Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Durarara!! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 15, 2010 8:18 PM

Apr 2008
arh ... wasnt that exciting but also fine

Jan 15, 2010 8:39 PM
Dec 2009
This is awesome. So unique and strangely entertaining. Some really nice touches do a good job foreshadowing something darker in the future, and it works because they magically make us care about the characters...whose designs are great btw. The whole thing is pretty awesome, even the music...and I have no idea why, but I love the ending theme.
Jan 15, 2010 8:53 PM

Jun 2009
It was okay, still entertained me, even though in many scenes I felt a bit too reminded of works like Lain or Boogiepop (only not as dark).
The setting worked out as interesting in the first episode for me, but it already started loosing it's freshness during this episode, somehow I would like them to actually introduce a plot soon and not only show us everyday people (plus some strange powers) walking through everyday Ikebukuro.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Jan 15, 2010 9:03 PM

Feb 2009
Wow this show gets more mysterious with more crazy people. And I love it that way. :)
Jan 15, 2010 9:57 PM

Apr 2009
Absolutely fantastic. Seems almost like a less pessimistic, less confusing Boogiepop Phantom.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Jan 15, 2010 11:19 PM

Dec 2009
I love the feel of this show so far. Keep it up!
Jan 16, 2010 12:38 AM
Jul 2009
This anime has/creates great atmosphere. It's cryptic and slow but it's okay. I can forgive that since the quality seems top notch and there's 24 episodes. I would be disappointed at this episode though if there were only 12 episodes. Only time will tell how well they will use their time.
Jan 16, 2010 4:37 AM

Nov 2008
Holy shit, I haven't been this thrilled by an anime since Baccano!. It'd take a colossal screw-up for this not to become one of my favourites.
I haven't seen a character as awesome as Izaya in ages either.
Jan 16, 2010 4:59 AM

Jul 2009
Mammoth said:
Holy shit, I haven't been this thrilled by an anime since Baccano!. It'd take a colossal screw-up for this not to become one of my favourites.
I haven't seen a character as awesome as Izaya in ages either.

Ah yes this show is indeed awesome!
But I heard that 4chan start labeling this anime as"BL-anime"...what the hell!!
That's why I hate to go on that site since 90% of the commenter's are total moron..
Jan 16, 2010 5:05 AM

Oct 2008
wow! amazing episode *.* i loved it :D
ahh Izaya <3

Jan 16, 2010 5:41 AM

May 2009
Kagura89 said:
But I heard that 4chan start labeling this anime as"BL-anime"...what the hell!!That's why I hate to go on that site since 90% of the commenter's are total moron..
Haha, yeah. All the Durarara!! threads on /a/ are full of comments like "Yaoi shit" etc. They're just trolling, I'm sure most of them are enjoying the anime. xD
Jan 16, 2010 6:37 AM
Oct 2009
lol people actually go to 4chan? :p

Jan 16, 2010 6:41 AM

Jan 2009
Well obviously there are people going there ( ◔ ◡◔)
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jan 16, 2010 6:57 AM

Mar 2009
I liked that it was dark.

Jan 16, 2010 7:14 AM

Oct 2009
^Naboooooooooooooooooooooooolio!

re: 4chan -- it isn't just the same 3 people all posting anonymously over and over again? ;) lol.
Jan 16, 2010 7:17 AM

Jan 2009
There are 4 people that I know of, there's me, Kagura89, stAtic91, and then there's Anon : D
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jan 16, 2010 9:39 AM

Oct 2009
JuicyBuddha said:
I strongly disagree, the character development actually would have made her death meaningful, as it would have shown that deceitful, emo idiots get what's coming to them instead of "life's not as cruel as it seems" or some shit. I was hoping for something darker, that's all. The show still looks better than everything else lined up for this season and I'll definitely keep watching.

Eh. If you're referring to Rio in the "deceitful, emo idiots" comment, I would like to point out that dealing with your father having an affair isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world to do, so it's understandable that she was upset. However, it's not worth killing yourself over and I think she realized that--- her killing herself to prove a point to Izaya would have been "dark," but totally stupid.

Dark doesn't always equal good. Just look at the majority of Tim Burton's movies for proof.
Jan 16, 2010 10:17 AM

Jul 2008
dam what an interesting 2nd episode
XD
cant wait for the next one XD
Jan 16, 2010 10:36 AM

Jan 2010
I love it so far, obviously the best anime this season. There's one thing that it's missing though, that Baccano! had.....NEEDS MOAR ISAAC AND MIRIA!
Jan 16, 2010 10:37 AM

Mar 2009
This anime is so perfect. ^.^
Jan 16, 2010 10:46 AM

Aug 2009
it was interesting but kinda boring at the same time to me. too bad the main girl character ain't hot.
Jan 16, 2010 11:44 AM

Jul 2007
Melody said:

Most of the time in the rooftop scene I was trying to understand if I think Izaya's a total jerk or not. I haven't decided yet but I think that it a really wicked way he's not too bad since he actually showed that girl a lot and gave her something to think about, he just didn't care to stop her after that. (Than again, subs will show).

