Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 9, 2015 9:51 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This time it's a bit different. It's kind of like AMV (w. a song that sounds popular) with only little Italy trying to find a certain flower that Davie introduced, meeting various people and finding out he died at the end...
tsubasaloverSep 9, 2015 9:55 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 9, 2015 9:55 PM

Nov 2011
I'm having a bit of hard time getting that song out of my head right now.
Sep 9, 2015 11:13 PM

Nov 2009
I have no idea what was going on in this episode.
Sep 10, 2015 12:33 AM

Mar 2014
I really didn't understand this episode either.
Sep 10, 2015 2:40 AM

Sep 2015
This was really good! Hetalia's more dramatic episodes are the greatest, especially this one. I think this episode is America fully realizing his immortality and how he's not human like everyone else, and the consequences of that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~When I have something witty to say, I'll put it here~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sep 10, 2015 3:01 AM

Jul 2014
um i don't really know what happened but that was a very random feels episode
Sep 10, 2015 3:25 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Of all the things they could have animated from the strips, they animated this-- damn I wasn't prepared.

Um er, for anyone who is confused, I can try to help-- just a simple translation so you can interpret the meaning (if any) for yourself:

-Little America meets a boy named Davie. They bond over a certain flower which they can't find.
-America tried to find the flower again, no flower. He goes to Davie again as Davie's a young adult, pretty much giving him an update on his search for the flower. Davie kinda doesn't really care; he's moved on kinda but America doesn't really compute.
-America asks UK for the flower. UK says the flower's only in the UK.
-UK says he'll bring it back for him or whatever-- this will obviously take a while since this takes place quite some time in the past.
-America finds Davie again, as an older man and updates him about the flower.
-America goes to find Davie again, but the home he lived in is empty.
-UK gives America the flowers to give to Davie-- though it looks like he knows of Davie's fate as he gives the flowers to an unaware America.
-America rushes to go find Davie, only finding Davie's grandson, though America thinks he's Davie.
-The grandson shows America that Davie's dead.
- America doesn't care and thinks Davie's been reincarnated in his grandson or some crap, showing that America can't really understand how humans work at that point in his life. JK maybe. America's still concerned about the flower.

So in short, America and a human try to find a flower. America stays focused on finding the flower since he has pretty much all the time in the world, but the human grows old.

It's pretty much just about how nations/countries don't age as fast as humans do and it's difficult for them to make connections with or understand their people.

And maybe it's just me but I think the grandson looked a little pissed that he has to worry about how short his life is/all these problems while America is still fascinated by a flower.

I actually really do love the human-nation connection bits of Hetalia, this one has always been a little ehhh to me compared to France's (the Joanne and 'Who Are You' ones) because I always feel like France just carries so much more weight-- because he's seen it all-- he's been strong and he's been weak, but experience is experience all the same.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Sep 10, 2015 3:53 AM

Mar 2014
Is that the episode with the random French man and woman? Cos I never got that one either. It does make sense now, but I really hope the last few episodes have characters we haven't seen yet this season.
Sep 10, 2015 4:19 AM

Jul 2012
Davie ;_;
Sep 10, 2015 4:55 AM

Jul 2013
that was really really sad.... Poor america... I seldom have the "feels" when watching hetalia... Compared to other sad stories like America's storage cleaning, Switzerland and Liechtenstein's story, and Holy Roman Empire... This is by far the SADDEST...
Sep 10, 2015 5:47 AM
May 2013
Swiggy said:
Of all the things they could have animated from the strips, they animated this-- damn I wasn't prepared.

Um er, for anyone who is confused, I can try to help-- just a simple translation so you can interpret the meaning (if any) for yourself:

-Little America meets a boy named Davie. They bond over a certain flower which they can't find.
-America tried to find the flower again, no flower. He goes to Davie again as Davie's a young adult, pretty much giving him an update on his search for the flower. Davie kinda doesn't really care; he's moved on kinda but America doesn't really compute.
-America asks UK for the flower. UK says the flower's only in the UK.
-UK says he'll bring it back for him or whatever-- this will obviously take a while since this takes place quite some time in the past.
-America finds Davie again, as an older man and updates him about the flower.
-America goes to find Davie again, but the home he lived in is empty.
-UK gives America the flowers to give to Davie-- though it looks like he knows of Davie's fate as he gives the flowers to an unaware America.
-America rushes to go find Davie, only finding Davie's grandson, though America thinks he's Davie.
-The grandson shows America that Davie's dead.
- America doesn't care and thinks Davie's been reincarnated in his grandson or some crap, showing that America can't really understand how humans work at that point in his life. JK maybe. America's still concerned about the flower.

So in short, America and a human try to find a flower. America stays focused on finding the flower since he has pretty much all the time in the world, but the human grows old.

It's pretty much just about how nations/countries don't age as fast as humans do and it's difficult for them to make connections with or understand their people.

And maybe it's just me but I think the grandson looked a little pissed that he has to worry about how short his life is/all these problems while America is still fascinated by a flower.

