Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 3, 2016 8:57 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow that looked painful. Hoshino like a fearless robot walks right in front of that killing machine and takes the blunt of the attack.

But even towards the end, I like how Hoshino converses with Junker without much regret. The ending is sad but I think the show was overall well delivered especially for a 5-episode ONA series. Those robot tears ;_;
Aug 3, 2016 9:50 AM

Aug 2013
10/10 and favlist. Perfect adaptation.
And Hoshi Meguri no Uta as ending song. So beautiful.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 3, 2016 12:43 PM

Dec 2013
that ending hits me hard every time, very well done adaption
Aug 3, 2016 2:32 PM

Jul 2011
Knew what was coming since I read the VN but still got hit by the feels train x.x
Aug 3, 2016 4:25 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was really, really sad, man. I couldn't but let tears flow at the end.

''I'm a starteller'' FUCK! ;-;

8/10, really good, little piece of KEY. Brilliant adaptation as far as i can see. David Production should do Rewrite as well, but that's too late now.
Aug 3, 2016 5:00 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Smudy said:
''I'm a starteller'' FUCK! ;-;
Never to late for a career change. Though, it seems he'll have almost as much trouble finding customers as she did.
Aug 3, 2016 5:37 PM

Dec 2009
Well it accomplished in making me cry...because it's a Key story...god damn why couldn't he save her!? ;_; please don't divide heaven.
Aug 3, 2016 5:39 PM

Jan 2014

"No, I'm... a starteller."

I hope he's able to bring her back someday.
Aug 3, 2016 5:58 PM

Apr 2014
Even though this anime was relatively short, it was still quite good

Classic Key adapting sad visual novels. Hopefully, Yumemi made it to heaven and in the future they can make Yumemi MK-II since he has her memory chip

Aug 3, 2016 6:05 PM

Dec 2013
Spoiler Warning

I was hoping they would at least have some rendition of the track "Perfectly Human (Planetarian OST)", which set the tone of the scene perfectly in the VN.

Huge Difference Between Anime and VN

Here's Yumemi's last words (death) in the VN

Full Ending:

This adaptation was decent and many props to David Prod.
Unfortunately though I would never recommend it over the original VN. While they did some justice there was a lot left out and the conclusion wasn't as powerful or meaningful as it was in the VN.

The Most Important Message in Planetarian
"
I thought about these things many times before you came.
When were Mr. Manager and the rest of the staff going to return? When was the next customer going to come?
And every time I came to the same conclusion:
All you humans would never return again.

But...that could not be.
So I hypothesized that I was broken.

But when you came, I was glad. I thought I had been wrong after all. 'The customers had not forgotten me after all.'
However, I was wrong.

The thing that was broken was not me...

...Why did everything break?
"

- Hoshino, Yumemi

TL;DR
Yumemi was not broken.

CakedogAug 3, 2016 8:56 PM
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Aug 3, 2016 6:28 PM
Jul 2018
Wait, the episode came out?

I thought it comes out on Thursdays.
Aug 3, 2016 6:31 PM

Jun 2013
Damn, this ended up being so much better than i expected
At least one Key anime this season has delivered
9/10
Aug 3, 2016 7:05 PM
Jul 2018
Well I finished the episode... and I don't want to start any absurd arguments, but I have felt nothing in the end compared to the Visual Novel's finale. And I think the reason why was because they basically did this:

- Trimmed pretty much a lot of stuff for my perspective on the presentation Yumemi gave, and that actually was one of the few things that made me feel rather connected to her and feel something for her in the end.

- They pretty much re-used a freaking scene that was used at the beginning twice. It actually irritates me a bit.

- Compared to the Visual Novel, and this is my perspective, but I thought Junker of course could have tolerated more compared to the anime, and its saying during the dialogue. Then again it's hard to translate things in terms of Visual Novels when of course you can't clearly know how the first person's perspective actually is. So its an issue from my end.

Of course I will give the show credit, it actually used the visual presentation of the rain as it should be, and it kind of demonstrates the symbolism behind that, and why also Yumemi loves the rain in some perspective. The rain was well done of course in a symbolic meaning and how its done in terms of the art though.

Of course as well with the solid animation for the most part except for the dialogue... which was pretty much still and open mouthing, it felt rather jarring for me until the end.

And of course in the end, rather than spoon feeding people I guess it was better to showing the memories Yumemi had, but I felt more of an impact when I read it because I knew and understood Yumemi's character more and rather being an annoyance when I first started the anime. If I didn't read it I wouldn't give a shit in the end of course.

