Forum Settings
Forums

Additional Cast of 'High☆Speed!: Free! Starting Days' Announced

New
Sep 20, 2015 11:12 PM

Jul 2009
Kyoto Animation has updated the official website of the High☆Speed!: Free! Starting Days anime movie with a new theatrical poster and additional cast. The movie opens in theaters in Japan on December 5, 2015.

The movie is an adaptation of Kouji Ooji's High☆Speed! light novels, which received an honorable mention in the 2011 Kyoto Animation Awards. It serves as a prequel to the 2013 TV series Free!, which was animated based on the setting of Ooji's novels. The newly announced cast will voice other members of Iwatobi Middle School's swimming club.

Cast
Asahi Shiina: Toshiyuki Toyonaga (Durarara!!)
Ikuya Kirishima: Kouki Uchiyama (Amagi Brilliant Park)
Natsuya Kirishima: Kenji Nojima (High School DxD)
Nao Serizawa: Satoshi Hino (Shakugan no Shana)

Source: Official site
myanimelistllcFeb 11, 2016 1:40 AM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Sep 20, 2015 11:13 PM

Jul 2012
Oh cool, I'm familiar with all four of them. Nice to have more boys!
Sep 20, 2015 11:37 PM

Nov 2011
Somewhat excited about.

It's been awhile since Free ended so...this will please the fans.
Hope for a speedy BD release date.
Sep 20, 2015 11:50 PM

Mar 2014
Recognized all of them

This is going to be nice
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 21, 2015 12:14 AM

Aug 2015
i can see fan girls screaming
Sep 21, 2015 1:36 AM

Mar 2013
More boys can't hurt :3

Sep 21, 2015 4:22 AM
May 2007
OLDCODEX for theme song.
Sep 21, 2015 5:28 AM

Jul 2012
Shadow-Chan said:
OLDCODEX for theme song.

God bless.

MayukaSep 27, 2015 12:54 AM
Sep 21, 2015 8:14 AM
May 2012
Awesome.
Sep 21, 2015 8:41 AM
Jan 2012
They just had to get Kanye-sama's voice actor in this.
Sep 21, 2015 9:15 AM

Jul 2014
So excited about this! But where's Rei? I read the light novels, so I know he wasn't part of them but the staff said they'll include him somehow, I just hope they give him more than 5 minutes of screen time.

Sep 21, 2015 12:42 PM
Jul 2018
Sometimes, I don't understand people who ALWAYS complain when bishounen anime is announced. I mean, why you are posting? I don't understand myself, if I hate a show I will never check the news about it. And there are many Ecchi anime and Hentai OVA's! Plus GL anime is coming this year. Please haters, leave us alone. We get our shows often. Anyway, I'm so glad, more sexy men asses are welcomed! But it's the last movie T^T
Then no free! Forever :(

Shadow-Chan said:
OLDCODEX for theme song.

YAAY! IM HAPPY ^^
Sep 21, 2015 2:47 PM

Jul 2014
RanceyPants said:
korogoro said:
So excited about this! But where's Rei? I read the light novels, so I know he wasn't part of them but the staff said they'll include him somehow, I just hope they give him more than 5 minutes of screen time.

Perhaps He'll Show Up In A Tournament? I Am NOT A Rei Fan By Any Means But I Kinda Want Him To Show Up.

Oh, I'm not exactly a Rei fan, I like him, he's cute but Makoto is definitely best boy, I love him and I love the fact that this movie will be all about him and Haru (and Asahi and Ikuya).

Sep 21, 2015 3:37 PM

Dec 2012
Remember when Kyoani was good?

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Sep 21, 2015 4:06 PM

Apr 2015
Nice casting; looking forward to it.
Sep 21, 2015 4:51 PM

Jul 2012
Infatuate said:

Yeah, Summer 2013 and Summer 2015.
When Free! came out.

RanceyPants said:
korogoro said:

Perhaps He'll Show Up In A Tournament? I Am NOT A Rei Fan By Any Means But I Kinda Want Him To Show Up.

