Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 2, 2016 5:22 AM

Jul 2009
Each year, April Fools' Day gives a chance for creators in the anime, manga, and games industry to showcase their creativity. With the popularity of social media in recent years, many of these expressions of creativity become viral easily. We shared some of our favorites on our Twitter account, but we also want to share them with the rest of the community.

Anime

Bungou Stray Dogs
The official website of the Spring 2016 anime Bungou Stray Dogs announced that the story of the series would be changed into a youth school drama setting. The new key visual for the series announced the title Gakuen Bungou Stray Dogs.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G: GIRS Crisis-hen
An official fan club was announced for the Cardfight!! Vanguard G: GIRS Crisis-hen fictional idol unit Rummy Labyrinth, whose characters are voiced by Haruka Kudou and Aimi Terakawa.

Digimon Adventure tri. 3: Kokuhaku
The official website of Digimon Adventure tri. announced that the third installment of the movies would instead be titled Sukamon Adventure tri.: Nisemono. A poster featuring the virus-type Digimon Sukamon and Etemon was also unveiled. The true poster for the the third movie was released on Saturday.

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season
The official website of the second season of Gakusen Toshi Asterisk announced that zombies had invaded the academy city. Visitors of the website were able to play a mini shooting game to hunt down the zombies.

Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season
The official website of the second season of Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri announced a spin-off work titled Mahou Shoujo Ai Senshi Rory: Isekai Shoukan-hen. It would tell the story of Rory Mercury before the events of Gate.

Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka??
The official website of the Fall 2015 anime Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?? unveiled designs for Kaitou Lapin (The Phantom Thief Lapin), a secret identity that series character Sharo Kirima takes up when not working part-time. Seiyuu Maaya Uchida also recorded a new voice segment.

Haifuri
The official website of the Spring 2016 anime Haifuri revealed that lead character Misake Akeno was caught riding a jet ski without wearing a life jacket. It posted a warning for viewers not engage in marine activities without a life jacket.

Hanayamata
The official website of the Summer 2014 anime Hanayamata announced that Machi Tokiwa has become a yosakoi idol.

King of Prism by Pretty Rhythm
The official website of King of Prism by Pretty Rhythm announced the movie would be renamed King of Princess for the upcoming Blu-ray and DVD release.

Kiznaiver
The official website of the Spring 2016 anime Kiznaiver unveiled a key visual in the style of Trigger's other work, Uchuu Patrol Luluco.

Mayoiga
The official website of the Spring 2016 anime Mayoiga announced that Ika Musume, whose anime is also directed by Tsutomu Mizushima, would be joining the cast of the series.

New Game!
The official website of the Summer 2016 anime New Game! announced that the series story would use a fantasy game setting.

Noragami Aragoto
The official website of the Fall 2015 anime Noragami Aragoto featured key visuals which play a pun on the series title using words ending with "-gami" or "-mi". Examples include hanikami (bashfulness), origami, megami (goddess), and Sagami.

Osomatsu-san
The official website of the Fall 2015 anime Osomatsu-san announced that the characters of the series have been transported back into the 1980s for a new Osomatsu-kun project.

Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
The official website of the Spring 2016 anime Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu announced that the series title would be changed to Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Nekokissa Seikatsu (Re:Life in a cat cafe from zero).

Sakamoto desu ga?
The official website of the Spring 2016 anime Sakamoto desu ga? announced that the series would be renamed Shouwa Genroku Sakamoto Shinjuu.

Sansha Sanyou
The official website of the Spring 2016 anime Sansha Sanyou announced a spin-off anime titled Lovely Idol Sakura featuring one of the series characters, Sakura Usuda. At the same time, a segment of her debut single "ZOKKON☆Cherry Blossom" performed by Nao Natsuno was previewed.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
The official Twitter account of the Fall 2014 anime Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso posted the message of its own title, which translates to "April is your lie."

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
The official website of the Winter 2016 anime Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu announced that the series would be renamed Kikuhiko desu ga? for the final episode, which aired on Saturday.

Show By Rock!!
The official website of the Spring 2015 anime Show By Rock!! announced the spin-off movie Mahou Shoujo Plasmagica.

Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge
The official website of Gangan Online featured a parody animation of Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge, showing lead character Tanaka running around rather than being lethargic as the title would suggest.

Tayutama: Kiss On My Deity
Visual novel developer Lump of Sugar announced an anime adaptation of its upcoming work Tayutama 2. The new work is a sequel of its 2008 visual novel, which was adapted into a TV anime in 2009.

Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki 4th Season
The official website of Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki 4th Season announced that the latest anime project had been canceled and replaced with a live-action adaptation of the series.

Uchuu Patrol Luluco
The official website of the Spring 2016 anime Uchuu Patrol Luluco unveiled a key visual in the style of Trigger's Kiznaiver.

Working!!!
The official website of the Summer 2015 anime Working!!! announced multiple new anime adaptations. One of the projects teased was a fourth anime season titled WWW.Working!, which was confirmed as a new TV anime on Saturday. Seiyuu Haruka Tomatsu and Ryou Hirohashi also recorded a special episode of the radio program Yamaking!! to announce the new anime.

Other

August
Visual novel developer August announced an anime production titled August Game The Animation: The Girls Creating Game Software for television broadcast in August 2016.

Company☆Girls
The official website of the browser RPG game Company☆Girls announced a TV anime production.

Good Smile Company
Character figure producer Good Smile Company announced its next generation line of character figures, the Nendrone.

Love Live! School Idol Festival
The mobile rhythm game Love Live! School Idol Festival replaced sounds in the game with the bleating of alpacas.

Otonokizaka High School
An official website was opened for the fictional Otonokizaka High School, the setting of Love Live! School Idol Project.

Shin Godzilla
The official website of the upcoming film Shin Godzilla, which is co-directed by Hideaki Anno, announced a collaboration with Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Source: Animate.tv, Dengeki Online, Gigazine

← Previous Year
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Apr 2, 2016 5:32 AM

Jan 2011
The 10 month old idol thing Super Sonico did was pretty fucked up.
Apr 2, 2016 5:34 AM

May 2011
Too bad that these aren't actually real, especially the ones from Gochiusa, Show By Rock!! and Sansha Sanyou.
ZekamashiApr 2, 2016 5:38 AM
Apr 2, 2016 5:36 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I'd totally watch August Game The Animation :/
Apr 2, 2016 5:43 AM

Sep 2015
That Shin Godzilla is too good to be true, sadly. The poster looks frigging awesome.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Apr 2, 2016 5:45 AM

May 2012
Damn, why can't the Rory one and Shin Godzilla be real lol

Apr 2, 2016 5:49 AM

Feb 2015
"Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season
The official website of the second season of Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri announced a spin-off work titled Mahou Shoujo Ai Senshi Rory: Isekai Shoukan-hen. It would tell the story of Rory Mercury before the events of Gate."

i would love to see that tho... ;_;
Apr 2, 2016 5:52 AM

Aug 2015
do companies/cooperations think they will really fool others in april fools' day?it used to be funny like 200 years ago now it's cancer....the only people they'll fool in april fool day is the type of people who go to google and search how to download RAM..
Apr 2, 2016 5:55 AM

Mar 2012

I can only see this as legit April Fool or not.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 2, 2016 5:55 AM

Jul 2014
Uhh,
Fate/Madoka?
Apr 2, 2016 5:56 AM

Feb 2016
would difinitely watch
Shouwa Genroku Sakamoto

and this.
Gensan said:
Uhh,
Fate/Madoka?
Apr 2, 2016 5:56 AM

Feb 2012
Well nice at least they tried.
Apr 2, 2016 5:58 AM

Jul 2009
Gensan said:
Uhh,
Fate/Madoka?

That is a fan-made parody from 2013.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Apr 2, 2016 5:59 AM

Apr 2013
The gate, gochiusa ones made me laugh. Nice ideas actually x).
Lol at ika musume in that bus :p.
The dual joke from sakamoto and shouwa genroku is nice.

That nendrome would be a weird encounter irl, for sure x).

