need more than just one ep to judge while the sisters are nice characters to have , and a refresh to the normal set up of girls around the main characters which are mostly a childhood friend, a crush , a tsundere.
while the first ep was good sadly it couldn't make a great impact on some watchers as the anime needs more episode to makes it fingerprint, specially that its a 23 episodes anime.

For me I would say, as good book as its cover (I like the anichart picture of the anime which is the reason I gave it a try and its so good for me)
Oct 10, 2016 8:17 AM

Nov 2015
Promising first episode, my favourite so far with Yuri on Ice.
The OP/ED are awesome as well.
I like how it has a sombre atmosphere in the first half and a comedic 2nd half, both were done pretty well.

Good work from SHAFT there,
5/5
Oct 10, 2016 9:42 AM

Nov 2011
Slow start, not a fan of squeaky voices, hope shougi won't take too much precedence cause i have no idea how it's played. Also big Bump of Chicken fan XD

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Oct 10, 2016 9:45 AM

Jun 2008
Jryou said:
yall must lone watching paint dry because this is the most boring anime in this season on trash, typical SHAFT crap

On the contrary this the FURTHEST example of a "typical SHAFT crap" in terms of it being an animation studio.
This is just you not liking Chika Umino's works overall (Honey an Clover mangaka)

Zee530 said:
Slow start, not a fan of squeaky voices, hope shougi won't take too much precedence cause i have no idea how it's played. Also big Bump of Chicken fan XD

The Shogi will be prevalent as it's the only "thing" Rei is capable of in Society. But the majority of the story will be about the Sisters healing him from his past life.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Oct 10, 2016 11:05 AM

Oct 2008
This was beautiful! The main character didn't even say a word until almost 10 minutes in, but so many feelings were shown. Can't wait for the next episode.
Oct 10, 2016 11:05 AM

Mar 2014
The whole episode got the feeling of " Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso " vibe

MC genius particular talent
Somewhat dark past
Oct 10, 2016 12:50 PM

Apr 2011
This makes me miss Honey & Clover.. )":
I can't really relate to the main character yet but I'll continue watching cos I love the OST. *p*
Oct 10, 2016 12:51 PM
Jul 2018
Solid start, liked the music and direction of the show. First half did a good job showing his internal turmoil, second half was light hearted which was to be expected, showing the influence of the family. I am impressed, will keep watching this.
Oct 10, 2016 1:58 PM

Jan 2015
Although the first episode was great for a Shaft work, I have still issues on it. One of it is the BGM used in that first 9 minutes. The 1st 9 minutes is intended to show Rei's crippling depression and playing a jolly French song isnt going make the scene depressing like it was originally intended to.
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Oct 10, 2016 2:23 PM

May 2016
It was pretty good except the comedy
Oct 10, 2016 2:48 PM
Jan 2016
MahiSenpai said:
Iam the only one who thought this was totally boring?
I hope it gets better.

And Im seriously bothered by the way they draw mouths.
Like really.

Now we are two.
This first chapter was like a sleeping pill and the change between sad and happy was very unnatural and forced, i was expecting something like Shouwa Genroku, i really hope this gets better.
Oct 10, 2016 4:05 PM

Apr 2015
There's a weird contrast between the dramatic bits and the over-the-top comedy. The series is quite slow moving. I don't quite have a feel for this series yet; we'll see next time.
Oct 10, 2016 4:40 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm!its somewhat better than other fall anime(not bungou stray dog).

Good start and hope will get better and will not bord us.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2017

178 by little_raven »»
Yesterday, 8:41 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 11, 2017

108 by little_raven »»
May 14, 9:07 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

158 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 29, 12:31 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

moodie - Oct 15, 2016

191 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 29, 7:12 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

91 by astoneon »»
Apr 28, 3:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.