Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 2, 2016 11:07 PM
Jul 2018
This kind of anime is such a balance of happily peppy and dorkily adorable that I can never not love it. Goddamn you, idols, making me into more of a moefag! I love the animation, the girls designs (I honestly prefer them over the original cast, even if they're all cute as hell) and You's expressions are awesome.

Hanamaru & You already preselected as my baes tbh
Jul 2, 2016 11:22 PM

Mar 2008
It was alright. Honestly just hearing the original cast singing for a bit made me feel a bit bad that this series isn't about them...

I think it will be decent. Though I don't get the feeling from the first episode that this group can catch up to the original cast in terms of entertainment.

It's a solid start to the show and you get a feel for a lot of the main cast immediately. Should be a good and enjoyable show.
Jul 2, 2016 11:28 PM
Apr 2013
Kanan reacts at the word School Idol from Chika, and the way she looks at the Helicopter assuming it is Mari.
Dia knows what is needed to enter Love Live and being adamant about the School Idol club.
The third years in the rain on the OP.

They tried making an idol club back then but probably failed.
Jul 3, 2016 12:03 AM

Mar 2014
everything is ok but the VA casts suck. they lack of ability on voice performance
Jul 3, 2016 12:18 AM

Jan 2012
broandgar said:
Kanan reacts at the word School Idol from Chika, and the way she looks at the Helicopter assuming it is Mari.
Dia knows what is needed to enter Love Live and being adamant about the School Idol club.
The third years in the rain on the OP.

They tried making an idol club back then but probably failed.

Spot on. This is exactly what I think lol

I like these characters better than the original girls. Except Nozomi. Best girl forever.
Chika > Honoka. Honoka was 10x more annoying and it seems we wont have an annoying Hanayo either which is great.
Jul 3, 2016 12:29 AM

Apr 2009
this anime has the same vibe like the first LL but it went up something good
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Jul 3, 2016 12:31 AM

Mar 2010
Grimmbae said:
No matter how many Love Livers will deny it, Chika is a literal copy and paste of Honoka.

Honoka - sees A-Rise perform on a big screen in the city which inspires her to become an idol.
Chika - sees U's perform on a big screen in the city which inspires her to become an idol.

Honoka - her mom runs a sweet shop and she has a reliable sister.
Chika - her mom runs a cafe and she has a reliable sister(?)

Honoka - happy go lucky, doesn't really take it seriously. Gets rejected by student council president.
Chika - happy go lucky, doesn't really take it seriously. Gets rejected by student council president.

Honoka - has orange hair.
Chika - has orange hair.

Honoka - once Kotori sees how serious she is, she joins.
Chika - once You sees how serious she is, she joins.

And I swear to weeb jesus that a fair few of Dia's lines were literally copied and pasted from Eli.

Agreed, Chika is my least favourite
Jul 3, 2016 12:35 AM

Aug 2012
Why is the story the same again like LL season 1..!?? The struggle to form the club, no one wants to join, rejection from Seitokaichou, osananajimi is the first to join, etc etc..!!??? Giving how popular Love Live is, the club at least should've been formed from the get-go and already have enough members to join. Here I was expecting different approach for the new generation ╮(╯▽╰)╭

Though it's nice to see all μ's members again after awhile even though it's just in a video. I hope there will be cameos at some point. All in all, decent start at best. Many of the characters reminded me of the past μ's members, like Umi, Ericchi, Nozomi, Nico, Hanayo, and Kotori. The chuunibyou girl seems interesting, and we got a real ojou-sama for the first time hmmm (*´~`*)
Jul 3, 2016 12:40 AM

Sep 2015
Is it only me feeling Yoshiko's voice a bit wrong and not synchronized with the animation? Really annoys me..

