Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 14, 2015 7:52 PM

Apr 2015
I watched it a couple of months ago as I saw everyone recommending it in various threads from various sites.. And as it was only 6 episodes long, I decided to watch it. But it was an utter disappointment. People say that rewatching it many times will provide you with the true meaning.. But if going through it the first time was so difficult, how am I gonna rewatch it!?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 14, 2015 7:55 PM

Feb 2015
Don't re-watch it then.
Sep 14, 2015 7:55 PM

Jul 2015
it's a coming of age story. theres a lot distractions from the art to the characters interactions. it took me a few rewatches to figure that out.
Sep 14, 2015 7:56 PM

Oct 2012
God tier OST, fantastic art and animation and it just gets better and better with each rewatch. The plot is arguably a bit obfuscated but I think its a very simple coming of age story that's well done if you can look past some of crazy parts.

On top of that every single episode is a homage to a particular time period in Gainax's history prior to it so there is always more to glean from it by rewatching it and watching other Gainax works to pick up on some of the little easter eggs.
Sep 14, 2015 7:56 PM

Jan 2015
If watching it once was hard, why try to watch it again? You obviously didn't like it. -_-
Sep 14, 2015 8:05 PM

Feb 2013
>The Pillows
>MC with a strangely relatable character arc
>Great dub
>Haruhara Haruko
>The Pillows
>Great animation
>Reference to Daicon IV AKA one of the coolest music videos ever
>The Pillows

The real question is why don't more people like it?
Sep 14, 2015 8:06 PM

Jul 2015
A lot of viewers will tell you to re-watch since the anime is fast-paced and at the same time a whole 'wtf' moment.

If you understood the story, you don't have to watch it again. That's just basically it. They tell you to re watch since you may have forgotten something..

You can also just look back at the manga segments since that was the only thing that I had to replay most of the time.

Sep 14, 2015 8:33 PM

Jun 2014
Why do you like Death Note OP?

Anyway, jusg don't rewatch it.
Sep 14, 2015 8:53 PM

Mar 2015
Because they do. I see you're new here. Please don't join the enjoyment police.
Sep 14, 2015 8:56 PM

Jul 2013
If you're really interested then I would suggest reading some explanation of the series and then re-watching it, it should allow you to view the series in a different light.
Sep 14, 2015 9:01 PM

Apr 2015
Kruzy said:
If you're really interested then I would suggest reading some explanation of the series and then re-watching it, it should allow you to view the series in a different light.

I'm actually interested.. If reading an explanation helps, then I'll do it..
Sep 14, 2015 9:02 PM

Apr 2015
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

It hooked me like no other show has ever done.. Reason enough?
Sep 14, 2015 9:04 PM

Jun 2014
LightYagami2001 said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

It hooked me like no other show has ever done.. Reason enough?

The show hooked you aka entertained you. You got your answer.

GL with your second watch though.
Sep 14, 2015 9:14 PM

Jul 2015
LightYagami2001 said:
I'm actually interested.. If reading an explanation helps, then I'll do it..

You forgot to tell what made it hard to watch for you. Reading explanations can help if you're confused or want to tackle a show/episode analysis, but if it was mostly complaints about the plot, the characters, the pacing or anything like that (didn't watched FLCL btw), I'm not sure it would help much but it's always a plus.
It's cool to rewatch something, even if you didn't liked it much the first time. I was seriously disapointed by Texhnolyze, I gave it a 4 without feeling mean or unfair, and put it on top of my rewatch list because it's considered a masterpiece by people that I respect and who have in my opinion great taste. It's just like food, If I dislike something I'll make sure to taste it every once in a while because who knows ? I'm probably missing something delicious and it frustrates me somehow.

GL with your rewatch too but don't force yourself. There's no right choice in this case.
DeathkoSep 14, 2015 9:19 PM
Sep 14, 2015 9:20 PM

Mar 2015
Clebardman said:
You forgot to tell what made it hard to watch for you. Reading explanations can help if you're confused or want to tackle a show/episode analysis, but if it was mostly complaints about the plot, the characters, the pacing or anything like that (didn't watched FLCL btw), I'm not sure it would help much but it's always a plus.
It's cool to rewatch something, even if you didn't liked it much the first time. I was seriously disapointed by Texhnolyze, I gave it a 4 without feeling mean or unfair, and put it on top of my rewatch list because it's considered a masterpiece by people that I respect and who have in my opinion great taste. It's just like food, If I dislike something I'll make sure to taste it every once in a while because who knows ? I'm probably missing something delicious and it frustrates me somehow.

GL with your rewatch too but don't force yourself. There's no right choice in this case.

Lol, have fun rewatching Texhnolyze.
Sep 14, 2015 9:28 PM

Jul 2015
FloatingIdiot said:

Yeah thx, but don't worry. Next time I'll be prepared :p. Not sure if I want to prove myself wrong or confirm that it's indeed a meh anime, but there's only one way to vent my frustration toward that show and it's a meticulous rewatch :p.
Sep 14, 2015 9:30 PM

Jun 2015
Clebardman said:
FloatingIdiot said:

Yeah thx, but don't worry. Next time I'll be prepared :p.

