Forum Settings
Forums
The Asterisk War (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 4, 2016 4:19 PM

Mar 2016
I saw somewhere that the LN was lincensed by Yen-Press (Aaaaarrrghhh!!!) and maybe its only a matter of time before the Translator has to delete the translated LN, i didnt watched the anime but i saw the scores but i dont know if the LN is any better, it doesnt have to be perfect, just enjoyable.

Apr 4, 2016 4:39 PM

Mar 2012
It's just average to me and nothing stand out. I've read up to 4 and half volume.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 4, 2016 5:21 PM

Jan 2015
I enjoy it, it's nothing special but the fights are fun to read. Plus Sylvia is a fun female character.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Apr 4, 2016 7:51 PM

Oct 2014
i normally would not reply because i would never read this but after having to hear digibro complain about the anime adaptation through hours i would say there is no way they are worth it
Apr 16, 2016 7:43 AM

Feb 2016
Its an enjoyable read
Apr 16, 2016 7:46 AM

Apr 2011
gabrielrroiz said:
i normally would not reply because i would never read this but after having to hear digibro complain about the anime adaptation through hours i would say there is no way they are worth it

Yeah because the opinion of a hater of the ANIME ADAPTATION will actually reflect the quality of the original novel. right ?
Apr 16, 2016 9:20 AM

Oct 2014
Valaskjalf said:
gabrielrroiz said:

Yeah because the opinion of a hater of the ANIME ADAPTATION will actually reflect the quality of the original novel. right ?

There is no way an animation studio can screw up so much for the end result to be that bad
So yes
Apr 23, 2016 11:32 AM

Sep 2015
I'm a little amaze that someone brought up the infamous Digibro which brainwashed many of his fans and earning money from them. Many of his videos are good, but some are bias and was "his" opinion only-not general as everyone preference is different. Because we are not that "knowledgeable" in anime world/settings, whenever Digibro bring out something foreign to us, it makes us think "wow his taste is good" and what he said become the truth to our eyes.

Anyway back to the question. If you want to read Gakusen novel, wait until the anime is finish then only consider whether you want to read what comes after the anime. Read it yourself, if its bad then only drop it. Our preference is different, Some think its bad, it might be good to you.

I have lots of time, so i read many novels include rakudai, gakusen, kyuusen,... many. Many are generic, but interaction is different. Like rakudai and gakusen, both go different route, can't be compare.

Gakusen- After current festa(anime) finished, there are many things to look forward to. Visiting Yulis country-Ophelia, Slyvia-school festival, grifh 5 vs 5 match(newest volume) And there is one big plot working above everything else together with Ayato'sister mysteries, which only show part of it in current volume progress.
Jun 9, 2016 10:12 AM

Jul 2014
I personally think it's an enjoyable read. If there's anything good about the series- amidst all of the trash points that digibro felt could only be addressed in a 12-part video bash- it's the world-building. The anime leaves out several explanations, but the extra detail provided by the LNs really serves to shape up an interesting setting, imo.
Jul 21, 2016 2:20 AM
Jul 2018
gabrielrroiz said:
Valaskjalf said:

There is no way an animation studio can screw up so much for the end result to be that bad
So yes

No... you're completely wrong. Damn, you're stupid.
Mar 27, 2017 1:22 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
gabrielrroiz said:
Valaskjalf said:

So yes

I will respond to a year old post if I so please ;_;

But I just recently picked up the physical copies of the first two LNs, annnnnnnnnnd the LNs are so fucking world building heavy that it actually really feels to take precedent to the story and characters an all that. The anime was mostly centered around Ayato and his harem, which is kind of what I wanted out of the LNs, but the LNs spend an absurd amount of time detailing the inner workings of literally every tiny aspect of the way things work in this universe. Like, I am literally only two chapters in and over half of the book so far has been explaining the most minute details of how things in Asterisk work, and after skimming through the first volume for a bit, it doesn't seem to let up. It's...actually really extreme in terms of fleshing everything out about the world they're in to the point where everything the anime focused entirely on is almost a side feature. Which is disappointing because I don't find it to be particularly intriguing worldbuilding, and tbh I just wanted mai waifu.

This is really augmented by the author's note at the end where he basically explicitly stated that he was always more interested in worldbuilding found in Tabletop RPGs and the like and it really shows by the absurd amount of time he spends fleshing out even the most miniscule, unimportant details of the world this takes place in. Like, literal direct quote from his author's note:

"Incidentally, I'm one of those people who loves tabletop RPGs, but my favorite part is reading about the worldbuilding in the rulebooks. You know, things like 'Here are the legends about the gods worshipped in this region and their devotees follow these precepts,' or 'in this country such and such industries are flourishing, and their customs are like this.' Just these tiny pieces of information, but they really send your imagination flying.

In Tabletop RPGs, players have total freedom to make their own story.That means there has to be a foundation from which to build a story, no matter which parts of the worldbuilding the players focus on and how they interpret them. You could call this detailed information the seeds of a story. Of course, the players have the right to build their story while paying as little attention as they want to those seeds. But personally, I prefer worldbuilding where there are as many of those seeds as possible.

