Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 6, 2016 3:55 AM
May 2015
The first time I watched the movie way back 2009( I was 12yrs old at that time) to me it was the most boring shit ever, no interesting action scenes and lots of talk lol, it was a shitty movie, and now 2016(Currently 19yrs old) a few days ago I decided to watch it again and surprisingly. The movie had some profound effects on me even though I already know the ending, it was not sadness but perhaps Hopelessness, Anger, Disappointment? Its weird lol, The realization that life can slap you pretty hard is so harsh and the way the movie shows it to the viewers, my mind is telling me its just a movie so don`t dwell to much on it, yet here I am with the lingering feelings of emptiness and slight depression....

My childish belief of True Love never ends just got shattered.. T_T

And Do you think Akari got into arranged marriage by her parents and also to help her move on?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 9, 2016 2:58 AM
Sep 2015
I just felt really bummed out. That's mainly what I felt, didn't shed any tears was just.. bummed.
Mar 14, 2016 11:38 AM
Feb 2016
IRIS-T said:
The first time I watched the movie way back 2009( I was 12yrs old at that time) to me it was the most boring shit ever, no interesting action scenes and lots of talk lol, it was a shitty movie, and now 2016(Currently 19yrs old) a few days ago I decided to watch it again and surprisingly. The movie had some profound effects on me even though I already know the ending, it was not sadness but perhaps Hopelessness, Anger, Disappointment? Its weird lol, The realization that life can slap you pretty hard is so harsh and the way the movie shows it to the viewers, my mind is telling me its just a movie so don`t dwell to much on it, yet here I am with the lingering feelings of emptiness and slight depression....

And Do you think Akari got into arranged marriage by her parents and also to help her move on?
YadidixDDD said:
I just felt really bummed out. That's mainly what I felt, didn't shed any tears was just.. bummed.

yeah thats the effect it has....Shinkai knowingly or unknowingly has touched one of the base of human love.....
Apr 17, 2016 7:59 PM

Feb 2016
I felt so empty and insignificant when I watched this, but that's how real life is.
This is my signature
Apr 17, 2016 8:33 PM

Feb 2016
I didn't feel anything much at the end. At the ending, I literally said "o lol thats it?"
I think the movie is completely overrated. The movie was average at best... it was just so bland. What was sad about it though, that's what I fail to understand. I know real life isn't necessarily interesting and things like that happen etc... but it left me so empty. I was really let down tbh, probably because I expected so much.

They don't get to be together because of distance blah blah blah. It didn't make me care enough about the characters, actually. Halfway through the movie, I almost didn't care tbh.

The animation was a redeeming aspect though. But I was still pissed because the background/setting looked so beautiful but the characters themselves looked like crap, as if the animators didn't feel like drawing faces.
ExhalantApr 17, 2016 8:37 PM
Apr 30, 2016 10:44 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
I just finished the movie for the first time, I had gone blind, and without hype.
Last moments of the movie I was raging alot, like FCK!!! NOOO!!! Then I stared to accept it, because stuff like these do happen, just wait for it to happen to you, it hurts like hell.

I m glad I live in a small country, right now I feel that if I had lived in japan this shit would had happened to me and it would fuck up my life pretty badly.
Jul 8, 2016 3:48 AM

Jan 2015
Wow, what a disappointment, shame, the first episode was really good but then it just went downhill...
Jul 8, 2016 4:00 AM

Apr 2011
Giving it a three out of ten myself, I believe it to be quite clear how I thought of it. And those three points are only rewarded to the visual aspect of the film. I felt nothing for it — I do not remember feeling even a tinge of emotion while viewing it.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Jul 8, 2016 4:02 AM

Aug 2015
It's a while since I watched it. I remember that I liked it, but that it's basically only the visuals that stand out. I need to re-watch it sometime.
nothing.
Jul 8, 2016 4:07 AM

Mar 2014
I feel as though the creators wanted -- and succeeded -- at insulting our intelligence.
Jul 18, 2016 5:09 PM

Jan 2016
tbh here. just finished watching it now.. dont really know how i feel, empty? depressed? .. after watching it, i reall expected something different, but even tho, it was good enough for me, wasnt the tear shreds, but was some tear at the end of first episode, n the second one. during the third one i was just felt empty, more n less i didnt know wha to feel.. i mean, half was shocked how it ended, the disappointment in true love... that sucked.. but also kind felt wrong movie at the wrong time. for me tho. idk..
But the Animation was really just incredibly beautiful,, snot much fan of the sound but it was sweet, very tragically, slice of life sound, specially the ED.. The character, was a interesting couple.. again dont know how i feel n felt about em. can agree on something i read here, The background, details and everything around it is just amazing animation , but its as if the animator didnt feel like drawing faces.. i mean like lazy-man job on the characters...
Dont wanna go on the story sense i didnt feel anything about it.. ish might wanna watch it again in the future.. then we will see ^^

