Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 28, 2016 2:26 AM

Aug 2014
It would be funny if the number of students wanted to apply to their school is still 0 even after that performance. xD

.....And it ended. Finally? I doubt it tho, S2 will happen soon, I'm sure.
Even at this point, I'm still confused why didn't they just make original Love Live S3 instead of this..
7/10 overall.
This anime is like IM@S Cinderella Girls to original IM@S.
Not as good as the original, but at least watchable. IM@S CG was really bad tho
Sep 28, 2016 2:43 AM
Dec 2011
Guess we have to wait until next season to find out if they won the regional tournament and reached the national stage.

If Tokai regionals is one of the regionals then the regional stage is probably divided into 11-15 regions:
Hokkaido (2 regions), Tohoku (1 or 2 regions), Kanto (2 or 3 regions), Tokai, Hokurikushin'etsu, Kinki (1 or 2 regions), Chuugoku, Shikoku, Kyushu (1 or 2 regions).

During the second one that μ's won, almost 50 teams (most likely one from each prefecture with μ's represented Tokyo) were on the national stage. So in the current tournament, more than 2 teams from each region might be in the national stage.
Sep 28, 2016 4:41 AM

Jul 2015
Aaaaaaahhhhh it's over... this is probably the greatest idol anime I will ever watch... and now it's over... what do I do with my life now... guess I'll go find some of their songs to listen too. They had pretty good songs. Like the one at the end, that was nice, and the CG wasn't bad.

It's weird, the story was nothing special seeing as it had happened once before already, the characters were pretty uninteresting and just copied the originals with some equally uninteresting personalities. I mean, they all cute as heck and I can see people really liking the characters, but again, they really ain't nothing special. So why did I enjoy this so much? I thought it over a bit, and all I thought was, it was fun. The interactions, the animation, the music, just everything. It was made fun. Something was always going on with one of the characters in the background aside from the few serious moments, and it was fun to watch. 8/10.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Sep 28, 2016 6:37 AM
Jun 2016
Kay_Lite said:
Even at this point, I'm still confused why didn't they just make original Love Live S3 instead of this..

I haven't watched the LL movie yet but the second season ended with the third years graduating didn't it? So there couldn't possibly be a third season as Nico, Nozomi and Eli are no longer students.

I was a bit late in watching this episode but I liked it as an ending. I have hopes for a S2 and am hoping they draw out some more emotional punch like they did in the latter half of this season.

I liked their performance and thought the song was quite good, but not as good as START:DASH!! (it's getting better after repeated listens though and the animation is superior, but that's to be expected).

I'm going to miss Aqours. Can't wait for this song to come out so it can be added to my playlist. I also hope they'll eventually release all the different versions of the ED song as sung by various cast members.
dqtl74Sep 28, 2016 6:42 AM
Sep 29, 2016 3:29 AM

Mar 2016
Well that was a great last episode. I loved Aqours' way of retelling the whole story since the group was created.

Even though there were quite a bunch of copied elements, that actually didn't bother me a lot, and I still enjoyed Sunshine as much as the original.

One of my few regrets is about the songs. I liked each & every one of Aqours' performances, but there wasn't any truly memorable song, as opposed to the original.

Anyways, I'll be on the lookout for a season 2 now.

8/10. Yoshiko best girl btw
Sep 29, 2016 11:13 PM

Aug 2013
Was a little disappointed with this finale.

That ending was a little too open ended. Obviously there will be a season 2...because milk. But still, how well did they place in the contest? I just assume they did...but did they save the school? It was open ended enough that they could just start a new season and not even reference the end of the first and just leave it up to the viewer to interpret.

Also...them doing a little play before their performance was more than a little unrealistic. Not that I have a problem with the play per-say, but literally 2 minutes before that Riko made a big deal about the member limit and the rules prohibiting them near the stage. If Love Live is this massive organized contest with lots of rules, I guarantee they'd have a rule limiting performance time, and that really long play would count towards it. It's like they got 15 minutes for their act and all the other groups got like 4.

As a whole, I didn't hate the show, but I think they could've done some things better. Like I really don't think they needed to dick-ride the original series so hard. For fucks sake, there were some parts that were so bad they were almost breaking the 4th wall. Other parts were literal carbon copies. Some of the more subtle references were nice, and actually were in really good taste and fit well (like Hanamaru comparing herself to Rin). Unfortunately those kinds of moments were few and far between compared to the "oh! muse practiced on a roof so now we are too!" moments.

I also quite enjoyed the characters too (except Yoshiko, she's literally fucking cancer). Although I enjoyed the original, Nozomi and Eli, and occaisionally Kotori were really the only characters I enjoyed seeing on screen. Whereas in sunshine I kind of enjoy them all (except for fucking Yoshiko), especially Mari and Hanamaru.