That's the kind of worldbuilding I hope to set forth with the Asterisk War. Ayato is the main character, but there are many other students living in this city."

It really his basically his express intent, so it's kind of easy to see where the source differs from the adaptation after reading this little excerpt at the end of the book.

I don't find the worldbuilding to be anything incredible, except for how it spends such an absurd amount of time on it, and I honestly would've preferred it if it was more in line with the anime adaptation, but yes - the LNs and the anime adaptation differ substantially in terms of focus.

If anything, after my little skimming through the contents of the first volume last night, I would say there's actually a very significant amount of adaptation displacement, even though the story with Ayato and Julis and Saya is more or less the same as in the anime. I can really only recommend the LNs if you've got a giant boner for worldbuilding that delves into absurdly miniscule details about how things work in the setting, though, or like the anime adaptation with the cute girls and stuff.
ManabanMar 27, 2017 1:39 PM

Oct 2, 2019 10:36 PM
Apr 2015
gabrielrroiz said:
Valaskjalf said:

So yes

Example: Arifureta
May 16, 2021 8:26 AM
May 2021
The LN is good. Dont judge it because of the anime
Feb 2, 2023 9:14 PM
Feb 2017
Manaban said:
gabrielrroiz said:

So yes

I will respond to a year old post if I so please ;_;

But I just recently picked up the physical copies of the first two LNs, annnnnnnnnnd the LNs are so fucking world building heavy that it actually really feels to take precedent to the story and characters an all that. The anime was mostly centered around Ayato and his harem, which is kind of what I wanted out of the LNs, but the LNs spend an absurd amount of time detailing the inner workings of literally every tiny aspect of the way things work in this universe. Like, I am literally only two chapters in and over half of the book so far has been explaining the most minute details of how things in Asterisk work, and after skimming through the first volume for a bit, it doesn't seem to let up. It's...actually really extreme in terms of fleshing everything out about the world they're in to the point where everything the anime focused entirely on is almost a side feature. Which is disappointing because I don't find it to be particularly intriguing worldbuilding, and tbh I just wanted mai waifu.

This is really augmented by the author's note at the end where he basically explicitly stated that he was always more interested in worldbuilding found in Tabletop RPGs and the like and it really shows by the absurd amount of time he spends fleshing out even the most miniscule, unimportant details of the world this takes place in. Like, literal direct quote from his author's note:

"Incidentally, I'm one of those people who loves tabletop RPGs, but my favorite part is reading about the worldbuilding in the rulebooks. You know, things like 'Here are the legends about the gods worshipped in this region and their devotees follow these precepts,' or 'in this country such and such industries are flourishing, and their customs are like this.' Just these tiny pieces of information, but they really send your imagination flying.

In Tabletop RPGs, players have total freedom to make their own story.That means there has to be a foundation from which to build a story, no matter which parts of the worldbuilding the players focus on and how they interpret them. You could call this detailed information the seeds of a story. Of course, the players have the right to build their story while paying as little attention as they want to those seeds. But personally, I prefer worldbuilding where there are as many of those seeds as possible.

That's the kind of worldbuilding I hope to set forth with the Asterisk War. Ayato is the main character, but there are many other students living in this city."

It really his basically his express intent, so it's kind of easy to see where the source differs from the adaptation after reading this little excerpt at the end of the book.

I don't find the worldbuilding to be anything incredible, except for how it spends such an absurd amount of time on it, and I honestly would've preferred it if it was more in line with the anime adaptation, but yes - the LNs and the anime adaptation differ substantially in terms of focus.

If anything, after my little skimming through the contents of the first volume last night, I would say there's actually a very significant amount of adaptation displacement, even though the story with Ayato and Julis and Saya is more or less the same as in the anime. I can really only recommend the LNs if you've got a giant boner for worldbuilding that delves into absurdly miniscule details about how things work in the setting, though, or like the anime adaptation with the cute girls and stuff.
Well I'll respond to a 5 year old post to say thanks, then.  Came along looking for the same question as OP after finding the anime... very standard, but enough to be worth a quick look at the source material's page.  Being the kind of person the author self-describes as, who has read RPG manuals for fun and lore, it sounds like the books might be up my alley even if they're still profoundly middling.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Volume 17 Discussion

Syureria - Jun 28, 2022

3 by Playcool »»
Nov 19, 2023 3:09 PM

» So who does he end up with

goldfishluke - Jul 5, 2023

4 by Narity_ »»
Aug 12, 2023 3:41 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Volume 13 Discussion

Zaphkiel_El_Rem - Jun 18, 2020

1 by Kenteezy »»
Jun 30, 2020 11:24 PM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Volume 12 Discussion

Zaphkiel_El_Rem - Jan 29, 2020

0 by Zaphkiel_El_Rem »»
Jan 29, 2020 7:08 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Volume 11 Discussion

removed-user - Mar 18, 2018

4 by Zaphkiel_El_Rem »»
Dec 5, 2019 6:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.