In order to enjoy it, you have to endure it.
Sep 14, 2015 9:35 PM

Jul 2015
AltoRoark99 said:
Yeah thx, but don't worry. Next time I'll be prepared :p

Hmm. At this point I have to actively search for reasons to ignore/justify the non-sensical choices of the MC, the plot-armor, and everything that felt like it wasn't making any sense, in a BAD way. Or I can just watch the first episode 22 times, and give the show a 8+ :p.
Sep 14, 2015 9:42 PM

Mar 2015
Clebardman said:
AltoRoark99 said:

Hmm. At this point I have to actively search for reasons to ignore/justify the non-sensical choices of the MC. Or I can just watch the first episode 22 times, and give the show a 8+ :p.

Haha, or rather than prepare to endure, you can just watch something interesting that you haven't seen before! But I wish you all the best, sir. The beginning and ending by themselves are pretty great, yes.
Sep 14, 2015 9:50 PM

Jul 2015
FloatingIdiot said:
Haha, or rather than prepare to endure, you can just watch something interesting that you haven't seen before!

I'm a huge advocate of going back to stuff you found interesting/you feel you didn't understood totally. I've watched The Wall around 30 times, NGE 6 or 7 times, I know Utena since 4 monthes and I'm already in the middle of my first complete rewatch after a partial rewatch+blogs, and there's a dozen books and discs I've bought more than twice in my (still quite short) life. :p.

Entertainment isn't the only thing I'm looking for in books, movies or animes either.
Sep 14, 2015 10:23 PM

Jan 2014
Despite it's wacky and off the walls vibe you get from it, it has a deep meaning with coming of age. If you didn't realize that the first time you were watching this, then idk what to say to u buddy.
Sep 15, 2015 11:21 AM

Mar 2015
Clebardman said:
FloatingIdiot said:
Haha, or rather than prepare to endure, you can just watch something interesting that you haven't seen before!

I'm a huge advocate of going back to stuff you found interesting/you feel you didn't understood totally. I've watched The Wall around 30 times, NGE 6 or 7 times, I know Utena since 4 monthes and I'm already in the middle of my first complete rewatch after a partial rewatch+blogs, and there's a dozen books and discs I've bought more than twice in my (still quite short) life. :p.

Entertainment isn't the only thing I'm looking for in books, movies or animes either.

Well if you somehow got through NGE 6 or 7 times then by all means go for it!
Sep 15, 2015 11:29 AM

Sep 2014
You think Clannad is the best thing ever

I am not surprised that you can't understand the subtlety of good drama and proper storytelling :)
Sep 15, 2015 11:39 AM

Jan 2015
Well it's something different, the most random anime i've seen. There's a lot of good things like the characters which are really deep and interesting, the soundtrack is just insane, the humour's good too ^^ I think that's definetelly enough for people to like it
Sep 15, 2015 11:41 AM

Jan 2015
the true meaning of it is nothing
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Sep 15, 2015 1:16 PM

Jun 2015
At least it's original. I'd make the same question with many other shows
Sep 15, 2015 1:37 PM
Oct 2013
Well, the sheer energy of it appeals to most people. Plus, I actually found it quite relatable, despite its sheer madness.

But nobody is forced to like or rewatch anything. That's important to note.
I am Aleister Morningstar, once General of the 13th Battalion of the Hellsoldiers, and now the Grand-Lord of the Grand Order of the Hellsoldier.

I am Hellsoldier, first and foremost.
Sep 15, 2015 1:40 PM

Jan 2014
Because apparently soundtrack and animation are all dat matter. Also complex penis jokes.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 15, 2015 1:41 PM

Jun 2014
gedata said:
>The Pillows
>MC with a strangely relatable character arc
>Great dub
>Haruhara Haruko
>The Pillows
>Great animation
>Reference to Daicon IV AKA one of the coolest music videos ever
>The Pillows

The real question is why don't more people like it?

Only the live action scooter scene at the credits was good.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Sep 15, 2015 1:44 PM

Mar 2014
also its a very deep story under a lot of good action,
the animation is good, the sound is good, the characters are awesome af.
lub it and mah favorite anime.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ask.fm My blog about me Past forum sets ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Sep 15, 2015 7:07 PM

Oct 2012
LOL @ saying FLCL has bad art/animation quality, it's 15 years old and it's better animated than most stand alone OVAs today. It really pushed the limits on technology at the time.
Sep 15, 2015 7:16 PM

Feb 2010
Feaor said:
LOL @ saying FLCL has bad art/animation quality, it's 15 years old and it's better animated than most stand alone OVAs today. It really pushed the limits on technology at the time.