He's gonna show up I hope. There were sneak peaks of his middle school character design on Twitter.
Sep 21, 2015 5:11 PM

Dec 2012
mayukachan said:

Yeah, Summer 2013 and Summer 2015.
When Free! came out.

An accurate answer, if my question was "when did kyoani start its seamless downfall?"

But that was not what I said.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Sep 21, 2015 5:29 PM

Jul 2014
mayukachan said:

He's gonna show up I hope. There were sneak peaks of his middle school character design on Twitter.

Yes! Thanks! I saw them and they look awesome! All of them look great!

Sep 21, 2015 6:18 PM
May 2015
Infatuate said:

was before they made free
Sep 21, 2015 7:05 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Yes! More Kouki Uchiyama!! I'm so glad that he's in so many anime now. I fell in love with his voice back in 2008 in Soul Eater. Props to him for all his current success.
p r o f i l e 👀
Sep 22, 2015 1:42 AM
Jul 2015
Naruleach said:
Yes! More Kouki Uchiyama!! I'm so glad that he's in so many anime now. I fell in love with his voice back in 2008 in Soul Eater. Props to him for all his current success.

That's exactly what I though XD His voice is freaking cute!!!
I had a crush on his voice when I heard Gin's voice (Hotarubi), then I checked his profile and OMG he voice Enma Kozato, Soul, Natsuno Yuuki, Meruem, Roxas, Yoshino Takigawa!!!
I dont care much about seiyuu expect Kouki Uchiyama, he should have more and more roles XD
Sep 22, 2015 1:48 AM

Jun 2013
Amazing, I love the cast + Oldcodex.
Cant wait.
Sep 22, 2015 4:18 AM

Jul 2012
nice, I'm familiar with a few of them so that's cool
also lmao @ y'all here to just complain about the "yaoi fan" pandering like.. ok.. bye then..
Sep 22, 2015 6:00 PM

Sep 2012
Why are people giving attention to the painfully obvious bait...
Sep 23, 2015 9:01 AM

Jul 2012
Red_Keys said:
Why are people giving attention to the painfully obvious bait...

I almost feel proud
Sep 23, 2015 1:30 PM

May 2014
Oh that swimming anime :o
Sep 24, 2015 2:18 PM

Jul 2013
I can't wait! I hope KyoAni also releases at least one OVA or Special about their lives in college.
Sep 25, 2015 6:12 AM

Mar 2015
I really REALLY liked the original Free! series.

But I just don't get the hype for this movie.

I mean who exactly cares for the childhood of the boys? I don't see the appeal for the fujoshi audience either. They are kids in this movie. So no muscle-moe fest this time.

Prequels seldom work for me. As I saw the announcement for this movie I was reminded of a Patton Oswalt sketch about George Lucas and his Star Wars Prequels:

George Lucas: You like Darth Vader?

Patton Oswalt: I fucking LOVE Darth Vader, with the cape, the helmet, force-chocking people. That's awesome!

George Lucas: You got to see him in the movie. AS A LITTLE KID. And then he's taken away from his mom and he's really sad.

Patton Oswalt: .....

George Lucas: You like Boba Fett?

Patton Oswalt: I fucking LOVE Boba Fett. With the jet pack, a bounty hunter, killing people...

George Lucas: You got to see him in the movie. AS A LITTLE KID. And then his father dies and he's very sad.

That's what I think about this whole movie and the direction of the franchise.
HelenusSep 25, 2015 6:16 AM
Sep 25, 2015 11:04 AM

Jul 2012
Helenus said:

I mean who exactly cares for the childhood of the boys? I don't see the appeal for the fujoshi audience either. They are kids in this movie. So no muscle-moe fest this time.

I don't watch Free! for the muscles, though. I genuinely care and want to know about the characters. This movie serves as a backstory for everyone and shows different events that happened before they became adults. I'm interested.

Also I read about of the High Speed Novel and it's actually pretty amazing. They don't have to be hot swimmers to have feels on my kokoro.
MayukaSep 27, 2015 12:54 AM
Sep 25, 2015 12:21 PM
Dec 2011
Helenus said:
I really REALLY liked the original Free! series.

