Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Feb 22, 2017 12:42 AM

Mar 2015
No need for a 12/24 episode feels series when you can 5 episodes that can do just as much. Excellently done! Yumeme NOT LIKE DIS. (Despite her talking for probably longer than her battery had left, it didn't matter) Reminds me remarkably of Plastic Memories... Yumeme's dialogue was so good and tear jerking.

Anyone notice that the main theme of the show is actually a Christian song called "Jesus Is The Friend Who‘s Always There"? Quite suiting for with idea recurring idea of robot heaven and God.

9/10 Show.
GaryMuffuginOakFeb 23, 2017 5:36 AM
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Mar 5, 2017 10:13 PM

Aug 2015
I haven't read the VN, but as a standalone title I think it was a very good story about finding hope in a hopeless world, along with some musings about humanity's relationship with technology.
Apr 28, 2017 12:09 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
Smashed in the chest with the feelz train. T_T
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

May 26, 2017 11:14 PM

Dec 2012
NO!!!!!!!
Yumemi what are you doing?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Those girls with the lovely oppai in that projection.

During Yumemi's last 600 and 150 seconds:

One tear falls down my left side. Another tear falls down my left side. A third tear falls down my left side.
One tear falls down my right side. Another tear falls down my left side.
Tears fall down both sides of my face repeatedly. Snot comes out of my nose. The tears and snot cover my mouth so I could not open it, but it didn't matter because my throat is fucked up. The tears continue to fall as I see Yumemi and Kuzuya's tears. And then she's gone. Kuzuya's gone.

I'm gone.

RIP Yumemi. You deserved so much more.
RobMay 26, 2017 11:30 PM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Aug 21, 2017 4:02 PM

Oct 2014
Rei366 said:
no idea why but I am under the impression I already watched the same story in some US series or movie.

The KN was released at 2004 (in Japanese, ofc. The fansub... I forgot, maybe 3 years after that? But the official English ver. is rather new.)
Always went underground as one of the lesser known KEY works, before this adaptation happened.
Well... but professional writers all over the world... you would expect them to not be that much of a picky reader and would have read all KEY's VNs and KNs, don't you think?
Aug 25, 2017 9:30 PM
Nov 2015
Revvie-chan said:
Rei366 said:
no idea why but I am under the impression I already watched the same story in some US series or movie.

The KN was released at 2004 (in Japanese, ofc. The fansub... I forgot, maybe 3 years after that? But the official English ver. is rather new.)
Always went underground as one of the lesser known KEY works, before this adaptation happened.
Well... but professional writers all over the world... you would expect them to not be that much of a picky reader and would have read all KEY's VNs and KNs, don't you think?

He mentions the same story, but those stories are actually long enough and has more plot. However, the longer the plot and story is, the more audience expect. So, although the story is the same, I will still evaluate the shorter one higher because I expect more knowledge, more development, more depth, and more impression from longer story.
That's the advantage and excellence of planetarian, although, despite being short and simple, the story itself actually possesses a very powerful and impressive theme: what makes human unique in the world and whether human shall maintain this uniqueness. Another thing is that casual readers only care about what the story is, but experienced readers will think about why writers write like this. Knowing "why" and "what" really leads(courts-a gre vocab) to different interpretations.
sat2400Aug 25, 2017 9:50 PM
Aug 25, 2017 9:39 PM
Nov 2015
Revvie-chan said:
Rei366 said:

reading all the VN and KN from key? I m sry I don't have time to do that! Plus, Mr Maeda is not my favorite writer, but I still appreciate his contribution to "key" VN studio
Aug 27, 2017 5:16 PM

Oct 2014
sat2400 said:
Revvie-chan said:

reading all the VN and KN from key? I m sry I don't have time to do that! Plus, Mr Maeda is not my favorite writer, but I still appreciate his contribution to "key" VN studio

wow an actual pro writer here? 0 0
gomen, then. my bad. I shouldn't have generalized.
Aug 28, 2017 12:58 PM
Nov 2015
Revvie-chan said:
sat2400 said:

It makes me feel chill, I m not a pro writer, seriously, I mean, If I have time, why should I spend time on reading all the key vn? I can read some literature and novels, which seems to be more helpful.
Aug 28, 2017 1:01 PM
Nov 2015
sat2400 said:
Revvie-chan said:

It makes me feel chill, I m not a pro writer, seriously, I mean, If I have time, why should I spend time on reading all the key vn? I can read some literature and novels, which seems to be more helpful.
Revvie-chan said:
sat2400 said:

sorry for the mis-clarification
Aug 29, 2017 9:07 PM

Oct 2014
sat2400 said:
Revvie-chan said:

He mentions the same story, but those stories are actually long enough and has more plot. However, the longer the plot and story is, the more audience expect. So, although the story is the same, I will still evaluate the shorter one higher because I expect more knowledge, more development, more depth, and more impression from longer story.
That's the advantage and excellence of planetarian, although, despite being short and simple, the story itself actually possesses a very powerful and impressive theme: what makes human unique in the world and whether human shall maintain this uniqueness. Another thing is that casual readers only care about what the story is, but experienced readers will think about why writers write like this. Knowing "why" and "what" really leads(courts-a gre vocab) to different interpretations.

lol sorry I missed this part.

yup. Planetarian is good bcs of how it keeps things tidy, simple, yet powerful. The mainstream "literature crititcs" believe that a story should be longer to give as thorough development & background as possible, but I guess we, here, disagree with that.

sorry for the sarcastic comment, btw. I was just joking around.
Aug 30, 2017 6:43 AM
Nov 2015
Revvie-chan said:
sat2400 said:

yup. Planetarian is good bcs of how it keeps things tidy, simple, yet powerful. The mainstream "literature crititcs" believe that a story should be longer to give as thorough development & background as possible, but I guess we, here, disagree with that.

Saddly, For some reason, the author resign from key, otherwise the story will continue and become a exclusive novel developed by key.
Key studio is not somewhere which people wants to stay eternally, or at least for five years or even longer. For Mr Maeda, Without those praise and zeal from his fans, he may have already resigned.
btw, planetarian is still rank pretty high on vndb, the only short vn exceed is saya no uta, but after I finished it, I found some issues regarding to the story, which courts(leads) me to rate it below 8
Aug 31, 2017 12:10 PM

Oct 2014
sat2400 said:
Revvie-chan said:

Saddly, For some reason, the author resign from key, otherwise the story will continue and become a exclusive novel developed by key.
Key studio is not somewhere which people wants to stay eternally, or at least for five years or even longer. For Mr Maeda, Without those praise and zeal from his fans, he may have already resigned.
btw, planetarian is still rank pretty high on vndb, the only short vn exceed is saya no uta, but after I finished it, I found some issues regarding to the story, which courts(leads) me to rate it below 8

nah it won't develop further than what it already is. (KN + 4 short stories (+ 1 movie) + epilogue)
and there's no need to. It's perfect as it is.

Well... all writers need that, zeal of fans. But you know: in Maeda's case, I think he deserved it. (You should try reading Air & Kanon. There are things anime's short time span cannot capture.)

lol Saya no Uta. Urobutcher.
Aug 31, 2017 1:48 PM
Nov 2015
Revvie-chan said:
sat2400 said:

nah it won't develop further than what it already is. (KN + 4 short stories (+ 1 movie) + epilogue)
and there's no need to. It's perfect as it is.

Well... all writers need that, zeal of fans. But you know: in Maeda's case, I think he deserved it. (You should try reading Air & Kanon. There are things anime's short time span cannot capture.)

lol Saya no Uta. Urobutcher.
lol, Ubrobutcher, the read name?
Sep 1, 2017 7:53 AM

Nov 2016
This was an entertaining watch. I didn't get that emotional in the final episode as the MC got the robots memory card so he can just build a new one and she would be effectively back. 6/10
Oct 11, 2017 5:08 PM

Nov 2016
Hmm,while I thought it was a good story overall, I hardly felt anything at the end. Maybe it was just too short for me to build a connection to the characters.

Still, it was a decent watch, especially considering it was just a 5 episodes ONA.