In the end I'll give it around a 5-6/10 of course. Somewhere around there. It's not a bad adaptation, but it felt underwhelming and shallow for my end at the end of the day and it wasn't really strong for me per say. Despite the fact that I wasn't a big fan of it when I have initially started it as an anime only (and I've read the VN at least a week ago) so there, I guess that's my entire thoughts of course on Planetarian.

I know I will receive some hate but I'm not saying it's bad. It's just not as strong as the Visual Novel and I actually felt just underwhelmed and shallow about it.

P.S: Ono Daisuke's voice here as Junker was amazingly done at least. But that's quite a plus I'll give it.
removed-userAug 3, 2016 7:14 PM
Aug 3, 2016 7:18 PM

Dec 2014
Hoshina was really something...it was quite saddening..I hope she gets a new body and start operating soon
Aug 3, 2016 8:57 PM
Jul 2018
Heretic391 said:
TheLittleRedHero said:
Well I finished the episode... and I don't want to start any absurd arguments, but I have felt nothing in the end compared to the Visual Novel's finale. And I think the reason why was because they basically did this:

- Trimmed pretty much a lot of stuff for my perspective on the presentation Yumemi gave, and that actually was one of the few things that made me feel rather connected to her and feel something for her in the end.

- They pretty much re-used a freaking scene that was used at the beginning twice. It actually irritates me a bit.

- Compared to the Visual Novel, and this is my perspective, but I thought Junker of course could have tolerated more compared to the anime, and its saying during the dialogue. Then again it's hard to translate things in terms of Visual Novels when of course you can't clearly know how the first person's perspective actually is. So its an issue from my end.

Of course I will give the show credit, it actually used the visual presentation of the rain as it should be, and it kind of demonstrates the symbolism behind that, and why also Yumemi loves the rain in some perspective. The rain was well done of course in a symbolic meaning and how its done in terms of the art though.

Of course as well with the solid animation for the most part except for the dialogue... which was pretty much still and open mouthing, it felt rather jarring for me until the end.

And of course in the end, rather than spoon feeding people I guess it was better to showing the memories Yumemi had, but I felt more of an impact when I read it because I knew and understood Yumemi's character more and rather being an annoyance when I first started the anime. If I didn't read it I wouldn't give a shit in the end of course.

In the end I'll give it around a 5-6/10 of course. Somewhere around there. It's not a bad adaptation, but it felt underwhelming and shallow for my end at the end of the day and it wasn't really strong for me per say. Despite the fact that I wasn't a big fan of it when I have initially started it as an anime only (and I've read the VN at least a week ago) so there, I guess that's my entire thoughts of course on Planetarian.

I know I will receive some hate but I'm not saying it's bad. It's just not as strong as the Visual Novel and I actually felt just underwhelmed and shallow about it.

P.S: Ono Daisuke's voice here as Junker was amazingly done at least. But that's quite a plus I'll give it.

Great review! I agree with the points you've made.

xD It's not a review but I would want to write things down of course.
Aug 3, 2016 9:39 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
The Feels Train slammed into the station hard on this run. The computer monitor misted up on me. A very gentle anime with a hard ending. Nicely done! This anime makes me really dislike the standard series that seem to be everywhere and say nothing after 12/24 episodes. This one nailed it in 5. I go 9/10 on this one.
Aug 3, 2016 9:46 PM
Mar 2011
Now that is how you do a death in an anime or even live action. Slow and hart filled and a strong feeling of happiness of the one dying.
Aug 3, 2016 9:58 PM

Nov 2015
My tears again T.T . I read the VN and I think it's very well adapted. This anime definitely deserves more than rating 7.39.
Aug 3, 2016 10:10 PM

Oct 2014
Great little series. Great ending!

Aug 3, 2016 10:52 PM

Jan 2016
Guys, just prepare for the "Hoshi No Hito" planetarian movie coming out in September. It adapts one of the Drama CDs of planetarian, taking place many years after the original. Here's a link to the trailer for that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2u_ZOS00uI

The Drama CD actually broke me harder than the VN, if that's any indication.

In any case, this adaptation was damn near perfect. It lacked some things, but given that there's not much else they could've done with what they had, it was great.

My only significant gripe is the lack of "Perfect Human" playing.

For anyone interested, the original VN is on Steam for about $10, and is usually $5 when on sale. I seriously reccomend reading it, as it's also pretty short, but the descriptive wording and uses that only a VN format can do make the original work so amazingly well.
VN adaptations trigger me
Aug 3, 2016 10:58 PM
Jul 2018
I was left with a teary eye and a pain in my chest. Ughhhh.... ๐·°(৹˃̵﹏˂̵৹)°·๐
Aug 3, 2016 11:50 PM

Apr 2013
Damn it...........