Overall really happy for this episode, maybe I've just been overhyped for months for this day to come
Jul 3, 2016 1:10 AM

May 2014
Moe overload
Wow man
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Jul 3, 2016 1:47 AM

Jul 2015
I liked this episode, it was very funny, cute and nostalgic. I like the fact that it has a similar style to the original series, but without being a carbon copy of it. I loved all the references to μ's like the posters, cellphone images and the fact that Riko is a transfer student from Otonokizaka High School. Up to this point my favourite character by far is Yoshiko (I just love her), followed by Riko (who remembers me of Maki who is my favourite character of the franchise), Ruby (Love her hair) and Kanan. I can't wait for the next episode :)
Jul 3, 2016 1:56 AM

Aug 2014
Chuuni girl/soon-to-be-idol was amazing, and I can't believe I got slightly emotional when "Start:Dash!!" started playing ;~; what the fuck is happening to me
Jul 3, 2016 1:58 AM

Jun 2011
The first thing I noticed watching this episode is that they've greatly improved their use of CGI, much more fluid, I like it. Ahahaha... I'm starting to like Chika more than I like Honoka. Ruby seemed a bit too over-exaggerated, most incredibly shy people wouldn't even have the guts to talk to someone they just met in the first place. Riko is really cute, and she seems a lot like Maki, but much more kind and sincere, she is one of my favorites. I'm loving Yohane's voice, and her actions remind me a bit of Yurika from Aikatsu. You is like that one best friend that will do anything for you. Hanamaru is so cute, and seems very enthusiastic. Dia really seems to be a more aggressive rendition of Eli. Mari and Kanan, unfortunately didn't get too much screen time, so I can't really formulate an opinion for these two.
Jul 3, 2016 2:01 AM
Jun 2016
Omg the ranking turns from #200 to #500 -_- i think they off a good start
Jul 3, 2016 2:07 AM

Sep 2009
Yoshiko this funny
l wait OP ED

so cute girls :)
Jul 3, 2016 2:25 AM
Jul 2018
Ooooh it's here and it was fantastic! Loved it so much! Yoshiko and Ruby instant favourites.

Sure it had two problems:
1) Student council president attitude being exactly like Elichika was in first season
2) Chika is exactly like Honks at this point.

You are also now aware it has been five years since START:DASH first played. I was genuinely moved and got goosebumps when it played here. I really hope we get to see µ's in some form in this season. Even if just unvoiced cameos.
Jul 3, 2016 2:32 AM

Jun 2013
It's bizarre, too bizarre. I ended up loving the first episode and hating it, but only because I still can't get over the fact that the original Love Live is over. I kept saying that I wasn't ready but I still enjoyed the heck out of this. I really love the beach setting/ countryside stuffs. The characters are interesting so far I guess and I really hope they grow on me but I don't think I will ever love another Love Live as much as I loved the original.

I like Riko, so far best girl. I don't really like any of the character designs in particular in this one but Chika is especially ugly to me for some reason.

Damn I can't believe that this started already, it feels so sudden. Also I'm super bitter about missing their live thing yesterday in person. FUCK
Jul 3, 2016 2:50 AM

Jan 2014
I was initially worried that the main characters would just be μ's with different hair colours, but as this episode went on those fears seem to have been dispelled. We got some strong songs; I'm sure the OP will grow on me within a few episodes. :P

Dia is a wonderfully abrasive character, yay for more alt girls in anime!

Riko Sakurauchi was best girl in the buildup, and I'm glad to say that hasn't changed when it comes to the show proper. She has a strong voice and interesting personality.

Lastly, and I have to ask this - did anyone else get chills hearing that exercept from Start Dash? Our girls are inspiring people :')
Jul 3, 2016 5:53 AM

Feb 2014
I want to know the time skip from the first series to Love Live! Sunshine!! as I find it weird that someone who transferred from Otonokizaka high school never heard of school idols or even recognized µ's.

The feels when I heard START;DASH again and showed µ's even for a couple of seconds.

Yohane is interesting and funny, a much better version of Ranko (im@s CG). And Riko is my best girl.
Jul 3, 2016 6:09 AM

Jun 2013
well it's been a while i liked the other group better
Jul 3, 2016 6:13 AM

Sep 2014
I loved it so much! I didn't even expected it will be so good and the song in the end was awesome, I want a full version so badly, but it'll be released only at 3rd August, damn it! ><
Pop3vilJul 4, 2016 2:37 AM
Jul 3, 2016 7:39 AM

Jul 2009
i'm so impressed by how much they've improved the CGI and animation in general! As for the characters.. I will reserve judgement for now :> kinda disappointing to have the same kind of plotline where the student council president rejects the club, but let's wait and see how it goes.

excited to meet Mari!!!
Jul 3, 2016 8:10 AM

Jun 2012
Im hooked, relly liked fisrt epidoe, characters are cute and fun especially Ruby and Yoshiko
Jul 3, 2016 8:49 AM

May 2008
NICE. This was everything I was hoping it to be and more. What a good first episode...

