Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 29, 2010 3:15 PM

Jan 2009
Chucky said:
So they just left Nanami (who is sick even!) alone on the island in a broken house? Sorry but that's the only part of the episode that didn't make sense to me at all. The rest was pretty awesome but I hope the next ep will have less talking and more action.
'Course they did, what else should they've done with her? Being as she is, I doubt they'd been able to take her with them.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jan 29, 2010 3:24 PM

Nov 2008
Oosran said:
'Course they did, what else should they've done with her? Being as she is, I doubt they'd been able to take her with them.

Shichika could've at least fixed the house a little and prepared some food for her, seeing how he looked so caring in the beginning. Or maybe that happened off camera. I guess we'll find out what happens to Nanami in the later eps.

Also I just noticed Nanami has Rena's VA, Togame has Rika's VA, and the island kinda looked like Rokkenjima. xD
Jan 29, 2010 3:30 PM

Feb 2008
That was pretty nice. But translating must be a pain. Good work, gg! heh
Jan 29, 2010 3:31 PM

Jan 2009
Chucky said:
Oosran said:

Shichika could've at least fixed the house a little and prepared some food for her, seeing how he looked so caring in the beginning. Or maybe that happened off camera. I guess we'll find out what happens to Nanami in the later eps.
Or Shichika is stupid after all, and thus.. He forgot ^^
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jan 29, 2010 3:53 PM

Nov 2008
Oosran said:
Or Shichika is stupid after all, and thus.. He forgot ^^

That seems to be the reasonable thing to do... in anime. |D
Jan 29, 2010 5:20 PM

Aug 2009
the unique art intrigues me. not bad.
Jan 29, 2010 5:24 PM

May 2009
Very entertaining! Characters are cool. Music was great and the art is different and interesting. Lots of dialog, but it didn't bother me since it was easy to follow and understand. Two thumbs up!
Jan 29, 2010 5:46 PM
Mar 2008
The eyes are funny xD
I liked it :O
Seems like it'll be one of the good ones this season

On another did, did he just leave his sick sister on a deserted island...?
Jan 29, 2010 6:31 PM

Jun 2008
SoFarGone said:
the unique art intrigues me. not bad.
But if you notice, it still had a lot of style that is anime.

Anyways, I was a bit intrigued and bored by it. Yes there was a lot of dialog which usually makes for uninteresting animes. I also had to know how long this was because I didn't know it was 49 minutes. I checked my player clock and it was 35 minutes before I knew it, so the dialogue was enough to keep me interesting in watching it.

Maybe the next episodes will be just as good. Mazui have stated in thier website if there is this much dialogue they are liable to drop it. I hope not.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jan 29, 2010 8:34 PM

Jun 2009
Well that was boring dross. But I guess I'll watch this till the bitter end and file it away as a "what not to do in anime" lesson.
Jan 30, 2010 12:46 AM

Aug 2009
SO MUCH TEEEEXT! What the hell is wrong with them. I had to tap double speed twice in VLC to survive trough this BS. I still have hopes for the next episode tough. The humor was kinda funny.
Jan 30, 2010 4:51 AM

Sep 2009
I liked it a lot actually. The art was a refreshment from all new anime styles which I personally hate. It was not only something unique, but it was also done splendidly. Character movements were natural, background is very detailed, and so on.
The story seems pretty simple. Go around the world collecting 12 swords. But it seems that it will be quite interesting. I am expecting a lot of side stories during the whole anime.
No sig :(
Jan 30, 2010 7:42 AM

Nov 2009
I liked it though the art style put me off on the characters, the eyes are quite creepy.

Thankfully by the end of the ep, I didnt notice quite so much. I quite like Togame's character so it will be nice to see how she develops in upcoming episodes.
Jan 30, 2010 11:39 AM

Aug 2008
*sigh* I had some hopes for this anime, & they're not dashed as of yet, but I was unimpressed and somewhat irritated by the first episode. I would've preferred a narrator as opposed to the flat dialogue. I'll keep going with this for now. We'll see how much this show really relies on dialogue. Beacuse I wasn't impressed with that or the characters.

