Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 4, 2016 11:13 AM

Sep 2009
Oh man Yumemi's thoughts towards the end...

This is pretty decent for 5 episodes. 7/10 for me.
Aug 4, 2016 11:13 AM

Sep 2014
Great adaptation overall. Beautiful visuals and message.

The OST in this episode was actually good from a musical perspective, but they never should have changed it. The original just fits the scene and makes it a lot more powerful by making you feel what you need to feel in this final scene.

In terms of feels, I feel episode 3 was decisively more moving than this one. I was expecting this episode to hit a lot harder than it did, but it was still a beautiful adaptation. Anyone who liked this should read the visual novel - it's also relatively short and delivers a much more emotional experience during the projection and the final scene.

Oh, I almost forgot. The moment Yumemi gets hit was kinda... odd? It seemed like a poor decision to let the OST take over and remove all sorts of sound. Not sure if anyone else agrees with me. There's also the fact that she never addressed the robot, which shouldn't have been removed.
Aug 4, 2016 11:23 AM
Dec 2011
Well I loved this series! I played some of the vn but didn't finish it.
Aug 4, 2016 11:28 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
A decent adaptation to a jewel of a VN. I wish they'd kept more of the OST though.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 4, 2016 11:48 AM

Jul 2009
Christ...Key always make me salty with those VNs. The visuals, OST and the message which they tried to pass was great to watch and hear.

Now it's time to wait for the movie.
Aug 4, 2016 12:51 PM

Jan 2013
128 exabytes of storage is very impressive.
That's roughly 500,000 years worth of 4k video recording 24/7.

Anyways, no twist ending, didn't hit me as hard as expected.
8/10
Aug 4, 2016 1:04 PM

Oct 2012
The feels...
RediceRyan said:
128 exabytes of storage is very impressive.
That's roughly 500,000 years worth of 4k video recording 24/7.

Anyways, no twist ending, didn't hit me as hard as expected.
8/10

Even if it were 8k+3d it would still be endless...
I'm learning English so maybe I make mistakes :)
Aug 4, 2016 1:05 PM
Dec 2010
Dark_Kain said:
They cut out my favourite moment in the VN: when the Junker realizes that the warmech is just like Yumemi; trying to fool itself that the city is still inhabitated and trying to protect the long dead inhabitants. Kind of a bummer.

Yeah, this is what I referencing in my spoiler tag post in the Ep4 thread. The Crab is unique from the other robots that move around the city because it's been there from since the Fall. They were both left behind when humans abandoned the city. It and Yumemi are more unique and alike that the anime gave it credit for.

Still a good adaptation overall.
Aug 4, 2016 1:07 PM

Nov 2011
i got hit hard by the feels train.
Hate Keeps me warm
Aug 4, 2016 1:26 PM

Aug 2013
5/10 for me it was ok didn't feel anything from this series though probably because it was a robot.
Aug 4, 2016 1:37 PM

Nov 2011
Watching this was a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. I would have cried but unfortunately I don't have a tear function :(

Nevertheless the feel train hit me too. Now I want to play the Visual Novel myself.
Aug 4, 2016 1:43 PM
Oct 2015
I won't say much, but for only 5 episodes, that was one of the best anime i've ever watched, it touched me so hard, then i looked for the visual novel, man i am now crying like a baby. 10/10 it's, for me at least, a masterpiece!
Aug 4, 2016 2:28 PM
Jul 2018
FlamepriesT said:
Great adaptation overall. Beautiful visuals and message.

The OST in this episode was actually good from a musical perspective, but they never should have changed it. The original just fits the scene and makes it a lot more powerful by making you feel what you need to feel in this final scene.

In terms of feels, I feel episode 3 was decisively more moving than this one. I was expecting this episode to hit a lot harder than it did, but it was still a beautiful adaptation. Anyone who liked this should read the visual novel - it's also relatively short and delivers a much more emotional experience during the projection and the final scene.

Oh, I almost forgot. The moment Yumemi gets hit was kinda... odd? It seemed like a poor decision to let the OST take over and remove all sorts of sound. Not sure if anyone else agrees with me. There's also the fact that she never addressed the robot, which shouldn't have been removed.

