Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Haikyuu!! Season 2 Analysis videos + where does Haikyuu rank in terms of Sports anime?

New
Mar 27, 2016 9:44 AM

Feb 2013
With Season 2 coming to a close, I can confidently say that it's been an amazing ride and is one of the best sequels, not just for a sports anime, I've ever watched.

I made some analysis videos of what I thought were the season's best episodes (22 & 24):

Episode 24

Episode 22

I personally have Haikyuu!! only trailing, Ping Pong the Animation in the sports genre. Maybe it's the recency bias but with this season alone it surpassed Kuroko no Basket, Major and Slam Dunk for me.

What do you think about the points I made in the video? Where would you rank Haikyuu?
JTricksApr 4, 2016 1:38 AM
Mar 28, 2016 2:08 PM
Dec 2014
This series is getting better and better

For me.

Second, only behind of Slam dunk.
Mar 29, 2016 10:48 AM

Feb 2013
Yup, the second season definitely stepped it up! (Season 1 was already pretty great).

We'll see with Season 3 if it can keep it up and truly stay up there as one of the all-time greats.
Mar 29, 2016 11:25 AM

Jan 2015
I haven't finished this season yet, but I find it hard to believe that Haikyuu S2 surpassed Hajime no Ippo but I can imagine it surpassing KnB.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Mar 29, 2016 1:37 PM

Dec 2012
I would rank it at the very top above Slam Dunk, KnB, Ping Pong, Hajime no Ippo, etc.

I have never experienced anything like season 2 from any sports anime. The last match was just pure perfection in so many levels. Literally the best sports anime.
Mar 29, 2016 10:08 PM

Mar 2016
JTricks said:
I personally have Haikyuu!! only trailing, Ping Pong the Animation in the sports genre.

What makes Ping Pong the Animation better than Haikyuu!! in your opinion? It's going to be hard to top Haikyuu!! for me but I've played a bit of table tennis before so I'm kinda interested in that one.
Mar 29, 2016 10:27 PM

Feb 2013
milkcrate said:
What makes Ping Pong the Animation better than Haikyuu!!

For the long answer check out my Ping Pong review on my sig.

The shorter answer is, it's just so much more complex than every other sports show in existence, while still being incredibly entertaining. Haikyuu!! might have more "hype" moments. but Ping Pong manages to have almost as much great moments with only 11 episodes. Haikyuu!!'s strongest trait is its character development, but again Ping Pong achieves just as much with less episodes, which is impressive.

You really gotta watch it to understand for yourself, these are just my opinion. I'm sure you'll like it as well, have fun!
Mar 29, 2016 10:54 PM

Mar 2016
JTricks said:
milkcrate said:
What makes Ping Pong the Animation better than Haikyuu!!

For the long answer check out my Ping Pong review on my sig.

The shorter answer is, it's just so much more complex than every other sports show in existence, while still being incredibly entertaining. Haikyuu!! might have more "hype" moments. but Ping Pong manages to have almost as much great moments with only 11 episodes. Haikyuu!!'s strongest trait is its character development, but again Ping Pong achieves just as much with less episodes, which is impressive.

You really gotta watch it to understand for yourself, these are just my opinion. I'm sure you'll like it as well, have fun!

Thanks, it's on my list to watch now! What made Haikyuu!! a cut above the other sports anime is the focus on developing and showcasing characters in a way that doesn't seem forced or flimsy.
Mar 30, 2016 4:48 AM

Apr 2013
milkcrate said:
JTricks said:
I personally have Haikyuu!! only trailing, Ping Pong the Animation in the sports genre.

What makes Ping Pong the Animation better than Haikyuu!! in your opinion? It's going to be hard to top Haikyuu!! for me but I've played a bit of table tennis before so I'm kinda interested in that one.

I also wrote a review on Ping Pong before (shameless advertising lel). But in all honesty, I started Ping Pong The Animation because back then table tennis was my favourite sport. Ping Pong is more about the characters than the sport, and table tennis is just used as a catalyst of enhancing the story-telling and character growth. Character development and character interactions are very well-done in Ping Pong, and the symbolism is nice too.

Ping Pong overall is a really superb coming of age story and you should check it out tbh.
Mar 31, 2016 11:52 PM

Nov 2007

— Kagura (Gintama, 2015).

Here are some comparisons:

Haikyu vs. Kuroko no Basket

The story progression, the games, the character interactions and their development, the team and their development as a unit, the games that can be felt more like a team game where everyone contributes, and letting the viewers feel for the teams involved in the games, Haikyu is a complete package. While I really enjoyed Kuroko no Basket season 1, season 2 wasn't that great. It lacks in everything that Haikyu excels in. I don't have enough interest in picking up Kuroko no Basket 3 any time soon. Haikyu built on season 1 and actually far surpassed it with season 2 and I cannot wait for season 3.