Jan 30, 2010 12:04 PM

Aug 2009
btw for the people who don't know, this anime is aired once a month which is lame but I guess thats why its 50 minutes an episode.
Jan 30, 2010 2:45 PM

Feb 2009
Well I guess that's what you call an introductory episode. 50 minutes long.

I really liked the art style in this, it's really refreshing and the character design is between anime style and cartoons for kids that you see in the west, which is actually a quite good combination imo.

The character relations are interesting so far, I like this naive boy and ambitious girl kind of affective friendship.

As for the story, I really tried to get into it but I just couldn't, especially since I'm not all that into samurai stuff.

I hope the pace will pick up a bit next episode. I don't mind lots of dialogs in a show but the ones in this were just not as interesting as something like Bakemonogatari.
Jan 30, 2010 3:53 PM

Feb 2009
She is so full of herself that lady, I guess there were no crows in that island to fly buy crowing, aho, aho "idiot, idiot".Not very bright that super strategist. The hero reminds me of Goku from DBZ, and that bad guy talks way to much. The art of that anime seems a little weird for action, way too cute, but interesting will follow after it is only 12 episodes.
Jan 30, 2010 4:47 PM

Dec 2008
1 episode for month or it´s weekly?
Jan 30, 2010 9:56 PM

Aug 2009
wabowser said:

its one per month.
Jan 30, 2010 9:59 PM

Dec 2008
SoFarGone said:
wabowser said:

its one per month.

Ok thanks :D
Jan 31, 2010 7:00 AM
Jun 2009
The ninja's laugh annoys me. I just wish he'd stop talking about the sword and use it instead.
Jan 31, 2010 8:57 AM

Feb 2009
SoFarGone said:
wabowser said:

its one per month.

One episode a month! I should see that coming because of the length of an episode but it better be damn good to make us wait a month for an episode!
Jan 31, 2010 9:00 AM

Dec 2008
Biggest issue I have with this series is the art stil of the characters. It rather looks like an cartoon not an anime and especially the eyes really do need some more detail.
The conversations in this first episode were almost too draggy to be interesting in any way and there were too many informations in one hit.

However that doesn't mean it was bad. I like both main character so I'll keep track on this series.
Jan 31, 2010 2:09 PM

Dec 2009
This episode was such a dragg but since i like the plot and swordplay ill keep watching

Three Stars
Jan 31, 2010 2:47 PM

Dec 2009
The art style made me feel like i was watching a disney adaptation or something... was half expecting them to start singing "I'll make a man out of you" soon hehe. Either way, I'll stick with it and see where it goes.

The one-a-month thing is going to put some off I'm sure. If naruto's 5-10 minute recaps at the start of each week is anything to go by, you'd guess that the average anime fan has the memory of a goldfish.
Jan 31, 2010 9:02 PM

Apr 2009
Shit was awesome, don't know what people are bitching about.
And I find the art to be gorgeous. The characters are drawn in a rather simplistic style, but it does have it's charm. And the background are just stunning.

Waiting a month is gonna be a bitch, though.

Kyoujin79 said:
The one-a-month thing is going to put some off I'm sure. If naruto's 5-10 minute recaps at the start of each week is anything to go by, you'd guess that the average anime fan has the memory of a goldfish.

Nah, Naruto just does that so they have less time to fill in the new episode. ;)
Jan 31, 2010 10:13 PM

Sep 2008
The art didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. What bothered me more was the lack of good action. I would have expected a show this dialogue heavy to have quick yet intense fight scenes....but the fight was pretty generic. The voice acting of the bad guy and they way Shichika had to announce his stance and attack name made me feel like I was watching Saturday morning cartoons from the 80's and 90's. I'll at least give this a good chance to show me what it can do....but it doesn't look good.
Feb 1, 2010 7:40 AM

Nov 2009
Dialogue heavy just like bakemonogatari but it maintains my interest all the same, its original and different in many ways ^^ enjoyed this and im looking forward to more XD
Feb 1, 2010 7:56 AM