I can agree with this actually, it just felt rather... weird, and as well, being underwhelmed as well. But that's just me.

I can agree in the end from your previous statement that Episode 3 was the best around in terms of emotional impact. In here its kinda double edged for my end.
Aug 4, 2016 2:37 PM

Jul 2014
I totally didn't go into this episode expecting it to tear my heart out and leave me in a pool of tears.

Kudos to David Production on this ONA adaptation. I will eagerly await the movie to come out in hopes that we shall see Yumemi yet again.
Aug 4, 2016 2:46 PM

Aug 2010
Damn that was sad asf. YUMEMIIII D:

Her "I am a little broken" and her entire monologue about crying was so beautiful.

Junker saying he's a Starteller now was so sweet :*)

OST was amazing!!
Aug 4, 2016 3:08 PM

May 2009
What the fuck ;_; why does it have to break my heart after hurting it for 4 episodes ;_;
They better show me a shining star in the movie, cause this show is beautiful and interesting. I like it very much!
Aug 4, 2016 3:15 PM

May 2015
Fucking damn, them tears came down ;__;.... That was so beautiful, yet so sad... That ending, "I'm a starteller." really hit me even more. Honestly, I can't wait for the movie. 10/10. Lovely ED as well.

Aug 4, 2016 3:24 PM

Sep 2015
Definitely one of my favorite anime this season! What a nice ride, 8/10

Also, those feels ;-;
Aug 4, 2016 4:07 PM

Jul 2016
This really brings nostalgia as well as FEELSSSSS!!!

The flow is well handled although they seems to skip some parts from the VN or maybe it's my mind playing trick on me....

Anyways a 9/10 for me~~
Aug 4, 2016 4:40 PM

Jun 2013
i don't feel anything for her but i feel sad for the spider machine
Aug 4, 2016 4:58 PM

Jul 2015
I don't know anything about the visual novel, so I don't know how things actually went, but from my perspective, this was a pretty dang good little series, I had a bit of a hard time getting into it at first, and the robot girl was kind of annoying, but in the time this series lasted, she really started growing on me. I liked her a lot by the end, and even though I knew she wasn't gonna make it, it still hit me very, very hard, I barely managed to hold back the tears. Had I read the visual novel, I probably would have cried my self a small river. Very good series, it gets a 9/10 from me.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Aug 4, 2016 5:45 PM

Jan 2014
AzureSymphony said:
Sabrael said:
I never played the game, but this could have easily been made into 12 full episodes (sacrificing the accuracy of the adaptation of course).

They could have expanded the world, shown us a village or 2 with more characters in the mix, as well as having the MC go back and forth from his village to get supplies to repair the star projector (maybe have his village get attacked in the process). They really could have done a lot with the small amount of content they had.

It absolutely couldn't, all those things you want don't exist in the VN in any shape or form. What you're actually asking for is the source material to be butchered and rewritten beyond all recognition. The upcoming movie Hoshi no Hito (an epilogue set decades in the future, originally a drama CD) will cover more about the state of the world and how humans are living if that's what you want.

That's exactly what I want to see, I'm really looking forward to the movie coming out.

Now, I understand that those things don't exist in the game, however the makers absolutely could have expanded the world significantly (with the sacrifice of accuracy as I stated and as you pointed out). They just needed creativity like a novelist who makes something out of nothing, but unlike a novelist, they would be building around an already outlined foundation. Deepening the time spent/relationship of the 2 MC's as well as giving the flashback with the un-named guy blowing up more meaning would have a greater impact on the viewers emotionally. I know a good fraction of fans would have been disappointed with the story being elongated, but I firmly believe that the number of potential watchers would have been greatly increased if this was made regularly i.e. 12 episodes (which something like this deserves) instead of just ONA. It just seems like a waste for something like this to be overlooked so easily.