That being said, I still stand by my statement from the beginning of the season that the SS girls really aren't all that different from the original girls. Each girl from SS has a personality, or combination of personalities that's directly similar to the Muse girls.
Chika - Honoka
You - Kotori
Riko - Umi/Maki
Mari - Nozomi
Kanan - Maki
Dia - Eli/Nico
Ruby - Nico
Hanamaru - Hanayo/Rin
Yoshiko - Rin/Nico
Some other people might see slightly different blends of personalities, but that's just the general sense I myself got while watching.

Now this is kind of like a double-edged sword. On one hand, this makes the characters seem less original. Not only do the characters have kind of similar personalities, but the share the same quirks too; Dia was a cold-shoulder kind of council prez like Eli, and an idol freak like Nico. Hanamaru had a weird verbal word "zura" like Rin's "nyan" and is a glutton like Hanayo. Mari watches over everyone and gropes boobies like Noznomi. You can argue that the characters maybe should've been more original, but of course that can lead to speculation on how the entire show could've been different and maybe people wouldn't have liked it. People seem to like the characters now, so can you say they would've liked them if they were different?

The "good" side of that double-edged sword is that we get to see those personalities fleshed out in a different way. Different combination leads to seeing thing portrayed differently. We never got to see a Nico who was an idol freak with a catch phrase using her name, but super shy. Now we can with Ruby. Also, I would say that the SS group of girls was more lively and outgoing than the originals. Muse had a lot of tsundere girls and a lot of tsundere moments between Maki, Umi, Nico, and pre-idol Eli. We definitely didn't have that many moments like that in SS, and those girls who had tsundere tendencies usually wound up the butt of some comedy moment.

When all is said and done, I think SS definitely fell short of the original. But, I do think that if (when) they do a second season, it has the potential to somewhat surpass the original. They only really made one or two Muse references in this last episode, so if they hold true to that promise of not trying to be like them anymore, we should see little to no more Muse references next season, and Aquors can really have a chance to grow and develop into its own entity.
And when I say no more Muse references, I don't just mean the mentions, the copying, and 4th wall attempts. I also mean no more fucking children who look like Honoka clones, and no more cock teases where they make it seem like a Muse member is about to show up for a cameo but they don't.
Sep 30, 2016 4:01 AM

Oct 2008
Their White suit for their last performance this episode looks like similarly the same as what the A-Rise used!
Their last performace was okayish! although it was their originality by storytelling their past events on how the group formed and experienced difficulties but keep moving forward. LOL it has many values which is a plus!
props to Windows X LOL!
Chika's mom VA was Kugimiya Rie! nice!
4/5.
8/10.

Sep 30, 2016 6:17 AM

Mar 2014
Ah the finale was amazing !!!

I hope there is second season !!
Oct 1, 2016 10:48 AM

Sep 2013
It was real emotional and personal 10/10 but I'm torn if they were disqualified or not, what the hell Chika?

The Zero to One was about the school application XD XD LMAO
Oct 2, 2016 10:00 AM

Jan 2014
What a cute ending! I REALLY hope we get a season 2 (which I reckon we will, given past patterns), but in any case, this was a great way to end the first season.
Oct 2, 2016 11:52 AM

Jan 2010
Lord_Odous said:
Oh Sunrise you tease, you kept teasing me with your "zero to one, zero to one", and I had been hyping myself for Step! Zero to One for ages.

When I saw "MIRAI TICKET" being named the insert song of the performance, I had to pause the show, recollect my scattered thoughts and slow down my hypoxic breath.

WHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHY

I'm so pissed with this, how could they throw away the best moment to put Step! Zero to One on the anime after giving so many hints for half of the show?
Oct 2, 2016 11:45 PM

Dec 2012
Sadly, but the season was more boring and stranger than first muse anime season. Aquors will be never best than original girls. They cute, but looking like copies.
Oct 3, 2016 2:13 AM

Apr 2013
FlameZefie said:
Lord_Odous said:
Oh Sunrise you tease, you kept teasing me with your "zero to one, zero to one", and I had been hyping myself for Step! Zero to One for ages.

When I saw "MIRAI TICKET" being named the insert song of the performance, I had to pause the show, recollect my scattered thoughts and slow down my hypoxic breath.

WHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHY

I'm so pissed with this, how could they throw away the best moment to put Step! Zero to One on the anime after giving so many hints for half of the show?

