Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 31, 2010 10:53 AM

May 2009
I was completely overwhelmed by the epicness... Manly tears! I seriously had tears in my eyes...

CurseDestiny said:
∞/10 DOESN'T COME CLOSE TO THIS ONE
Jan 31, 2010 12:16 PM

Nov 2007
best final fight anywhere ever
endless manly tears
Jan 31, 2010 12:25 PM

Aug 2007
RAINBOWS CAME AND BRICKS SHAT
Jan 31, 2010 12:28 PM

Feb 2009
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

WHAT DID I JUST WATCH?! MANGASAM!
Jan 31, 2010 12:33 PM
Jan 2008
GuardianHX said:
Dust2Dust said:
I wasn't really expecting anything since the first recap movie was good but not as much as the serie... But...

That. Was. Fucking. Great.

That made me fully remember why I loved TTGL so much.

Can't... help... myself...
Epicness... Overload...

AEzekrozaeREAZRKLA kreazlroA EKRoazerLZEKRLKZELRZAEP $rpoze $rtlgkERKTLZKAer TLkjzgkaezr jk tg*rzaetj
ao*erraejotoae rµTJKLEARKTMKLZerotj iorJ KLQER%Tsoprjgt

This. By far, this. I cannot say anything better.
Jan 31, 2010 12:56 PM

Nov 2007
This movie made me remember what made TTGL awesome. Each action sequence was well coordinated and the re-telling of the original series was executed excellently. 9/10

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jan 31, 2010 1:30 PM

Jan 2008
Feka said:
Manly tears.
20/10

Jan 31, 2010 2:23 PM

Apr 2009
THAT WAS A TRUELY EPIC! I kinda wish the series' fight against the Anti-Spiral was like this... but oh well,,

F-ING EPIC! Some people were saying that they didn't want to waste their time on the movie because they knew how it would end.... I can say that I was not disappointed by either Lagann movie!
Jan 31, 2010 2:52 PM

Mar 2009
+∞ to everything said .. THAT LAST FIGHT WAS AWESOME, EVERYONE GOT A CROWNING MOMENT OF AWESOME, NIA ROCKED (I didn't like her very much in the series tbh, but here) AND OH MAN THAT FIST FIGHT ALONE IS BEYOND FIGHT CLUB LEVEL AND THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING OMG OMG OMG IT WAS SO FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC AAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *EXPLODE*
Jan 31, 2010 3:13 PM

Oct 2009
I jizzed in my pants and cried tears of manliness after watching the TV show's ending. Mecha the size of galaxies... WTF!

However... Nothing in existence can describe the EPICNESS of the ending.

NO OTHER ANIME WILL EVER COMPARE TO THE "GARNESS" of Lagann-hen!!
Lord_TerentiusJan 31, 2010 3:31 PM

Jan 31, 2010 3:49 PM

Apr 2009
How do I put it?

Not as good and climatic as the TV series. This is not a recap, it rewrites some parts of the original script. I'm not an integralist bitch who likes the original version only, but the movie is just does not build all the despair up, form the resolves or postpones the climax as good as the many TV episodes.
Oh, and a mecha for Nia and all the others? A final SUPER Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? I call that fanservice.

This is good, aka 7/10. It would be definitely higher if the movie was a standalone production. But in the end this is just the shadow of its predecessor, so I can't bring myself to rate it any higher.
Jan 31, 2010 4:14 PM

Nov 2007
Agreed with Desirio. That said, I still loved it in all it's fanserviceness. Can't say I would recommend anyone these movies over the series in any circumstances since they don't tie things together very well, hence all the points show tried to made has been lost with exception of the older fans who has seen the series already.

But the fistfight should've found it's way to the series since it delivered the final fight even better than the original and the whole thing still maintained Gurren Lagann chronologically shedding itself.
Jan 31, 2010 4:33 PM
Nov 2008
HOLY SHIT.
Jan 31, 2010 8:40 PM

May 2008
unspeakable. i was shocked while watching the last half of the movie, so FREAKIN GOOD, didnt pay attention to my surroundings in my house, even my phone was ringing i didnt pick it up lol, EPIC MOVIE it deserves to be yelled out HOLY SHIT! EPIC ANIME!