Haikyu vs. Ookiku Furikabutte

One of the most underappreciated sports anime outside Japan, Ookiku Furikabutte is the first of its kind that actually gave sports genre a major breakthrough. Oofuri was the first sports anime that sparked the industry by selling 19K+ discs on average per volume, a number never seen before for the genre. A pioneer in the sports genre that fans could relate to from a human level.

Haikyu is very close to Oofuri in a sense that you really start to care about the whole team. Their victory seems like your victory and their loss seems like your loss. This is primarily because of how human the stories are. There is no ridiculous power up like regular battle shounen; the players work hard as individuals and play as a team. It's not like you root for Kuroko or Kagami, but you root for Karasuno and Nishiura.

But what Haikyu does better than Oofuri is the way you can see the team actually learning and growing through experiencing difficult situations against different oppositions. It also excels in the way where you can see the passion of the team members, their coaches and the managers. I think I need to add that the girls in Haikyu are the best. The supporting characters are better developed in Haikyu by a big margin.

Haikyu vs. Hajime no Ippo

As a pure sports genre anime (I will come to this term later when I used the word 'pure') I don't think Haikyu as a series has matched the level of Ippo's yet. Ippo is however, basically for male viewers and thus certain aspects are handled differently — the vulgar/dirty jokes/slangs for example. Haikyu and anime such as KnB have both male and very strong female fan base despite being published in shounen magazine because the way the characters are designed, influenced by the success of Oofuri, their behaviours are milder. They also promote influential female roles unlike Ippo which makes a lot of difference.

Ippo is very inspirational and it sends shivers down your spine once you get into the matches. One will think okay, what is there to come after such a fight and then the anime comes with fight that far surpasses the previous one. As a pure sports anime, it's probably unparalleled. But it's difficult to compare the two just for sports genre in a sense that boxing is not a team sports (I know the seconds play their roles, but that doesn't change the fact that the match has to be played by the boxer alone).

Ippo is probably still the greatest sports anime ever, but Haikyu is getting closer. The level it reached over the second season is exceptional. I won't be surprised if it actually surpasses Ippo by its third season but it remains to be seen whether it can maintain or better the level it is at right now.

Haikyu vs. Ping Pong The Animation

Ping Pong the animation is not a pure sports anime. It's more a coming of age story that reflects the limitless human possibilities. There is nothing to compare between the two. Both are great anime and there's nothing else to add. As a standalone anime, I think Ping Pong the Animation is one of a kind anime, a unique anime with unique style and animation and it's difficult to find a similar anime.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 1, 2016 4:17 AM

Mar 2009
I think "Giant Killing" should be mentioned in the tops aswell. Super realistic Football/Soccer Anime with an underdog story. Yeah I may be biased since that is the sport I play myself in RL and pretty much breathe but the show is amazing itself aswell.
Apr 1, 2016 11:42 PM

Feb 2013

Great comparisons! Agree with everything you said.

Hajime no Ippo is certainly up there and I've never even heard of Ookiku Furikabutte haha.

Good point on Ping Pong as well, it's not "just a sports anime" and that's what makes it great.

Good stuff.
Apr 2, 2016 12:07 AM
Jul 2018
The only three sports anime I'm rly into are admittedly the most popular ones, Free!, Haikyuu!!, and Kuroko, but I'd say after watching two seasons of hq!! it ranks at #1 of the three on my list no matter how many feels free! gives me, Haikyuu's even more charming and all its characters I pretty much adore
Apr 2, 2016 12:34 AM

Apr 2014
Sports isn't my favorite genre but there are definitely some series that stand out. Per say, that's how I would rank the sports series I have watched:

1. Ping Pong the Animation- 9/10
2. Cross Game- 9/10
3. Hajime no Ippo- 8/10
4. Ookiku Furikabutte- 7.5/10
5. Chihayafuru- 7.5/10
6. Haikyuu!!-7.5/10
7. Giant Killing- 7/10
8. Kuroko no Basket- 5/10
9. Free!!- 3.5/10
Note: I haven't yet watched Major, Slam Dunk, Ashita no Joe and more, and I expect Slam Dunk and Ashita no Joe to end up really high in that list.

I don't consider Ping Pong the Animation and Chihayafuru to be sports anime themselves, especially Ping Pong. As shanimebib said above: Ping Pong the Animation is not a pure sports anime. It's more a coming of age story that reflects the limitless human possibilities. There is nothing to compare between the two. Both are great anime and there's nothing else to add. As a standalone anime, I think Ping Pong the Animation is one of a kind anime, a unique anime with unique style and animation and it's difficult to find a similar anime. I don't think that anything can easily top Ping Pong the Animation, at least in my book.