But yeah, feel free to let me know your thoughts as you seem to actually have played the game unlike me.
Aug 4, 2016 7:26 PM
Jul 2013
It was an alright series. 5 episodes simply isn't enough content for me to really get attached to the characters though, no matter how good the story is. It would have benefited from being at least 12 episodes long, imo.
Aug 4, 2016 7:40 PM

Aug 2012
Well, I felt..a little? I dunno, I remember the VN leaving me with a similar foreboding and emptiness through its kind of reserved and somber tone and message, but even then it made me tear up at least a little. This seemed like they really wanted to tone the nakige down for the sake of that somberness, which is something I can respect for sure, but I dunno it did feel a little flat at times. And the somber tone imo wouldn't have been hurt by playing Perfectly Human, so I feel like that was a huge mistake. Just listening to the track after watching the episode had me closer to tearing up than Yumemi's heart crushing last words in the episode.

A more intense direction for the fatal shot scene, and Perfectly Human would have made the last few minutes much more powerful, but instead I'm only left feeling..a little broken? Maybe that was what was intended though and the residual weight this leaves on your heart is the most important thing that they wanted to deliver on, in which case it was a job well done. Either way, it's still a great adaptation, and I'm just glad it got the adaptation it deserved by people who truly wanted to get the right things across with it and not just focus on making it a mass appeal.

FlamepriesT said:

Yeah the direction was very questionable there, maybe more so than leaving out Perfectly Human. It felt like how you'd summarize the dramatic events of a previous episode at the start of a shounen or something. As mentioned I think it's because they wanted to tone it down so that the takeaway would be more of a somber piece of advice to humanity to hold onto its humanity, but for me it kind of detracted from the more powerful following scene instead.
Aug 4, 2016 9:01 PM
Mar 2015
Smudy said:
That was really, really sad, man. I couldn't but let tears flow at the end.

''I'm a starteller'' FUCK! ;-;

8/10, really good, little piece of KEY. Brilliant adaptation as far as i can see. David Production should do Rewrite as well, but that's too late now.

it more than awesome
Aug 4, 2016 9:15 PM

Jul 2014
A sad ending is not always a satisfactory end. I liked Yumemi, i cried with the scene
but then I can go on with my life.

I don't know, i think it needed more time or something.

The rain tears part........fantastic!
Aug 4, 2016 9:38 PM

Jun 2013
Probably not what most people are focusing on this episode, but I really appreciate the small detail that Yumemi's memory disk is 128 exabytes.

This was a touching story. Glad this VN got the adaptation.
Aug 4, 2016 10:20 PM

Dec 2015
Incredibly beautiful.

The last song sounded a lot like Nearer my god to thee.

Twintail_NamiAug 4, 2016 10:27 PM
Aug 4, 2016 10:22 PM

Jun 2012
I did not want to feel these feelings. Its been a while since an anime made me feel a strong emotion. Well done, I cant wait for the movie.
Aug 4, 2016 11:35 PM

Oct 2014
Well, at least the last chapter isn't changed at all.
They could have done better in a lot of technical things, tbh,
but just seeing and hearing the last chapter turned into anime is enough for me. :'(
Aug 5, 2016 12:58 AM

Mar 2014
Another VN reader throwing in his vote for "Why the fuck did they not use Perfectly Human."

The more I reflect on the scene, the more disappointed I am that it was left out. Part of what makes the scene so heartbreaking is the somber, almost despairing tone of the track, coupled with Yumemi's always-cheerful, naive shell starting to crack. Wanna know why I still tear up every time I hear that damn song? Because the lines it's made to accentuate - the plea that it builds up to: "Why did everything break?"

"Perfectly Human", as a song reference, doesn't just refer to how Yumemi has hopes and dreams, like any human; how her goal for happiness is no different than any other human's. It also refers to how even she, a robot seemingly oblivious to the apocalypse itself, still feels anguish when faced with the reality of a broken world.

Yumemi, the last pure thing in that acid-rain soaked world, questioning why everything was destroyed and decayed? That is a suckerpunch, an emotional crescendo that the out-of-place, "hopeful" remix of the main theme completely failed to support.
Aug 5, 2016 5:00 AM

Sep 2010
Quite good series... Last moments of Yumemi is :'(

Finale - 5/5
Series - 7/10
Aug 5, 2016 5:19 AM

Feb 2008
A truly fine episode. Heart-wrenching, yet with a glimmer of hope.
Aug 5, 2016 6:44 AM
Nov 2012
As one who had read the VN before it got the official translation.... I didn't miss Perfectly Human at all, and yet this ending still got to me like it did before anyway.

