Forum Settings
Forums

[OFF-TOPIC] WBA's anime & manga recommendations

New
May 19, 2016 3:45 AM

Mar 2014
Hello fellow boxing fans,

due to the recent inactivity, irregular releases of Ippo chapters and fact that we as a united fanbase of (mainly) Hajime no Ippo share a somewhat similar anime/manga taste, I decided to create a recommendation thread.
The recommendation doesn't have to be related to boxing, it can be anything you hold dear.

Feel free to post a recommendation or discuss former ones or provide further info. There are a few rules though to keep the post clean from chaos:

-Please don't simply list some titles without any further details. Give some convincing reasons and interesting facts about your favorite!
-State right at the beginning if your recommendation is an anime or a manga.
-DON'T SPOIL! Please use the spoiler button if your post contains spoilers!
-The recommended title must be spelled correctly! Alternatively you can post the MAL link.

Have fun!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 28, 2016 7:07 AM

Apr 2015
There was some topic like this, but somehow it got lost in this forum so it's not bad idea to do this again. I'll try to recommend lesser known series that not everyone knows:

Major (ANIME)- great sport anime, not as great as Ippo, but still really high level, amazing anime about baseball with beautifull long story and a lot of drama. Realistic anime with great shown hardness of sport.

Uchuu Kyoudai/Space Brothers (ANIME)- great anime about two brothers who wants to be astronauts. This anime is full realistic and perfectly shows making dreams comes true. This one is also really motivating, I often listen to OST of this anime while learing becouse it really motivates me.

Koe no Katachi (MANGA)- amazing deep manga with a lot of drama and slice of life, it's just beautifull story about bullying in school, lack of understanding, regreting past and repairing faults. It's just 64 chapters manga, but can impact on you and change your world perception.

Kingdom (MANGA)- what a great war manga it is, I'm just surprised why this manga isn't hyped. Probably it's becouse of bad anime, but trust me manga is outstanding. It's almost on Berserk level. It's really bloody story with really a lot of characters and great MC with great character development. One of the best manga I've read.

NANA (ANIME)- many people refuses to watch it due to strange art or something. What a big mistake it is, becouse it's romance and drama on completely another level. There's no single one romance that is half this great as NANA. Really unpredictable and sad story with amazing character development. Simply the best romance ever.
May 29, 2016 1:34 AM

Dec 2015
I recommend:

jojo's bizarre adventure(Anime) for all of you who havent watched it.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin (Anime) Just watch it if you havent it should be a crime not to watch this series.

The Berserk Movies. (Anime Movie) Great canon story of the life of Guts. (I do recommend The English dub with this one tho.)

Charlotte (Anime) Great Anime. Great Characters. And very Original!

Sorry that it isnt very organized. My keyboard is kind of broken. (It was a pain to just write those 5 lines down...)
But dont worry Im building a amazing pc together and I really do hope it arrives soon.
May 30, 2016 8:38 AM

Mar 2014
I recommend every single 10/10 I gave but I will limit it to possible anime/manga your average Ippo fan might enjoy:

Anime
One Piece - great "endless" adventure with a coherent story and steady plot progression. Great fights.
Kyou kara ore wa - If you like Aokimura then you'll love those two badass yet funny delinquents. The comedy is gold and fights are great.
Shounan Junai Gumi - the prequel of GTO, very similar to "Kyou kara ore wa"
Grappler Baki (OVA) - a great tournament fight with great old school animation. The TV series has pretty poor animation but is pretty fun. The second season covers a whole tournament arc.
Ashita no Joe (2) - The second season of Ashita no Joe is flawless in my opinion and those who don't like old animation can read the manga and watch this season. It's the imspiration for the mangaka of Ippo.
One Outs - sports anime, the focus is mostly on psychology and the greatness of the main character and his superiority.
Hunter x Hunter 2011 - great animation, strategic fights and great story-telling.
Stranger: Mukou Hadan (movie) - a straight forward, fluent and great movie with exceptional animation and fights. Incredible.
Osu!! Karate Bu (OVA) - I get Ippo season 1 feelings from this one. Really cool show, unfortunately only four episodes and the manga isnt translated completely.

Manga
20th Century Boys - from the creator of Monster this is a great action-packed psychological seinen mystery manga which one of the best story tellings out there.
Kiseijuu - How would the world be if mankind wasn't the superior race? This manga answers this question in a great fashion. There is also an anime adaption of it.
Holyland - a masterpiece kickboxing/street fighting manga about the struggle of a bullied guy who is learning martial arts via his books. 11/10 manga
Tenkamusou: Edajima Heihachi Den - the backstory of the principle of the anime/manga "Sakigake Otokojuku" who is an infamous invincible fighter. This is about his story from when he was born to the World War II times. Fun and badass manga.
Sun-Ken Rock - one of the best art in manga, great mafia fighting manga with funny Ecchi elements. Realistic women.
Toriko - badass manly manga about muscular men with superpowers hunting the most delicious and nutritious food fighting epic guys. The anime has cut off the blood and ended the anime with an filler ending so I recommend the manga.

I also approve of following titles mentioned above and also recommend them:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (TV, Stardust Crusaders & Diamond is Unbreakable and well as the manga)
Rainbow
Major
May 30, 2016 9:28 AM

Jun 2012
Id recommend

Manga
RRR - A really cool boxing manga not as good as Ippo but well worth the read. Its a seinen, shounen-like, drama boxing manga with a great story and some well drawn art. The manga also shows how boxing isnt just about the Physical training but also the mental training.
Not to mention the MC has a really cool Afro
Jun 9, 2016 9:19 AM
Jul 2018
Slam Dunk is similar to Hajime no Ippo in the fact that both series feature a main character who is new to the sport and their rise in skills as the series progress. Both series also have hilarious comedy but can also get very serious in fights/games. Overall I'd say it's pretty much guaranteed that if you like one, you'll like the other.
Jul 5, 2016 1:20 AM

Mar 2014
Shamo Dark martial arts manga which displays the brutal dark side of reality and shows what desperate measures you have to take in order to keep on going. The MC is basically the complete opposite of Ippo (the epicness remains the same though)
Finished it last week so this manga deserved a recommendation. The art is great
May 25, 2023 1:46 AM
May 2023
www.buycertificationonline.com
buy registered GOETHE,PMP,IELTS,PTE,CELPIP,NCLEX,CIPT Certificate online without exams 
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Least Favourite Character?

-Ulysses - Dec 28, 2015

17 by dcrwtb »»
Jan 2, 12:22 AM

Sticky: » [SPOILER] Discussion: Latest Ippo chapter + future expectations

-Anokata - Jan 20, 2016

35 by removed-user »»
Dec 31, 2017 12:29 AM

Sticky: » Introduce yourself!

-Anokata - Jan 2, 2016

7 by Raging_Berserker »»
Sep 15, 2016 5:31 AM

Poll: » WBA also Ashita no joe?

-Ulysses - Apr 5, 2016

1 by -Anokata »»
Apr 11, 2016 3:57 PM

» WBA Champ {SPOILERS}

-Ulysses - Mar 15, 2016

5 by TheBlender »»
Mar 21, 2016 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.