Prequels seldom work for me. As I saw the announcement for this movie I was reminded of a Patton Oswalt sketch about George Lucas and his Star Wars Prequels:

George Lucas: You like Darth Vader?

Patton Oswalt: I fucking LOVE Darth Vader, with the cape, the helmet, force-chocking people. That's awesome!

George Lucas: You got to see him in the movie. AS A LITTLE KID. And then he's taken away from his mom and he's really sad.

Patton Oswalt: .....

George Lucas: You like Boba Fett?

Patton Oswalt: I fucking LOVE Boba Fett. With the jet pack, a bounty hunter, killing people...

George Lucas: You got to see him in the movie. AS A LITTLE KID. And then his father dies and he's very sad.

That's what I think about this whole movie and the direction of the franchise.

Oh lol @ people who think fans watched this series solely for the fanservice.I am a huge fan of Free!(also a huge shipper too lol), despite being a such fanservice show, it's quite shallow to think fans anticipate this for the muscles fest when from the start Free! is not created for the sole reason of being a fanservice show. It has plot(altho sappy and dramatic), the characters grow and there are fans who care more about the characters and story rather than some muscle-moe fests.

Besides if you have read the novels Free! adapted from, imo they are much more better than both seasons combined( I recommend you to read the manga adaptation for a start and see how amazing Free! can be without it being a half naked bishonen show with teasing of BL here and there) also from the promotion and stuffs it's quite telling that the fanservice won't be as much as the anime adaptation. And the characters and plot perspective might be taking a different route from the originals since Starting Days is directed by different person this time.

Anyway, back on the news, OLDCODEX is doing the theme song OMG YASSSSS!! more Tattsun is always good!
lilymulSep 25, 2015 12:26 PM
Sep 25, 2015 12:23 PM

Jul 2012
lilymul said:
Besides if you have read the novels Free! adapted from, imo they are much more better than both seasons combined. Also from the promotion and stuffs it's quite telling that the fanservice won't be as much as the anime adaptation. And the characters and plot perspective might be taking a different route from the originals since Starting Days is directed by different person.

I have to disagree. I think it goes like this:
Season 2 > Novels > Season 1
Mostly because S1 wasn't prepared. They only made S1 because of the petition and PV, whilst S2 had a lot of preparation and the writing improved a lot.
Sep 25, 2015 12:48 PM
Dec 2011
Ahh I think it's the preference? I still think the novels are better than both anime seasons. But I gotta agree Season 1 is quite bad well at least for me, the plot was all over the place and it's irritating how they treated some of the characters.

Season 2 could've been better Imo if they handle Sousuke character way more neat and less cliché than some injured characters(I really love Sousuke tho but little!Sousuke was amazing in the 2nd novel both as athlete and rival to Haru, so it really saddened me that Kyonani chose the injured athlete route for him in the anime)
Sep 25, 2015 1:28 PM

May 2013
mayukachan said:

Mostly because S1 wasn't prepared. They only made S1 because of the petition and PV, whilst S2 had a lot of preparation and the writing improved a lot.

That's not why they made S1. They were planning to adapt this back when High Speed won their novel competition. You can't make an entire series between the time of the PV/petition and the announcement it had.

Helenus said:

Who actually cares? People who care about the characters? obviously lmao?

there are quite a few fujoshi who are into shotas as well. inazuma 11 is popular with them for a reason you know. not everything has to be about sex either. sometimes people just like shit that doesn't appeal to their sexuality.
“Victor can’t be satisfied by anyone but me.”

Sep 25, 2015 1:58 PM

Sep 2012
mayukachan said:
Why do people like S2 so much?

I thought it was awful. All the "drama" was vague unexplained inconsequential nonsense hyped up for literally no reason. They tried to make it so high stakes and dramatic, but didn't have anywhere close to the bite to back it up, leaving it with a childish and pretentious feeling.

Characters sobbing and wailing, acting in ways that appear almost suicidal, all because "I want to swim", is like putting a 5 year old in the white house, and trying to make a legitimate drama out of it. The situation just does not fit. All the characters acted as if somebody died or something, for literally no reason.