Now when it comes to Haikyuu!, it definitely was a pleasant surprise. I liked the first season quite much. It managed to bring about team development quite well in a span of 25 episodes, and in the end it got quite emotional. Haikyuu!! has a great cast of characters, most of them are really likeable and the whole thing was definitely enjoyable. The second season completely surpassed my expectations when it comes to shounen and when it comes to sports anime. I felt like Haikyuu!! managed to develop not only the team, but characters, supporting or not, really well. I started liking Tsukki so much that he ended up being my favorite character of the whole thing and into my top 10 characters of all time. I consider Haikyuu!! equal in ground with Ookiku Furikabutte (which I have a thing for), and Chihayafuru, and that's no small feat. It surpasses Kuroko and Free!! by far. But I still don't feel like it can stand up to series like Cross Game. That doesn't mean that it ain't good, instead it's a really good anime series that's served as my anime of the year in 2015 and a contender in 2014. Gotta watch the other sports anime as well in order to have a finalized opinion :>
Apr 2, 2016 12:44 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
To me Chihayafuru is still by far the best within this genre... if you can actually call it a sports anime in the first place that is, it's kind of borderline in that sense

Haikyuu still suffers from the same problems that basically ever sports anime ever does and that you can't get away from no matter how much you try, and because of that I find it impossible to ever give it more than an 8 or so. But among all those anime with the same problems, it's definitely among the best ones. I still prefer Kuroko just because of how much plain fun that was even if it was dumb; Haikyuu is a bit too close to reality to me which sometimes just makes me want to... well watch real volleyball instead. Also I have to say that the first half of this season of Haikyuu was really fucking boring. You don't spend like 12 episodes in a row on training arcs. That's just way too much
Apr 3, 2016 7:54 AM

Aug 2009
shanimebib said:

Haikyu vs. Ookiku Furikabutte

One of the most underappreciated sports anime outside Japan, Ookiku Furikabutte is the first of its kind that actually gave sports genre a major breakthrough.

Ookiku Furikabutte is too underappreciated. It's such a wonderful sports manga and anime. I hope and pray that one day they will continue adapting it with animations, there is so much more.

I wish I could give an in-depth review of all the sports anime I've watched to help with this analysis, but to be quite frank, I can not. Since I watch for enjoyment, I don't want to analyze or compare. I find entertainment in majority of the sports anime and that is fine by me, even though Haikyuu is my ultimate favorite in this genre.

Chihayafuru needs more love as well.

Apr 3, 2016 8:03 AM

Feb 2013
From what I've watched the best sports anime is by far Slam Dunk, Prince of Tennis(all seasons) is on my second place and Hajime no Ippo on third.
Eyeshield 21,Haikyuu,Diamond no Ace, Kuroko no Basuke and Yowamushi Pedal are next, all are good but I didn't feel the same excitement and they didn't have great rivalries.
Apr 3, 2016 8:14 AM
Sep 2012
Haikyuu is amazing, I still don't think I would rate it above my other favourites though. Although I don't think the series can really do anything to improve, it's a blast to watch, is well made and has great characters.
My sports anime rankings best to worse (although I love them all)
Kuroko no Basket
Hajime no Ippo
Haikyuu
Yowamushi Pedal
Diamond no Ace
Baby Steps
Free (not really sports focused though)

Kuroko is just so much damn fun to watch I don't think anything will match it. And ippo sends shivers down your spine from the epicness and inspiration in it. I'm considering watching Slam Dunk, Eyeshield 21, Giant Killing, Ping Pong and that Ookiku one sometime too.
Apr 3, 2016 9:23 AM

May 2010
Haikyuu!! is pretty good, but yup, definitely not as fun as Kuroko. Also, bishies aren't that appealing, from female point of view :>

It is definitely more solid, I have to admit that. There are no as many asspulls or bullshit screaming, or talking for a half of episode... Because of that it was a bit boring to me, but I can understand its popularity.

Other than that I haven't seen that many sport series... Only Free!, and it is something completely different, more similar to K-On! I guess.

I still don't understand the score, I know it doesn't really matter, but would it really be 10/10 anime for so many people? Eh, I don't get it @_@
Apr 13, 2016 9:02 AM
Mar 2016
Haikyuu is a great sport anime but i think hajime no ippo still better...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 5, 2016

154 by LycorineOwen »»
May 31, 10:24 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2016

253 by iamsnakeuu »»
May 28, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2016

300 by iamsnakeuu »»
May 28, 8:21 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2016

90 by iamsnakeuu »»
May 28, 7:57 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2016

97 by iamsnakeuu »»
May 28, 7:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.