Forum Settings
Forums
Durarara!! SH (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 11, 2016 8:20 PM

May 2014
LN readers this is for you. Because the original DRRR! is the only naritaverse LN I can't find translated, is the anime adaptation suitable enough (so far) that I could read these afterwards and be fine? If you know where all 13 lns translated are, dropping a link would be nice.
Feb 13, 2016 10:01 AM
Oct 2008
You can start Durarara!! SH after Ketsu is over at the end of March. I wouldn't advise you to start it before since it will include spoilers for the Durarara!! ending.
As for the Durarara!! LNs they are licensed by Yen ON, so you can purchase them officially now, if you want to. Although as of now, only the first two volumes have been published. So some of the fan translations have already been taken down and the other will probably follow soon enough. The fan translations also were never finished, so volume 2, 11 and 12 were never fully translated into English before.

Feb 14, 2016 5:09 PM

May 2014
Thanks, that was my plan, I was worried the adaptation was cutting stuff.

I own the first two (like the drrr trash I am) I just wish they'd get published faster.
Feb 15, 2016 4:05 PM
Oct 2008
Ah, okay, I understand. For the most part it shouldn't be a problem. However, the adaption did indeed cut stuff, including a big part of Durarara!! volume 9 and everything regarding the existence of Tsukumoya Shinichi. Since both of those elements are important for Durarara!! SH, you might wand to read at least volume 9 of the Durarara!! light novel before. Not sure how to go about Shinichi, since he appears in almost each light novel volume since Durarara!! volume 4.

And that's actually a good thing, i think :D
Thank you for supporting the series.
While that's true, I think it's better for the success of the English release if they continue this pacing.
Aki-kunFeb 15, 2016 4:27 PM

Mar 6, 2016 4:59 PM
Jul 2018
if it actually interests you, sure....
its basically the same shit over again, though. same premise with three high school kids, girl, and two guys.

i dropped it for personal reasons, and the fact that it just made me yawn, though.
Apr 10, 2016 11:02 PM
Jul 2018
Actually, I have changed my mind completely. Don't read it. It's a mediocre festival of bore.

Nov 21, 2016 9:59 PM

Dec 2009
clandestine said:
Actually, I have changed my mind completely. Don't read it. It's a mediocre festival of bore.

Thanks for sharing. It was a great read, haha.
I'd love to hear other people's opinion but I wouldn't be surprised as similar main characters like the typical "next generation" type of stories are usually boring because they're unoriginal and cliché as fuck.

But then again I'm a little skeptical ... sure I do hate the fact that the characters of Durarara are rarely involved, especially when the synopsis talks about how one of the main characters of SH is trying to find Celty's head (when ... Celty honestly doesn't give a fuck about it anymore and is happy in love with Shinra) ... so the continuation of her head sounds fucking stupid ...
... And from the sounds of it, it doesn't seem from what you've read in the first volume that there's any progress of Durarara so ... truly I don't see the point of making that kind of continuation. ... Although you'd think sooner or later it'll get to that by presenting the new characters first ... but for them to be very similar to the original trio sounds horrible too ...

Yeah, I'd love to hear another opinion of after Volume 2.
But I gotta admit you probably sound right of Durarara SH being boring. The red flags are all there which I pointed out above.

... Anyone else cares to give their opinion or details of the other Volumes? Heck, how many are there so far?
Nov 21, 2016 10:06 PM
Jul 2018
waalex11 said:
clandestine said:

I'd love to hear other people's opinion but I wouldn't be surprised as similar main characters like the typical "next generation" type of stories are usually boring because they're unoriginal and cliché as fuck.

But then again I'm a little skeptical ... sure I do hate the fact that the characters of Durarara are rarely involved, especially when the synopsis talks about how one of the main characters of SH is trying to find Celty's head (when ... Celty honestly doesn't give a fuck about it anymore and is happy in love with Shinra) ... so the continuation of her head sounds fucking stupid ...
... And from the sounds of it, it doesn't seem from what you've read in the first volume that there's any progress of Durarara so ... truly I don't see the point of making that kind of continuation. ... Although you'd think sooner or later it'll get to that by presenting the new characters first ... but for them to be very similar to the original trio sounds horrible too ...

But I gotta admit you probably sound right of Durarara SH being boring. The red flags are all there which I pointed out above.