RAW RAW FIGHT THE POWAH!

Jan 31, 2010 8:54 PM

Sep 2008
Excuse me while I add to the general opinion on this movie:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT MIND WAS BLOWN CANT PUT IT INTO GODDAMN WORDS EPICCCICICICCICICIC ZOMGOMGOMGOMGOZOMGZOMGOMFGDSAKLGJQKLGBQEKGEKFHD:LGD DLGK HDLK SDHGKJ DSGHDSKJGHSD JKGHQ:EQFH~!!!!~!!!!11!!one!11

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen in my whole life.
Jan 31, 2010 9:30 PM

Dec 2008
Well, this sure was tons of fun to look at, but the TV series is still better.
Jan 31, 2010 9:32 PM
Nov 2009
Chuck Norris says its GAR.
Jan 31, 2010 10:28 PM

Mar 2009
IMHO it's not meant to be stand-alone .. I totally see this as supplementary to the series .. in that role IT'S FUCKING AWESOME, BECAUSE IT MAKES THE ENDING EVEN COOLER than original .. the build-up is in the series

they could've just left everything the same and simply compressed .. but they didn't, they changed TTGLs, gave us a Kamina SuperTTGL and THE FIST FIGHT OMG THAT FIST FIGHT WAS MANLIER THEN I'LL EVER BE
Jan 31, 2010 11:30 PM

Nov 2007
I now feel that every single mech fight should devolve into a man-on-man fist fight
Feb 1, 2010 12:51 AM

Sep 2008
I can safely say that was one of the better thing I've seen. Even if the entire ending was fanservice, at least they didn't royally fuck it up, and kept to the original and just added on.

If there was ever a BD released in the US, I'd get it and rewatch it <3
Feb 1, 2010 1:05 AM

May 2007
CC-Kallen said:
HOLY SHIT.
This, but in bold. HOLY SHIT.

The amount of epicness in this shit can't ever be matched by any amount of Spiral power and GARness. ∞/1, or even ∞/0, whichever is more awesome.
Feb 1, 2010 1:33 AM

Mar 2009
THIS WAS THE BEST ANIME MOVIE EVER
it was good new scenes and the new fight
the fistfight , i almost hit the laptop when i was shadowboxing
love the new TTgunmen to the TTgurren dan crew
one word
EPIC
i am going to be the i the one with the biggest manga pocket collgection

url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/enerjak&sclick=1][/url]
Feb 1, 2010 2:43 AM

Jan 2010
Desirio said:
How do I put it?

Not as good and climatic as the TV series. This is not a recap, it rewrites some parts of the original script. I'm not an integralist bitch who likes the original version only, but the movie is just does not build all the despair up, form the resolves or postpones the climax as good as the many TV episodes.
Oh, and a mecha for Nia and all the others? A final SUPER Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? I call that fanservice.

This is good, aka 7/10. It would be definitely higher if the movie was a standalone production. But in the end this is just the shadow of its predecessor, so I can't bring myself to rate it any higher.

As far as the story goes, I agree, it doesn't do the series justice, especially as a standalone. But the individual scenes (Read: last fight) that they added, when thought of as a supplement to the series, had me forget about all that and instead had me thinking what other's were...

HOLY SHIT OMG WTB BBQ MANLY TEARS ASLKDFJKLASEM,MASMEKIO AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH EPIC
Feb 1, 2010 3:01 AM

Sep 2009
It is impossible to be more epic than TTGL. TTGL goes beyond the impossible. Who the hell do you think is in this move?

Exactly.