Shin Godzilla -> O_o.
Apr 2, 2016 6:05 AM

Nov 2011
Lol funny, I wish the one about Rory from GATE was real though.
Apr 2, 2016 6:19 AM

Jul 2014
My favorites were the Sakamoto and Shouwa Genroku ones, even though I haven't watched/read either of them (yet)
Apr 2, 2016 6:22 AM

Jul 2014
arsonal said:
Gensan said:
Uhh,
Fate/Madoka?

That is a fan-made parody from 2013.
And here i just know it, after 3 years *sighs*
There's no meaning in living anymore
Apr 2, 2016 6:47 AM
May 2010
Would totally watch Showa Genroku Sakamoto, if it's real. I'm curious at how will Sakamoto do rakugo, the towering zabuton would be totally how he sit though
Apr 2, 2016 7:06 AM

Apr 2013
Haha hilarious, Shouwa Genroku Sakamoto Shinjuu and Kikuhiko desu ga?
Apr 2, 2016 7:08 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
There needs to be a Shouwa Genroku and Sakamoto crossover XD
Apr 2, 2016 8:39 AM

Jan 2012
I wouldn't mind
Tayutama: Kiss On My Deity season 2 and that poster just looks too genuine

Yahallo!
Yatta!
Baka!

<!
"Humans, your existence was a mistake. Conflicts, lies, jealously, greed. You once caused me to lose everything and today I will devour everything... Because I am the Valkyrie Goddess">
Apr 2, 2016 9:12 AM

Jun 2014
Asterisk War would probably be better if there were zombies tbh. And I would definitely watch the Shouwa/Sakamoto crossover lol.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 2, 2016 9:17 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
There were also Fate X Osomatsu-san = Saber-san.

Sprite turning Aokana into Nekokana

Ensemble Girls getting a movie, where Natsumi becomes a titan.

Garo: Divine Flame's new key visual.

King of Prism by Pretty Rhythm's cast of male idols turning into princesses.

Wargaming's new product, World of Wartrains

Apr 2, 2016 9:21 AM

Jun 2011
When I saw Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu there, my heart skipped a beat and I expected to learn that the announcement of a second season is a lie (... in April). Glad that's not the case.

Those Swagamoto x Rakugo crossovers tho.
Apr 2, 2016 9:24 AM

Apr 2008
LeFlower-kun said:
Haha hilarious, Shouwa Genroku Sakamoto Shinjuu and Kikuhiko desu ga?

Some really fun ones, but these two.... LOL! :D
Apr 2, 2016 9:25 AM

Sep 2013
Would have loved to see a series devoted to Rory D:

Also, laughed at the Good Smile one.
Apr 2, 2016 10:00 AM

Jan 2015
Lol Deen's were the best, surprisingly enough they've step up'd their game this year.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Apr 2, 2016 11:03 AM

Mar 2013
arsonal said:
Tayutama: Kiss On My Deity
Visual novel developer Lump of Sugar announced an anime adaptation of its upcoming work Tayutama 2. The new work is a sequel of its 2008 visual novel, which was adapted into a TV anime in 2009.

Aww... Why to fu** is that not real, it'd be awesome...
Apr 2, 2016 12:25 PM
May 2007
Starmyu April Fools 10/10
Apr 2, 2016 12:54 PM
Jul 2018
ultravigo said:
do companies/cooperations think they will really fool others in april fools' day?it used to be funny like 200 years ago now it's cancer....the only people they'll fool in april fool day is the type of people who go to google and search how to download RAM..

FUN = NOT ALLOWED!
Apr 2, 2016 2:40 PM

Jan 2008
A good laugh. The Sakamoto ones made me cough out my drink.
Apr 2, 2016 2:48 PM
Jul 2018
Strattton said:
puraragi said:

FUN = NOT ALLOWED!

They don't do it for fun. They treat it as a competition; to show off how big their piggy bank is.

I don't see the problem, they hardly get anything from it other than advertisement, and most of the time it's directed at the fans anyway. It's nice to have some healthy competition once in a while, and the results were fun so who cares.
Apr 2, 2016 3:21 PM
Jul 2018
Strattton said:
puraragi said:

I don't see the problem, they hardly get anything from it other than advertisement, and most of the time it's directed at the fans anyway. It's nice to have some healthy competition once in a while, and the results were fun so who cares.