Aug 3, 2016 11:54 PM

Sep 2014
It was a faithful, but still quite a weak adaptation imo. The visuals are just serviceable and the direction is flat. I also think it would have just worked much better as a movie, the pacing felt wierd as the climactic scenes had very weak buildup to them. Overall, I definitely recommend reading the VN because the anime didn't do the story justice imo.
Aug 4, 2016 12:21 AM

Oct 2015
Really is this the end. It's so sad, yet hopeful. I really enjoyed every episode. For I could relate so much to characters feelings. I loved astronomy since childhood, but some people told me that this science is useless. And I believed it. Now I think I should change my opinion. After all I loved stars since the day I was born.
I'm a starteller...
Omnia munda mundis
Aug 4, 2016 12:44 AM

May 2010
That was beautifully tragic, yet ended on a slightly hopeful tone. 7.5/10 for this, esp. liked
Cakedog said:

The Most Important Message in Planetarian
"
I thought about these things many times before you came.
When were Mr. Manager and the rest of the staff going to return? When was the next customer going to come?
And every time I came to the same conclusion:
All you humans would never return again.

But...that could not be.
So I hypothesized that I was broken.

But when you came, I was glad. I thought I had been wrong after all. 'The customers had not forgotten me after all.'
However, I was wrong.

The thing that was broken was not me...

...Why did everything break?
"

- Hoshino, Yumemi

This was my fav part
Aug 4, 2016 12:47 AM

Aug 2012
I freaking teared up.
Aug 4, 2016 1:36 AM
Jul 2018
That was a nice ending to a short and simple series, a cynical person who has lost all hope in the world encounters a robot full of optimism, and it changes the way he viewed his life. Ending was well executed too, although I felt it could have done better. Overall 7.5/10 , considering how VN adaptations tend to be garbage most of the times.
Aug 4, 2016 2:32 AM
Feb 2015
Feels train hitting me harder than I anticipated. Time to cry myself to sleep.
Aug 4, 2016 4:11 AM

Oct 2014

Because, Yumemi, humans are idiots who can be blinded by hate and will kill each other over every small thing.

That was a beautiful series, showing how humans could end, and what a 'perfect being' who is made to serve humans acts like in that situation, and shows her 'point of view'. But it also shows, no matter how bleak that there is hope. From Humanity's Triumph until it's fall.

If there is one thing i can criticize about the series, it's the fact that the MC kinda 'changed' a little to fast for my tastes. Also, the scene where Yumemi was 'killed' from the other robot felt kinda rushed imo.

hmmm
8/10

Now to wait for the Movie :D
ShrimperorAug 4, 2016 4:19 AM
Aug 4, 2016 4:31 AM

Jul 2014
Damn, Key have done it again with this one. Only 5 episodes, but the pain was still real even with that.

8/10

Only question now is when the movie takes place in relation to the events of these 5 episodes.
Aug 4, 2016 5:28 AM
May 2016
A quite good little series, feels hit me well. Hoping Yumemi will have a new body, cause Junker has her memory chip. Well there's an upcoming movie, looking forward to it.
Aug 4, 2016 5:49 AM

Oct 2012
;_; ;_; Yumemi ;_; ;_;

No matter how many times I see this scene, whether it's from the VN or here in the anime, it's always so sad. Even though I know it's coming, Yumemi's innocence coupled with the reality of the situation and the awesome music, it never fails to get a tear out of me. It could've been done better I guess, the action scene happened all too quickly along with the way Yumemi was hit by the machine gun lessened the impact quite a bit and they didn't play that great ambient track that made everything feel hopeless. Instead the tracks felt much more hopeful which was weird considering what was happening, but they did add some neat things in too like the voice filtering and the rain tears.

Overall, as an adaptation it wasn't amazing or anything. The directing was stiff, the animation and visuals were serviceable at best, the pacing was often either too fast or too slow for me and without the Junkers monologue's I felt his character didn't come across as well as it could have. Still though, the anime pulled through where it counted and provided some truly memorable scenes in the projection episode and here. Plus just seeing Planetarian animated after all these years is such a treat and I'll be eagerly awaiting the movie now.
KoybzAug 4, 2016 6:04 AM
Aug 4, 2016 6:00 AM

May 2013
My Anime of The Year so far
Aug 4, 2016 6:47 AM

Mar 2012
Better than Clannad, Angel Beats and every single Key anime combined.