From ep 1 to 12 I had a 9 to LLSS, I was ready to throw a 10 if they gave me a good finale, but it didn't, so now it's an 8. =(

MIRAI TICKET isn't bad, but the timing is bad; the impact, the oomph, really just isn't there. On the other hand, like you said, they really really blew the best chance to showcase Step! Zero to One, which IMO, still the best thing to represent and wrap up the entire "zero to one" thing.

MIRAI TICKET? I wonder what it has to do with the "zero to one".

Oct 3, 2016 1:47 PM

Jun 2008
Never did I think I would love these girls as much as I do now.

I was a bit hesitant going in, but all fears disappeared after the first episode and Love Live! Sunshine!! became one of my summer favourites.

The theatrical bit was very clever and Mirai Ticket was a wonderful song to end the series!
Oct 3, 2016 11:57 PM

Mar 2008
God, the little act was cringy.

A hollow finale for a sub-par idol show.
Oct 4, 2016 9:36 PM

Jun 2015
Dang. Not a bad show by any means, but I was kind of underwhelmed by this season of LL. I just didn't feel anything at the end. We never really saw the girls practicing, it never felt like they were working towards a particular stage or goal, the finale was visually stunning but there was no emotional impact. An unnecessary plot recap followed by all the girls dancing and singing an arbitrary song and dance at an arbitrary place... the show needed a lot more focus on the development of the girls as a team and on showing all the hard work they put in to achieve their goal. Rather, most of the time was spent on rehashing the same tired themes over and over again (i.e. we're just a small town! We're not trying to be muse, really! We're all shiny!)

Ah well, that all sounds like I really disliked it, but again it wasn't bad. A second season could potentially do much better I think with the introductions out of the way.
Oct 4, 2016 9:58 PM

Sep 2016
Jonesy974 said:

Chika - Honoka
You - Kotori
Riko - Umi/Maki
Mari - Nozomi
Kanan - Maki
Dia - Eli/Nico
Ruby - Nico
Hanamaru - Hanayo/Rin
Yoshiko - Rin/Nico

For me, it's
Chika - Kotori
You - Honoka
Riko - Umi
Yohane - Maki
Hanamaru - Rin
Ruby - Hanayo
Dia - Nico
Kanan - Eli
Mari - Nozomi

Honestly I enjoyed Sunshine a bit more than the original, and while the Muse baiting seems like a negative aspect of the show, I believe it was necessary for Chika's growth.
The only thing I didn't like about Sunshine was too much focus on the ChikaRiko relationship. It took away screen time that could have been used on other characters/events and didn't contribute much to the plot. In fact, it felt like I was watching an entirely different show. It also led me to despising Chika a lot.
...better to be hated for what you are than loved for something you are not.
Oct 5, 2016 1:40 AM
Sep 2012
Jonesy974 said:
Was a little disappointed with this finale.

That ending was a little too open ended. Obviously there will be a season 2...because milk. But still, how well did they place in the contest? I just assume they did...but did they save the school? It was open ended enough that they could just start a new season and not even reference the end of the first and just leave it up to the viewer to interpret.

Also...them doing a little play before their performance was more than a little unrealistic. Not that I have a problem with the play per-say, but literally 2 minutes before that Riko made a big deal about the member limit and the rules prohibiting them near the stage. If Love Live is this massive organized contest with lots of rules, I guarantee they'd have a rule limiting performance time, and that really long play would count towards it. It's like they got 15 minutes for their act and all the other groups got like 4.

As a whole, I didn't hate the show, but I think they could've done some things better. Like I really don't think they needed to dick-ride the original series so hard. For fucks sake, there were some parts that were so bad they were almost breaking the 4th wall. Other parts were literal carbon copies. Some of the more subtle references were nice, and actually were in really good taste and fit well (like Hanamaru comparing herself to Rin). Unfortunately those kinds of moments were few and far between compared to the "oh! muse practiced on a roof so now we are too!" moments.

I also quite enjoyed the characters too (except Yoshiko, she's literally fucking cancer). Although I enjoyed the original, Nozomi and Eli, and occaisionally Kotori were really the only characters I enjoyed seeing on screen. Whereas in sunshine I kind of enjoy them all (except for fucking Yoshiko), especially Mari and Hanamaru.

That being said, I still stand by my statement from the beginning of the season that the SS girls really aren't all that different from the original girls. Each girl from SS has a personality, or combination of personalities that's directly similar to the Muse girls.
Chika - Honoka
You - Kotori
Riko - Umi/Maki
Mari - Nozomi
Kanan - Maki
Dia - Eli/Nico
Ruby - Nico
Hanamaru - Hanayo/Rin
Yoshiko - Rin/Nico
Some other people might see slightly different blends of personalities, but that's just the general sense I myself got while watching.

