Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 8, 2016 1:32 PM

Mar 2013
Wow, adorable!
I've been looking forward to this show since it was announced, I felt inmediately attracted by the characters and their design.
And I wasn't disappointed at all!

The lighthearted comedy and puppet-ish chibi scenes made me chuckle quite a few times. Kinda new to me but it doesn't really bother me. It was absolutely beautiful with those backgrounds as well. Pretty relaxing and calm if you ask me. Both girls are really cute! But I definitely want to know more about them and how Hikari will get Futaba into scuba diving.
Jul 8, 2016 1:33 PM

Jun 2014
Touniouk said:
Pretty disappointing tbh, I guess it's my fault for judging by the cover but I sure as hell wasn't expecting some gimmicky chibi diking around.
Still entertaining but so far doesn't compare to some other SoL this season.

Aria did it all the time. Same crew behind it, so saw it coming a mile away.

Anyway OT - This was amazing. 5/5 episode.
Jul 8, 2016 1:55 PM

May 2013
Amazing first episode! it has strong similarities with Aria.
I love how they emphasized on the facial expressions.
Jul 8, 2016 2:04 PM

Sep 2014
Kozue sensei hypeee!!! It's been so long since I've read the beginning of the manga but why do I feel like dotty met the teacher in the first chapter, that might have been the second though. Anyways I'm very happy with this studio. Since they were doing 3 different shows this season I was worried this would be pushed to the side but thank god my lawd this is beautiful. Also

Starting off strong with the Pikari x Dotty ;^)

EDIT: Why did I think this was being done by JC staff... EDIT 2: I'm losing my mind
KrowzinJul 8, 2016 2:10 PM
Jul 8, 2016 2:08 PM

Apr 2016
I mean, it's not bad, but I'm just not into a romance between girls is all.
Jul 8, 2016 2:30 PM

Nov 2014
Kagami said:
Touniouk said:
Pretty disappointing tbh, I guess it's my fault for judging by the cover but I sure as hell wasn't expecting some gimmicky chibi diking around.
Still entertaining but so far doesn't compare to some other SoL this season.

Aria did it all the time. Same crew behind it, so saw it coming a mile away.

I never watched Aria tho.
Jul 8, 2016 2:32 PM

Jul 2014
I love the faces the characters make, just like Aria. Really makes the show unique. Will always love anything sung by Sakamoto Maaya.
Jul 8, 2016 2:35 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Last season's SOLs kinda spoiled me, so my expectations were pretty high. Overall, this series seems pretty good and I want to see more of it. J.C. Staff's on a role!

4/5
Jul 8, 2016 2:50 PM
Nov 2013
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. As a huge Aria fan, I had high expectations for this. Glad that they have been fulfilled. Based J.C Staff for the win!

5/5, will most likely be my AOTS.
Jul 8, 2016 2:52 PM

Nov 2007
Hmm idk.
There was stuff that was really bothering me. The cat,the fckn girl school uniforms, those faces, the background music, main girl being too genki, the attempts at comedy that didn't manage to get even slight smile from me....

but i'm not giving up yet
Jul 8, 2016 2:57 PM

Nov 2014
Pikari is like an insane Akari. I like her doll face.

I'm glad the cat is quiet.

Nice episode. It went by really fast.

5/5
Jul 8, 2016 3:22 PM

Apr 2016
This anime made me smile way too much.
Girl version of Free! anyone?
Yeah...
I like this better than Free! so far, way better.
"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater."
~Einstein
(~.~)

Jul 8, 2016 3:34 PM
Jul 2018
Quite a bit more comedic in comparison to Aria personally, but I did enjoyed it.
The facial expressions though, are so damn adorable to the point I want to pinch their cheeks.
Jul 8, 2016 3:55 PM

Oct 2014
Perfect art style. Beautiful and cute. Not knowing anything going in, this was WAY better than I expected!
Jul 8, 2016 3:56 PM

Nov 2015
I'm not sure how long I'll last on this one.

Positives: great music all the way through, beautiful setting (and I like the idea of having scuba diving as a unifying theme), and very cute character designs when the main characters are just being normal.

Negatives: awful chibi faces, ugly Aria-style cats, ridiculously stupid uniforms (I cannot stand those ludicrous flouncy skirts with frills), and Hikari's truly irritating personality (I can't imagine having to deal with her annoying crap every day...poor Futaba).

I will give this a couple more tries but I can't imagine this as a relaxing or enjoyable show. Hikari alone is just way too much for me to handle. I'm disappointed but not shocked, since a lot of the things that irritate me about Aria are here as well.
Jul 8, 2016 4:30 PM

Aug 2012
I'm so glad I randomly decided to click on this to watch! This was so adorable and sweet :)
"Pikari" is one of those particular characters that I love! If I was in that school I'd be drawn to her instantly!She's just so weird and charismatic and lovable. And lets not forget "Teko" She is so beautiful and shy and awkward; something like me in a way. And the animation was amazingggggg! As soon as it started and that opening (which was so beautiful!!) begun to play, I knew I would love this :)
Can't wait for the rest of the episodes!
Jul 8, 2016 4:38 PM

Oct 2013
The cast was well chosen. I think Kayano Ai has that smooth voice to portray Futaba in contrast to Suzuki Eri's chirpy rendition of Hikari.