I'm still wondering why this girl, Rio, isn't shown in the opening or ending. I don't want her to die and I don't think it'll be it, but she might become rider's head (since it's clearly hinted in the last seconds of the opening), but I don't want that either...

I don't think she is that important of a character anyway, although I'd like it ro be otherwise. But putting the manga apart, even though it helps on my theory to what happened to Celty's head, the easiest thing to notice is the weird girl that bumps into the MC in the first episode who has a head that doesn't belong to her and the fact her name doesn't show up in the OP. I think that alone is meaningful. The manga helps the theory but since this is anime discussion I'll prevent myself from saying anything further. So, I highly doubt it Rio will become her head.
Anyway, the fact is she literally kicks butts.
Jan 16, 2010 12:06 PM
Dec 2007
Atmosphere, writing and animation are all top-notch and the scenario seems much cleaner than that of Baccano!, I think we have a winner here. Too bad the ED is shitty as Hell though.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jan 16, 2010 2:09 PM

Jul 2008
I'm really liking this show. It's very different.

BEGINNER
Jan 16, 2010 2:29 PM

Sep 2008
haha head-less rider was a good guy after all, even if he speacks with a cell phone....XD
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Jan 16, 2010 4:37 PM

Apr 2008
Three clips of Mikado/Anri in the episode preview. They're going to ruin that somehow I KNOW IT *sadface*

It's a shame about the ED song, because the actual ED animation video's pretty neat. OP song AND video are still good!
Jan 16, 2010 4:40 PM

Feb 2008
Zero_r2 said:
haha head-less rider was a good guy after all, even if he speacks with a cell phone....XD

looks like a she to me. i dont think there is any guy with hips like that. even with surgery.

its too early to really draw any real conclusions.
Jan 16, 2010 4:56 PM

Aug 2009
kisami said:

looks like a she to me. i dont think there is any guy with hips like that.

Or a chest like that.
Jan 16, 2010 5:24 PM

Oct 2009
Best show of the winter season by far
Jan 16, 2010 5:33 PM

Oct 2009
I'm gar for Izaya
Jan 16, 2010 5:59 PM

Aug 2009
whats wrong with the ED song? Is it because its too popish?
Jan 16, 2010 6:05 PM
Apr 2009
I'm liking the anime so far.
& I'm sort of partial to the ED song.
I like it more than the OP.
But that's just me. c ;
Jan 16, 2010 8:26 PM

Dec 2008
Great episode, IMO. The first episode didn't exactly blow me away, but this episode just did an amazing job. I agree that there was no real plot development, but I think these kinds of episodes are necessary for a series with such a huge cast of characters - they need to be introduced slowly, a few at a time and with some idea of what they're all about, in order to get a good grasp of how everything connects. I mean, looking at the first episode, when Kida introduces all his friends and acquaintances as he walks Mikado through the streets, I can barely remember any of them and zero actual names.

JuicyBuddha said:
stAtic91 said:
JuicyBuddha said:
It would have been better if they'd let the girl die, the "oh life is good you should live!" crap was lame.
I don't think so. Then pretty much all of the character development this episode would've been pointless. And we got to see some of the bike rider's cool powers wich added to the mystery.

I strongly disagree, the character development actually would have made her death meaningful, as it would have shown that deceitful, emo idiots get what's coming to them instead of "life's not as cruel as it seems" or some shit. I was hoping for something darker, that's all. The show still looks better than everything else lined up for this season and I'll definitely keep watching.

The way I see it, it was actually better character development to have her live. From what I understood, the message of the episode surrounded "reality" - as in, each of our own different realities. Rio had a very jaded view on life and so, to her, reality was that the world was a horrible place not worth living in. But, when she was tricked by Izaya, her reality was flipped around and upside-down, leaving her completely dumbfounded and essentially disoriented. Then, when she was saved by the Rider, her "reality" changed to one that was far more positive and made her realize that the world can be a good place...but only if she's willing to see it that way.
Jan 16, 2010 8:48 PM

Apr 2007
so good.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Jan 16, 2010 10:26 PM
Dec 2008
it was an alright episode
Jan 16, 2010 10:33 PM
May 2008
Speculation:

Jan 16, 2010 11:49 PM

Mar 2008
Yeah I do kinda get the Baccano Vibe but it's still early . BTW ep. 2 was awesome!!
@PrinceJuicifer@ \(~.~)/
Jan 16, 2010 11:50 PM

Jan 2009
BitchMaster said:
Proselyt said:
The headless Rider seems like a good guy by her actions, but there seems to be a dark side to her as well...

In one simple word, anti-hero?

seems like it.

great episode so far, some recaps + izaya appearance makes this animu more interesting, i'm hoping for a good EP3 then.
Jan 17, 2010 12:07 AM

Aug 2008
Pure enjoyment! Looks like the headless rider has a sponsor, too. I have a feeling we've still got plenty more introductions to come, too. It's a large cast and I'm sure everyone has a story.