I found it almost unbearable to watch.
Sep 25, 2015 2:14 PM

Jul 2012
Kotobukii said:
mayukachan said:

That's not why they made S1. They were planning to adapt this back when High Speed won their novel competition. You can't make an entire series between the time of the PV/petition and the announcement it had.

Point taken, but still, they didn't have the time to plan.

Red_Keys said:
mayukachan said:
Why do people like S2 so much?

I thought it was awful. All the "drama" was vague unexplained inconsequential nonsense hyped up for literally no reason. They tried to make it so high stakes and dramatic, but didn't have anywhere close to the bite to back it up, leaving it with a childish and pretentious feeling.

Characters sobbing and wailing, acting in ways that appear almost suicidal, all because "I want to swim", is like putting a 5 year old in the white house, and trying to make a legitimate drama out of it. The situation just does not fit. All the characters acted as if somebody died or something, for literally no reason.

I found it almost unbearable to watch.

I do agree that the main plot the "I want to be free, I want to swim" plot was a bit overly simple and childish but it brought some dimension to Haruka's character, which he barely had in the first place because he was one of those stoic one track minded characters.

I found the drama impacting and some, heartwarming. Maybe it was too much for you. I think it's fine for anime to over-exaggerate on little things. I also really liked their voice actors, so maybe that's why I was more moved.

I liked season 2 the most because:
It focused on every character and gave everyone a push in character development.
It focused on the third years' preparation to leave for college which is something I found rare in anime. They actually brought out the insecurities and thoughts a senior student would actually have. I was a senior when I watched it, so maybe that's why.
Sep 25, 2015 2:29 PM

Mar 2015
Well, you all write about the great novels. Fair enough!

But I care for the characters in the form I learned to like them. As young adults/high school-/college students. I know there are some impactful events in the novels. But I am not really interested in childhood stories.

I would have prefered a sequel. Not a prequel.
Sep 25, 2015 2:30 PM

Jul 2012
Helenus said:
I would have prefered a sequel. Not a prequel.

Yeah, we all did, don't worry. I love any sort of college anime so I was hoping for that. Oh well!
Since the franchise is super popular, I'm expecting more out of it.
Sep 25, 2015 10:27 PM
Mar 2010
Helenus said:

I don't watch Free! for the muscles, though. I genuinely care and want to know about the characters. This movie serves as a backstory for everyone and shows different events that happened before they became adults. I'm interested.

Also I read about of the High Speed Novel and it's actually pretty amazing. They don't have to be hot swimmers to have feels on my kokoro.[/quote]

Pretty much this. The muscles were just an added bonus for me.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Sep 26, 2015 1:01 PM

Jan 2011
Mod Note: Thread has been cleaned of the derails and replies. Repeated posting of derails hostile to a show, or the genre the show belongs to, can be considered baiting/trolling and will be dealt with accordingly.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 27, 2015 12:53 AM
Mar 2010
rodac said:
Mod Note: Thread has been cleaned of the derails and replies. Repeated posting of derails hostile to a show, or the genre the show belongs to, can be considered baiting/trolling and will be dealt with accordingly.

Thank you very much!
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Sep 27, 2015 1:21 AM
Jul 2018
phoenixalia said:
rodac said:

Thank you very much!

Yes, thanks rodac San :)

More topics from this board

» Kinema Citrus Announces 'Sayonara Lara', 'Ninja Skooler' Original Anime

DatRandomDude - May 18

17 by Tiyuen210 »»
31 minutes ago

» TV Version of 'Dead Dead Demons Dededede Destruction' Anime Movie Announced

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

15 by RobertBobert »»
2 hours ago

» 'Make Heroine ga Oosugiru!' Reveals Lead Cast, Production Staff, First Promo for Summer 2024

Vindstot - Mar 17

11 by Naruleach »»
11 hours ago

» 'Diamond no Ace: Act II' TV Anime Sequel in Production

Vindstot - May 18

20 by tinker3bellz1 »»
Yesterday, 6:58 AM

» Manga 'Hanazakari no Kimitachi e' Gets Anime

DatRandomDude - May 14

42 by mokkocchi »»
Yesterday, 5:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.