Though this might seem a dumb question, but did Amano intend for this to be in the same universe as Aria? Is it occurring before or after Aria? Aria mentioned that the seas of Man-Home are dead. Is this just a different universe?
Jul 8, 2016 4:41 PM

May 2015
J.C.Staff giving it their all in this show, and wow, I loved it. Even though I haven't watched Aria yet, it definitely had the same vibe like in Tamayura.

Those faces are adorable. Hikari is fun to watch and Futaba is beautiful. I loved this first episode a lot.

Jul 8, 2016 4:52 PM

Oct 2011
This was... amazing. Last season Flying Witch and now this - good year for JC.

Ok chibi faces and weird cat might be distracting (still it's same as Aria and since Satou Junichi is making it strange animals ought to appear).

Pikari is fun to watch.
Dotty on the other side is adorable so I'll take her as main character being stalked by walking ball of energy.

As expected looks and sound great, I hope they include all those diving trivia that appeared in manga.
Jul 8, 2016 5:37 PM
Sep 2014
Anyone noticed they cut out the entirety of chapter 2? ._.

rsc-pl said:
This is exactly the quality which I'm expecting by JC staff. Beautiful, just beautiful.
The only thing which I didn't like are that chibi faces, it is passing me off almost in every series where it occurs.

It's the author's trademark. They're here to stay.
fatalysticJul 8, 2016 5:40 PM
Jul 8, 2016 7:19 PM

Jul 2015
This basin under water is great example of twisted anime phisics.

Also I think those comical faces are way overused.

Jul 8, 2016 7:21 PM
Aug 2011
twigglyfiggly said:
I mean, it's not bad, but I'm just not into a romance between girls is all.

Jul 8, 2016 7:35 PM

Dec 2014
KOHINATA IS SO DAMN CUTE! I can't even ... ;-;
Nice first episode. c: Loved it.
BlancchetJul 8, 2016 9:08 PM
Jul 8, 2016 8:40 PM

Nov 2010
Just watched it for the second time.

I can't find something to complain, i'm very in love with this show and i think it will get better by the episode. about the chibi faces, i think if you were a huge fan of Aria like myself, you wouldn't have a problem with it whatsoever but i would say we might see them less, since will be underwater and spend sometimes training. though i prefer them to be there.

not much more, i'm just gonna relax and enjoy this show every week with absolute peace and calmness.
Jul 8, 2016 9:32 PM
Sep 2014
Piromysl said:
This basin under water is great example of twisted anime phisics.

What do you mean? There's no problem with having an air pocket trapped under the basin with the basin underwater assuming there aren't any gaps in the basin itself for the air to escape. And on top of that, Hikari placed a rock on the basin to stop it from floating upward...well, it's probably a little too small to actually manage it but the idea is sound at least.
Jul 8, 2016 11:11 PM

Nov 2012
this was pretty good, pretty much what i expected when it comes to atmosphere and all. might take me a few more episodes to really grab me though. :>
Jul 9, 2016 12:02 AM

Feb 2014
I really liked Flying Witch from JC last season but this was pretty bad. The characters for me were just unlikable.
Jul 9, 2016 12:19 AM

Aug 2008
Gnowmickly said:
Teko? Some changes here and there but works flawlessly.

Pretty sure the scanlators just translated teko as dotty because it was easier to write out her reason for picking the nickname that way.
Jul 9, 2016 12:56 AM

Sep 2013
I got the Aria feel very hard on this,ost was AMAZING,chara design and visual too.

I really loved the humor and the characters(this main character will make me forget Akari very quickly,she's amazing and also have this way of seeing the world like her)

The teacher's speech was really touching and a tears got down watching the ending(who was clearly amazing like the opening )

I really thought this would never be of the level of quality Aria provided when i saw the teaser but i know now i was be wrong and this could turn amazingly,can't wait for the next episode ! 9/10
ropielJul 9, 2016 12:59 AM
Deep dark fantasies
Jul 9, 2016 2:10 AM

Jul 2013
Pretty much Amachan the anime.. though maybe less wacky XD

I really love the vibe that this anime gives.. nothing much happen yeah but for some reason it's not boring at all (at least less than Flying Witch). Their dumb expressions were just so cute and funny.
Jul 9, 2016 3:51 AM

May 2010

No no. You guys mistaken my "Teko?" & "Some changes..", they're two separate things. I'm surprised about the name Teko because at my place Teko is a teapot :3 & I read chinese version of Amanchu all the time and I only know the name Dotty from forum post. Regarding "Some changes..." spoiler less just refer PV2 & Chapter 2 & there are some other minor one.
Jul 9, 2016 4:18 AM

Jun 2014
Nice soundtrack, also derpface galore.
Very good first impression overall.
Jul 9, 2016 5:02 AM