Indeed, the visuals are the one thing I didn't dislike about it. They were pretty awesome. Based Ohira.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 15, 2015 7:23 PM

Dec 2014
Mostly about the themes whih talks about the sttruggles of growing up, the loneliness and the music

anyways

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
MasterTengkorakSep 16, 2015 3:35 PM
Sep 15, 2015 7:26 PM

Apr 2012
idk i've only watched a couple of episodes in dubbed many many years ago, but the animation / art style was pretty spectacular for its time

Sep 15, 2015 7:29 PM

Oct 2012
Antilope said:
Feaor said:

Indeed, the visuals are the one thing I didn't dislike about it. They were pretty awesome. Based Ohira.
I totally get why people might not like the actual content of the series but yea the audio visual design that went into it is something that I think anyone who really likes animation can appreciate. There are just so many talented people on the list of key animators, even Anno did key animation on it!
Sep 15, 2015 7:30 PM

Sep 2015
Feaor said:

That's right I forgot, animation quality being crap today makes crap animation from fifteen years ago good, or something.

I mean just look at this quality

it rivals high budget films it's so fine
Sep 15, 2015 7:31 PM

Feb 2013
Sentionaut said:
Feaor said:

That's right I forgot, animation quality being crap today makes crap animation
from fifteen years ago good, or something.
I mean just look at this quality

it rivals high budget films it's so fine

Looks fine. When you're trying to make a case against "animation" stills aren't the best way to do it anyway. Just stop.
gedataSep 15, 2015 7:36 PM
Sep 15, 2015 7:36 PM

Jan 2011
Because it's cooly cooly cool.
Sep 16, 2015 1:27 AM

May 2014
Yeah idkw either, the ending sucks so hard like kim sucking kanye's big black fishstick
quit jacking off on your waifu, you disgusting weaboo
Sep 16, 2015 8:57 AM
Apr 2010
Because we live in a society where random/retarded = good.
Sep 16, 2015 3:37 PM

Nov 2011
Moved and Cleaned: Keep the baits and spam to yourselves people.
Oct 16, 2015 7:08 PM

Jan 2013
MiChocoFudge said:
Yeah idkw either, the ending sucks so hard like kim sucking kanye's big black fishstick
NiN10d0h said:
Because we live in a society where random/retarded = good.
Thank you for your well thought out constructive criticism.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 18, 2015 11:12 AM

Nov 2011
This is just something that I thought but maybe, just maybe, it may have to do with your personality type and also level of education. If you're the practical type and someone might have told you that "you have no eye for art", maybe this is not your piece of cake? If you for example struggle with literature, reading into symbols and people, it may be hard for you to get the underlying messages.

And that's totally fine. I'd suggest not to re-watch if you don't want to. I wouldn't waste my time for something I didn't like, even if Elvis would raise from his grave and told me to watch it. (Ok I don't know really, who knows if I would be so shocked that I'd actually go and watch whatever it was.)

I think that if one does not get FLCL at all when they are watching it the first time, nor like it, there is no meaning to watch it again. But if you feel like there's something that interests you, then do watch it again, it might help. If you like it a little the first time, you might just like it some more on the second time! But if you don't like it all, I don't think there's gonna be anything for you there on the second time either. You're already forcing it.

Anyways I hope I didn't sound like too much of an asshole. m(_ _)m
Personally I loved FLCL.
Oct 18, 2015 11:19 AM

Jan 2013
It's just horrible. End of story.
Oct 18, 2015 11:20 AM

Jan 2013
There are things you never understand if you haven't met "requirements", mostly as your personal history and experiences. Of course you can hate something while understanding what it's about, but if you are hating it for being not able to comprehend, that's just pathetic ranting.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Oct 18, 2015 11:21 AM

Apr 2013
Furi Cooly Fooly Kuri. I didn't get anything the first time either, though I did find it enjoyable, the second time it was like watching a completely different anime. You need the key to see beyond the door otherwise it's just a fun looking piece of wood.
Oct 18, 2015 1:43 PM

Jan 2013
"FLCL is the story of boy meets girl. For me it is also about how it's ok to feel stupid. With Evangelion there was this feeling that you had better be smart to understand it, or even just to work on it. With FLCL I want to say that it's okay to feel stupid." - Kazuya Tsurumaki (Director)
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Feb 24, 2016 9:17 AM
Oct 2014
So guys, some site says theres romance in this.
Is that true?
Feb 24, 2016 9:18 AM
Mar 2015
dixie89 said:
Is that true?

Indeed, but it is not really the main focus of that anime.
Feb 24, 2016 9:35 AM
Oct 2014
Grudge said:
dixie89 said:
Is that true?

Indeed, but it is not really the main focus of that anime.

Actually im planning to watch it cos some reviews and rating.
But knowing theres rom in this, idk if i will watch or not.

Btw thx grudge for fast reply, idk someone will replied fast.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

babykeiji - Mar 5, 2008

242 by Devonnius »»
May 12, 9:54 PM

» I don't understand the hype, should I rewatch? ( 1 2 )

C4llum - Aug 8, 2021

79 by ghoulcustomer »»
May 11, 7:15 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Mar 7, 2008

284 by Thurzix »»
Apr 29, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Sep 22, 2008

113 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 25, 10:01 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Sep 22, 2008

125 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 25, 9:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.