I'm still pretty meh on about half of Aqours (Chika is pretty annoying but I get why she's the protagonist) but I'm sure they'll grow on me. In the end there were a couple of μ's girls I just didn't care about but I absolutely love them as a group.

Dia is by far the best girl. She was my initial fave and I'm so glad she's equally great in animated form. Also holy fuck, her voice. It's as wonderful as she is.

Really looking forward to seeing how this develops. And to those who haven't seen the original LL!, please watch it. You're doing yourselves a massive favour. It's a really, really good series ;A;.
Jul 3, 2016 9:19 AM
Sep 2009
So far it's too much like a rip off of an original...

MC is a second year air head. Check
A Blonde Foreigner. Check
Problems starting a club. Check
President against the club. Check
MC inspired by another idol group. Check
Shy girl wanting to be an idol. Check

I just could not help but think how original handled it all so much better...

Unless this series does something differently, I don't think I'll be able to enjoy it as much as I want to.

Nostalgia and hope to see original cast is what will keep me watching it for now. Hopefully series will have more to offer. For now it's just 6 on my part. Just Fine.

And if you are watching this, without seeing original LL! series, you are a criminal.
Jul 3, 2016 9:31 AM

Apr 2016
Well done for the great job, Sunrise.
The 1st episode seems good, nice OP & ED thou
My expression when START;DASH started played, but remembered that Muse has disband:

Jul 3, 2016 3:20 PM

Aug 2013
I'm not disappointed. I liked original series and this one seems to be enjoyable too.
They imported 3DCG on performances for sure. It still looks bad, but now my eyes are not bleeding at least. Background art is so beautiful. They have a huge budget for this series for sure.

Soundtrack is pretty the same like in original series, I don't like it (I'm talking about background music).
rsc-plJul 3, 2016 3:28 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 3, 2016 3:34 PM
Feb 2010
Halvanhelev10 said:
Well done for the great job, Sunrise.
The 1st episode seems good, nice OP & ED thou
My expression when START;DASH started played, but remembered that Muse has disband:

They didn't exactly disband, they just stopped recording and won't hold solo acts anymore, but they might take part in Animelo for example or support Aquors.
Jul 3, 2016 4:01 PM
Jan 2016
Time skip is 6 months.. chika saw µ's performing on the screen and it stated LL 2nd winner with arise being the 1st.

LL competition is every 6 months and the story of µ's happened within a year.

Now.. if their will be a 3rd winner.. then it will be shown on the screen instead of µ's and Chika said µ's performed at the Dome.. something that happened during LL movie.. the BokuHikari moment.
Jul 3, 2016 4:32 PM
Feb 2010
jayvee2016 said:
Time skip is 6 months.. chika saw µ's performing on the screen and it stated LL 2nd winner with arise being the 1st.

LL competition is every 6 months and the story of µ's happened within a year.

Now.. if their will be a 3rd winner.. then it will be shown on the screen instead of µ's and Chika said µ's performed at the Dome.. something that happened during LL movie.. the BokuHikari moment.

The time skip can't be half a year. Sunshine starts with new school year, which is April, graduation is 31 March, so time skip is either 2 weeks (from the movie) or a year, what would make Chika, Riko and You same age as Arisa and Yukiho.

A year seems very unlikely though, as Chika got into School Idols by seeing µ's in what seems to be Akiba, sometime between 2nd and 3rd Love Live, unless what she'd seen was list of N previous winners, there's virtually no time skip involved. Meaning Riko was in the class with Maki-roll, Rinyan and Kayocchin.