I actually really do love the human-nation connection bits of Hetalia, this one has always been a little ehhh to me compared to France's (the Joanne and 'Who Are You' ones) because I always feel like France just carries so much more weight-- because he's seen it all-- he's been strong and he's been weak, but experience is experience all the same.

Thank you, bit odd to me and something different I never seen in any Anime Show XD, as it making me wonder from Image I thinking about what it trying to say.

But got to say it cute but, wouldn't prefer it in everytime as it can be confusing and first time I see this, plus was Song in English... sound like it, but I doubt it, more like in Japanese.
Have Great Day =)
Animekid3

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Sep 10, 2015 5:47 AM
May 2013
Ana said:
I didn't expect they'd animate this... Nation and human interactions are always so feelsy.

Yeah, same here, and but different and first I ever seen =)
Have Great Day =)
Animekid3

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Sep 10, 2015 6:07 AM
Dec 2009
I agree with the first comment, this is kind of like an AMV. Was expecting something upbeat and funny so was a little surprised.
Sep 10, 2015 8:33 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
That was such an interesting story (and I wished they didn't put the ending sequence since it's so happy-go-lucky and didn't fit the mood, but...) and at first I was confused, since I thought Davie must have been a country, but as it continued, it became more obvious what happened. I didn't get why the adult Davie ignored America, since it seemed like he was avoiding him rather than not really caring, but I guess I read too much into it. The thread helped me see the full clear vision.... Though I don't think he went to see him right after he saw him as a granpa. It was abrupt, but I don't think it was his house. If he was still alive, why wouldn't he still be at home? It seemed like he left the room and then probably went back to his own home and was sad. I'm not really sure what happened there. Also, who were those people in the bubbles? The man had a moustache (so it wasn't Davie) and the woman didn't seem to have his wife's haircut. Oh well... I'm sad now.

This goes together with the episode of France and the reincarnated Joan D'arc; meaningful and dramatic. It has a great impact since almost every epi is full of comedy.
MaffySep 10, 2015 8:38 AM
Sep 10, 2015 9:57 AM

May 2011
The Davie feels are back. ;n; I'm glad they adapted it, although I think I liked the original strip a lot better.

Maffy said:
Also, who were those people in the bubbles? The man had a moustache (so it wasn't Davie) and the woman didn't seem to have his wife's haircut.

Davie is asking where America's parents are -- he doesn't recognize America. It's not that Davie's being a jerk and just blowing off little America each time he comes to update him about the flower... to him America's just a random little kid shouting his name and chattering about some flower he probably doesn't even remember.

Sep 10, 2015 10:03 AM

Mar 2013
I was not ready for the feels.
Sep 10, 2015 12:29 PM

Dec 2008
Hetalia is not supposed to make me cry, but my face right now is...
Sep 10, 2015 9:11 PM

Oct 2011
DAVIE AHHHHHHHHHHH EHHHHHHHHH T______________T

Just like France Episode T__________________T
Sep 11, 2015 9:19 AM
Mar 2012
Noooooo, Davieeee :'(
Sep 11, 2015 7:56 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Shuichi2 said:
Is that the episode with the random French man and woman? Cos I never got that one either. It does make sense now, but I really hope the last few episodes have characters we haven't seen yet this season.
To be honest, I kinda liked the original 'Who Are You' France strip a little better (although it never went anywhere) than the remade one which the episode was based off, but what can you do?

yumekotan said:
He doesn't recognize America. It's not that Davie's being a jerk and just blowing off little America each time he comes to update him about the flower... to him America's just a random little kid shouting his name and chattering about some flower he probably doesn't even remember.
Also this.

Sep 12, 2015 12:14 PM
Apr 2015
this episode was different but very nice. I like this episode.
I'm not sure who the little child was, Italy or America or another country ? Know anybody that ?

NazgulDecimSep 12, 2015 12:26 PM
Sep 12, 2015 2:47 PM
Jul 2015
DAVIEEEEEE T^T
Sep 12, 2015 9:13 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Nazgul_Decim said:
I'm not sure who the little child was, Italy or America or another country ? Know anybody that ?

It's America.

I'm actually surprised that you and some others are getting little Italy and Little America mixed up! Then again, a lot of people have said for years that the characters in Hetalia all look the same. I have no argument against that.

Sep 12, 2015 11:36 PM

Jan 2012
Why didn't people understand the episode?? LOL

Well, I wasn't expecting this, I was so not ready
Hetalia has only made me cry from laughing, but this episode.... was differente ;;;
Sep 17, 2015 1:03 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
tsubasalover said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This time it's a bit different. It's kind of like AMV (w. a song that sounds popular) with only little Italy trying to find a certain flower that Davie introduced, meeting various people and finding out he died at the end...

It's little America.

And wow, a pretty depressing video.
Sep 20, 2015 2:52 AM
Apr 2015
Swiggy said:
Nazgul_Decim said:

It's America.

