Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 22, 2016 12:47 AM

May 2016
Ever since I finished watching Fate/Zero followed UBW, and now the VN one thing has been bugging me this entire time.

How is that Saber never recognized Illya when she first saw her with Berserker ten years after Fate/Zero?

Throughout F/Z Saber has a close friendship with Irisviel, so she had to have known about Illya and what her fate might be if Kiritsugu didn't win the grail for the Einzberns, even if Saber and Illya never spoke to each other during the brief time she was in Germany. We know Saber's memories weren't erased since Kiritsugu placed the scabbard of Excalibur inside Shirou that allowed her to be summoned again. She recognized Kiritsugu's name instantly but understandably didn't tell Shirou or the events of the previous war until later. And yet, when Illya introduced herself before having Berserker attack, Saber hadn't so much as blinked. Shouldn't she have instantly recognized her? Especially seeing how(aside from being a little bigger) Illya looked no different than she had been before?

And on top of that, why hadn't she told Shirou who Illya was if she had recognize her and what her connection to Kiritsugu was? It would have explained everything including Illya's obsession with Shirou right there! Hell, even Illya never told Shirou who her father was. Why? What reason would she have to hide it? The same goes for Saber as well!

So, yeah. Is there any reason for this or did the writers just completely neglect the whole thing?
DirectorKAug 22, 2016 11:56 AM
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Feb 20, 2020 4:47 AM

Nov 2019
She kind of knew her in Heaven's Feel, but I dunno why not in UBW.

You are, but are you?
Feb 20, 2020 12:33 PM

Mar 2019
This is a random necro thread but the easy answer is Zero and Irisviel didn't exist when Stay Night was written. There are so many random inconsistencies that Zero is just an alternate timeline now.
Mar 1, 2020 4:18 AM

May 2018
This is what I got from her character description on MAL:
@DirectorK
"She is very cold and merciless to Illya during most of Fate/stay night despite her being Irisviel's daughter. This is due to the fact that she never asked Irisviel about the name of her daughter, and when Saber sees Illya during the war, she completely disregards the possibility that it could be the same child. She believes that Illya is too young to be the girl she saw getting a piggy-back ride ten years before, and she believes that she would have become more mature like her mother by the time of the Fifth Holy Grail War. She reasons that Illya is a new homunculus completely unrelated to Irisviel with similarities in her appearance due to the Einzbern homunculi looking alike after their creation. Given a chance to casually interact with her, while she doesn't trust Illya at first, she is eventually able to act nicely around her. She is able to freely have fun around her without any worries."
Dunno where they got it from though.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KiraYoshikage - Apr 7, 2012

529 by CondeSebastian »»
May 23, 3:10 AM

» What's next?

infinite_Shadows - Apr 10

14 by Spoopy69 »»
May 17, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - May 12, 2012

589 by frieren2024 »»
Apr 26, 4:02 AM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2012

1325 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2012

655 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.