Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 21, 2009 7:15 PM
Sep 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yeah, I kinda knew what was coming the moment I saw the Soyokaze next to the star. Didn't expect the solar flare to wipe them out, but it makes more sense than the entire fleet being pulled in by the star's gravitational field.
First casualty of the show, too. Things just got a little darker, huh?
KinetaNov 25, 2012 10:49 AM
Just my two cents.
Feb 17, 2010 11:32 AM

Nov 2009
Stubborn he was, that Admiral Donan. But at least he died thinking Soyokaze is destroyed. R.I.P.
And have you seen Tylor's face when he was listening to the damage report before they started performing space jumps? He knows how to make silly faces, no doubt about that :)
Jun 30, 2011 10:42 AM

Apr 2009
Pure dumb luck my ass, that was just dumb and inconsistent. Although I still believe in luck in everything anyway. :P

Donan's ship can figure out where Soyokaze's random warp exit point is (quantum probabilities and high level mathematics there) and they can follow after it but not the trajectory of their weapons (given all other considerations, that's just ballistics) subject to the gravity of the local star. Were they aiming their guns manually with all the gunners cross-eyed or something?

Aren't ships in this series have shields, what happened to Admiral Donan's ships shields? They could have escaped that solar prominence or at least minimized the damage if they have it, unless of course, Raalgon doesn't deploy shields on their ships or they have a very radical military doctrine from the UPSF. Soyokaze's old but it still had shields, Tylor yelled for it as 'barrier' before Donan knocked it out of commission at the start of the engagement. With that barrier gone, Soyokaze should have been scrap heap by the time Yamamoto even yelled for damage reports under heavy fire from the enemy.

storm-12 said:
And have you seen Tylor's face when he was listening to the damage report before they started performing space jumps? He knows how to make silly faces, no doubt about that :)

Yeah he looks like an idiot. Sorry I tend to get serious when it comes to space battles so I end speculating this and that, and since I keep forgetting this series is a comedy. >_<
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 4, 2013 5:59 PM

Jan 2011
If the Raalgons have a weapon that knocks out shields that easily, they might not deploy them for military purposes, plus the shields may inhibit outgoing fire requiring playing peek-a-boo to engage in combat (not a problem for Tylor as he doesn't intend to fight). I thought about the possibility of using a solar flare as soon as they appeared but was wondering how they would dodge the incoming missiles to allow them to initiate the flare. It doesn't look to be that big a plot hole. Since Tylor was making random jumps, I was expecting them to end up in an asteroid field or the debris of a ringed planet in order to escape, but instead they actually killed off a named character.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Mar 5, 2014 7:23 AM

Jun 2013
"WHy DId You Summon Them Back Without Consulting with Me!?" Fuji can not just answer that to make sure they don use possible evidence they found...not that there is any...Imagine his partner in crime reaction if Fuji had just aswered to cover up my earlier crimes. XD

Admiral Donan....Well Rest In Peace... Only Courtesy and Kindness that Dom could shown him or even help him, was that small White Lie...Tough I knew when they got next to That Star that something like that or something similar would happen...'

good episode tough, Admirals harakiri situation was hilarious as ever
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Jun 29, 2014 2:04 PM

Feb 2012
After they warped to the star, I figured they would use it in some way. Wow.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 14, 2015 5:48 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Tylor, the luckiest man alive. I loved the reaction of Yamamoto to his captain's "You always win by running away"
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 20, 2015 10:46 PM

Aug 2013
Tylor the master of convenience.
Nov 7, 2017 9:54 AM

Apr 2013
First named character to die. I feel a bit bad for the general too, just like Tylor does.

great episode, and i liked the fact that we saw Dom and the general's viewpoint of the battle and the subsequent chase. Thus basically making us wonder alongwith them if Tylor and crew was planning something or just simply running.

I mean, of course he was, but they didn't know that.
Sep 16, 2018 12:38 PM
Sep 2007
Their ships (both Empire's and Soyokaze) must be really heat resistant if they were close enough to the star to hit it. As far I know, at that close range metal should melt and every living thing should burn if not outright evaporate. Not to mention the radiation... Yeah I know, expecting physics in anime...
Apr 11, 2020 6:50 PM

Mar 2015
It looked like a solar flare that struck the enemy ships (caused by the enemy fire striking that sun) and solar flares can be unbelievably immense, so they might not have been close enough for their hulls to be effected by the star's surface.

This was a good episode! CPT Tyler's 'legend' has been cemented and those two admirals are going to die of strokes before they successfully get rid of Tyler! :)
The sword that takes life gives life
May 8, 2020 11:08 AM

Jul 2015
Already 13 episodes in of watching an idiot being a captain and it still hasn't gone boring or anything

Hold on...I thought idiots couldn't catch colds

Aug 30, 2020 8:46 AM

Jun 2017
One of things I appreciate about this show is it's honest good natured-ness. It's a comedy about war, so it's only natural that there will be violence, but it never really makes their enemies death the joke itself. Unless you count that terrorist in episode 2. He's probably dead, although they never really got around to explaining what happened to him (or his blond colleague).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Musekinin Kanchou Tylor Episode 23 Discussion

Beatnik - May 29, 2008

34 by xthewarwithinx »»
Apr 9, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Musekinin Kanchou Tylor Episode 6 Discussion

storm-12 - Feb 7, 2010

9 by wallus81 »»
Mar 14, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Musekinin Kanchou Tylor Episode 5 Discussion

storm-12 - Feb 7, 2010

10 by wallus81 »»
Mar 14, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Musekinin Kanchou Tylor Episode 1 Discussion

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

18 by apbooyah »»
Sep 30, 2023 5:09 PM

Poll: » Musekinin Kanchou Tylor Episode 4 Discussion

ScrewBall - Dec 14, 2009

19 by Kristiwazhere »»
Sep 26, 2023 10:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.