Overall one of the the best anime adaptation made by Key.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Aug 4, 2016 6:55 AM
Jul 2016
danieltortoisee said:
Only question now is when the movie takes place in relation to the events of these 5 episodes.

Not really a big spoiler but whatever.
Aug 4, 2016 7:11 AM
Apr 2015
Short ONA but awesome.
Those words about the world of Yumemi are smt I wont forget. Isla, Mira and Yumemi, damn robot girls always are the best.
Aug 4, 2016 7:26 AM

Jan 2014
I never played the game, but this could have easily been made into 12 full episodes (sacrificing the accuracy of the adaptation of course).

They could have expanded the world, shown us a village or 2 with more characters in the mix, as well as having the MC go back and forth from his village to get supplies to repair the star projector (maybe have his village get attacked in the process). They really could have done a lot with the small amount of content they had.

Regardless though, this was very well done.
SabraelAug 4, 2016 7:30 AM
Aug 4, 2016 7:29 AM
Nov 2010
Yeah, I think the end of this anime lacks any real impact for me to feel emotional. It's a decent and safe adaptation, but probably too safe.
Aug 4, 2016 7:46 AM

Sep 2013
Knew this was coming as soon as I saw this was going to be an anime. Seeing this scene animated and her facial expressions changing instead of stills got me pretty hard. Really glad to see Junker's expression animated too cause you didn't get to see his reaction when she was slowly shutting down.

I thought this was a great adaptation from a classic VN. Thought they did everything really well despite cutting a few minor scenes out. My main gripe with the finale is that the dialogue compared to the video game was a little different from what I remembered and that their final conversation wasn't as long or heavy hitting as the original. I think their final moments together wasn't as good simply because we don't get to hear a lot of Junker's inner thoughts about it as she spoke.

Anyways, thought this series was great, can't wait to see the movie. I never played the extra stuff so the movie will be fresh and new to me. Hope you guys enjoyed this series!

Aug 4, 2016 9:18 AM

Jun 2013
That was not cool man, i was expecting to hear "Perfectly Human"...

Not even close to the emotional power that the VN has on the finale, but a faithful adaption nonetheless.

Also not sure what happened to Keiko Suzuki, but she was almost crying in the VN when she talked about how she would cry if she had the function installed. That hit me so hard when i first read that i was overflowing with tears..

Here in the anime, i didn't feel nothing at all.

Well, its better than nothing. I can't believe that im going to give a 7/10 to one of my favorite stories.. but life is unfair i guess.

Atleast Rewrite is being more faithful on that part. Music is one of the strongest aspects of Key visual novels and should not be ignored like this.

Just imagine how Yumemi's death scene would drastically change if it had this playing in the backgroud:

I really recommend checking the VN out. Such a shame..

Edit: Okay, maybe im being too harsh, so I'll raise up to 8/10 (not that i care about scores or anything..) but this had potential to be A LOT more powerful.
Murasa22Aug 4, 2016 9:44 AM
Aug 4, 2016 9:20 AM

Dec 2009
This story had a lot of room to do things, but i guess the original intention was a snapshot, much like the movie Children of Men (Planetarian's visual novel actually came first).

There was definitely an interesting journey of thought within in Yumemi. She wasn't oblivious to things unrelated to the planetarium as first thought, she was observing, and trying to process what happened the entire time. After everything, she was unable to comprehend why everything would break, because from her perspective everyone was happy and harmonious, humans were a joyous presence. (She'd obviously been programmed not to ask questions that might bother people, such as observed details, and to think about it quietly instead. And also to be overly sentimental.)

The convolution, obstinance, and confusion that leads people to confront eachother was completely outside of her experience. She was very fortunate to be able to live that way in blissful ignorance. "Why did everything break?" Came the final realization that something was wrong and she couldn't comprehend it. She learned and grew, put things into perspective, and so sad that everything had to come to an end.

Geez, when you think about it, all the people, even the children, in her memories, all had no futures, they left with a smile only to die in war. Pretty hardcore stuff.

Very good work, the open ending both wraps up the frame as an excellent world snapshot and bothers me because of how it doesn't elaborate. Open endings bug me, i prefer stories that continue with quality writing until all of the opened plot lines are closed in a satisfying way. Not the best story i've been witness to, but definitely has it's place in the hall of fame.