10/10 is an understatement.
Feb 1, 2010 4:43 AM

Apr 2009
5layer said:
Excuse me while I add to the general opinion on this movie:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT MIND WAS BLOWN CANT PUT IT INTO GODDAMN WORDS EPICCCICICICCICICIC ZOMGOMGOMGOMGOZOMGZOMGOMFGDSAKLGJQKLGBQEKGEKFHD:LGD DLGK HDLK SDHGKJ DSGHDSKJGHSD JKGHQ:EQFH~!!!!~!!!!11!!one!11

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen in my whole life.

Pretty much this.
Feb 1, 2010 6:12 AM

Oct 2008
Desirio said:
How do I put it?

Orangevision said:
Agreed with Desirio. That said, I still loved it in all it's fanserviceness. Can't say I would recommend anyone these movies over the series in any circumstances since they don't tie things together very well, hence all the points show tried to made has been lost with exception of the older fans who has seen the series already.

But the fistfight should've found it's way to the series since it delivered the final fight even better than the original and the whole thing still maintained Gurren Lagann chronologically shedding itself.

lmfao minorities
Feb 1, 2010 6:14 AM

Dec 2008
Except they're right.
Feb 1, 2010 6:26 AM

Oct 2008
lol

Feb 1, 2010 6:41 AM

Mar 2009
infinity^infinity
Feb 1, 2010 7:03 AM

Dec 2008
No possible response amounts to "lol" I guess?

Seriously though, as great as it looked—the new stuff was awesome to behold, they included bits from my favorite of the Parallel Works, yes the fistfight was badass, and there were breasts aplenty—so much was crammed in that the buildup and emotional impact of the TV series was totally gone here, and thus as furious as the action was it never got my blood pumping in quite the same way. As such it felt less like a movie, and more like some crazy montage of hastily edited plot points from the series and new action scenes made solely to please fanboys who will scream from the rooftops that it's the greatest thing ever.

I liked it, but again: TV series is still better.
Feb 1, 2010 7:20 AM

Mar 2009
it is impossible to cram whole series into 2 movies .. the series themselves seemed kinda rushed at the 2-nd half IMHO .. but we got improvement and NEW stuff on the best parts .. if they hadn't added new stuff to the end and instead made start/middle longer it would've just been a recap (& still too short to fit all)

I didn't watch this for the recap or for story - TV series're for that .. I watched for new animation and scenes I was NOT dissapointed

in fact simply a good recap movie for any series is kinda fail to me - what's the point, why bother watching it if you've seen the series (those who haven't - watch them) .. especially if the series isn't drawn out (like Naruto xD)
Feb 1, 2010 7:28 AM

Dec 2008
This wasn't quite a recap movie since there was so much new animation and tons of adjustments to the story. I don't think every change was what I'd call an improvement, either, especially since so much of it was done with little to no buildup. You don't need to tell me what you watched it for. It was the same for me: I wanted to see the new stuff. It still had to tell a story, though, and compared to the TV series it failed at that.

You know, essentially you're only proving exactly what I said.
Feb 1, 2010 7:39 AM

Mar 2009
for me it didn't have to tell the story, cuz i already know the story and I know that story is impossible to fit into a 2hr movie

if they just released the 'new' final fight I'd still give it a 10 .. it WAS THAT GOOD .. first movie's fight was nowhere near - it was pretty creative to have them fight all generals at once, give Viral a Dai-Gurren etc., but it's too short compared to the series and the generals combined mecha literally lived just seconds .. and Lordgenome fight was very rushed (it wasn't even in the first movie) .. Simon had a CMOA though, but still nowhere near 2-nd movie epicness

basically the original already had beyond awesome ending/fight and this IMPROVED the beyond awesome

also, that scene with Simon drilling for water and then telling to plant seeds etc. - was it in the original ? if no, then more major pts. for the movie

---
I wanted to see the new stuff. It still had to tell a story
---
either one or the other .. I choose the former
koteg-senpaiFeb 1, 2010 7:42 AM
Feb 1, 2010 11:28 AM

Jan 2008
Nice extra footage but, imo, TTGL's strength is in the first viewing (ridiculous plot and all the explosions). Watching it for the second time isn't as much exciting. Therefore, not much of an impact after having watched tv series.