Part of why I think it worked for me is because the lack of any background music means that Yumemi's voice becomes a lot more distinct, and therefore her emotions get conveyed better in the anime: there's no need for BGM to emphasize that, instead letting her words set the mood, and it's effective in that. The BGM is needed for the VN because it's required to set the atmosphere for the scene since it has to take into account a variable reading speed for different people even with voice acting, but for the anime where the pacing is set in stone they can easily remove the need for that, and just let Yumemi herself set the tone.

For emotional or heartwrenching scenes like this one, I'm always of the opinion that "less is more" (hence why I get annoyed at the scant views of telenovelas I sometimes catch which drown out the dramatic scene with very loud sad music, effectively killing it), and in this case it just works.
Aug 5, 2016 6:55 AM

Apr 2015
I must admit that as for someone who has played the VN long ago (as in back in using the fan translation patch) I have forgotten a lot about. Not to mention this is probably my first baby VN (which is also doing this VN a huge injustice). I watched the anime for these reasons. And because who doesn't want animation of what they've read?

And I thought "huh? that's exactly what I remembered about it, but why am I not hit by the feels train? because I swear that back in the VN I was even more disturbed by it". The two posters answered me.

1. Junker was far more critically wounded and is also about to die. Yumemi was "crying" because of his state. She failed as a robot whose role was to serve humanity.

2. The tidbit where Junker realizes that Yumemi and the ghost in the shell robot (Takuma iirc) are under the huge false impression that they're still serving humans.

3. The VN is also projecting about Yumemi's SD memory disk. After the junker dies, her SD memory will only be treated as trash by any survivor that would happen to loot it. The memory short circuits or something thus the cycle of irony will only continue in vain. That shit was plenty painful for me, and the anime clearly threw this huge tidbit.

4. And of course, the implication that there was actually nothing on the other side of the wall. Which make sense, because muh nukes.
kidlat020Aug 5, 2016 6:59 AM
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Aug 5, 2016 8:09 AM

Apr 2011
Can somebody tell me (yeah use spoiler tags probably) what actually happens in the movie?
Not the ENDING but I heard it is longer into the future?

Did he manage to get a new body for Yumemi?
I can't imagine a full movie WITHOUT the one of the two main characters just missing.
Because if she is not there, I won't even bother watching it (and I am in Japan at that time of the release so I would actually watch it in the cinema).
Aug 5, 2016 8:40 AM

Apr 2012
FVCCCK! I knew I was going to bawled my eyes out at the end!
Damn This was so great. The feels hit me like a tidal wave.
I had hope that she would be okay but alas it was not to be.
This such a heartbreaking ONA.
From a person who only watched the anime and not played the VN I'll give it a solid 10/10.
The Art of Shipping is no mere game. It can be small skirmishes to huge nation size wars.
Of course some will claim their ship is the BATTLESHIP but they all do. This is why battles occur because of factions fighting each other to justify their favourite ship.
And thus SHIP to SHIP combat occurs almost anytime even now.
Beware, Threading into the Shipping battlefield will be bloody.... What are you waiting for?
Aug 5, 2016 9:31 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Didn't get a chance to plow through the VN before watching all this but the story was well put together and production values were great. I think I'll give the VN a run-through anyway but I think this was a pretty good adaptation regardless which managed to captured a distinct and sombre tone throughout all of it.
Aug 5, 2016 9:37 AM
Feb 2016
Don't you..

Damm..! :'(
Aug 5, 2016 11:25 AM

Jun 2014
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... :'C...
“I’ve found it. I finally found it. Something only I can protect...
A precious treasure only I can protect. It was right here. Right in front of me, all along…”

Aug 5, 2016 2:22 PM

Mar 2015
Even though I'm so skeptical about Yumemi conscious existence through out the whole five episodes, and how ridiculus if she looks like IG-88. I'm gonna admit that they executed the her last few seconds pretty well, I almost get emotional. This scene is the exact copy of Bade Runner's ending.

