Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 11, 2016 11:58 PM
Jul 2016
***DISCLAIMERS***
I love Hellsing Ultimate, it's a fantastic anime and I recommend it to folks regardless of the questions I'm gonna ask here. These might be plot holes or just things that seemed strange and didn't make sense to me.

I've only watched the anime so I wouldn't know if some of these questions are answered in the manga.
There will obviously be spoilers for the show here.
***DISCLAIMERS***

In no particular order, here we go SPOILER WARNING --

1. What was the objective of the 9th crusade? What did the Catholics expect to achieve with a tiny force of less than 3000 infantry troops, no aircraft (besides transport helicopters) \ artillery \ heavy armor \ ships etc?

2. Alucard is the first vampire right? How did he become one? All I could find in the wiki is that seconds before he was executed he licked some blood off the floor. How \ why that would turn someone into the first vampire in history is unclear to me.

3. Why did Walt turning into a vampire cause him to get younger? For every other vampire it made them stop ageing but not become progressively younger.

4. What's up with Walter's "powers"? They are far beyond what a human can do with regular wires. Is there magic involved? Any explanation beyond "he's very skilled"?

5. In the wiki it's said The Doctor is immortal, which explains why he hasn't aged between the first time we see him in the 40's in The Dawn and during Hellsing. However it doesn't look like he's turned into a vampire so how did he achieve immortality?

6. Alucard is "dead" at the start of the show which is around the 1980's and is revived by Integra's blood. This means someone \ something managed to "kill" him between 1945 and the 1980's. This incident is never mentioned in the show, as far as I noticed. How did this happen?

7. Anderson is shown to have incredible regeneration powers in episode 3 when he basically comes back to life after being shot in the head, however in the final battle his arm is injured and does not regenerate at all. Why? seems very inconsistent.

8. How does magic work in the show's universe? This isn't really a plot hole, I'm just curious because the logic and mechanics of magic are never properly explained.

That's all I can think of for now, looking forward to some discussion :)
Jul 12, 2016 4:24 AM

Nov 2015
Very hazy on the anime, so more from a manga perspective.

1. The vampire/nazis were only supposed to be around 2000+ strong
2. Very vague. Pure speculation. He says anderson is the same as him. So I guess you can presume at some point even before what was shown he did or found something that turned him into a monster like anderson did with the thorn.
3. In the manga, it was implied something was done to him with his body gradually aging backwards. It was also clear he had very limited time for his body to last.
4. very skilled
5. No explicit explanation and the immortality is a presumption because he doesn't age, I don't think he ever says he's immortal. But the methods for immortality are there for him to use.
6. Alucard was always under control by the hellsing organization. "dead' just meaning they kept him secured after the war.
7. I don't recall the anime at all but he has turned into a monster at this point, with his regen power being derived from the thorns instead. I think alucard makes the point he can't even absorb him anymore.
8. Not sure how to answer this. Pretty vague, the magic seems limited to special items and vampire powers. I think it was clear what they could do. The only really vague one was how alucards power was restricted by the hellsing organization.

I'd recommend reading the manga, It isn't text heavy and very quick to go through.
Jul 12, 2016 9:12 AM
Jul 2016
So the Catholics just wanted to wipe out the vampires as an act of altruism? Even tho the vampires were attacking their hated enemies the protestants... I guess that's the only reason that would make sense though as obviously they cant conquer England with that tiny force.

Anderson had the injury before he used the spike. It was convenient for the plot for him to not heal, as Alucard comments that he admires Anderson for continuing to fight even with such horrible injuries, so I think it was more important for them to make that point than to stay consistent about his abilities.

About reading the manga, I dunno. The anime covered like 80%-90%~ of the story? Don't feel like reading through a story I already know to find the remaining 15% of new stuff =\
Jul 13, 2016 8:04 AM

Apr 2009
Man_Internet said:
1. What was the objective of the 9th crusade? What did the Catholics expect to achieve with a tiny force of less than 3000 infantry troops, no aircraft (besides transport helicopters) \ artillery \ heavy armor \ ships etc?

The idea was to use Nazi attack on London as an excuse and a diversion in order to invade and wipe out heretics. Since Maxwell was Catholic while England is mostly Protestant, to Maxwell everyone in London except for his men was a heretic that had to be destroyed, Nazis, Hellsing and civilian Londoners included.
Major only had around 1000 soldiers, Maxwell had 3172 knights trained and armed to fight monsters (and that is without Anderson's Iscariots), so he thought it was enough. Also originally Catholics thought Alucard was out of the picture stuck in the middle of the ocean, yet when it became clear Alucard was coming back, Maxwell decided to continue with his plan regardless, since he became super arrogant with his new title at this point.
Man_Internet said:
2. Alucard is the first vampire right? How did he become one? All I could find in the wiki is that seconds before he was executed he licked some blood off the floor. How \ why that would turn someone into the first vampire in history is unclear to me.

