Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
Would you like a remake?
Aug 28, 2016 5:49 AM

Nov 2015
Hi there! Lately I've talking to other people who love Fruits Basket as much as I do, whether that's the anime or the manga. If you have either seen/read Fruits Basket, then you might know what an impact it may have had on people with it's different perspectives of life, powerful quotes, dealing with problems and the ways everyone faces them. You must have also noticed how the cheerful Tohru manages to make her way into the Souma family, listening and helping their problems. This has personally been a life changing show for me and many others.
Now, getting back to the main topic: if you have seen the anime, you must know it had an open ending, and if you have read the manga, you know how many things they skipped in order to just fit it to 26 episodes. Still after 16 years, the show still lives up to it's hype. However, the great shoujo anime director Akitarou Daichi stated there won't be another season of it. That's how I thought "Well, it might now get a second season, but what about a remake? I mean, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood made it's way up following the manga's storyline, so why can't this shoujo do the same thing?"

I don't know, I might be fantasizing about something that will never happen, I'm aware of that, but I just wanted to check with someone with more experience in the anime community (today it's officially a year since I started watching anime, yay!) could tell me if I'm that wrong and should forget about it (which, sorry, but I wont. I'm a natural dreamer :P). Thank you! :)
Aug 28, 2016 5:54 PM

Nov 2008
A remake would be WONDERFUL. I'm all for this. Unlike other older yet amazing shoujo works, it probably has a good chance because it's so popular.

Aug 29, 2016 3:25 PM

Jun 2007
It'd be nice, but the publishers probably won't see the point in promoting a manga that ended such a long time ago. And any studio that worked on a FB remake would have to contend with its controlling drama queen of a manga author.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Aug 31, 2016 12:43 AM
Jul 2018
I hope so. I mean, the first season hardly covered the territory of the manga, at all, and it changed a lot of aspects, so seeing the manga brought to screen properly would be nice, however, most studios would be extremely hesitant to adapt a 23 volume manga that ended awhile back.

Part of me has the same hopes that they'd do something like this with Kare Kano in addition to Fruits Basket, those two are my favorite basically two of my first shoujo manga and I'd love to see full animated adaptations of them done right....
Aug 31, 2016 7:43 AM

May 2016
It'd be nice, but I'm happy with the series we got.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Aug 31, 2016 7:53 AM

Nov 2014
Honestly, I kinda doubt the possibility of a remake for the reasons already said by others here. If a studio wanted to remake a show, there are plenty of other sources that seem more viable and have a higher chance of getting them some money. On top of that, there is a LOT of shoujo manga that hasn't been adapted yet. Besides, we've already got a great anime adaptation, so that's something to be happy about.

That being said, I'd personally get SO HYPE for an adaptation, lol.
Aug 31, 2016 8:04 AM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion

I don't see it happening since the manga has long since ended, but I've seen stranger things happening, like the FLCL continuation, Parasyte getting revived, or the Aria the Avvenire being a thing. Fruits Basket is one of the first romance anime I've seen, as well as one of the first I've seen that was originally from a shoujo manga, so I'd be glad to relive it again. Though, I'm unsure of how it would be received. Perhaps just as well as Kamisama Hajimemashita?
Nov 19, 2018 6:05 PM

Sep 2018
Shocked said:

I don't see it happening since the manga has long since ended, but I've seen stranger things happening, like the FLCL continuation, Parasyte getting revived, or the Aria the Avvenire being a thing. Fruits Basket is one of the first romance anime I've seen, as well as one of the first I've seen that was originally from a shoujo manga, so I'd be glad to relive it again. Though, I'm unsure of how it would be received. Perhaps just as well as Kamisama Hajimemashita?

I hope you are happy to be wrong

Cencra said:
Hi there! Lately I've talking to other people who love Fruits Basket as much as I do, whether that's the anime or the manga. If you have either seen/read Fruits Basket, then you might know what an impact it may have had on people with it's different perspectives of life, powerful quotes, dealing with problems and the ways everyone faces them. You must have also noticed how the cheerful Tohru manages to make her way into the Souma family, listening and helping their problems. This has personally been a life changing show for me and many others.
Now, getting back to the main topic: if you have seen the anime, you must know it had an open ending, and if you have read the manga, you know how many things they skipped in order to just fit it to 26 episodes. Still after 16 years, the show still lives up to it's hype. However, the great shoujo anime director Akitarou Daichi stated there won't be another season of it. That's how I thought "Well, it might now get a second season, but what about a remake? I mean, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood made it's way up following the manga's storyline, so why can't this shoujo do the same thing?"

I don't know, I might be fantasizing about something that will never happen, I'm aware of that, but I just wanted to check with someone with more experience in the anime community (today it's officially a year since I started watching anime, yay!) could tell me if I'm that wrong and should forget about it (which, sorry, but I wont. I'm a natural dreamer :P). Thank you! :)

And so it got one!
So excited!!

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
ShockedNov 19, 2018 10:05 PM
We are all Misanthropes

Made you learn

Nov 19, 2018 6:06 PM

Sep 2018
Cencra said:

And so it got one!
So excited!!
We are all Misanthropes

Made you learn

Nov 19, 2018 6:07 PM

Jul 2017
And finally it's happening! Nothing is impossible lol

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Nov 19, 2018 6:10 PM
Feb 2014
Yeah, now that i have witnessed this, i have renewed hope that all my other favorite anime will eventually get a remake/continuation too! :D

Hooray for anime miracles!!!! <3 <3 <3
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Nov 19, 2018 10:05 PM

Jan 2010
Bloe said:
Shocked said:

I hope you are happy to be wrong

*adds to my Plan to Watch list*
Nov 19, 2018 10:18 PM

Oct 2018
My my, has it already been that many years since the original series? The reboot looks certainly interesting. It seems the author, Natsuki Takaya, is highly involved with it and hopefully without any contentiousness between her and the director this time. With my fondest hopes, I shall wish the series is made with the greatest care and does well in a faithful adaption.
{~๐•ธ๐–Š๐–“ ๐–”๐–‹ ๐•ฎ๐–š๐–‘๐–™๐–š๐–—๐–Š ๐–‰๐–” ๐–“๐–”๐–™ ๐–๐–†๐–›๐–Š ๐•ฑ๐–”๐–—๐–š๐–’ ๐•พ๐–Ž๐–Œ๐–“๐–†๐–™๐–š๐–—๐–Š๐–˜~}
Nov 19, 2018 10:29 PM
Jul 2018
SKIP. Damn why they don't remake some other anime instead of that GARBAGE
Nov 20, 2018 3:39 AM

Nov 2015
Is... is it ok I cried a little? :')

I just hope it captures the essence of the manga like the first anime did (following the original story, of course)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket Episode 25 Discussion

Alicia3000 - May 7, 2009

45 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 20, 12:59 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket Episode 6 Discussion

Zerosbakainu - Sep 15, 2008

34 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 9, 9:12 AM

» Is there any reason to start with this version rather than the remake?

herofelix77 - Jun 20, 2021

20 by wildhood »»
Mar 7, 6:54 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket Episode 20 Discussion

bluegummiworms - Dec 25, 2008

26 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Feb 29, 6:00 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket Episode 12 Discussion

Zerosbakainu - Sep 22, 2008

25 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Feb 25, 6:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.