Well did i enjoy it.. well.. yeah.. kinda did even tho, i mean true love in the beginning n forgetting about it, 2 episode, kinda hit me the most. "why are u so nice to me...??" have heard that one before,.. but who knows what on his mind during that episode.. uhuhuhu

Overall.,, Think i only can do a 6.4 /10 (6/10 ) do felt i could give it 6.9/10 but sense its quite the wrong story for me at the wrong time.. i could not..
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Jul 25, 2016 6:03 AM

Jun 2016
Just finished it and oh my god this movie is a masterpiece no doubt.
it tells us that life isn't a fantasy place where your dreams become true,it tells us that nobody can achieve absolute happiness and life is harsh and fill with bittersweet moments like the ending scene in this movie.
Jul 29, 2016 7:36 AM

Aug 2012
I'm not sure I understood it right, but imo the end of the movie says that she has moved on while he hasn't and now that he realized (the final girl maybe wasn't her but the most important thing is that he sees this girl as her) that she hasn't waited the train/him to continue her way, he can do the same and he keeps walking.
So the end was imo a bit bitter because he was like "on hold" for so long; tho it doesn't mean I think the movie wants to tell us to move on without waiting for those we love. So I just felt a little sad for him.
Aug 18, 2016 10:54 PM
Oct 2012
I did watch this back then in 2009 or 2010, can't remember. I still remember all the plot of this movie to this day, and now I realize how hard life is.

Basically, this movie is made to prepare you and get you ready for the worst. I mean, You meet the best girl, your whole world turns around her. Then, some day, some shit happens and you're away from her. Hoping you can meet with her again you go through a lot of stuff, meet other people, go on with your life. You probably had a good girl by your side for a moment, but you don't care about her because you still want your best girl. Life goes on, and you still don't get reunited with your best girl. Life goes on.

If you get lucky and find your best girl once again, good for you, but life will keep rolling and maybe, PROBABLY, you will not get your chance to meet once again with your best girl. So at the end, the decision to stick to that hope, of one day getting reunited with your best girl, will make you loose your time. Maybe, probably you will not loose your time and you will be rewarded. Who knows.

So at the end, I felt bummed. Bummed that Life is so damn hard if you stick with your feelings. Because you could be loosing you time. Or maybe not. Arrgggg I hate life.
Aug 19, 2016 5:47 PM

Apr 2016
I felt hopeful at first. To see Akari and Takaki write letters to each other, and then have one person make so much effort to meet while the other person waited... It really was hopeful and idealistic. Yet, in the second episode, I was a little conflicted because Kanae liked Takaki and he really was kind, but he just never looked at her... Yet, in the third episode, it was tragic in its own way to see Takaki and his former girlfriend so lonely, yet Akari was happy.. The movie gave me a realistic look at the different stages of life. So I don't particularly love this movie (I did have my expectations after seeing how perfect The Garden of Words is), but I do appreciate it.
Sep 5, 2016 2:55 AM

Dec 2015
This was an interesting movie to say the least, I decided I would watch a few Shinkai works in anticipation of Kimi No wa and was quite surprised by the ending.

There were quite a few warnings of it being a teary movie and I really felt that during the first segment but unfortunately the atmosphere dropped towards the end.

The monologues combined with the colour scheme and art was absolutely, beautiful painting such a tragic yet beautiful background when Tataki and Akari got together after the agonising delays.

2nd part was alright although they over-emphasised Tataki's narrow-sighted feelings for Akari imo, he was like ice when with Kanae. Then we get to the 3rd part which I felt was too rushed for a "perfect ending."

Shinkai was brave to insist on a more "realistic" ending demonstrating how fickle love can be. Unfortunately, it left me feeling unsettled which sucks after finishing a movie.