8/10

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Feb 1, 2010 11:58 AM

Mar 2009
I still cried though .. manly tears ofc
Feb 1, 2010 1:23 PM

Oct 2007
I cried all over again when Sorairo Days started and when Kamina appeared behind Simon. It got me during the tv series, and damn it got me again :'(
Feb 1, 2010 2:18 PM

Aug 2008
Better than the tv series version.

That is the highest praise anyone can give it and that's what I'm giving it.
The Cart Driver <-- My awesome anime blog
Feb 1, 2010 4:01 PM

Jul 2009
AHHHHHH! ORGASM IN MY MOUTH!!!!!!
Feb 1, 2010 6:18 PM
Oct 2007
As I see it, the movie's main problem was that they didn't dare to change the story enough. The movie was all about Simon and Nia's story, and the scenes with Simon and Nia were very touching and easily the best part in the entire movie. However, as a result, all scenes without Simon and Nia felt pointless and lacking real emotional punch. That leads to my main complaint: if Simon and Nia were the emotional weight of the film, they should have had Simon or Nia in all scenes! But that wasn't the case and as a result parts of the film feel tedious and without real worth.

For example, there was no need for Rossiu or Kittan's subplots: the time and effort spent on them was wasted since their existence added nothing to the main story and they lacked the substance they had in the TV show and ultimately were just there for familiarity's sake. And it isn't just that the time spent on them was wasted, the annoyance is that the time spent on Rossiu and Kittan could have been used to give proper development to characters that would be more relevant in the long run like Yoko or Gimmy and Darry, characters that were actually part of the climax. An action movie is supposed to use all of its strength into leading towards a single climax, Lagann-hen had excellent scenes and a powerful climax... but it also had a bunch of fluff that could have been spent into leading into the climax better.
7ThFeb 1, 2010 6:21 PM
Feb 1, 2010 6:38 PM

Dec 2008
Yeah. Its pacing as a movie was terrible. All this, "I ALREADY KNOW TEH PLOT, TEH MOVIE DUN NEED TO HAVE A STORY PERFECT 10!!!" is totally ridiculous fandumb. It's (presumably) a movie, and if it's going to pretend to be a movie instead of some narrative-free montage of SUPER-GALACTIC GAR and FISTICUFFS (which would have been just fine with me), then ... it needs to tell its story well. It did not (as 7Th explained well enough). Therefore, strong as those visuals were, it failed as a movie.

I think that although TTGL is neatly divided into two arcs, a trilogy might have fared better since there was too much to pack into two movies. Either that or they could have just made one gigantic "End of TTGL" where all they did was concentrate on the finale, not having to bother with hastily rushing through plot points leading up to it.
Feb 1, 2010 7:07 PM

Jun 2008
DaBigD said:
CC-Kallen said:
HOLY SHIT.
This, but in bold. HOLY SHIT.

The amount of epicness in this shit can't ever be matched by any amount of Spiral power and GARness. ∞/1, or even ∞/0, whichever is more awesome.
Well ∞/1 = ∞. Pretty mandane, while ∞/0 = undefined....the proverbial tear in the very fabric of time and space.

Damn that fight was awesome. Words can't do it justice.

But you're all correct, to much was skipped to make sense if all you're going to watch are the movies.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Feb 1, 2010 7:23 PM
Oct 2007
antitype said:
Yeah. Its pacing as a movie was terrible. All this, "I ALREADY KNOW TEH PLOT, TEH MOVIE DUN NEED TO HAVE A STORY PERFECT 10!!!" is totally ridiculous fandumb. It's (presumably) a movie, and if it's going to pretend to be a movie instead of some narrative-free montage of SUPER-GALACTIC GAR and FISTICUFFS (which would have been just fine with me), then ... it needs to tell its story well. It did not (as 7Th explained well enough). Therefore, strong as those visuals were, it failed as a movie.