Now this is kind of like a double-edged sword. On one hand, this makes the characters seem less original. Not only do the characters have kind of similar personalities, but the share the same quirks too; Dia was a cold-shoulder kind of council prez like Eli, and an idol freak like Nico. Hanamaru had a weird verbal word "zura" like Rin's "nyan" and is a glutton like Hanayo. Mari watches over everyone and gropes boobies like Noznomi. You can argue that the characters maybe should've been more original, but of course that can lead to speculation on how the entire show could've been different and maybe people wouldn't have liked it. People seem to like the characters now, so can you say they would've liked them if they were different?

The "good" side of that double-edged sword is that we get to see those personalities fleshed out in a different way. Different combination leads to seeing thing portrayed differently. We never got to see a Nico who was an idol freak with a catch phrase using her name, but super shy. Now we can with Ruby. Also, I would say that the SS group of girls was more lively and outgoing than the originals. Muse had a lot of tsundere girls and a lot of tsundere moments between Maki, Umi, Nico, and pre-idol Eli. We definitely didn't have that many moments like that in SS, and those girls who had tsundere tendencies usually wound up the butt of some comedy moment.

When all is said and done, I think SS definitely fell short of the original. But, I do think that if (when) they do a second season, it has the potential to somewhat surpass the original. They only really made one or two Muse references in this last episode, so if they hold true to that promise of not trying to be like them anymore, we should see little to no more Muse references next season, and Aquors can really have a chance to grow and develop into its own entity.
And when I say no more Muse references, I don't just mean the mentions, the copying, and 4th wall attempts. I also mean no more fucking children who look like Honoka clones, and no more cock teases where they make it seem like a Muse member is about to show up for a cameo but they don't.
This quote pretty much sums up my feelings for Love Live Sunshine and the girls of Aqours. By itself, Love Live Sunshine is a good show, but the lazy copy/pasting of the first season and each of the μ's girls is simply too much to ignore. Sunshine also rushed the development of all the girls before quickly pushing them aside to focus on Chika and Riko drama. Kanan was essentially a background character who was all but forgotten until she was needed for some major drama with Mari (which was over in 15 minutes). A rushed season was also one of my complaints with Love Live second season, but at least that season still felt more natural and very satisfying in the end. Sunshine really deserved a 2-cour season to fully develop all the characters in a satisfying way.

I gave this show a 6/10 since MAL wouldn't let me rate Love Live Sunshine 5.5/10.
Oct 5, 2016 1:48 AM

Aug 2013
RE1031 said:
Jonesy974 said:

Chika - Honoka
You - Kotori
Riko - Umi/Maki
Mari - Nozomi
Kanan - Maki
Dia - Eli/Nico
Ruby - Nico
Hanamaru - Hanayo/Rin
Yoshiko - Rin/Nico

For me, it's
Chika - Kotori
You - Honoka
Riko - Umi
Yohane - Maki
Hanamaru - Rin
Ruby - Hanayo
Dia - Nico
Kanan - Eli
Mari - Nozomi

Honestly I enjoyed Sunshine a bit more than the original, and while the Muse baiting seems like a negative aspect of the show, I believe it was necessary for Chika's growth.
The only thing I didn't like about Sunshine was too much focus on the ChikaRiko relationship. It took away screen time that could have been used on other characters/events and didn't contribute much to the plot. In fact, it felt like I was watching an entirely different show. It also led me to despising Chika a lot.

I know what you mean. I do think that some Muse references were completely necessary. Like I mentioned in my original post, I thought the stuff comparing Hanamaru to Rin was nice, and other tid bits here and there. But it reached a point where we were just drowning in Muse references. Like for fucks sake, they broke the 4th wall with the Kotori meme face by putting it in the OP. I know that wasn't coincidence. Other stuff was just so crazy it felt like trolling. I just wish they had kept a better more respectable balance to it.
Oct 5, 2016 1:54 AM

Aug 2013
Iconic said:
Jonesy974 said:

This quote pretty much sums up my feelings for Love Live Sunshine and the girls of Aqours. By itself, Love Live Sunshine is a good show, but the lazy copy/pasting of the first season and each of the μ's girls is simply too much to ignore. Sunshine also rushed the development of all the girls before quickly pushing them aside to focus on Chika and Riko drama. Kanan was essentially a background character who was all but forgotten until she was needed for some major drama with Mari (which was over in 15 minutes). A rushed season was also one of my complaints with Love Live second season, but at least that season still felt more natural and very satisfying in the end. Sunshine really deserved a 2-cour season to fully develop all the characters in a satisfying way.

I gave this show a 6/10 since MAL wouldn't let me rate Love Live Sunshine 5.5/10.

