Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 17, 2016 5:29 AM

Apr 2010
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
That was a weird yet still enjoyable chapter. Maria and Sister are still going to be together at the orphanage!! I can die happy now. Stella also invited the twins with her to the orphanage. It was sad that Last Samurai did not end up with P-ko but she's with the Ex-Mayor so it's alright. Amazoness cheering Hoshi is also cute!!

Lastly, I really did not think all these Venusian stuff were actually real!! It really slapped me in the face a few chapters back.
Mar 17, 2016 7:01 AM

Jul 2014
I never thought the Venusian stuff was real either.

I wish I got to see the real faces of the masked characters though.

I really liked the ending, but I'm sad that it's over.
I can't believe it's over TT_TT

Maria and Sister look awesome at the end :D
Mar 21, 2016 12:33 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Man, what a ride this has been. Been reading this for so many years. When I first started this, I thought there was going to be a lot of social commentary in the midst of the all the comedy. But that notion turned to be erroneous. Then I thought that it would be one of those gag manage that would never get finished, but when the traveling to Venus arc started, things got unexpectedly serious. I never thought it was for real. And then it became a full on romance story. Surprising. I'm glad though that the mangaka had the balls to do a proper closed ending, and not leave it all in the open like some of his colleagues. About my only gripe is that Star didn't get to be with Amazoness at the end.

Farewell Arakawa, I will never forget your crazy, zany characters in their weird situations.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 21, 2016 3:28 AM

Apr 2010
Farabeuf said:
Man, what a ride this has been. Been reading this for so many years. When I first started this, I thought there was going to be a lot of social commentary in the midst of the all the comedy. But that notion turned to be erroneous. Then I thought that it would be one of those gag manage that would never get finished, but when the traveling to Venus arc started, things got unexpectedly serious. I never thought it was for real. And then it became a full on romance story. Surprising. I'm glad though that the mangaka had the balls to do a proper closed ending, and not leave it all in the open like some of his colleagues. About my only gripe is that Star didn't get to be with Amazoness at the end.

Farewell Arakawa, I will never forget your crazy, zany characters in their weird situations.

But Amazoness was still seen attending Hoshi's concert, so I guess things are progressing smoothly on their side. :)
Mar 21, 2016 10:35 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
shellykanto said:
Farabeuf said:

But Amazoness was still seen attending Hoshi's concert, so I guess things are progressing smoothly on their side. :)

Thanks for pointing it out. I had kinda skimmed that panel since it didn't have any dialogue. She's not only there, but she's fangirling like crazy. Love it! And that las panel with Rec and Nino is just perfection.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 22, 2016 5:06 AM

Sep 2012
Truly an under appreciated series, I'm glad it had a proper conclusive ending ^^
Every chapter and episode of this series made me smile and laugh without fail.
I'll miss this, will definitely re-watch the series in the near future.
Apr 1, 2016 9:19 PM
Jan 2013
Hell, I can appreciate this ending and the around 20-30 chapters that lead to it
gone bai bai
Nov 21, 2017 7:13 AM

Jan 2014
The last chapter is 400.7 right? Because MAL lists 410,.. they probably included the partial chapters as wholes.

shellykanto said:
Lastly, I really did not think all these Venusian stuff were actually real!! It really slapped me in the face a few chapters back.
emxutaxmine said:
I never thought the Venusian stuff was real either.
Rin said:
Truly an under appreciated series, I'm glad it had a proper conclusive ending ^^

I'm a bit torn about this series. Yeah, I liked the ending, and I liked that we got a conclusive ending. On the other hand, it ended as a completely different series than what it started as.

The first 75% is light-hearted, full of slapstick humour, but also quite serious in its assessment of the characters. You'd never expect the whole Venusian thing to be real. The last 25% is the complete opposite, and IMO just doesn't fit. The Venusian reality weakens the narrative of Rec's and Nino's relationship, as well as that of all the other characters. I liked both parts, but I'd preferred if both ideas would have been worked out in two different series.

Then there's the plot-holes, or rather the stuff left open. Sister & Maria are obviously mercs hired by the Mayor, but I want their full backstory. Is Shiro really divorcing his wife? What really happened to Takai and Kou when they got into that prop rocket? What exactly happened to Rec's/Kou's mother? What happened to Shimazaki? What happened to Last Samurai? What happened to those two generic side characters that hung around with Jacqueline and Billy, and simply dissappeared halfway through the series? What happened to Swallow Guy? Who were Amazoness and the Tengu? How did they get involved with and what was their role in the Mayor's scheme?

Also, I watched the anime first and thought the manga was much harder to follow. I don't usually with other manga; some parts seemed to have been just genuinely poorly written. Finally I found the whole nudists theme was uncomfortable more so than funny.

In summary, I enjoyed this series a lot, but I feel like the author just strayed from her original idea over the course of the serialisation. 7/10
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Nov 27, 2017 10:28 PM

Aug 2012
Did Nino and Rec got a baby?
because Takai have a baby clothes that looks like he's taking care of someone.

I honestly enjoyed the series but yeah there is a lot of stuff that I still want to see so It's hard to say that I'm satisfied.
Mar 31, 2020 9:22 PM

Apr 2016
I guess that's the end! It's really sad that all of the characters went their own ways. It's a sad way to end a story but at least it shows their development in some sense, that they've moved on with their lives, putting their lives under the bridge behind them for good. I found that aspect beautiful.

Though what really caught my eyes was the countdown, and how once it reached 0, they vanished without a trace, almost as if their time spent together wasn't reality to begin with. Even though that wasn't the case, it was a sad thing to witness.

My thoughts on the ending aside, I felt like this manga couldn't decide on what it wanted to be - a gag manga, or something with a deeper, more profound meaning. Seeing gag bits in the midst of a supposedly serious part sorta killed off any sentiments that followed while reading these chapters. What was up with the previous 100+ chapters too? It was pure gag and nothing else, absolutely nothing about the topic that caught our attention so many chapters back: the mystery of Nino. At that point I just thought the whole idea was put on the back burner for good, but it was suddenly reintroduced at the end. That's my main issue with this manga.

It was very enjoyable in the beginning, but as the chapters started feeling more and more episodic I quickly lost interest in the series.

4/10
May 25, 2021 10:44 PM

Mar 2017
Love the anime and loved reading the manga.
There were some loose ends in the end and the author clearly didn't plan the ending ahead, but overall it was a very good read filled laughter and sometimes sadness.
8/10
Jun 28, 2023 2:22 PM

May 2021
The ending didn’t actually feel like an ending and more of another skit
It was really abrupt
At least hes trying to get to space again
Inhales oxygen

More topics from this board

Poll: » Arakawa Under the Bridge Chapter 397 Discussion

Karva1 - Jun 28, 2023

0 by Karva1 »»
Jun 28, 2023 2:07 PM

Poll: » Arakawa Under the Bridge Chapter 395 Discussion

Karva1 - Jun 28, 2023

0 by Karva1 »»
Jun 28, 2023 2:00 PM

Poll: » Arakawa Under the Bridge Chapter 394 Discussion

Karva1 - Jun 28, 2023

0 by Karva1 »»
Jun 28, 2023 1:53 PM

Poll: » Arakawa Under the Bridge Chapter 393 Discussion

Karva1 - Jun 28, 2023

0 by Karva1 »»
Jun 28, 2023 12:13 PM

Poll: » Arakawa Under the Bridge Chapter 391 Discussion

Karva1 - Jun 28, 2023

0 by Karva1 »»
Jun 28, 2023 12:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.