I think that although TTGL is neatly divided into two arcs, a trilogy might have fared better since there was too much to pack into two movies. Either that or they could have just made one gigantic "End of TTGL" where all they did was concentrate on the finale, not having to bother with hastily rushing through plot points leading up to it.

They should have changed the story more, that is all. The problems with the movie were that all scenes not featuring Simon and Nia felt pointless and that it had way too many climaxes. They should have organized things a better and they should have focused all of the scenes on Simon and Nia, who were the emotional weight of the story and probably the part of the movie that turned out better than the TV show counterpart.

I loved the movie because the Simon and Nia scenes were adorable and very touching and the climax was excellently animated... but the movie had way too much "filler" interrupting the substance, filler that was there because they were too afraid of fully diverging from the TV show as fully diverging from the TV show would have made recycling scenes harder. It's a movie that had the potential to be a masterpiece but fell short due to obvious budget constraints and that's what hurts me more.
Feb 1, 2010 7:46 PM

Oct 2009
I'd agree with the above comments, if they were aimed at Gurren-hen. You can't watch Gurren-hen and get the plot of the show.

But if someone watched up to Lordgenome, then saw Lagann-hen I think Lagann-hen is beyond sufficient to cover the plot. It certainly had enough awesome to make up for it!

As for the focus of the main cast... It makes more sense this way. Mostly with the few changes they made to Rossiu.

Gurren-hen is not Lagann-hen. Lagann-hen is a masterpiece. I don't think it could possibly be done any better. There were even a few *slight* plot inconsistencies that were in the anime that the movie set straight.

To be fair, I won't say the movie is better than the anime, or indeed the anime is better than the movie. That's like asking what's more: Infinity or Intinity. Clearly the answer is Infinity!
Feb 2, 2010 12:41 AM

Mar 2009
like I said - we would've simply at the best gotten a good movie compressed adaptation then (with a compressed end, cuz you'd need time for the plot in the middle and probably w/o the new end-fight) .. you might've liked that, I wouldn't, because i would've already seen it all in TV series .. instead this gave a killer ending and supplemented the series nicely .. thus 10/10
Feb 2, 2010 2:09 AM

Apr 2009
Sorry but your comment is of the "I like it better this way" kind, therefore not very appealing to people with a different opinion from yours. :)

I think, as many stated, that this movie was just halfway between a recap and a rewriting of the story: it's a hybrid, and because of that it doesn't delivery completely.

Sure, the last fight might be cool (although I still prefer the anime one)... Still, the movie changes enough things to be different from the TV version, but not nearly enough to be a new experience. I don't know what I was expecting from the movie, but I'm sure it was not this. :)
Feb 2, 2010 2:28 AM

Mar 2009
same vice-versa

and I wanted a hybrid

anyway, to each their own
Feb 2, 2010 3:12 AM

Apr 2009
Wow. Ok.

Nice talking to you.
Feb 2, 2010 3:30 AM

Jan 2010
So anyways about boob missles...
Feb 2, 2010 4:04 AM

May 2009
Shimy said:
So anyways about boob missles...
Win.
Feb 2, 2010 5:10 AM

Mar 2009
those nipples can kill-a-bear ! *LOL *
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does [spoiler] die in this movie?

RedSkittleFox - Mar 30, 2019

3 by ChiefGamer »»
Jan 20, 9:16 AM

» How do I watch this?

kelcollin - Jun 22, 2021

2 by gmadhava »»
Jul 22, 2021 3:13 AM

» Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Lagann-Hen worth watching?

Zaldun - Jun 11, 2016

6 by Barad5 »»
Nov 1, 2020 10:51 AM

» Huge spoiler in the synopsis

Yngvi - Apr 14, 2016

2 by who_dat_ninja »»
Nov 8, 2016 3:18 PM

» Added scenes (also, spoilers in the synopsis)

dextronaut - Mar 12, 2013

1 by EratiK »»
Oct 5, 2013 9:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.