Hotorobi no Mori e is my perfect example of the "perfect" romantic movie pulling off a real tear-jerker ending that is both tragic and sweet.
~
Sep 6, 2016 10:10 AM

Oct 2015
For some reason I had a feeling the end was gonna make you feel "empty" especially after watching this one anime (cant remember the name) that I watched a week earlier that had a version of this kind of ending. Reality sucks doesn't it.
Yo Pi'Erre
Sep 20, 2016 7:21 PM
Apr 2016
I hate so much that end but it's a beatiful piece of art
Oct 2, 2016 3:05 PM

Feb 2016
Exhalant said:
I didn't feel anything much at the end. At the ending, I literally said "o lol thats it?"
I think the movie is completely overrated. The movie was average at best... it was just so bland. What was sad about it though, that's what I fail to understand. I know real life isn't necessarily interesting and things like that happen etc... but it left me so empty. I was really let down tbh, probably because I expected so much.

They don't get to be together because of distance blah blah blah. It didn't make me care enough about the characters, actually. Halfway through the movie, I almost didn't care tbh.

The animation was a redeeming aspect though. But I was still pissed because the background/setting looked so beautiful but the characters themselves looked like crap, as if the animators didn't feel like drawing faces.

Exactly, I mean it was sad, but a whole hour just to show that kind of a story? When it was around 40 mins in I thought that the real punch is gonna come soon(her dying/rendered incapable cause of him, suicide or smth original). But it did not, and the only themes it covered was distance between humans and the importance of courage? The animation was awesome and the soundtrack was nice tho.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Oct 7, 2016 10:02 PM

Sep 2014
watched this movie a long time ago and thought it was boring. I got lured in by the pretty art (watched trailers on youtube) & I agree with one of the posters above, the character designs were ugly (and even uglier in Voices of a Distant Star). I watched the dub since I loved Johnny Bosch's voice but even he couldn't save this movie. Also hated that last song near the end of the movie, it sounded cheesy and totally ruined the mood for me. This movie's so overrated, the only good thing about this was the art/pretty backgrounds. I cry easily at other movies/dramas but not this one, I think Mamoru Hosoda's films were way better (I actually felt like crying in The Girl Who Leapt Through Time when mc was going through that final time leap with Kawaranai Mono playing in the background) somehow I also ended up reading the manga version of this movie and it was actually better/less annoying than the movie.
sunsetoceanOct 7, 2016 10:06 PM

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Oct 7, 2016 10:08 PM

Apr 2015
When i just finished watching i was like " meh yeah okay" i felt it was okay at the start then i explained it to my friend and surprisingly i started to like it..however the symbolism of time and distance and delt with beautifully. Love differs for everyone i guess after watching this movie.
Oct 10, 2016 6:16 AM

May 2012
I did not feel anything. It is one of the most boring anime I ever seen. Noting really happened in those 3 episodes.
Oct 10, 2016 6:18 AM

Jul 2015
if i felt anything it was disappointment in the movie.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Oct 10, 2016 7:05 AM

Mar 2016
Well

They tried

And I did like it, but melodrama is something anime doesn't do well and this is a prime example
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Oct 11, 2016 8:02 AM

Sep 2013
It was good, felt really sad. Akira moved on and Takaki well broke up with that black haired girl from workplace. Akira seems happy but the look in takaki eyes Seema so empty. He shuldve just forgot about Akira and moved on with black haired cutie.
Buy ah well..the message the makers wanted to give was well received.
8/10
Oct 11, 2016 8:59 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Felt like it was a waste of time
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 13, 2016 7:02 AM

Sep 2013
I found it pretty bland on my first watch too. Then, I rewatched it after his most recent movie, which was by the way a complete bummer, and found it profound and hard hitting.

I dunno, maybe it's the effect of leaving school and drifting away and this agonizing realization that people whom I thought would be with me for life are becoming total strangers. Yeah, you got it. I'm sort of in the angsty moody phase right now. But then, this movie is painfully accurate in conveying the whole ambience of nostalgia and loss of people afflicted by this particular condition.

On the whole, i can understand people who find it a bland and pointless investment because of the loose, inconclusive ending, character development and lack of a cohesive plot thread. But rewatching it without expecting anything of that sort has given me good insight into both the creator's intentions and even myself. That's not something I can say for many movies. The crux of the film, as I now realize, is more visceral than your typical straightforward anime. You have to watch it with that mindset, and from experience, this particular mindset just cannot be turned on and off like a bulb. Good for you if you're in that mood.