Jan 2009
Anyway, I don't seem to get why this is being compared to Bakemonogatari all the time o.O
Anyone care to explain?
Feb 1, 2010 8:25 AM

May 2009
^ Both have a lot of dialogue.
Feb 1, 2010 8:27 AM

Jan 2009
Well apart from that, there ain't anything, so I still don't see why the comparison is made.
Besides, Bakemonogatari is epic, this is not : >
Edit: Or actually, Bakemonogatari has Senjougahara, this has not : D
Feb 1, 2010 8:51 AM

Aug 2008
It's dialogue that aims to be quirky and funny while moving the plot along. One succeeds while not seeming expository, and the other fails. That's why the comparison is drawn.
Feb 1, 2010 9:39 AM

Aug 2007
I like the way it's going. It's hilarious enough for me to follow and as I am a fan of dialogue, I even appreciate it. Even if not all the puns are really funny. Shichika is pretty funny, even if he says that he isn't that smart. The art style is not something that you see every day and that works for me as well: I mainly started to watch this BECAUSE of it. I like it so far.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Feb 1, 2010 10:27 AM

Sep 2007
Hum ...
Art is so different from what i know ...
But anyways, liked this episode !
Feb 1, 2010 1:42 PM

Nov 2008
Not very impressive, but at the very least it's different. The show still has potential, even if the setup was awkward.
Feb 1, 2010 4:28 PM

Jun 2009
Wasn't very impressed, but it wasn't bad either. I'll keep watching, maybe it'll get better...
Feb 2, 2010 1:48 AM

Dec 2007
BitchMaster said:
Sux....Is this a joke? Before watching it, I told myself that I shouldn't judge an anime by how it looks since there're a buncha masterpieces who are ugly as f**k based on my standard(s) so I hoped this one will be one of those masterpieces and boy, I was totally wrong....

Another shitty anime with calling-name(s)-of-attack-moves-considered-as-AKSHUN, just like that shitty Basara animated or FAIL-y Tail or Needless.... Guess it's gonna be a while before I can see some real action shows like Kurozuka or Ga-Rei Zero again.... And 30 min(s) of talking, very nice~.... Guess the only thing I was right about is the brotagonist who is not like a useless blob in the background like most anime MC(s) nowadays and some nice music but FUUUUUUU-, if I want music, I can waste my time on japanese MTV instead of watching this crap!!!

Stop Bitchin' BitchMaster
Feb 2, 2010 4:46 AM

Jun 2007
Wow, I really like this.

I took one look at the animation and thought it wouldn't be worth my time, but watched it anyways since I downloaded it, and god I'm glad I did. This looks to be a really cool series, pretty funny too.

"if the show is good i couldn't care less if hitler directed it and the production values was a banana." - Salsk
Feb 2, 2010 6:56 AM

Aug 2007
Oosran said:
Well apart from that, there ain't anything, so I still don't see why the comparison is made.
Besides, Bakemonogatari is epic, this is not : >
Edit: Or actually, Bakemonogatari has Senjougahara, this has not : D

They are both light novels that Nisio Isin has penned. Which is why they are commonly compared to each other.

I personally enjoyed this anime, I do like action, but I don't need action, action, action to like a story. I enjoyed that there was plenty of dialogue, which was witty, and yes, fairly Bakemonogatari-esque. I was pleased with what I saw and am definitely continuing on with the series.
Feb 2, 2010 11:18 PM

Oct 2009
Loved it! Art wise, love wise of Shichika x Togame, swords....I love swords! Story wise not a problem.....rebels getting 12 swords that can kill a lot and have alchemy/occult ties because of that Shiki blacksmith. Kyotouryuu...excellent want to know more about it's many fight stances but last I remember most of those names were flower types except the one invented by Shichika himself which was Shichika Hachiretsu! Koumori was pathetic and so was his laugh...only thing was his sword that I gazed with appreciation for its deisgn and maybe the almost naked part of his copy from Togame. The Maniwa nijas are just fools for betraying when apparently I heard their honors being to fulfill their contract deal, which was to bring back one of the 12 swords. Big laugh at Shichika for falling in love so quickly looks like next episode he might be doing it=>

