Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 30, 2016 3:12 AM

Dec 2015
So after seeing the peoples response after watching the anime, they say that the light novels are better. I therefore want to start reading them but considering I have never read a manga/LN before I dont know where to start (but I know that you read from the right when on a new page). I have been looking a bit online from what order you should read but I dont understand what they're saying. They're talking about volumes and such but there are no volumes in the LN?

At the moment, I am reading on mangahere. I've only read the first 2 chapters and starting on the third, because I've noticed that theres a 2 year jump between them. So obviously there is something to cover for that.

So the reason I am writing this, is because it would be greatly appreciated if any nice soul out there could tell me which order to read, based on this website that I mentioned earlier or suggest another site to read on. Here's the link btw http://www.mangahere.co/search.php?name=Sword+art+online
I've heard that some are spin-offs and I dont need to read those. I've also seen the whole anime including S2 so spoilers are fine up until that point.

Like I said a bit in the beginning I have already been looking up the chronological order to read, obviously I don't understand. I took the order from here: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120717002636AAGqnsN
In the answer there are multiple volumes, but on mangahere, I dont see any volumes anywhere? As you might've noticed I am confused in this subject and maybe coming here to ask for help isn't the best place but it was the only place I know that I could receive help from.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge and all help is appreciated!

FaarfJul 30, 2016 1:49 PM
Jul 30, 2016 3:45 AM

Aug 2014
What you are reading on mangahere is not the Light Novel, it's the Manga version. Considering the Light Novel has been licensed, chances are you'll have to buy the official translated version (you can buy them on amazon) or try and see if you can find some of the fantranslations somewhere on the net.
Jul 30, 2016 3:50 AM

Dec 2015
Oh okay so it is infact the manga anyway, that might explain some of the confusion. If that's the case I'll maybe have to buy the Light novel from somewhere if I can't find it on the net. Even though it isn't the LN, I still don't understand how to read the manga based on their description of the order. It would still be very appreciated if that was explained.

Thanks for your answer.
FaarfJul 30, 2016 4:00 AM
Jul 30, 2016 3:54 AM

Mar 2012
Light Novel is a novel(book) but with add of illustration. Basically just text with several illustration in between.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 30, 2016 6:45 AM

Aug 2014
@Faarf
This is the first part in the manga series, from there just go with the sequel button to see the order you should be reading them in.
Jul 30, 2016 10:31 AM

Dec 2015
Hmm, okay I'll just read then and see where it takes me.
Jul 30, 2016 10:51 AM

Jun 2012
If you only plan to read where the anime(2nd season)was left off from the Light Novel, then you start at Volume 9.
But if you'll be reading it from the beginning, this is how it was written:

This is a makeshift timeline of the anime’s episodes and their written counterparts:
Season 1 - Aincrad
Episode 1 - Volume 1, Chapters 2-3.
Episode 2 - Progressive Volume 1. (The Progressive LNs are essentially a reboot of the Aincrad arc, retelling how Kirito and Asuna met, as well as the clearing of the first couple of floors.)
Episode 3 - Volume 2, Red-nosed Reindeer.
Episode 4 - Volume 2, The Black Swordsman.
Episodes 5-6 - Volume 8, A Murder Case in the Area.
Episode 7 - Volume 2, Warmth of the Heart.
Episodes 8-10 - Volume 1, Chapters 4-16.
Episodes 11-12 - Volume 2, Morning Dew Girl.
Episodes 13-14 - Volume 1, 17-25.
Season 1 - Fairy Dance
Episodes 15-25 - Volumes 3-4, Chapters 1-9 (split up between volumes).
Season 2 - Phantom Bullet
Episodes 1-14 - Volumes 5-6, Chapters 1-16 (split up between volumes).
Season 2 - Caliber
Episodes 15-17 - Volume 8, Caliber.
Season 2 - Mother’s Rosario
Episodes 18-24 - Volume 7, All.

If you are wondering why the books are written in a mess up order

The Aincrad arc is scattered across three volumes in the series (1, 2, 8). This is because SAO, even before the web novels, was written for a science fiction contest which is now called Dengeki Novel Prize. However, it exceeded the word limit, and was disqualified. Reki Kawahara, under his pen name, published it online, leading to the web novels being written, etc etc. As it got popular, people wanted to see more of what happened between the large time gap in the first volume (where it skips from Kirito leaving Klein behind to, two years later, capturing the Ragout Rabbit). This led to today’s equivalent of Volume 2 (the Lisbeth, Silica, Sachi, and Yui side stories) being written, and to the overall sequel Fairy Dance, and so on. Kawahara revisited Aincrad again in Volume 8 with A Murder Case in the Area (which Episodes 5-6 are based off of in the anime) and First Day (no anime equivalent).

You can buy these light novels online and I hope you do so, I think the official english version is currently at the 8th(?) volume so far or you may also search for it around the internet., Fan-translations already translated it up to Volume 16.
Jul 30, 2016 1:47 PM

Dec 2015
Thanks for your answer and time to make me understand a bit more. I've found a place to read the LN (with some help from another user) and will start to read it. Now when I understand the chronological order I will get things started. I dont know tho if its more worth to buy it than to read it online, but we'll see.

You can consider this thread solved so the title has changed and thanks a lot to everyone who has contributed.

Also, to answer you @Zaphkiel_El_Rem I intend to read beyond s2 in the anime. There also seems to be from Vol 1 -16 so the first 8 are official sort of speak and the 9 - 16 are fan translated if I understood things correctly. Eitherway I'll have some help from here https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120717002636AAGqnsN to make sure I read in the right order.
FaarfJul 30, 2016 1:50 PM
Aug 1, 2016 11:23 AM

Jan 2014
Faarf said:
Thanks for your answer and time to make me understand a bit more. I've found a place to read the LN (with some help from another user) and will start to read it. Now when I understand the chronological order I will get things started. I dont know tho if its more worth to buy it than to read it online, but we'll see.

You can consider this thread solved so the title has changed and thanks a lot to everyone who has contributed.

Also, to answer you @Zaphkiel_El_Rem I intend to read beyond s2 in the anime. There also seems to be from Vol 1 -16 so the first 8 are official sort of speak and the 9 - 16 are fan translated if I understood things correctly. Eitherway I'll have some help from here https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120717002636AAGqnsN to make sure I read in the right order.

I Highly recommend to read from the beginning, because anime skipped a lot (like A LOT, and very important things).

P.s there is also Progressive novel series, which is reboot of Aincrad arc floor by floor and it's also worth to read (like, really, it's amazing). Anime didn't cover it, except half of the first volume.

That link is quite old. If you want to read in chronological order (which is not necessary at all, but you are free to choose, I prefer to read it like that, personally), I've made an exclusive correct list in this forum a while ago and updated it.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1152949&show=0#msg36690429
TapuTapuuAug 1, 2016 12:35 PM
Aug 2, 2016 7:21 AM

Dec 2015
Thanks for the updated link, I'll be sure to read according to this.

More topics from this board

» Stuff that made you lower your score/rating? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by RobertBobert »»
Feb 18, 10:26 AM

» Still feels rushed

Cneq - Nov 14, 2022

7 by Saynarra »»
Jan 19, 4:08 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Volume 4 Chapter 9 Discussion

Shadow_Strider - Dec 4, 2012

2 by eleonora_43 »»
Oct 14, 2023 4:23 AM

» Continue the LN after the last season

baltazak - Apr 5, 2023

2 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Oct 13, 2023 2:52 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Chapter 2 Discussion

Kiba_Senpai - Nov 27, 2022

0 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Nov 27, 2022 4:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.