.....Or not, because that's not a very good mood to be in.
DeigerOct 13, 2016 7:09 AM
- My creativity is plummeting. -
Oct 25, 2016 7:37 AM

Mar 2013
Pensive sadness ;_;
Nov 6, 2016 8:54 AM

Apr 2016
i hate romance movies, after watching this, i hate them more.
Feb 28, 2017 11:19 PM

Mar 2015
Terribly depressed but at least Your Name had a happy ending
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Feb 28, 2017 11:23 PM

Dec 2015
That it was super boring, also I didn't like the story.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 28, 2017 11:26 PM

Feb 2017
I guess I was dissapointed mostly since they didn't get together and it kind of pissed me off that the male main character was fine with not seeing the female main character ever again. It's also sad how she wasn't there when the train passed by at the end, but at least the movie is realistic.
Feb 28, 2017 11:49 PM

Oct 2016
joe_g7 said:
It was shit and tried too hard to be emotional with pointless words,
Feb 28, 2017 11:55 PM

Dec 2015
SeasonADay said:
joe_g7 said:
It was shit and tried too hard to be emotional with pointless words,
I guess you can put it that way as well xD
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Mar 30, 2017 5:43 PM
Mar 2017
In itself it's a pretty good movie if you like genré.
But it wasn't that far of from my own life experiences, so if I wanted to be a little sad and a little depressed I might as well had made a movie about my own life.
Not too far off....
Apr 21, 2017 7:55 PM
Sep 2009
I felt nothing really. I would have rather had some super sad reunion there in the city with her rejecting him since it has been so long and she was already engaged and stuff, but nothing, we literally got nothing.
May 15, 2017 10:38 PM
Jan 2015
First time I watched it, I was 15. I thought it was boring at times and I felt really bad for Kanae. As I got older and rewatched it, I grew to appreciate it more and more. Surely, Tohno and Akari were separated by distance, but the ultimate force separating the two became time itself.
People move on, lives change as one's landscape shifts as well. Tohno's inability to change and cling to the past reminds me of myself, constantly grasping the memories of my halcyon days in middle school.

While I can see parts of Tohno in myself, I cannot believe anyone can cling on to a love for that long, let alone through adolescence. After reading the manga, I felt even worse for Kanae and especially Risa. Risa suffered because of Tohno's inability of moving on.

Looking back, I think this is Shinkai's magnum opus (will have to rewatch Kimi no Na wa. a few more times to let that movie sit in my head, will likely surpass 5CMPS), and it's beautiful yet somber and heavily grounded by realism.

Hoshi no Kodomo is too similar to a Miyazaki movie, Garden of Words' story is even less believable than Tohno, The Place Promised Our Early Days is too raw and lacked refinery, and Hoshi no Koe is Shinkai's first work and also lacks refinery.

Kimi no Na wa. is a fantastic movie, although I agree that it's a bit overrated, but for good reason. Until I rewatch Kimi no Na Wa., 5CMPS will be my favorite Shinkai work, along with the manga.
May 16, 2017 2:33 AM
May 2016
SolaceFZ said:
First time I watched it, I was 15. I thought it was boring at times and I felt really bad for Kanae. As I got older and rewatched it, I grew to appreciate it more and more. Surely, Tohno and Akari were separated by distance, but the ultimate force separating the two became time itself.
People move on, lives change as one's landscape shifts as well. Tohno's inability to change and cling to the past reminds me of myself, constantly grasping the memories of my halcyon days in middle school.

While I can see parts of Tohno in myself, I cannot believe anyone can cling on to a love for that long, let alone through adolescence. After reading the manga, I felt even worse for Kanae and especially Risa. Risa suffered because of Tohno's inability of moving on.

Looking back, I think this is Shinkai's magnum opus (will have to rewatch Kimi no Na wa. a few more times to let that movie sit in my head, will likely surpass 5CMPS), and it's beautiful yet somber and heavily grounded by realism.

Hoshi no Kodomo is too similar to a Miyazaki movie, Garden of Words' story is even less believable than Tohno, The Place Promised Our Early Days is too raw and lacked refinery, and Hoshi no Koe is Shinkai's first work and also lacks refinery.

Kimi no Na wa. is a fantastic movie, although I agree that it's a bit overrated, but for good reason. Until I rewatch Kimi no Na Wa., 5CMPS will be my favorite Shinkai work, along with the manga.

"I cannot believe anyone can cling on to a love for that long" and do nothing about it.

I recently rewatched and reread the anime and manga again, to understand it but Tohno still annoys me, He`s trully stuck and yet did not do anything to fix it and find his happiness, he simply let time pass by, If a person truly have that kind emotional devotion to someone. I believe they would go extra mile for that someone and that`s where Tohno really failed.