5/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 21, 2017 7:41 AM

Oct 2015
I loved Yumemi I sure loved the friendship she were about to build with that guy. I don't usually love robots but Hoshino was an exception with her devotion to her duties and love of humans made me adore her. Although this ONA never gave us the background about how things went haywire with the city and how he ended up being a junker. But I loved this one and hope to see the movie.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 2, 2017 2:34 AM

Apr 2009
You're not "a little broken", it's the world...in fact it's FUBAR! *sigh*

Hmmm that was it? I expected to cry my eyes out but I just got saddened a little bit, maybe I'm really getting old and shit. XD

Short and sweet in a saddening way. 7/10

You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Nov 24, 2017 7:52 AM

May 2016
One of the most beautiful ONA that I have ever watched damn I cried so bad man it was like I was hit by the train of emotions I will give it a 8/10 after I heard when that he was a Starteller man that was a ;-;
Apr 6, 2018 7:59 AM

Oct 2007
One of the best anime I've seen. Would have been better if Yumemi survived and they traveled the world together. Yeah, it would probably be expensive to build a portable charger for her... but I'm sure the Junker guy would find a way to get the charger, because he cares for the robot girl.

Anime also shows that war is a very sad thing. a world with eternal rain where the sun does not shine anymore. :(
Feb 15, 2019 5:22 PM
Feb 2019
What my favorite part about this anime/VN is by far(in addition to the VN version of 'Gentle Jena' which is just about the best VN/anime music track ever) is how at the end Yumemi reveals that she actually isn't broken at all, she just couldn't comprehend how all her calculations and estimations ended up with no one coming back to her so she figured that she must have been broken.

This is such a short anime/VN but one of the most meaningful stories I've seen in one, with tons of things perfectly relatable to humanity in general and the powerful contrast between the optimism of the past and the harsh reality of the present, causing every little seemingly meaningless thing to sting. Some works such as Fata Morgana no Yakata have made me feel more but nothing anywhere near this short has come even close.

Indeed, it's not the perfect adaptation but still a respectable one when we consider the general level of VN adaptations. As usual, the best experience is achieved by reading the VN and then checking the anime out to see the scenes animated.
Shayuki013Feb 15, 2019 5:25 PM
Mar 25, 2019 12:22 AM

Nov 2013
The junker's fight with the mech was good. Wasn't expecting this anime to have action, but I'm not complaining.

Yumemi getting mortally wounded was...anticlimactic to say the least. I honestly thought it was just a vision at first which really hampered its impact.

Yumemi's death scene went on for a bit too long, but the moment she finally went out made my heart sink.

Junker wanting to be a starteller was a great way to end it. It really showed how much being with Yumemi had an effect on him.

Pretty good albeit somber ending.

7.5/10
FunnyRatmanMar 25, 2019 12:27 AM

Jun 3, 2019 3:03 PM

Feb 2018
Good bye Yumemi. Sad Ending.
Jun 7, 2020 10:04 AM

May 2015
Welp at least memory card is safe
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jun 27, 2020 12:16 AM

Oct 2017
Damn you, Key (and David prod.), you got me again. Even though i've read the VM and watched the other media already...
What's with this rain in my room?!

Note to self - avoid watching anime about cute, doomed robot girls!
RainyShadowJun 27, 2020 12:41 AM
May 14, 2021 10:19 AM
Apr 2020
Since no one really talked about ending theme then I'll:
Damn that ending song was amazing its name is "Hoshi meguri no uta"
Aug 11, 2021 6:00 AM

May 2020
AX2015 said:
why does Yumemi say she is the bargain model android that cant produce tears, when she is clearly crying in the end?

Nope she is not crying there. What you see there is rain drops not tears. She moves her head before that scene.
Sep 2, 2021 9:43 AM

Feb 2020
That was so heartbreaking ending. :´( Poor Yumemi...

Overall, it was a very beautiful and emotional anime.

9/10

Oct 19, 2023 9:28 PM

Dec 2022
I knew it was coming and yet it still hit all the right sentimental notes. Yumemi's programming was never going to prioritise self-preservation in an unfamiliar world like this, and its mercilessness was displayed in full force here.

Really short anime, but it makes the most of every second, no doubt about it.

Shaded Horizon

Apr 13, 4:26 PM
Jun 2020
not as good as the VN but still pretty good
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

rsc-pl - Jul 27, 2016

92 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:58 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

rsc-pl - Jul 20, 2016

100 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:32 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

rsc-pl - Jul 13, 2016

79 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:09 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2016

178 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 7:49 PM

» Anime vs VN

Cleferest - Aug 4, 2016

14 by MikeWazowskiMiky »»
May 26, 2023 11:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.