I feel drama ;3
HuggykazeJul 3, 2016 4:37 PM
Jul 3, 2016 5:53 PM

Nov 2012
I came to this expecting little and getting a lot of enjoyment from this anime. I'm looking forward to Sunshine.
Jul 3, 2016 6:05 PM

Dec 2012
Looking forward to this lol. Really enjoyed all the µ's references. xD
Not sure who my favorite is out of them yet. I decided pretty quick the last time. xP
Jul 3, 2016 6:09 PM
May 2016
It was enjoyable but wayyyy too similar to the original
Jul 3, 2016 6:11 PM

Aug 2012
Thoughts on the episode in chronological order:
-Already there seems to be a contrast between Chika and Honoka's motivations for getting involved in idol stuff
-Is it me or did the opening scene dance sequence look a lot more natural than the μ's ones
-Huh, they're starting with only two people this time around, which means more recruitment arcs. Those were my favorite part of the original series' season 1.
-Lotta yelling going on at the scene in Chika's house but I think I'm going to like the rural setting better than the urban one of the first series. The energy's still there though.
-Yohane and Hanamura (my 2 favorite singing voices of the new group) already debut before 7 minutes into this episode, which is great.
-Holy shit Yoshiko's talking voice sounds extremely different from her Yohane singing voice.
-Kanan's voice sounds a lot more mellow, lower in pitch, and more pleasing to listen to than her singing voice. She was my least favorite singer of my favorite new subunit but she actually seems pretty cool as a character. Kinda like Nozomi from μ's.
-The scene with Riko and Chika on the beach was pretty well done, and Chika's speech about why she's obsessed with school idols felt a lot more heartfelt than what Honoka was doing in the first episode of the original series. Although I guess the impact would have been lost without the original series.
-What are Alisa and Yukiho doing if Riko hasn't even heard about school idols and went to the same school as them? Come to think of it, how long is the gap between the first series and Sunshine?
-Just like the first episode of the first series, all members of Aqours make an appearance in this episode.

Promising start. I actually liked the prominence of μ's in this episode since it makes it seem like what the original girls did in the movie actually did have some importance. Also the scenery looked pretty.
Jul 3, 2016 7:13 PM

Oct 2013
This episode felt a little cliche lol, though I can't say it's any cornier than it's predecessor. It also felt way to busy. I wish they took their time introducing the different girls sooner. Some of the dialouge between Riko and Chika at the beach was a little awkward, but it did make me feel that Chika is a lot more likeable/understandable than Honoka. I never much cared for Honoka, and I like that Chika is trying to give her all on this idea. Her motivations for starting an idol group are more secure than Honoka's and her characterization felt so much more natural. You and Chika seem to also have a more natural/relaxed friendship.

The music is ok so far, I do like it. I noticed the 3d model sequences fit pretty well with the 2d animation which is nice. I liked the tie in with muse, especially seeing them preform a bit of start dash! on that big screen. I wonder if they will make a cameo in this?

All in all I like what I see, I hope this series turns out to be all that i can be.
I couldn't think of anything cool to put here.
Jul 3, 2016 7:31 PM
Aug 2010
Morimasa said:
Zura Janai, Katsura Da!

That's my only thought when Hanamaru talks.
Jul 3, 2016 10:26 PM
Jun 2016
VERY SATISFYING(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

YET PROMISING
〜(^∇^〜)(〜^∇^)〜
Jul 3, 2016 10:39 PM

Dec 2011
Love Live Sunshine is here. >.<
The animation is really good...

And so far, I actually like Chika for now in comparison to Honoka, she is definitely less annoying compared to her. You-chan is a hybrid of Hanayo's body build with Kotori's hair and that selfie face. Still wonder why Riko doesn't know Love Live when the winners came from Otonokizaka, hope they expand on that soon.

I really can't wait to see how will they form together... and I need to see cameos of the characters from LL, not just the u's (muse) but even having the little sisters of them battle the cast of Sunshine.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2016 12:07 AM

Mar 2012
Look, there's TECHNICALLY nothing wrong with jumping into Sunshine before you've seen the other series. Unlike the original series where each entry in the franchise was a sequel to the last one telling one continuous story (I saw some people going into the movie blind which is a TERRIBLE idea) this is mostly separate from the original series. Well, for now at least. But I still don't recommend it.

Like I said before, this is basically what Better Call Saul is to Breaking Bad. Sure you won't be completely lost if you watch Sunshine on its own but you'll probably appreciate it a hell of a lot more if you watch the first series.

Plus we don't know how the show is going to play out so if they start dropping references to the first series you're gonna be completely lost.
Jul 4, 2016 12:17 AM
Dec 2010

Apparently there's a theory going around that UTX has closed down or at least moved from their old location......... would be kind of hilarious and ironic if they had closed down because of ARISE losing Love Live........
scytheavatarJul 6, 2016 8:37 AM
Jul 4, 2016 4:10 AM

Aug 2014
Love Live.... Is BACK!!! -- No wait. Who are these characters?