I'm actually surprised that you and some others are getting little Italy and Little America mixed up! Then again, a lot of people have said for years that the characters in Hetalia all look the same. I have no argument against that.

Thanks

I don`t think that all characters look the same but in this situation, I wash't sure and I what to ask. normally I can distinguish the characters i hetalia also when they are little.
Sep 22, 2015 11:06 AM

Jul 2014
Oh man, human-nation connections are so feelsy.
Loved this episode. 5 minutes, 1 history, no words... great.

Btw, it's little America, not Italy! They're way too different just by looking at them (the hair, eye's colour... it's obvious idk).
Oct 23, 2015 5:08 PM

Sep 2013
I think the flowers they were after were forget-me-nots which makes it even more feelsy ;--;
Dec 20, 2015 12:27 PM
Apr 2012
Other than giving me a hard time figuring out who's who, this didn't do anything for me. I don't feel Hetalia works when it takes itself too seriously.
Dec 24, 2015 1:45 PM

Jun 2015
I love the song and I didn't get the story but I feel really sad now mostly because of the song
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 13, 2016 1:07 AM

Sep 2009
aw that was actually really cute. i was marathonning this series to get it off my watching list and this was definitely the only episode that i watched all the way through without constantly checking how much time was left.
Mar 14, 2016 6:08 AM

Dec 2015
Damn, I really wasn't ready for those feels...

Poor little America.. It was probably the first time he realised he was immortal and that he would eventually watch all his loved ones grow old and die while he lives on.

So sad :( Maybe that is why America is so up beat when he is older, he had to learn from a young age that the people he loved would eventually die so he became strong and powerful so he could protect those he loves and forget about what is truly hurting him from the past.
Apr 8, 2016 8:15 AM

Oct 2009
Hit me with the feels maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan ;_______;

Jun 20, 2016 6:04 AM
Dec 2015
I realize that nation they can live longer while for us aging then die
This episode made me cry too
WHYYY ALL THE HETALIA EPISODES THAT DRAMATIC MADE ME CRY LIKE
America revolutionary war
Chibitalia and others
But this episode is different its bit gloomy like revolutionary war
Ann_TamarinJun 28, 2016 2:24 AM
Jun 28, 2016 7:57 PM
Jul 2015
ok this was very sad
Jan 1, 2017 7:24 AM
Jul 2018
I really loved this episode when it came out and just rewatched it today. It is one that has turned out really interpretive from what I've been seeing online but on the dub blu ray, there is a bonus feature that explains each episode's historic origins to great depth. The explanation about this episode was about how botany books used to be inaccurate back in the 1600s, often explaining strange and incredible flowers that people would spend their whole lives searching for, often never returning or completing the journey. The passage in time in the episode represented the long quests people at the time went on to discover these flowers and make a more accurate depictions of flowers for these books. America was searching for a flower called a blue daisy, which is only native to South Africa ((a British colony at the time)) but by the time he was able to discover the blue daisy and bring it home, Davie had already passed on.

Here is the flower: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felicia_amelloides

Hetalia never fails to amaze me with the stories it brings up. Many have been worth looking up more about in my free time.
removed-userJan 1, 2017 7:52 AM
May 13, 2017 2:53 PM

Jan 2013
What a huge surprise compared to the previous eps but it's still great.
The song reminds me of "The Full Moon Slightly Chipped" <--- Alois Tracy character song. The same vibe you know which is amazing.
ALSO, SHUT UP ITALY. THE FANDOM IS CRYING. IT'S SERIOUSLY BAD TIME FOR SINGING YOUR ENDING SONG! XDD

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Nov 1, 2017 10:17 AM

Oct 2009
ngl tears were pricking at the corner of my eyes

America was so cute and adamant about finding the flower. Kinda sad that America remained oblivious even till the end...I guess it showed his innocence as a child?
Jan 22, 2020 4:51 PM
Oct 2018
This episode was so beautiful and sad
Jan 15, 2021 2:12 PM

Jan 2017
I got the message about how every country has mortality.

But.....and this may make me sound stupid.....who is Davie supposed to be? Have we seen him before?
Dec 20, 2021 12:30 PM

Aug 2018
I'm not sure about identity of the child.. But it was country, it seems.. He was immortal, and his friend died.. Again not sure about friend's identity, but he was mortal, it seems.. But the story is about country's immortality regardless, it seems..

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hetalia: The World Twinkle Episode 15 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2015

14 by Gendolfas »»
Dec 20, 2021 1:01 PM

Poll: » Hetalia: The World Twinkle Episode 14 Discussion

AkemiInoue - Sep 30, 2015

10 by Gendolfas »»
Dec 20, 2021 12:53 PM

Poll: » Hetalia: The World Twinkle Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2015

11 by Gendolfas »»
Dec 20, 2021 12:47 PM

Poll: » Hetalia: The World Twinkle Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2015

9 by Gendolfas »»
Dec 20, 2021 12:36 PM

Poll: » Hetalia: The World Twinkle Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2015

7 by Gendolfas »»
Dec 20, 2021 11:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.