Also since Togame threw her family name and honor was it because she does not want anything to do with the rebel Takahito or was it to bury the hatchet in this generation against Shichika's father? I wonder or does she have ulterior motivations like Koumori said.....the Shogun can backstab her anytime if he finds out who she really is.....you all know right? Officially I am hooked on Togame mainly because of her one eye here=>
Also Shichika is incredible in fighting style here=> I am quite angry at him to have left like some people mentioned earlier Nanami=>
such a lovely sister....if anything happens to her...I will curse Shichika for being ignorant in leaving her...hopefully at the end they come back and she will be ok. Anyone though about Koumori..Batman?=>
So this episodes sword is this one=>
I admit that naked Togame is not bad at least her breasts ain't humongous=>
Overall excellent and love it! Too bad have to watch during a whole year to see how it ends.
francismeunierFeb 3, 2010 10:01 AM

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Feb 2, 2010 11:44 PM

May 2008
Oh God, the intro music. More shows need to have music like that.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Feb 2, 2010 11:48 PM

Oct 2009
ukonkivi said:
Oh God, the intro music. More shows need to have music like that.
Agree with you ukonkivi about the music and also loved the OP and ED. What about you?

Feb 3, 2010 7:22 AM

Dec 2007
I thought it was pretty incredible, honestly. I loved the dialogue, loved the art style...this show is definitely Relative To My Interests.
Feb 3, 2010 8:26 AM

Jan 2009
francismeunier said:
Anyone though about Koumori..Batman?=>
Uhmm.. No? Not even close pal.
Anywho, try to spoiler all of the pictures in your thread, for convenience.
Feb 3, 2010 10:00 AM

Oct 2009
Oosran said:
francismeunier said:
Euh what? I was specifically referring to the bat on his belt thing....it looks a little like the one Batman has.

Feb 3, 2010 10:46 AM
Jul 2018
francismeunier said:
Oosran said:
francismeunier said:
Euh what? I was specifically referring to the bat on his belt thing....it looks a little like the one Batman has.

The first one who actually came into my mind when Koumori appeared was this one xD
(and wtf is Batman, some random NN i guess :P)
Feb 3, 2010 4:11 PM

Feb 2010
I just watched the first episode and loved it.
The art is great, the dialogue is fantastic and the characters are likable. I can't wait to see the rest of this series. :D
Is the series done in Japan? I read that there are 12 episodes, but that doesn't seem like a lot of time for them to complete their mission.
AthenianMangoFeb 5, 2010 7:52 AM
For now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.
Feb 3, 2010 4:47 PM

Jun 2008
I loved it. Dialogue was amazing, the characters were very interesting, I loved the music and animation. I am pumped.

TOGAME IS SO FXXN FXABLE.
Feb 3, 2010 6:12 PM

Oct 2009
HoaRy said:
francismeunier said:
Oosran said:
francismeunier said:

The first one who actually came into my mind when Koumori appeared was this one xD
(and wtf is Batman, some random NN i guess :P)

Batman is a super hero that is in normal times a human being that is very rich and owns many companies. His parents got killed by by criminals is what I know about him.
AthenianMango said:

Is the series done in Japan? I read that there are 12 episodes, but that doesn't seem like a lot of time for them to complete their mission.

12 x 2 since each are 1 hour so maybe it might be enough time.

Feb 5, 2010 7:11 AM

Jul 2008
Greggo said:
I thought it was pretty incredible, honestly. I loved the dialogue, loved the art style...this show is definitely Relative To My Interests.
MTE. This is so my type of show.

BEGINNER
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Jul 9, 2010

225 by valennienana »»
Apr 25, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Apr 22, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

bautrey37 - May 23, 2010

163 by Aldones »»
Feb 18, 2023 7:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.