I created a thread here about how I think tohno is a sh*tty character and hoping a rewatch wil change my opinion but it didnt. lol
May 19, 2017 6:11 PM
Jan 2015
BladeMemories said:

"I cannot believe anyone can cling on to a love for that long" and do nothing about it.

I recently rewatched and reread the anime and manga again, to understand it but Tohno still annoys me, He`s trully stuck and yet did not do anything to fix it and find his happiness, he simply let time pass by, If a person truly have that kind emotional devotion to someone. I believe they would go extra mile for that someone and that`s where Tohno really failed.

I created a thread here about how I think tohno is a sh*tty character and hoping a rewatch wil change my opinion but it didnt. lol

That's the only thing that I didn't really find believable about this movie.
Everything else is amazing.
May 19, 2017 6:14 PM

Oct 2014
I was bored out of my mind when watching this
I get what shinkai is going for with this super realistic style and themes of love,passage of time and separation,but god are these characters boring and lifeless.
No metter how much i could relate to the scenarios i could not force myself to feel nothing,this character are lifelss robots that only serve to monologue the sows themes,i could feel nothing when watching them
May 19, 2017 6:23 PM

Aug 2014
I felt like I moved 189 meters from my seat.

Otherwise not much. I didn't hate it or find it especially boring, but it's not my type of movie.
Sieg Zeon!
May 31, 2017 10:25 AM

Apr 2015
I feel extreme boredom, the movie was bland, with lots of pointless elements.

The first episode was good.

Now the second one... It's clear that it was to develop the main character a bit and then tell a story about the girl and her love that ended up with...nothing. The 3rd one was just a boring ending that just briefly summed up their life as adults, 'amazing".

To everyone who don't know, a movie is one of the media that is only good when it creates emotions or gives you some knowledge. The closest thing you can get from the movie is probably some nostalgia of your childhood love or maybe relevance to any of the characters. Thing is, that's about it.

So people either like it, because they think it's some kind of true romance (which is not). To prove it, just think about how coincidental events are. Snow storm just the day they wanted to meet in ep 1 and a broken scooter + rocket launch + confession the same day in ep 2. So realistic, right? And the second group is the people who dislike the movie for various reasons as always.
Jan 25, 2018 7:15 AM
Dec 2017
Clear 10/10 for me.
Beautiful, really.
From the art to the soundtrack it has amazing presentation for a pretty simple story. Shows that a well-made movie doesn't need to have a big, grand story if it's presented well.
FelleBanan_ygsrSep 27, 2020 3:43 AM
Jan 28, 2018 6:02 PM

Dec 2017
I'm not sure. Confused, I guess.

I was really hoping for this to be another feels train work of art like Kimi no Nawa and Koe no Katachi were for me, a story about the love between two individuals.

While the ending was pretty nice, I just felt like the entire film itself was just very lacking. I felt there was barely any chemistry between the two main characters, and the second episode felt a bit filler-ish. I just felt like the main relationship wasn't developed enough for me to truly care about it.

I wanted to like it alot more than I did, but it just didn't do it for me. 7/10 for me, it was good but nothing truly special in my opinion.
Feb 6, 2018 6:09 PM

Dec 2016
One of the most boring experiences I've ever had not only with anime, but with movies in general.

Honestly staring how your clothes spin inside your washing machine is more interesting than this nothingness of a movie.
Feb 24, 2018 1:21 AM

Jun 2011
IRIS-T said:

I get that the manga is based on the novelization of the movie, but the manga puts the anime to shame! I felt emotional on the first part, but parts 2 and 3 felt so empty and pointless! The manga was an emotional ride of heartbreak and doomed love. I wish I could see an alternate movie based on the manga, so that all the characters have depth!
Feb 24, 2018 1:40 AM

Jul 2017
"oh, people fall out of love as people change along with time." though the plot seemed plain and boring to me, i thought of all the people who would've been impacted by it cause they've experienced something similar before. it didn't seem so boring and plain after that.
Aug 23, 2018 3:41 AM

Aug 2018
5 Centimeter per Second is the first anime movie that gave me real impact to my soul(?).. i feel empty, hopeless and realize how adulthood loves works.
Sep 10, 2018 4:16 PM

Feb 2018
Yahh long time not watch makoto shinkai again,last i watch makoto shinkai film/anime ks Shikioriori
Sep 10, 2018 4:17 PM

Feb 2018
I feel Exposses,Sadness,and shocking byousoku have big Impact if after watched this movie
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter General Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Faust721 - Jul 19, 2007

776 by drried »»
Apr 14, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Apr 30, 2007

104 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 10:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.