Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 30, 2016 10:29 PM

Dec 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Just in case there wasn't enough closure, we got this - Rika's first steps outside of Hinamizawa. Honestly, Higurashi is one of those series where I'd be happy to follow the characters even through events perfectly mundane.
Sep 1, 2016 1:21 PM

Oct 2015
An okay read I'd say, and a satisfying ending.
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Jan 1, 2022 5:27 AM

Dec 2009
I still wish to experience even more of an epilogue from Higurashi as a recent completionist of the visual novel (07th Mod), but this was still quite satisfying.

I love the several references and mentions of a continuation to some things from the ending.
I haven't read the visual novel of Higurashi Rei, so I wouldn't be able to notice references from that, but
From; Keiichi still planning on going to the next Angel Mort special with Kameda, his dad now being known for his art, debuting for the Tokyo Festival, Mion studying for high school, Shion taking care of Satoshi in secret, Rena continuing to care and enjoy her time with her father, Satoko cleaning the Houjou house.

As a consumer of the visual novel, it's a little odd to experience Higurashi's comedy being more chaotic with several main characters at once, but I think it's appropriate now that they're at peace, after Matsuribayashi.
Although, I don't know how faithful this is to Ryukishi07's vision, even if it is canon.

... The continued romantic implication teasing of Rika x Akasaka is funny.
Along with; mention of when she caused a sly misunderstanding that had Akasaka strangled on his wife's braid, Satoko packing traps for Keiichi, Rika drinking wine while sulking of getting scratched by a cat and shat on from a bird, Hanyuu eating shuu cream, Shion switching as Mion was fun too.

Overall, the concern of Hanyuu for Rika to live as a 10 year old child again even though she's 100+ years old was great.
I still feel that Hanyuu's part childlike personality as a 1000+ year old God is weird, unlike Rika in comparison, but the female cast are adorable with their catchphrases.

The little moments of romance pairing of Keiichi with Mion and Rena were nice.
From hand holding, face close, Keiichi joking that he'd ask Rena's father for her in marriage as the reason they're escaping while Mion gets jealous- but Rena wanting to sleep next to him like Mion was surprising.
They definitely have a connection from how they can understand each other as equals in a way and enjoy each other as best friends, and they have their moments like that joke, but never anything as clear or serious like Mion's crush on Keiichi which she admits to Shion.
Rena is never clearly revealed to have any romantic feelings, nor does Keiichi. Cute nonetheless.
To be fair, Ryukishi07 never created a canon pairing for Keiichi and left us to wonder what futures and different worlds could make him pair with any of the girls.

The dramatic moments were interesting.
Including (unless it's from Higurashi Rei or another canon) Satoko's past deadly traps to kill her mother and stepfather, but forgetting about them since Satoshi's disappearance.
Rika's memory of her parents camping was bittersweet too.
Satoko treating Keiichi like a brother again was sweet also. Mion's memory of Shion as kids was nice, but left wanting more as it was short.

In the end, Hanyuu's decision in wanting to leave Rika, for her to mature and live normally as a child felt abrupt, but a fine direction since they ended up returning to her anyway with Hanyuu never deciding to truly disappear from Rika's sight.

... I'm still left wanting to know more of what happens to these characters, including Tomitake and Takano especially, but it's nice to see at least one sequel epilogue of Higurashi and the complex Rika Furude. 7/10.
I look forward to playing the visual novel of Higurashi Rei one day to experience the full story of this arc.
waalex11Jan 1, 2022 7:36 PM
Nov 9, 2023 6:49 AM
Sep 2023
this one was just confusing for me. I have heard of the higurashi series but this was the first one I read cause it was written by my favorite manga artist. still did love the art but perhaps I'll read the opther higurashi series later on to catch up w/ this.

More topics from this board

» Is this and Saikoroshi-hen, part of the main story?

SteelingMax - Mar 2, 2018

2 by Epiccgaymer »»
Jan 20, 3:15 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Kokoroiyashi-hen Chapter 6 Discussion

One - Aug 16, 2016

0 by One »»
Aug 16, 2016 5:37 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Kokoroiyashi-hen Chapter 5 Discussion

One - Aug 10, 2016

0 by One »»
Aug 10, 2016 4:37 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Kokoroiyashi-hen Chapter 4 Discussion

One - Aug 4, 2016

0 by One »»
Aug 4, 2016 7:38 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Kokoroiyashi-hen Chapter 3 Discussion

One - Aug 4, 2016

0 by One »»
Aug 4, 2016 7:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.