In all seriousness tho, here we are back to starting point where MC will have to recruit members first. This one looks harder to recruit, but I hope it didn't take like, more than half of the season.
Overall nice start. Can't say much on characters yet, but You is definitely my fav character so far. What a good friend went as far as joining a 2nd club to help her friend. Also, silver hair and blue eyes combinations are instant kill for me
I can't help but think that Ruby and Yohane have really weird voices. We'll see when they properly introduced later..

Dat Start Dash song cameo tho... Makes me wish original Love Live get a third season.. T-T
Jul 4, 2016 4:20 AM

Jul 2015
FINALLY ASDLAKSJDLKASDFSDF

Ahhhh, Yoshiko Yohane! <33333
She has a really good balance with her head lol

I love the OP!

Wait, this is too much bias!

Dactir said:
Guys, is it worth to see if I have not seen the other parts ?

You mean, you haven't seen the first love live?
Please go, watch, love and live with us <3

Srsly though, as for story progression, you 'might' not miss a lot since this is like a different group in the same world just a few years after. Just be prepared to go ???? when Chika, who looks to be a huge fan of muse, starts to go referencing a lot about them!
ronpdeeJul 4, 2016 4:31 AM

Jul 4, 2016 4:59 AM

Nov 2015
Fun episode, Chika is cute and I hope she makes her club soon.

Jul 4, 2016 5:35 AM
Mar 2016
this is literally love live with another character, and a bit of a twist. i mean, the student council is so against it but we all know from the poster that she's going to join the group soon 😂 also, they started off with a very little number of members. this is literally watching the same growth of a new series, a few years after the original succeeded xD
Jul 4, 2016 7:00 AM

Nov 2010
Well, it was good, i hope they keep it up.
kinda feel relief. good to have it like this, i was afraid they might fail.
Jul 4, 2016 9:31 AM

Feb 2013
Good so far, although almost too similar to the original.......like.......practically the same thing. But if it starts to form it's own plot, I'll like it better, if not? Well....it's just the same show with different characters.
Jul 4, 2016 11:40 AM
Dec 2012
This is one great starting episode, it is actually quite different from the first episode of the original love live series. I have high expectation of this show, give me some great surprise I'm waiting for it. Also, that START:DASH!~
Jul 4, 2016 12:01 PM

Jan 2015
Itachi_0893 said:
Morimasa said:
Zura Janai, Katsura Da!

That's my only thought when Hanamaru talks.

When I heard Zura I thought of Youkai Watch's Koma-san.

moonismineJul 4, 2016 12:05 PM
Jul 4, 2016 2:45 PM

Jan 2015
I really enjoyed this first episode!

The girls are funny and cute af, and I'm surprised that I like all of their personalities.

The only things about this episode that were kinda weird for me, though, was Chika's long ass monologue and how they tried fitting in appearances for all of the characters, but other than those, this series is off to a pretty good start.

I'm looking forward to the rest of it!
become meguca?
Jul 4, 2016 4:20 PM

Sep 2012
It's an okay start. This is coming from a guy that's not a hardcore idol show fanboy like most of this thread, lmao.

I question the main girl chasing the one single flyer that got away, but hey, that got her into idols...soooo I guess that works.
Main girl isn't as likable as Honoka, even though I assume she's supposed to be her copy. Maybe it's just because she's screaming too much... Or maybe it's just her hairstyle, aha.
Rest of the girls have some cute designs and whatnot.
Friends are there to lend a hand when you can’t do something on your own. It’s not one person doing all the work protecting everyone, we help each other when in need. That’s what friends are for.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Top 5 Favorite Love Live Sunshine Girls

TomCena1114 - Mar 29, 2023

25 by Erikor »»
May 1, 6:32 AM

Poll: » Love Live! Sunshine!! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 27, 2016

142 by nanuha »»
Apr 13, 7:26 AM

Poll: » Love Live! Sunshine!! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2016

164 by JoJoLaRow »»
Mar 10, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Favorite Aquors member ( 1 2 )

ya_hallo - Sep 10, 2016

70 by LemonXChio »»
Nov 7, 2023 5:58 AM

Poll: » Love Live! Sunshine!! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2016

101 by laaala »»
May 9, 2023 1:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.