Aug 2013
*wow, this reminds me of ARIA, even the school uniform is like undine outfit*
well shit, just found out it has the same author hahaha

so chill
Jul 9, 2016 5:10 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm This episode was actually pretty smooth and the animation was fluid and graceful. Character design looks good as well. And i dunno but this anime is just so relaxing as well
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2016 5:53 AM

Jan 2016
I liked the first episode. The Aria vibes are definitely here, the teacher reminded me of Akira.
Johnnyd3rpJul 9, 2016 5:57 AM
Jul 9, 2016 6:19 AM

Feb 2014
Well that was slightly disappointing. The constant breaking into chibi manga faces was jarring and annoying. And the green haired "Pikari" girl is like a discount Akari. Also, the last part of the OP made me shudder. Hopefully we're not in for some yuri baiting.

So far the only thing I like in this show is the music and Teko, especially Ai Kayano's voice acting for her.
Jul 9, 2016 7:36 AM
Feb 2015
The animation and art-style was very AMAZING!!!! also the ep was fun and relaxing, can't wait to see more ocean/diving scenes.
Those school uniforms were new and wierd (in a good way)^^
Jul 9, 2016 7:58 AM

Jul 2012
The OP is soooo good. I think I replayed it ten times before watching the actual episode.

Unsurprisingly, the atmosphere is very similar to Aria. Which is not a bad thing of course!
Jul 9, 2016 8:03 AM

Jun 2012
BlueBalls said:
Way too many of those silly faces though

Agreed. Hopefully they get toned down a bit as this goes on. It kind of breaks my immersion when it's used in like half the scenes. Also I don't care for the girls' school uniforms. Something about how they fit, looks like they are getting swallowed by their dresses.

Besides that, I found this to be very enjoyable. I love seaside settings, they are so chill and pleasant.
Jul 9, 2016 8:19 AM

May 2010
Gotta say im liking it so far.

Pikari's expression reminds me of:
Jul 9, 2016 8:59 AM

Sep 2013
Hooked, ready to see another episode. That was relaxing and pretty funny. Love the opening song too.

Jul 9, 2016 9:59 AM

Jan 2011
Whoop Whoop

JC Staff working over time this season !,i'd be happy if they put out a New SoL each season while it wasn't on the most eventful side it was still fun to watch despite the insane of amount of silly faces
Jul 9, 2016 10:03 AM

Oct 2012
I don't know why, but i have a feeling that this anime will make me cry when they graduated...

Jul 9, 2016 12:31 PM

Feb 2015
That was super beautiful and relaxing. I have a definite feeling this is going to be really good, can't wait for the next episode.
Jul 9, 2016 12:33 PM
Mar 2016

I'm starting to think that there gonna be some yuri thing with these two.
Jul 9, 2016 2:40 PM

Dec 2012
Very relaxing and the characters eyes are funny. As Stark700 said, it's impressive that there is no fanservice in a beach episode ^^. It looks promising.
Jul 9, 2016 2:45 PM

Mar 2015
Oh NO, OH GAAAAAAAWWWWDD

I just knew that it's the same creator of Aria series

I love Aria so much I couldn't even dare to watch Aria the Origination yet.

Now, I feel like I need to finish the whole Aria series right now.

Jul 9, 2016 5:14 PM

Jul 2015
Whoop... Intro is surprisingly nice whoop. Gonna need to hear that again next week whoop. And their ummm... derp faces are... definitely something whoop, and they appear pretty often. I don't mind t all that much though. This will be such a strange relationship, and I look forward to seeing how it develops whoop whoop whoopity whoop whoop.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jul 9, 2016 6:02 PM

Aug 2012
I really like expressions, they're funny. This anime seems to be great, and since I'm also into water stuff myself, a feast for me!
Jul 9, 2016 6:03 PM

Jul 2013
i love the op! i find the ed to very forgettable though... not that i pay much attention to ed's anyway, so it doesn't matter (in recent memory the only ones i can think of that i loved are steins;gate and erased).

the animation style was pretty unique, too. i really love the way the eyes are drawn, and the comical expressions. something about the way the bridge of the nose and the mouths are drawn irk me though. oh well.

after watching and reading so many action series lately, i'm really starting to appreciate slow burner shows like these. i've watched my fair share of slice of life in the past but generally even they have their fair share of melodrama at times (...*side-eyes kyoani*). tanaka kun from last season was super refreshing and i'm glad i decided to watch this show on a whim. ^.^

some yuri hints would be a super mega ultra bonus lol
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Amanchu! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2016

69 by Karva1 »»
Feb 15, 6:36 PM

Poll: » Amanchu! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2016

113 by Gyarutsundere »»
Sep 10, 2023 1:12 AM

Poll: » Amanchu! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2016

59 by Gyarutsundere »»
Sep 1, 2023 4:17 PM

Poll: » Amanchu! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2016

63 by Gyarutsundere »»
Sep 1, 2023 3:56 PM

» ErwinJA's SCUBA FAQ

ErwinJA - Jul 29, 2016

8 by Gyarutsundere »»
Aug 29, 2023 10:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.