Yea I see what you mean there. That'd be like if the original LL had Honoka develop some weirdly close relationship with like, Maki, and then make Umi, Kotori and all of the other characters irrelevant.

And while I did appreciate some of the Muse references when done tastefully, I'd still argue that the show would've done better, and been even more successful if it tried to distinguish itself a little bit and develop in it's own way a little more.
Oct 5, 2016 10:15 AM

Sep 2016
Jonesy974 said:

I know what you mean. I do think that some Muse references were completely necessary. Like I mentioned in my original post, I thought the stuff comparing Hanamaru to Rin was nice, and other tid bits here and there. But it reached a point where we were just drowning in Muse references. Like for fucks sake, they broke the 4th wall with the Kotori meme face by putting it in the OP. I know that wasn't coincidence. Other stuff was just so crazy it felt like trolling. I just wish they had kept a better more respectable balance to it.

True true. They really did not need to bait us with potential Muse appearances.
And yeah, I absolutely loved the parallels between Hanamaru and Rin. Personality wise, they're quite different, but they overcome similar insecurities.
...better to be hated for what you are than loved for something you are not.
Oct 7, 2016 4:55 AM
Oct 2016
Small lil theory: The girl at otonokizaka is Kotori w a hair cut/wig, or perhaps a relative. The same hair colour, and eye colour. Also that small shot of her smiling at the girls and her mysterious dissapearance. She had significance so I feel she was DEFINITELY put there for a reason!
Oct 7, 2016 5:14 PM
Sep 2009
Are you even allowed to make an act like that at the concert? As always Sunshine loves to exaggerate.

I really did not like it at first, too much coping but eventually show picked up and actually got me interested.

I would give it 8 but considering how pissed off first several episodes made me and how exaggerated lots of things are, I'll stick with strong 7. If there is ever season 2, I hope they keep series more stand alone and show more of the characters and their relationships, expend their interactions with each other and actually dedicated some proper time to training and trying to be better.
Oct 8, 2016 4:40 PM

Aug 2012
-Seems like this is gonna be slice of life focused, but what was with that scene before the OP
-ze ro
-Is it me or has the fan group gotten a ton more detailed in their character designs
-Wait did that thing at the beginning mean they're performing as an entire school
-Can't really fault Chika's reasoning behind sandbagging the LL performance to raise interest
-Chika's mom is fuckin adorable
-This is a lotta plot progression packed into one half of an episode
-Pre-show rallies with each of the year levels
-Oh right they were wearing their school uniforms on the stage
-Is this even allowed in the rules
-Hey the first year moms and grandmom showed up and met each other
-Chika's solo was in the range that I think she sings pretty poorly in
-They finally drop the name of their first single all the way at the end

I'm not a fan of summary episodes so the second half was kinda not what I was looking for other than the song. It seems that they've kept to the plan of being a self-motivated group with that season summary speech, though. Not much else to say about this specific episode, though.

General comments about the show

Overall high points of the show: Recruitments, solo member focus
Overall low points of the show: It took 12 episodes for Aqours to find their way, and this felt more like an interquel between μ's and Aqours rather than its own standalone series.

Was still a pretty enjoyable watch most of the time.
Oct 9, 2016 6:13 AM

Jul 2008
This episode literally brought my opinion of the show down a point or so. That recap was ridiculous. (Also to be too critical, when Chika starts running around on stage and the other girls just watch her...they would lose the competition. They weren't dancing or singing, just standing there while the music played).
Oct 11, 2016 9:19 AM

Mar 2014
That was a crappy and cringey ending for me
*reaches out hand towards sky*"MINNA LETS SHINE TOGETHER"
*aquors gasps* *smiles at one another*
*continues singing* *CHIKA FLIES OUT OF EXIT???*
What are you talking about, that was some fine piece of ending right there

It was almost as good as your standard Adam Sandler schlock movie ending
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 18, 2016 5:57 PM
Mar 2014
I can't find the episode anywhere! everywhere i check its just episode 12 with 13 in the title ToT
Nov 21, 2016 7:04 PM

Feb 2014
That is it...? O_o
Nov 26, 2016 1:29 AM

Nov 2016
I really hope that Aquors's member and µ's member got to meet together and perform on the stage together if there was 2nd season for this anime,if it happen,I'm gonna be excited and i hope they'll made the 2nd season soon~~
Dec 13, 2016 2:39 AM

Mar 2016
Their parents though loll season 2 please T_T
Dec 28, 2016 4:23 AM

May 2016
-----Love Live! Sunshine!! Episode 13-----

Yehey!! It is finish. Their performance is very promising I really like it. They support each other so that the school will be saved. Love Love Love it!! >.< I hope they will make a season 2 for this :D

Final Rating: 9/10
Jan 3, 2017 11:42 AM

Apr 2008
This series was a positive disappointment for me. I've found the original series mediocre and it didn't click with me at all. I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't.