It was never stated he was the first vampire, we actually have no idea about that, also since he's only around 600 years old, there must have been other vampires throughout history. What is known is that his vampirism didn't come from another vampire, but was self-obtained, which is a rare origin for a vampire, yet not completely unique either, which we also know for a fact.
Basically by Hellsing lore on large battlefields where lots of people were slaughtered, sometimes consciousness/souls of those countless killed unwilling to parish try to cling to this world by entering a body of their last standing dying/soon to be killed comrade. This kind of life transfer occurs through blood that gathers and flows to the chosen person, that person can accept the offer by drinking said blood in order to become a vampire carrying consciousness/souls of the blood overpast owners or refuse the deal altogether. Alucard did accept the deal, after his army was defeated and destroyed by Ottomans he licked the blood of his executed soldiers right before he was himself beheaded by an Ottoman slaughterman. On the other hand, after getting shot by a Soviet shooting squad in Berlin, Major also had a chance to become a vampire the very same way as Alucard did, yet Major refused the offer since he despised vampirism due to its hive mind properties.
Man_Internet said:
3. Why did Walt turning into a vampire cause him to get younger? For every other vampire it made them stop ageing but not become progressively younger.

Major's army was made from old men WW2 Nazi veterans. They all did become younger after Doc turned them into artificial vampires. Walter's age became unstable because his turning had to be done in a hurry, plus Doc made an artificial vampire on steroids out of him, much more powerful from regular Major's soldiers, so there was a price to pay for such experimental treatment.
Man_Internet said:
4. What's up with Walter's "powers"? They are far beyond what a human can do with regular wires. Is there magic involved? Any explanation beyond "he's very skilled"?

No detailed explanation here, sorry.
Man_Internet said:
5. In the wiki it's said The Doctor is immortal, which explains why he hasn't aged between the first time we see him in the 40's in The Dawn and during Hellsing. However it doesn't look like he's turned into a vampire so how did he achieve immortality?

No detailed explanation as well. Also Doc was a genius biologist, so I guess he just figured something out. He would not age, yet he also seemingly had no special battle abilities whatsoever, so whatever he did to stay young had no military use to Millennium anyway. Or maybe he was an artificial vampire after all, yet simply didn't care to learn any fighting skills.
Man_Internet said:
6. Alucard is "dead" at the start of the show which is around the 1980's and is revived by Integra's blood. This means someone \ something managed to "kill" him between 1945 and the 1980's. This incident is never mentioned in the show, as far as I noticed. How did this happen?

He's not dead at this time period, more like hibernated. While Integra treats Alucard as a person, it appears that Arthur Hellsing thought of him more as of a living weapon. During WW2 Alucard was deployed to the battlefield, did his job, got back and was put on a shelf on stand-by mode until he was needed once more.
Man_Internet said:
7. Anderson is shown to have incredible regeneration powers in episode 3 when he basically comes back to life after being shot in the head, however in the final battle his arm is injured and does not regenerate at all. Why? seems very inconsistent.

A couple of bullets from Alucard's Casull pistol is nothing compared to Alucard's Jackal. Remember, Walter made Jackal specifically as an ace weapon against Anderson. It just inflicted damage faster and in more volume than Anderson was able to regenerate on the fly.
Man_Internet said:
8. How does magic work in the show's universe? This isn't really a plot hole, I'm just curious because the logic and mechanics of magic are never properly explained.

Some magic was explained while some wasn't, you'll have to be more specific with that question.
Aug 12, 2016 1:32 AM

Jul 2009
Klimat said:
Man_Internet said:

The idea was to use Nazi attack on London as an excuse and a diversion in order to invade and wipe out heretics. Since Maxwell was Catholic while England is mostly Protestant, to Maxwell everyone in London except for his men was a heretic that had to be destroyed, Nazis, Hellsing and civilian Londoners included.
Major only had around 1000 soldiers, Maxwell had 3172 knights trained and armed to fight monsters (and that is without Anderson's Iscariots), so he thought it was enough. Also originally Catholics thought Alucard was out of the picture stuck in the middle of the ocean, yet when it became clear Alucard was coming back, Maxwell decided to continue with his plan regardless, since he became super arrogant with his new title at this point.
Man_Internet said:

It was never stated he was the first vampire, we actually have no idea about that, also since he's only around 600 years old, there must have been other vampires throughout history. What is known is that his vampirism didn't come from another vampire, but was self-obtained, which is a rare origin for a vampire, yet not completely unique either, which we also know for a fact.
Basically by Hellsing lore on large battlefields where lots of people were slaughtered, sometimes consciousness/souls of those countless killed unwilling to parish try to cling to this world by entering a body of their last standing dying/soon to be killed comrade. This kind of life transfer occurs through blood that gathers and flows to the chosen person, that person can accept the offer by drinking said blood in order to become a vampire carrying consciousness/souls of the blood overpast owners or refuse the deal altogether. Alucard did accept the deal, after his army was defeated and destroyed by Ottomans he licked the blood of his executed soldiers right before he was himself beheaded by an Ottoman slaughterman. On the other hand, after getting shot by a Soviet shooting squad in Berlin, Major also had a chance to become a vampire the very same way as Alucard did, yet Major refused the offer since he despised vampirism due to its hive mind properties.
Man_Internet said:

Major's army was made from old men WW2 Nazi veterans. They all did become younger after Doc turned them into artificial vampires. Walter's age became unstable because his turning had to be done in a hurry, plus Doc made an artificial vampire on steroids out of him, much more powerful from regular Major's soldiers, so there was a price to pay for such experimental treatment.
Man_Internet said:

No detailed explanation here, sorry.
Man_Internet said:

No detailed explanation as well. Also Doc was a genius biologist, so I guess he just figured something out. He would not age, yet he also seemingly had no special battle abilities whatsoever, so whatever he did to stay young had no military use to Millennium anyway. Or maybe he was an artificial vampire after all, yet simply didn't care to learn any fighting skills.
Man_Internet said:

He's not dead at this time period, more like hibernated. While Integra treats Alucard as a person, it appears that Arthur Hellsing thought of him more as of a living weapon. During WW2 Alucard was deployed to the battlefield, did his job, got back and was put on a shelf on stand-by mode until he was needed once more.
Man_Internet said:

A couple of bullets from Alucard's Casull pistol is nothing compared to Alucard's Jackal. Remember, Walter made Jackal specifically as an ace weapon against Anderson. It just inflicted damage faster and in more volume than Anderson was able to regenerate on the fly.
Man_Internet said:

Some magic was explained while some wasn't, you'll have to be more specific with that question.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!!!
Sep 4, 2017 3:43 AM

Jan 2016
Is Alucard's prehistory been explained in one of the mangas?

I mean how Integra's father brought him under control
Sep 4, 2017 8:30 PM

Dec 2010
Man_Internet said:
So the Catholics just wanted to wipe out the vampires as an act of altruism? Even tho the vampires were attacking their hated enemies the protestants... I guess that's the only reason that would make sense though as obviously they cant conquer England with that tiny force.

I'd say it was more of an act of zealotry than actual altruism. Maxwell especially was driven by a thirst for blood and status. That's why Anderson didn't like it and punished him for losing sight of his mission, which was supposed to be nothing more than observation, damage control and threat containment. They were only supposed to pick up the pieces after the protestants and the nazis had finished tearing each other apart.
Sacrificing sleep and sanity for more anime-induced dopamine.
Sep 20, 2017 10:09 AM

Apr 2009
Bulma777 said:
Is Alucard's prehistory been explained in one of the mangas?

I mean how Integra's father brought him under control

It was not Integra's father (Arthur Hellsing) who brought Alucard under control, it was her grand-grand-...-grand-father Abraham Van Helsing and his crew. ReadBram Stoker's Dracula for details, also in Hellsing canon the ending to Dracula is interpreted slightly different.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hellsing Ultimate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OmegaRed - Jul 29, 2008

154 by aronbebop »»
Apr 22, 8:15 AM

Poll: » Hellsing Ultimate Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Klimat - Feb 15, 2012

157 by liliyoa »»
Apr 10, 11:03 PM

Poll: » Hellsing Ultimate Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Klimat - Dec 24, 2009

275 by Comander-07 »»
Mar 27, 11:09 AM

Poll: » Hellsing Ultimate Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JudgeRuthless - Aug 6, 2012

298 by Hayoka_ »»
Mar 23, 6:39 PM

Poll: » Dub or Sub?

Garou_Monster - Aug 13, 2022

16 by Argonnant »»
Feb 29, 2:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.