In this case yes but in the real world big companies don't always treat it that way

Wow, is that so? So much that Google releases at least 2 of their "h1lari0us" april fools jokes, so much that just this year Samsung announced their "new" block phone line. "Real world big companies" are the most likely to actually do April Fools jokes, and the fact that you don't consider anime companies real world companies amuses me.
Apr 2, 2016 7:34 PM

Mar 2011
That's a huge list! Those Japanese big liars... lol
Apr 2, 2016 11:08 PM

Mar 2015
I know yesterday Daru from Steins;Gate hacked Anonymous;Code's website with all of his information all over the website, but seems like Anonymous;Code were able to revert it back to normal.

Ah well, it's a good april fools day. I was hoping that KonoSuba would do one, since they are a comedy series. But meh, they didn't do anything.

Although I'm liking the Mahou Shoujo Rory! Kyubey will probably not approve though lol.

Apr 3, 2016 1:48 AM
Nov 2015
I wish New Game was a Video Game Fantasy Anime like SAO Instead of a Cute Girls Doing Cute things Anime tho :(
Apr 3, 2016 1:55 AM

Sep 2014
Working of the Dead x,DD
Imagine Sakamoto doing rakugo. It'd be the most popular form of art these days all over the world.
And adult Matsu guys in their kids' setting would be very fun as well!
Apr 3, 2016 2:04 AM
Dec 2010
Definitely would have loved that Rory spin-off to be real. Plenty of other good ones, but IMHO, nothing beats Nisekoimonogatari from Shaft last year.
Apr 3, 2016 3:54 AM
May 2013
Did rory just say Emloy Essaim? hahaha sounds like she combined emloy with her phrase from shigatsu kim
Apr 3, 2016 2:47 PM

Oct 2012
Would love to watch Shouwa Genroku Sakamoto Shinjuu and Kikuhiko desu ga?
Apr 4, 2016 2:03 AM

Oct 2009
Gakuen Bungou Stray Dogs? (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ ♥ *fangirl squeal*

"Shouwa Genroku Sakamoto Shinjuu and Kikuhiko desu ga"
They're really advertising Sakamoto desu ga? aren't they :D

Apr 4, 2016 2:34 AM

May 2010
No Creamy Kagarin? :(

The little pic with all of Key pets was also super-adorable <3
Apr 4, 2016 10:02 AM

Sep 2011
A shame the Rory spin-off isn't real.
Apr 4, 2016 12:10 PM

May 2015
Studio DEEN mega crossover pls.
Apr 4, 2016 12:40 PM

Mar 2013
Hey, why the heck I remain quoted here, if at none here my text quoted see can - I did even several times Mark All as Read used, but nevertheless I get the quote-notification here...>_>
Apr 4, 2016 7:19 PM

Aug 2007
They look really funny the false notices. My favourite was one involving with Sakamoto desu ga and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Apr 5, 2016 12:48 AM

Oct 2012
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso and Working are the best for me!!
Also shame magical Rory is just a dream xD
"Signature removed"
Apr 6, 2016 4:59 AM

Sep 2015
I'd love to see Shouwa Genroku Sakamoto Shinjuu tho
Apr 7, 2016 10:23 AM

Apr 2016
I know i'm late to the party but i wouldn't mind if a few of those were real lol.

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Kuroiwa Medaka ni Watashi no Kawaii ga Tsuujinai' Gets TV Anime

Hyperion_PS - 8 hours ago

12 by CQLLIST »»
27 minutes ago

» Smartphone Game 'Garena Free Fire' Gets Anime Project

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

38 by vitor03 »»
50 minutes ago

» Manga 'Kinoko Inu' Receives TV Anime in Fall 2024

Hyperion_PS - 7 hours ago

1 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Kakushite! Makina-san!!' Gets TV Anime in 2025

Vindstot - May 9

15 by Piromysl »»
Today, 4:47 AM

» 'Kimi no Iro' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

6 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.