LLSS was, however, felt like a great series. The characters were more relatable, complexly written and weren't one trick ponies. I especially liked how Chika is not Honoka: she's still a typical genki protagonist, but more aware of her own shortcomings and the reality surrounding her. And in the end, they've started doing their own thing instead of becoming the carbon copy of μ's (which is a good thing in my book because I didn't like them as much even if their songs were much better).

Another positive thing for me that there was actual ship teasing unlike the original, in which you must really had tight-fitted shipping goggles to notice anything; here it was more blatant (I became a Chika x Riko shipper, we'll see how it turns out in the next season if it's coming). I'm a sucker for this kind of content even if it goes nowhere.

8/10
gomennasaiJan 3, 2017 1:22 PM
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Feb 15, 2017 12:22 PM

Feb 2015
Um ... so, was this event now Love Live! or not?
Mar 21, 2017 8:02 AM

Mar 2016
So they managed to turn the 0 to a 1. a nice way to wrap up this season. I don't know what to think about that recap skit. I mean it was creative in a way but some parts of it felt a bit cringey lol. I wonder if they're allowed to even do it.

As someone who Loves the original Love Live! I found mixed feeling in this one .
It did nothing better. Now that isn't bad. No one expected this to be better, but to be just as good as the original. It did things just as good as the original but failed in other aspects though it was still an enjoyable ride. I don't want to compare art and animation. The original LL was produced in 2013 as opposed to sunshine being produced in 2016. Obviously, it'll have better budget and animation especially when it's riding the success and profit the original and muse brought in. The setting was a nice change of pace. I preferred muse songs more also.

I would have liked if the story took a new plot route instead of saving school and kept itself in the zone of a group being inspired to shine with the success of muse and boom of idols. My biggest problem was in the characters. I do prefer Honoka over Chika, and I have my reasons. However, I liked Chika. I love all of the 2nd years especially Riko (my fav). They were well developed.
My problem was with the other character. Dia was developed as the main antagonist for the group only to become a side character in the conflict among 3rd years ("i just sided with Kanan") and wasn't involved much in the resolution to it. Therefore, her development fell flat. Mari was a nice character (a bit too nozomi), and i couldn't stop cringing at some of her engrish. Kanan was pretty good as there was foreshadowing to her role and her relationship with mari was done well.

The first years are probably the least interesting. Yoshiko had a nice centered episode but fell into the background spouting chuuni stuff (and yeah i don't like chuuni characters); she didn't look interactive with the group. She also failed as a running gag for the series unlike Nico who did it well. Same with hanamaru who fell into the background spouting zura, mirai, and eating after her good centered episode drawing parallel b/w her and Rin. Also you don't establish a character as a bookworm but never revisit that trait lol. All this created a lack of chemistry. As for Ruby, similarly had a good centered episode, was more involved with group compared to other first years, but the show over emphasized her cutsey trait. With Dia coming in, i hope we see some sister dynamic between them.

I actually liked it when the 3rd years came in cause we started seeing more training which this series lacked in showing us in the middle. In the original Love Live! the rooftop and stairs became etched in my head due to the amount of short segment of our group training and working hard which makes me appreciate more their performance especially seeing how training is one of the most important activities that bring the group together and helps them so i liked those scenes.
All in all, despite that, i enjoyed it still and hope for a better season 2. 7/10 .
Shishou_23Mar 21, 2017 8:39 AM
Jun 11, 2017 7:13 PM
Jul 2016
The last two episodes started to make the whole wrapping it up feeling a little anti-climatic. I was starting to feel bitter about the final end, but it wasn´t as bad as I thought. That whole stage monologue was fantastic, where did the find time to rehearse that? Still such a great story when summarized like that despite being a rerun of the previous one. I was expecting going on the emotional train but the last 3 episodes really eased the whole anxiety of 1 month of watching Love Live! season 1 to Sunshine!! coming to it´s final end.

Kinda greatful for that though as I hate when good things is over because of the first 24 hours after knowing that was that. You´re so invested in it that you never want it to end. But I wanted that big finale. IT´S LOVE LIVE! FFS! Oh well, so far my next anime in the line have managed to totally put my mind off the previous one and out of the "already miss it-depression".