DKJ
Jan 17, 2010 1:25 AM

Aug 2009
Awesome show.
Jan 17, 2010 2:24 AM
Jul 2008
This is awesome.
Jan 17, 2010 9:43 AM

Jan 2010
Clearly a winner for me

Jan 17, 2010 10:08 AM

Jul 2009
I love this anime. <3

I don't know what it is, but something just makes me love it despite it only being on the second episode. I really love the art style, and the characters too, and the story is interesting, it really draws you in. Can't wait to see more of Izaya and Shizou~! <3
Jan 17, 2010 11:30 AM

Sep 2009
kerobear said:
WOW this anime is daBOMB
In the forums many people are repeating the anime Baccano? Maybe i should try that out too!

You should. It's done by the same writer. It's an incredible anime. Also try the Dub. It's one of those few dubs that works REAAAALLY well
Jan 17, 2010 1:36 PM

Mar 2009
this is GOOD!
Jan 17, 2010 2:55 PM

Aug 2009
wizkid2029 said:
kerobear said:
WOW this anime is daBOMB
In the forums many people are repeating the anime Baccano? Maybe i should try that out too!

You should. It's done by the same writer. It's an incredible anime. Also try the Dub. It's one of those few dubs that works REAAAALLY well

Yeah, I agree. If you're gonna watch Baccano, go for the dub.
Jan 17, 2010 4:15 PM

Oct 2009
Oh dear 8 pages and farming made me so late on this one. Anri Sonohara looks to be an interesting girl with a nice size of breasts
. Now Seiji Yagiri is interesting too
and has to have some attitude to say to the whole class about not having any time for them
but I am puzzled as to why would Anri care for him? Rio Kamichika sure is a sad girl. The whole affair crap stinks so much it makes the death into the most innocent ones of all, the child itself of the family to the point that Rio Kamichika wanted to commit suicide and that makes Angry and frustrated!
I lost a friend because of that! I spit on you "Affair" I can't even believe the mother despite getting the letter rather ignored the whole thing then to deal with the scum husband. Pretty nice how they revealed more of the Celty saving Rio from the kidnapping
and there Celty using a Blackberry type of phone to text her talking. Izaya sure is interesting in his life philosophy towards Rio
...I liked how he proceeds with it. The best is obviously when Celty saves Rio from her suicide (it also reveal that Celty can use shadow powers) and tell her this
Also could Anri/Rio know about each other's problems? This guys must be crazy to lift a soda vending machine up and throw it that high!=>
Overall it was a nice episode to see from another point of view how things were.
Proselyt said:
The headless Rider seems like a good guy by her actions, but there seems to be a dark side to her as well...
What would her dark side be?
Wasabi said:
What an episode. An interesting way to introduce some of the characters and especially the sick and twisted perversions of Izaya. So apparently the biker chick isn't some great solo heroine but actually has accomplices as well. I do wonder why she is working with Izaya though.
I don't think she is working with Izaya, she is just taking requests from him...don't she will take all of them. Izaya's philosophy is sick, twisted and perverted? I am surprised at you taking it like that.
argilium said:
wow.. this episode is so brilliant.. all the philosophical talks on human life being shoved to that girl as she stays there dumbfounded and the quote "The world is not as cruel as you take it to be." made my day..
Rio sure need to have her view changed and Izaya did that along with Celty saving her. Let's hope she does not try anything stupid again like that.
argilium said:
and i just love the style of telling a different side of the story without advancing the time line.. so yeah.. just like Baccano! (this phrase is starting to get old, of course it's just like B!, same author, same studio)..
I don't know the Baccano stuff but I do like the different style of telling the story.
Melody said:
Hm... I watched it with the subs...
How high you consider the odds that Izaya called Rider to tell her not to do more than asked from her deliberately for her to do the opposite?)
Since he obviously knew the girl is going to jump so I think it as highly possible that he knew she gonna be saved by the Rider too)))
I hear you on that one! I think it was the point and Celty understood it also. Well it sure worked well to make her change her mind about her life.
francismeunierJan 17, 2010 4:27 PM

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Jan 17, 2010 4:56 PM

Mar 2008
I'm so happy this show makes up for the lack of good shows this season.

I'm in love with this series <3
Jan 17, 2010 11:03 PM

Apr 2009
This can fill that empty spot that the end of Baccano! left me. Excellent.

Oh, and in response to someone comparing Izaya to Vino, I think that Vendingmachine-kun can be the Durarara!! equivalent of Ladd.
Jan 17, 2010 11:14 PM
Nov 2008
Haylias said:
This can fill that empty spot that the end of Baccano! left me. Excellent.

Oh, and in response to someone comparing Izaya to Vino, I think that Vendingmachine-kun can be the Durarara!! equivalent of Ladd.

Following this thought process the Holo pair is Isaac+Miria:D. Really. I need some Isaac+Miria! Half the reason Baccano was SO good was them.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

goldslaught - Jun 24, 2010

598 by dspr »»
May 4, 9:32 AM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kanade-chan - Jun 10, 2010

335 by Supremestrawhat »»
May 4, 12:47 AM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kirika- - May 27, 2010

206 by Supremestrawhat »»
May 4, 12:01 AM

» Seeking advice on watching order

Haemogoblin - Apr 28

4 by Haemogoblin »»
May 3, 11:46 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

shanimebib - May 20, 2010

212 by Supremestrawhat »»
May 3, 11:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.