Aug 5, 2016 5:40 PM

May 2011
Damn it that was too saddening. This was a very, very good Anime for having only 5 episodes. Easily one of, if not the best VN adaptation I've watched. Looking forward to that side story Movie. Hopefully with a sort of different ending.
Aug 5, 2016 6:26 PM

Jul 2014
"Why is the world all wrong?"

This line, this single line alone manages to fill a good 8 buckets from me. It is this line that tells all of us that Yumemi is more human than anyone else in this wretched wasteland. She is coded to assume humans would no longer visit the planetarium, that she was all but forgotten, but in inside that cold hunk of metal lied a beacon of hope, a malfunction according to her notions of robot behavior. No matter how deep in the dire straights of shit she could be, she kept her precious reverie close to her, her wish that one day, ONE day humanity would overcome its adversity and bask in the happiness the species has long forgotten. It's such a fucking potent metaphor, because it's so damn simple. She's so colorful in a world that has become so bleak.

We are taught, especially as we grow old, to keep our ideas grounded in reality. We are told that indulging in dreams and fantasies is juvenile behavior fitting for the most incorrigible of people. If you ask me, it's humble to consider futility, but it's even more valiant to live with the most resplendent aspirations. Sometimes we need to unwind and remind ourselves of the scintillating beauty of the light that has gone without pressing against our skins for however long. Dreams are a virtue (that is of course, when employed in moderation). It emits a raw, radiant, untainted light like no other. Shit gets boring once you accept the current circumstances when you know it isn't your ideal model of life. I'm not saying to delude oneself in dreams, but to never let it go.

A little time gazing at the stars will help.

8/10. As a fan of the VN I would wager that Key has reached their emotional zenith with Planetarian, and this serves as a more than satisfactory adaptation. As others have said, the direction is somewhat stale and colors feel a bit washed out compared to the material from which the story is derived, but that former grievance can also be argued to work in the narrative's favor. Either way, they kept to their guns as far as the story went, and told it to a T with only minor changes at the end. And they decided not to use Perfectly Human, but that's fine.

Kudos to the people at David Production, they sold me with this one. I'm looking forward to the adaptation of the side story (from the Drama CDs, IIRC).
KatoBytesAug 5, 2016 6:43 PM
Why do people have such bad taste? Anime isn't subjective anymore.
Aug 5, 2016 6:54 PM

Sep 2011
I can tell that ending had impact for people who were actually invested in the characters, but I simply wasn't invested. There really wasn't anything about the characters that made me want to care about them.

I am glad to see that people thought it was a mostly faithful adaptation.
Aug 6, 2016 7:13 AM

Aug 2009

that did it for me. Bawled like a baby OTL

"The beautiful twinkling of eternity..."

Aug 6, 2016 10:08 AM

Aug 2015
I think they changed the ending because of the movie that is coming soon.
Liking traps is gay and liking Lolis is Pedophila.
Come at me bruh!
Aug 6, 2016 1:08 PM

Aug 2013
Before the anime start I had high expectations and was eager for the adaptation, and now I can say with certainty that this was one of the best adaptations that I've already watched

The plot is certainly fantastic and I have no animation complaints, the soundtrack was also great, and I was so excited as when I read the VN, or perhaps have read the VN I could feel all the sentimentality of the characters, well, this final in the anime was more exciting than the VN, since the future looks more promising, in my opinion really worth watching this adaptation and I certainly recommend ..
Aug 6, 2016 5:27 PM

Oct 2011
yumemi noooooo
I'm a star teller now
Aug 6, 2016 8:07 PM

Jan 2013
I really hope they will meet again!
9/10
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 7, 2016 1:39 AM

Oct 2015
Watching this OVA, reminds me of the time when I watched Big Hero 6.

9/10
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

rsc-pl - Jul 27, 2016

92 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:58 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

rsc-pl - Jul 20, 2016

100 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:32 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

rsc-pl - Jul 13, 2016

79 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:09 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2016

178 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 7:49 PM

» Anime vs VN

Cleferest - Aug 4, 2016

14 by MikeWazowskiMiky »»
May 26, 2023 11:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.