"Dokuro-chan" did it after "Haganai" by it being so redonkulous.
"High School DxD" did it after "Chuunibyou" by being a much better anime in general. But that wasn´t a too difficult time tbh anyway.
"KissXsis" did it after "High School DxD" by well... Ako & Riko really. Was the toughest end of and anime yet for me though at that time. So thank you ladies.
"K-ON!" did it after "Grisaia" by being another great anime!
"...Zombie desu Ka?" shouldn´t had done it after "K-ON!"... Well it didn´t completely as others had, but it worked enough.
"Sunshine" didn´t do it after "School Idol Project", it rather just made me constantly think of it as it´s the same thing just with different characters so it wasn´t expected either.

But now "Lucky Star" has been the chosen one actually try and dampen the sadness that´s still there if yet not as strong after Love Live! due to how the last 3 episodes didn´t justified my anticipation for the ending. I´ll see tomorrow. 7/10
HilariumosisJun 14, 2017 6:03 PM
Jun 15, 2017 9:32 AM
Sep 2016
ToQYuLovely said:
Was there a 2nd season confirmation?

of course, 2nd Season will be airing Fall 2017
Jun 22, 2017 3:10 PM
Nov 2015
Personally, I enjoyed the original more and thought that Sunshine had just way too many call backs. I think there was only one episode that didn't mention Muse, and while it's cool to see the group I love treated as legends, they definitely over did it. Having said that I also really liked Sunshine, just not quite as much. If they were a bit more independent it'd be perfect imo.

Here's an issue with the fans I have though: just because you like Sunshine more doesn't mean you have to call the original garbage. It ended season 1 well enough as well and the first season wasn't nearly as bad as people here are making it out to be, just defend Sunshine by saying why it's good, not by calling the anime to start it all a pile of trash. Super lame that people gotta draw their battle lines over freaking Love Live. Disappointing.

Anyways, can't wait for season 2 and I hope they finally shut up about Muse lol. I love the characters and think that there's just enough different stuff happening in the story to keep me interested. Also episode 9 might be the best episode of the entire series, original included, so this spin-off definitely has the potential to be great when they focus more on their own characters and less on Muse.
DonnyJaBronieJun 22, 2017 3:20 PM
Oct 5, 2017 3:55 AM

Jun 2016
That was a very heartwarming ending, though I find the speech part very cheesy. Hehe. Anyhoo, I'll give this anime an 8/10. I really enjoyed it and loved all the songs, the characters, their journey, them fighting and continuing going through failures. All the characters are lovable, tbh.

Can't wait for the 2nd season to start airing. Yay!

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 12, 2017 10:26 AM
Jul 2017
Honestly I don't see why so many people dislike this new series. Personally I enjoyed sunshine as much as the first love live, and so far all the characters are pretty good. People seem to complain about the constant references to μ's, but I personally didn't find it to be annoying at all. I think whenever they reference the original series I feel kinda nostalgic, though it's good that Aqours didn't base their motivation solely on μ's. I thought first years could use more character development though, but that's just me. Of course I see that they used some of the same story techniques from the original, but honestly, I think I'm big enough of a fan to not care about that. If it's still school idols doing cute things, I'm in. Besides, it's not like they completely copied the story line. I found the first season of love live to be honestly pretty similar to sunshine, yet so many people are hating on this new series, though I can understand why. Personally the second season of love live was where they really picked it up and became really good in terms of character and story, so I can only hope they do that with sunshine too.
Oct 29, 2017 11:06 AM

Nov 2011
At the beginning, I did not like the series anymore, but as the episodes have gone, the series has been improving. Really catchy both the opening and the ending, I love them! Very interesting characters and narrative, I'm happy to see this first season, now I go to the second.

8/10.
Nov 24, 2017 7:03 AM

Jan 2014
It seemed slightly rushed for an ending, but I liked it. Now onto Season 2.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 23, 2017 10:15 PM

Oct 2015
Ah even after watching the second time, I feel reassured as to how I feel about the show and I really like it till now. I thought they left out any of the characters but they didn't and every drama didn't feel out of nowhere. I feel as if there was a lot of care given in writing the script for this series. Although cheesy at times, that doesn't stop it from becoming endearing and inspirational to watch. Pacing was perfect, once you get out of the phase of comparing sunshine to the original I feel as if you'll appreciate this show even more. 10/10. Suddenly after rewatching the series, I now somewhat appreciate what chika said at the end of episode 7 of season 2

and to the guy who said they only didn't mention muse for only 1 episode, you're obviously not paying attention. They referenced muse on the first 5 episodes and after that they barely even did. Even the muse references contributed to the impact the essence of the show gave. I honestly kept an eye out for muse references since I didn't remember them referencing muse excessively and I was right the first time around and the rewatch was for insurance
EGOISTJan 13, 2018 10:23 PM
Jan 2, 2018 2:30 AM

Dec 2012
Wooooow, yes! This is how you finish a season! Loved the dramatic recap and it really got me when the girls in the audience shouted "Ten!" Aqours found their answer. More than winning, more than following in the footsteps of μ's, they wanted to make their school shine. They wanted people to love and enjoy it as they do. When Chika went off script and got the audience involved...man, what a moment!