... Anyone else cares to give their opinion or details of the other Volumes? Heck, how many are there so far?

Look, aside from that, I don't get along with the young lady who translates SH either. If you want to know an extended and secondary reason, there you go. And I don't want to think about her, nor speak of her. She makes me nauseous. Do not care to elaborate, let's just leave is at that.

I'm not reading further beyond volume 1 regardless because I have been pitted in dissatisfaction since the unsavory conclusion of the last volume leaving me a lasting pain at the pit of my stomach. I hated the ending. I hated how unevenly some of the character development went. I moreover hated the anime adaptation of the last few volumes, which on their own were declining. It was once one of my favorite shows / series and conceptually remains near the top of my list because it was a great premise and well done series, for a while. Then it slipped into a bit of a decline and never managed to fully unfurl itself from that rut entirely.

My embittered attitude has obviously transferred to SH and has definitely impacted my general opinion, but my opinion towards it has remained unchanged. The only thing I'm happy about is that some of the more minor characters seem to have been given focus, but that does not necessarily overtake the glaring flaws. Moreover, if my fav is not going to return or stick around, I'll be damned to keep reading so masochistically as if to keep expecting some resurgence from him, because the life's already been sucked out of me since volume 13 and ketsu.
removed-userNov 21, 2016 10:11 PM
Nov 21, 2016 10:14 PM

Dec 2009
clandestine said:
waalex11 said:

Look, aside from that, I don't get along with the young lady who translates SH either. If you want to know an extended and secondary reason, there you go. And I don't want to think about her, she makes me nauseous.

I'm not reading further beyond volume 1 regardless because I have been pitted in dissatisfaction since the unsavory conclusion of the last volume leaving me a lasting pain at the pit of my stomach.
I see. I only watched the anime and ... it was great for what it was. 8/10. I finally completed it yesterday.

It's great but it's not exactly my type of amazing in story/taste. But like I said it is great for what it is.
I kinda feel like it might stay as a one time great (sorta mind fuck) of an experience, with the mixture of mysteries and characters all coming together somehow in the end. Not sure I'd want to go through that long ride of mystery again. Maybe one day.

I don't know if that makes sense but. Personally I liked the ending, 'didn't hate it. And I wasn't left with a must continuation. To be honest it's fine the way it is but ... I do admit I wouldn't mind an Epilogue of the characters. ... So I feel I might understand your side of hating the ending.
... Because even though it was a good ending ... I don't know, it's still leaves you with a sorta ... non existent mind fuck?... Nevermind, I don't know what I'm trying to say.

Somehow I don't mind not having more, (unlike some stories) but I want some kind of different closure. I'd like an Epilogue why not. Not that I need it though. Well ... as you can see. The story itself and ending leaves you ... wanting more somehow. Whatever that means.
Anyway, haha.
Dec 4, 2020 2:48 AM

Sep 2010
I think you should read Wednesdays Smiling with Otsuberu second then SH third and of course Durarara first

I also believe Baccano, Vamp, Yozakura Quartet, Etsusa Oohashi, Hariyama-san, Kuroha to Nijisuke, Red Dragon (Chaos Dragon), Fate/Strange Fake, and Orihara Izaya to, Yuuyake wo are good read as well
Dec 4, 2020 8:35 AM

May 2014
AkatsukiUlquiora said:
I think you should read Wednesdays Smiling with Otsuberu second then SH third and of course Durarara first

Does Wednesdays Smiling with Otsuberu have a translation? I actually own the novel in JP but it's pretty hard for my skill level.
Dec 4, 2020 3:21 PM

Sep 2010
WitchJacqueline said:
AkatsukiUlquiora said:

Does Wednesdays Smiling with Otsuberu have a translation? I actually own the novel in JP but it's pretty hard for my skill level.

Sadly no one has translated the novel you can use an app it may sux because it’s not very reliable but ppl may understand what it supposed to mean
Feb 20, 2023 1:04 PM
Feb 2022
Won't they adapt this one as well, or there's not enough material?
Sep 17, 2023 1:14 PM
Aug 2017
Reply to DavidM_27
DavidM_27 said:

I'm hoping they do someday just so I can rewatch the whole thing all over

More topics from this board

» what's up w/ izaya

hauntdead - Feb 24, 2015

16 by Mareep-chan »»
Jul 7, 2020 5:53 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.