A subnote, if the sciences take the coming necessary change to more accurate understanding of electrical field physics, then things like battery levels will be irrelevant by the time we develop sufficient AI. High-resistance chemical capacitors are not needed when there is astronomical amounts of active power in the environment around us that we don't usually even notice. While, depletion factored in to fuel the death scene, realistically she could have a power source that never depletes as it charges by ambient energy in the environment - she would have gone on as a broken, short-circuiting, robot trying to figure out why the world broke.
GenesisAriaAug 4, 2016 9:27 AM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Aug 4, 2016 9:29 AM
Jul 2018
Poor Yumemi! I felt bad for her.

Good ending!
Aug 4, 2016 9:36 AM

Jan 2009
Depressing ending, but it's key, so...
We're the same. Nuisances with nowhere to go.
Aug 4, 2016 9:36 AM

Jun 2015
i knew it....this is predictable...BUT OH GAWD, it was sad, and a lot more emotional than i expected

quite short and simple, but i like it from the art to music. 8/10 i enjoyed this a lot
Aug 4, 2016 9:40 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
This is one of the best VN adaptations I've ever seen. Hats off to David Production for making a loyal adaptation of a short, but sweet VN. Even though I knew it was coming, I still cried :/

5/5
Aug 4, 2016 10:06 AM
Jun 2014
Sabrael said:
I never played the game, but this could have easily been made into 12 full episodes (sacrificing the accuracy of the adaptation of course).

They could have expanded the world, shown us a village or 2 with more characters in the mix, as well as having the MC go back and forth from his village to get supplies to repair the star projector (maybe have his village get attacked in the process). They really could have done a lot with the small amount of content they had.

It absolutely couldn't, all those things you want don't exist in the VN in any shape or form. What you're actually asking for is the source material to be butchered and rewritten beyond all recognition. The upcoming movie Hoshi no Hito (an epilogue set decades in the future, originally a drama CD) will cover more about the state of the world and how humans are living if that's what you want.

Anyway, onto the episode itself. Compared to the others this isn't as well adapted (CakeDog summarised the changes quite well), in particular they cut a fair amount from the combat sequence as the Junker is far more badly wounded. I understand why they made those changes though, for starters the blood probably would have bumped the age rating up, secondly they obviously chose to dedicate as much time to Yumemi's dialogue as possible, and finally they went with a long credits roll to keep Song of Starflight intact (which I'm very glad they chose to do). I absolutely will NOT forgive leaving the song Perfectly Human out though, that seriously contributed to the atmosphere of Yumemi's death.

Overall it's a solid 9/10 for me, probably the best VN adaptation I've watched. Yeah, they've obviously cut content and changed a few bits around, but on all occasions I understand why it was done - something that you can rarely say about VN anime adaptations.

Next up is Hoshi no Hito in about a month I guess. To be honest I'm actually hoping they take more liberties with that one and possibly rewrite the ending, it was fairly underwhelming throughout and ended with a whimper.
AzureSymphonyAug 4, 2016 10:09 AM
Aug 4, 2016 10:46 AM
Oct 2014
Only needed five episodes to become my favorite Key anime adaption (aside from Clannad AS). At the risk of sounding like a prick, maybe it's because they left out the bland harem in exchange for substance this time.
"The only thing I still write is a list of people I'll never forgive" - Hikigaya 8man
Aug 4, 2016 10:53 AM
Jan 2009
They cut out my favourite moment in the VN: when the Junker realizes that the warmech is just like Yumemi; trying to fool itself that the city is still inhabitated and trying to protect the long dead inhabitants. Kind of a bummer.
Dark_KainAug 4, 2016 11:10 AM
Aug 4, 2016 10:57 AM
Jul 2018
Dark_Kain said:
They cut out mi favourite moment in the VN: when the Junker realize that the warmech is just like Yumemi; trying to fool itself that the city is still inhabitated and trying to protect the long dead inhabitants. Kind of a bummer.

Thats another issue I had as well. It was rather much of a buildup towards the actual reality Yumemi is actually facing imo... it felt rather flat.
Aug 4, 2016 11:07 AM

Dec 2013
I think for VN readers there's a general consensus that leaving out "Perfectly Human" was a mistake. It's not really isn't an exaggeration either; the piece really did have a huge impact on the scene.

For anime-only watchers curious about what we're referring to, I posted it earlier but here it is again:
https://youtu.be/aEDk-AAXmhw?t=1086

The track playing in the background is the aforementioned "Perfectly Human".
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

rsc-pl - Jul 27, 2016

92 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:58 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

rsc-pl - Jul 20, 2016

100 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:32 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

rsc-pl - Jul 13, 2016

79 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:09 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2016

178 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 7:49 PM

» Anime vs VN

Cleferest - Aug 4, 2016

14 by MikeWazowskiMiky »»
May 26, 2023 11:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.