Starting up Sunshine, I was worried that it might just be Love Live: Inferior Loli Edition. Instead, it was able to convey what makes Love Live so spectacular through a kaleidoscope of new colors. It manages to take my familiar feelings for idol anime and give them a new shape.

8.5/10
May 6, 2018 12:31 PM

Nov 2014
I mostly liked it more than first Love Live. Sadly, ending was really weak, especially compared to the other one. Maybe it's because this show overall felt more relaxed? No idea, but I really didn't like this episode.
Sep 14, 2018 3:21 PM

Oct 2015
I loved how they did a recap on their struggles throughout their journey to being idols, and the overall performance was awesome. Atleast in the end they were able to turn that zero into a one on the number of applicants to the school.

Overall I think this alternative setting is better than the school idol project of muse. This is because every character has character unlike muse who some were very bland and undeveloped. The story line is authentic because you were able to engage their pain of losing, unlike Muse who cruised almost every huddle without engaging the viewer.

I would say this is a better love live than the alternative and it made me care to cheer for them. I hope they win next time. 8/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 9, 2019 9:08 AM

Sep 2013
I still think i prefer the original series but love this in its own right.

Final performance was great but did they really need that dramatic recap before their song? I would have thought these kind of live shows would have a time limit per song, not let groups try and get emotional support from the crowd.
Apr 23, 2019 2:08 AM
Oct 2017
I wonder how many times Hanamaru Kunikida says "zura"
This is the biggest mystery of the series
Jun 25, 2019 1:12 AM

May 2016
Seeing the girls feeling so emotional when they talked about how far they've gone before their big performance in the regional qualifiers already made just as tearful as they were but that recap they did made me feel so happy for them that I nearly ended up crying a puddle like the time where u's finally filled up the auditorium back then. That introduction from Aqours to everyone in Akiba Dome was very theatrical but I was completely charmed by the whole thing. It's a lot like those backstory parts shown in televised talent shows before the contestants begin but I was really inspired by this one in particular and entertained by how they presented it so creatively. They sent their message to all of Japan by showing how they slowly but persistently worked hard to get where they are now and they topped it all off with a superb performance of Mirai Ticket.

It would've been perfect to perform Step! Zero to One at that very moment considering how prevalent the theme of getting that zero to a one was but it's still really good. Everyone loved their performance so I hope that the organizers didn't end up ruining the fun because of some unexpected rule-stretching happenings that occurred during their time onstage lmao

I wonder what the 2nd season would be like...

Jul 21, 2019 10:25 AM

Aug 2013
Lovely episode. I loved it how they included a recap about their struggles and how they became school idols. The Mirai Ticket performance was awesome.

Overall, this was a fun series. Though I do prefer the original Love Live, this is also great. 8/10. Looking forward to season 2.

Nov 4, 2019 9:09 PM
Apr 2018
Uhm... I was pretty excited for this episode but it left me feeling I watched nothing. First half was super forgettable and the second one was strange: at first, I liked the act Aqours did but when it became basically a recap, I couldn't wait for it to end. Riko was shown to be very worried about the other girls joining only to be revealed that she didn't know how to tell Chika that the rules wouldn't allow new members. I know Chika isn't supposed to be smart but, why did she think they could add more members? Mirai Ticket was okay. Very dissapointed for a finale.

Overall, Sunshine S1, for me, started kinda boring, since it was too similar to the original series, improved with every episode, except for the last one; and because there is one more season I think it will keep this path. Dia grew on me a lot, I love Yohane, wish Kanan had more screentime, Riko and You are cool enough, can't stand Ruby, Hanamaru is in the middle but I liked her backstory, Mari is just there and I don't like Chika as the mc. I'm torn between a 6/10 and 7/10
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Top 5 Favorite Love Live Sunshine Girls

TomCena1114 - Mar 29, 2023

25 by Erikor »»
May 1, 6:32 AM

Poll: » Love Live! Sunshine!! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 27, 2016

142 by nanuha »»
Apr 13, 7:26 AM

Poll: » Love Live! Sunshine!! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2016

214 by Kayroad »»
Dec 18, 2023 6:58 PM

Poll: » Favorite Aquors member ( 1 2 )

ya_hallo - Sep 10, 2016

70 by LemonXChio »»
Nov 7, 2023 5:58 AM

Poll: » Love Live! Sunshine!! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2016

101 by laaala »»
May 9, 2023 1:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.